PDA

View Full Version : House panel passes college football playoff bill

NateDawg39
12-10-2009, 07:26 PM
By FREDERIC J. FROMMER, Associated
WASHINGTON (AP)—Dismissing complaints from some members that Congress had more pressing matters, a House subcommittee approved legislation Wednesday aimed at forcing college football to switch to a playoff system to determine its national champion.

“We can walk across the street and chew gum at the same time,” said the subcommittee chairman, Illinois Democrat Bobby Rush, one of the bill’s co-sponsors. “We can do a number of things at the same time.”

The legislation, which still faces steep odds, would ban the promotion of a postseason NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision game as a national championship unless it results from a playoff. The measure passed by voice vote in the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s commerce, trade and consumer protection subcommittee, with one audible “no,” from Rep. John Barrow, D-Ga.

“With all due respect, I really think we have more important things to spend our time on,” Barrow said before the vote, although he stressed he didn’t like the current Bowl Championship Series, either.

The BCS selections announced last weekend pit two unbeaten teams, No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Texas, in the Jan. 7 national title game. Three other undefeated teams—TCU, Cincinnati and Boise State—will play in a BCS bowl game, but not for the championship.

“What can we say—it’s December and the BCS is in chaos again,” said the bill’s sponsor, Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, the top Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee. He said the BCS system is unfair and won’t change unless prompted by Congress.

The legislation, which goes to the full committee, would make it illegal to promote a national championship game “or make a similar representation,” unless it results from a playoff.

There is no Senate version, although Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, has pressed for a Justice Department antitrust investigation into the BCS.

Shortly after his election last year, Barack Obama said there should be a playoff system.

In a statement before the vote, BCS executive director Bill Hancock said, “With all the serious matters facing our country, surely Congress has more important issues than spending taxpayer money to dictate how college football is played.”

Yet Barrow wasn’t alone in criticizing his colleagues’ priorities; Reps. Zach Space, D-Ohio, and Bart Stupak, D-Mich., made similar arguments. Space said that with people facing tough times, the decision to focus on college football sends the “wrong message.”

The legislation has a tough road ahead, given the wide geographic representation and political clout of schools in the six conferences that have automatic BCS bowl bids—the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10 and SEC.

The current college bowl system features a championship game between the two top teams in the BCS standings, based on two polls and six computer rankings. Eight other schools play in the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose bowls.

Under the BCS, the champions of those six big conference have automatic bids, while other conferences don’t. Those six conferences also receive far more money than the other conferences.

I get news later over here so get over it if its already known

Gobbla2001
12-10-2009, 08:20 PM
not saying I wouldn't like the result seeing as I've been preaching "we need a playoff" like just about everyone else, but I'd rather our congress and senate not be involved...

this beast of the BCS is breaking no laws and is stripping no one of their rights and needs... should be none of our government's business...

bandera7
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Agreed 100% Gobbla. I do not necessarily like it. But why does Congress feel the right to stick their nose in this?

bwdlionfan
12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
While they're at it they should get rid of the electoral college

bobcat4life
12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I would like a playoff better, but I dont like that our government is getting involved. Maybe thats why our government is crumbling:thinking:

Gobbla2001
12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Only thing I can think of when it comes to playing "Devil's Advocate" is that some of these universities are "State" schools... so I would only agree with legislation coming from the STATES... but what could that legislation do? Ban State schools from within that state from participating?

interesting... and I want at LEAST a +1 so bad... but get your nose out of it Big Brother...

Farmersfan
12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Only thing I can think of when it comes to playing "Devil's Advocate" is that some of these universities are "State" schools... so I would only agree with legislation coming from the STATES... but what could that legislation do? Ban State schools from within that state from participating?

interesting... and I want at LEAST a +1 so bad... but get your nose out of it Big Brother...

I would also have a problem with gov't involvement if they were trying to dictate how the BCS handled their business. But that's not what they are doing. Congress is simply saying that the BCS cannot claim their bowl game is a true National Championship. Why is this a problem? Everyone knows it isn't truly a National Championship game! It's nothing but a lable attached to it by the BCS. If the BCS doesn't want to implement a playoff system then they can continue as they are except simply call the "Title" game the BCS Championship Game. Or College Superbowl. Just not National Championship.

Black_Magic
12-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I would also have a problem with gov't involvement if they were trying to dictate how the BCS handled their business. But that's not what they are doing. Congress is simply saying that the BCS cannot claim their bowl game is a true National Championship. Why is this a problem? Everyone knows it isn't truly a National Championship game! It's nothing but a lable attached to it by the BCS. If the BCS doesn't want to implement a playoff system then they can continue as they are except simply call the "Title" game the BCS Championship Game. Or College Superbowl. Just not National Championship. Agreed. They didnt say or dictate how the BCS does it other than saying that a "National Championship" game Must be preceeded by some sort of elimination playoff. That could mean between 3 teams if they wanted. For instance #3 and #2 could play to see who plays against #1. Long time coming IMO. Something needs to be done if the Bama's and the Florida's and others Refuse to put a TCU or a Boise State on the schedule during the season. Thats part of the problem. Boise and TCU cant get some of the "Big dogs" to play them so when they do go undefeated the others claim " They dont play anybody". Im glad they steped in to do something.

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Here's another Devil's advocate for the government getting involved:

The BCS could be violating anti-trust or monopoly laws (if loosely interpreted) by limiting the number of universities who have the opportunity to compete for a national championship as well as giving an unfair advantage to certain conferences.

There is so much money involved in the current system that the rich continue to get richer while other places like Troy or Houston for example cannot compete on that level. The money that is involved goes a long way toward improving a school's educational abilities. The more money they win, the more they have to build better facilities, and the better they do, the more donations that will come into a school that can benefit and lead to a greater educational experience from all students of the university.

Think of a playoff system being the first way to ensure a sort of parity among universities allowing smaller schools to compete with larger schools on a national stage.

STANG RED
12-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

The BCS could be violating anti-trust or monopoly laws (if loosely interpreted) by limiting the number of universities who have the opportunity to compete for a national championship as well as giving an unfair advantage to certain conferences.

There is so much money involved in the current system that the rich continue to get richer while other places like Troy or Houston for example cannot compete on that level. The money that is involved goes a long way toward improving a school's educational abilities. The more money they win, the more they have to build better facilities, and the better they do, the more donations that will come into a school that can benefit and lead to a greater educational experience from all students of the university.

Think of a playoff system being the first way to ensure a sort of parity among universities allowing smaller schools to compete with larger schools on a national stage.

I agree with everything you just said except for the government envolvment. We all know they will overstep their bounds, as always.

Why cant all those schools you mentioned form a coalition and file an anti-trust suit against the BCS? Seems to me they have a great case, buy all the reasons you just mentioned. I think this would force the BCS's hand to do what we all want them to, and yet get the politicians out of it, as they should be.

Pick6
12-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
While they're at it they should get rid of the electoral college

Bad idea, smaller populated states would have no say at all. Texas, California, New York and Florida would choose the President if that happened. It could use some tweaking that's for sure. But it is needed.

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
As I said before..All the BCS has to do is come up with a catchy name for their title game and people will call it that.

We always call the Nfl champs the Superbowl Camps over the NFL Champions and so on.

Emerson1
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Still far far away from being on the presidents desk. Article I read said a sub committee passed in and it would then go to a full committee > house > senate > president. Then of course the supreme court when their is a law suit

playnhurt
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
The government does not need to get involved with our college football system. Leave the BCS system alone. No, it is not perfect. Some team or teams that think they deserve a shot at the National Championship will always feel left out.

If you had a 4-team playoff, then #5 would complain, 8-teams, then it would be #9 griping. 16-teams and you'd hear from # 17 etc., etc.

If you only let conference Champions in the playoff bracket I could see schools that finish in the middle to bottom of each conference year in and year out looking to get into weaker conferences. Especially SEC and Big 12 schools.

I liked the old school way when you had a UPI Champ and an AP Champ. If it happened that you had 2 National Champions, SO WHAT? Did Congress stick their noses in then? H3ll no, they tended to the job they were elected to do.

For all of you pro-playoff system fans, please share your ideas of how it should work. I'll start another post for that

Black_Magic
12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by playnhurt
The government does not need to get involved with our college football system. Leave the BCS system alone. No, it is not perfect. Some team or teams that think they deserve a shot at the National Championship will always feel left out.

If you had a 4-team playoff, then #5 would complain, 8-teams, then it would be #9 griping. 16-teams and you'd hear from # 17 etc., etc.

You dont have this kind of problem with the NCAA basketball tourney... Look you cant perfect it. but you can IMPROVE it tremendosly. Bottom line it has been unfair. and the BCS refuses to fix it. IF you had a National championship playoff of say 8 teams then you still would have a few say they were left out. BUT I doubt you would have more than say 5-7 undefeated teams going in to it so overall you could find the best team if the top 8 played off for it.

playnhurt
12-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Black Magic are you implying that only undefeated teams should get to participate?

hawkfan
12-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I am in favor of a play-off system. I really don't want the government to get involved. But if they don't I promise you a play-off system will never, ever, ever happen.

Gobbla2001
12-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I would also have a problem with gov't involvement if they were trying to dictate how the BCS handled their business. But that's not what they are doing. Congress is simply saying that the BCS cannot claim their bowl game is a true National Championship. Why is this a problem?

Uhm, because the government is telling a private business what they may or may not label their product?

Because I don't want the government telling me I cannot call my bbq the "best bbq in town" if I were to ever have a bbq joint?

EDIT: Just re-read your question... THEY ARE TRYING TO DICTATE HOW THE BCS HANDLES THEIR BUSINESS

Can't believe I missed that... it was hitting me in the face the whole time I'm sure...

Black_Magic
12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by playnhurt
Black Magic are you implying that only undefeated teams should get to participate? No not at all... Im just wanting a legitimate NC. I really think that if you took the top 8 out of the BCS and let them play off for it, you would have a legit NC. right now. TCU, Boise and Cinci have a claim they deserve to be there and in ways they have an argument. I think if you let those top 8 play for it then you would have a real NC. Personaly I think TCU has a good reason to feel screwed. Kinda Like Texas was last year.

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
No not at all... Im just wanting a legitimate NC. I really think that if you took the top 8 out of the BCS and let them play off for it, you would have a legit NC. right now. TCU, Boise and Cinci have a claim they deserve to be there and in ways they have an argument. I think if you let those top 8 play for it then you would have a real NC. Personaly I think TCU has a good reason to feel screwed. Kinda Like Texas was last year.

thing that hurts TCU..their SOS was weaker than Texas AND Cincy..so if Texas did not make it, Cincy has a better claim imo

Gobbla2001
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
And while we're at it, I'll defend the government for a tad (wow, gunna defend the government, check outside for snow... wait that might not work anymore seeing it does snow more often now):

it's not like these guys sit around all day figuring out a way to get playoffs in college football etc... while "there are more important things they need to be worrying about"... they probably just have a general opinion on it and maybe in the past have adressed it in an interview etc...

some lawyers and some lobbyists have gotten together, figured out a way of getting some legislation passed and have handed it to these guys to discuss for five minutes before passing it out of committee...

What REALLLY gets on my nerves, though, is when stuff like this gets to the floor... in the end Congress will vote unanimously to recognize let's say "The 2008-2009 Florida Gators for winning the BCS National championship"... none of these guys and gals were NOT going to vote to recognize, yet they'll still have about 5 members of congress give however many-minute speeches on what the university has accomplished and it's pretty much a regurgitation of what the others said...

I can imagine this BCS issue would have a lot of debate that would take a lot of time... but they usually queeze things like this in when things are slow...

Gobbla2001
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

A great Devil's Advocate...

I'll try to break it down point by point (your exercise brings up two good points)...

Point 1: The BCS could be violating anti-trust or monopoly laws (if loosely interpreted) by limiting the number of universities who have the opportunity to compete for a national championship as well as giving an unfair advantage to certain conferences.

By including human polls in their formula, the BCS itself is NOT limiting the number of universities that have the opportunity to compete for their "national championship"... a lot of it is left up to the human mind, which naturally government would love to regulate... but you'll find the argument to the first point semi goes along with the argument to the second...

---

Point 2:
There is so much money involved in the current system that the rich continue to get richer while other places like Troy or Houston for example cannot compete on that level.

Houston was used as an example... They played an away game against a highly ranked team from a highly thought about confrence... They won the game and SHOT up in the rankings... had they not lost to poor teams in confrence, they would have continued to climb up the polls...

Boise St. is a great example when discussing the "Houston/Troy" type teams... Had Boise St. gone undefeated 6 years ago they would not be in the top 10 right now... but by doing all of the things required to be considered a top team in the highest classification in college football the past few years, they have at LEAST put themselves in the running each and every year... just like a business, they have to make a name for themselves before being taken seriously... they've finally done that and will continue to rise up if they keep up their winning ways...

BULLS1993
12-11-2009, 10:48 PM
not saying I wouldn't like the result seeing as I've been preaching "we need a playoff" like just about everyone else, but I'd rather our congress and senate not be involved...

this beast of the BCS is breaking no laws and is stripping no one of their rights and needs... should be none of our government's business...

you are correct sir. BUT they waste time and money anyway so i say let em finally handle something that WE care about. if theyre wasting time anyway, why not solve this lil pointless problem while theyre at it

SintonFan
12-11-2009, 11:06 PM

I agree!