PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame

Daddy D 11
12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Reports are saying Kelly is the new coach.

NastySlot
12-10-2009, 06:17 PM
thats what espn is reporting....believe they re going to have him on.

Daddy D 11
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I really like him and what he is about. I just don't think he will get it done at the level that ND wants. I mean if he goes out and has a couple 9-3 seasons that is an obvious improvement after what Weis did but if Notre Dame was looking to run the table every year and get in national title contention I don't think he can do it. In my honest opinion I thought there was only 3 men in america that could have and those three are Pete Carroll, Stoops and Urban Meyer. I said last month if they get anyone else it will be another disappointment. Maybe not as big of one as Weis was but another disappointment for sure.

scrub c
12-10-2009, 07:56 PM
noter-who?

Johnnypaycheck
12-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Notre Dame still plays football? They are the cupcakes on all the big time team's schedules now.

Gobbla2001
12-10-2009, 09:24 PM
If they have as much patience with Kelly as they had with Weis I think he CAN turn it around... look what he did at Cincy...

I think Kelly's resume when it comes to improving Cincy's program may seal the deal more for recruits more than the name "Notre Dame" will...

I think Kelly is a great hire... his first full year at Cincy he led 'em to 10 wins... second year the confrence title and third year (now) an undefeated season...

he's proven...

Snydertigersrul
12-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
Notre Dame still plays football? They are the cupcakes on all the big time team's schedules now.

Isn't Notre Dame becoming the favorite for the homecoming opponent?

Daddy D 11
12-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Isn't Notre Dame becoming the favorite for the homecoming opponent?

Yes, because they suck.

WTF-82
12-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Well I will say this I have been a big Notre Dame fan since I was a boy. And learned the traditions of ND growing up in Monahans. My family well we were probably the only true ND fans in West Texas, many people liked the Holtz and the Zoriches the Tim Brown's but not the same love for them that me and my family have had for the School and Football program Yes we are Subway Alumni type fans. And Honestly ND and Monahans football is a big tradition for us my brothers,sister and cousins nephews and the rest of the family. This is when we get close every year my parents and family love it. I married a women who learned to love ND and she has the same feelings for them now. My daughter is a standout in soccer and her first choice to play in Div 1 program in soccer is ND, her choice not mine whether this happens or not only GOD knows but I love the goals that she has.

I say all of this so everyone knows I am a ND man so I follow the program closely.

So I will say this is the greatest hire since Lou Holtz day. I liked Davie but he could not do it with his style at ND. Tyrone is a good man but not good enough and recruiting hurt him bad. Weis could recruit but it was all about offense for him he forgot to recruit Defensive players and it showed. I was never impressed with Davie,Tyrone or Weis when hired. I knew Davie could coach defense but being a head man is very different Weis found that out over his 5.
Brian Kelley was my choice he is the guy I wanted from the start over Stoops or Urban both of these are great coaches but I new they would not leave were they are why would they Stoops has dominated the Big 12 since 2000 and Urban the SEC 3 out of 4 not bad. But Kelley is a great overall coach, that can fill in to the offense scheme we have started. Dayne Crist will be his QB a former 5 star QB from HS. He understands all phases of the game and defense will be his first big job. Cincinatti lost 10 defensive starters from last year and still fought all year long and helped there offense and special teams go 12-0. He can recruit and now with the ND behind him he will be able not only to go to OHIO and still recruit there but also to recruit Flordia,California,and hopefully Texas to get some of our incredible HS football players here.

Hey I am very happy with this hire 15- years ago we thought OU would not win again till Stoops got there. In the 80's and 90's we thought UT would not be a top 10 program againt then Mack and his recruiting machine got there. We thought that USC would never be a National Champions again then Pete Carroll changed it. We never thought Kelley would not win back to back Conference Championships at Ciny and he did. Trust me he can get it done nothing is easy but I have faith that Kelley is the top choice for ND to try to get them back as a National Power.

big daddy russ
12-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Kelly's a great hire. Was one of the top three available coaches right now IMO.

TheDOCTORdre
12-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Kelly's a great hire. Was one of the top three available coaches right now IMO.

+1

OldBison75
12-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Kelly is a great hire for this program. He has taken a lower tier school and turned that program around with smart coaching, great recruiting, and enthusiasm. The ND faithful will fall in line behind this guy and that will be doubled on the team. ND will be back in the news next year as the surprise team of College Football. I bet he puts a great recruiting class together and molds the current team to his style quickly. The result will be a 10 win season next year. All who think ND will be the weak opponent in the next few years, better hope thier contract to play them expires next year.

SWMustang
12-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Kelly is a great hire for this program. He has taken a lower tier school and turned that program around with smart coaching, great recruiting, and enthusiasm. .

I thought the same thing about Franchione when he came to A&M.

BDB
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I thought the same thing about Franchione when he came to A&M.

And we have seen how great that hire was!!!!!:foul: :foul: :foul:

Daddy D 11
12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
Well I will say this I have been a big Notre Dame fan since I was a boy. And learned the traditions of ND growing up in Monahans. My family well we were probably the only true ND fans in West Texas, many people liked the Holtz and the Zoriches the Tim Brown's but not the same love for them that me and my family have had for the School and Football program Yes we are Subway Alumni type fans. And Honestly ND and Monahans football is a big tradition for us my brothers,sister and cousins nephews and the rest of the family. This is when we get close every year my parents and family love it. I married a women who learned to love ND and she has the same feelings for them now. My daughter is a standout in soccer and her first choice to play in Div 1 program in soccer is ND, her choice not mine whether this happens or not only GOD knows but I love the goals that she has.

I say all of this so everyone knows I am a ND man so I follow the program closely.

So I will say this is the greatest hire since Lou Holtz day. I liked Davie but he could not do it with his style at ND. Tyrone is a good man but not good enough and recruiting hurt him bad. Weis could recruit but it was all about offense for him he forgot to recruit Defensive players and it showed. I was never impressed with Davie,Tyrone or Weis when hired. I knew Davie could coach defense but being a head man is very different Weis found that out over his 5.
Brian Kelley was my choice he is the guy I wanted from the start over Stoops or Urban both of these are great coaches but I new they would not leave were they are why would they Stoops has dominated the Big 12 since 2000 and Urban the SEC 3 out of 4 not bad. But Kelley is a great overall coach, that can fill in to the offense scheme we have started. Dayne Crist will be his QB a former 5 star QB from HS. He understands all phases of the game and defense will be his first big job. Cincinatti lost 10 defensive starters from last year and still fought all year long and helped there offense and special teams go 12-0. He can recruit and now with the ND behind him he will be able not only to go to OHIO and still recruit there but also to recruit Flordia,California,and hopefully Texas to get some of our incredible HS football players here.

Hey I am very happy with this hire 15- years ago we thought OU would not win again till Stoops got there. In the 80's and 90's we thought UT would not be a top 10 program againt then Mack and his recruiting machine got there. We thought that USC would never be a National Champions again then Pete Carroll changed it. We never thought Kelley would not win back to back Conference Championships at Ciny and he did. Trust me he can get it done nothing is easy but I have faith that Kelley is the top choice for ND to try to get them back as a National Power.

I love the loyalty. Specially out in West Texas where it would be easy to root for Tech or UTEP or anyone else. But I think Kelly won't get you guys to the above mentioned levels that Stoops, Meyer and Brown have their programs. I think he is a great coach and I certainly won't be shocked if he turns it around. However, I see the days of Notre Dame recruiting the south and west all but gone. With the emergence of the SEC as a whole and the big 12's expansion to the spread, I don't think any player raised in the south/west is going to go up to Notre Dame to play in the cold, to play an independent schedule and to go to the classes that Notre Dame requires when he can stay home. It's cheaper, warmer, the offense will be the same and the classes will be easy not to mention he will be familiar with everything if he stays closer to home. I think Kelly will improve them, but I don't think they will be a power.

pirate4state
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Did yall see the interviews with some of the Cincy players on Sportscenter? :eek: :eek:

Can't say that I blame them, but a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Only thing I would be worried about..Did he win with HIS players at Cincy or the past staffs players? Other than that a solid coach

Daddy D 11
12-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Did yall see the interviews with some of the Cincy players on Sportscenter? :eek: :eek:

Can't say that I blame them, but a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

Yeah they were mad but I think they were more mad about him promising them that he would stay THEN going. If he wouldn't have assured them he would stay I don't think it would have been as bad. I mean that's your leader and then he lies to you? That's rough.

Should have just said from the beginning that "I'm entertaining the idea" instead of leading them on towards false hope you know?

Still agree with his decision, always got to look out for #1.

pirate4state
12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Yeah they were mad but I think they were more mad about him promising them that he would stay THEN going. If he wouldn't have assured them he would stay I don't think it would have been as bad. I mean that's your leader and then he lies to you? That's rough.

Should have just said from the beginning that "I'm entertaining the idea" instead of leading them on towards false hope you know?

Still agree with his decision, always got to look out for #1. I hadn't really followed what he did or didn't say to them. I just found their comments interesting. :D One of them pretty much said it was all THEM and he didn't have squat to do with their success. hehe

STANG RED
12-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I love the loyalty. Specially out in West Texas where it would be easy to root for Tech or UTEP or anyone else. But I think Kelly won't get you guys to the above mentioned levels that Stoops, Meyer and Brown have their programs. I think he is a great coach and I certainly won't be shocked if he turns it around. However, I see the days of Notre Dame recruiting the south and west all but gone. With the emergence of the SEC as a whole and the big 12's expansion to the spread, I don't think any player raised in the south/west is going to go up to Notre Dame to play in the cold, to play an independent schedule and to go to the classes that Notre Dame requires when he can stay home. It's cheaper, warmer, the offense will be the same and the classes will be easy not to mention he will be familiar with everything if he stays closer to home. I think Kelly will improve them, but I don't think they will be a power.

Ditto!
ND will be a whole different world than what he's seen before. I wish him luck, but conditions across the entire country in college football are far different than what they were during the ND dominant years. I dont care who the coach is, I dont see ND ever becoming the football power they once were. The great athletes just have far too many more attractive options now days. ND might as well join the Ivy League, where they belong. Not saying thats a bad thing at all.

Daddy D 11
12-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Ditto!
ND will be a whole different world than what he's seen before. I wish him luck, but conditions across the entire country in college football are far different than what they were during the ND dominant years. I dont care who the coach is, I dont see ND ever becoming the football power they once were. The great athletes just have far too many more attractive options now days. ND might as well join the Ivy League, where they belong. Not saying thats a bad thing at all.

Need to join the Big Ten, that's what should happen. Big Ten ironically has 11 teams and has said they want a 12th. Actually been saying that for years, now why wouldn't Notre Dame go be that 12th team? So that way they can split the conference into 2 divisions and have a conference championship game that would drastically help their media coverage heading into the bowl season.

StangEm
12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
This whole Notre Dame thing seems a lot like what's going on at A&M. New coach comes in....oops.....Same Ole Shizzle......new coach.....oops....Same Ole Shizzle.

scrub c
12-11-2009, 04:08 PM
ND cant get the recruits it once could. They cant say they are the only team that plays on TV week in and week out... Heck they all do now... (who cares if its on the ocho- espn 8 or whatever)

big daddy russ
12-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
ND cant get the recruits it once could. They cant say they are the only team that plays on TV week in and week out... Heck they all do now... (who cares if its on the ocho- espn 8 or whatever)
That's not true. It's kinda like the people who say that recruits won't come to A&M anymore. Recruiting's not (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2006) the (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2007) problem (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2008). Jimmy Clausen was the nation's top recruit.

Simple fact of the matter is that ND's tradition will get as many kids in the door as the coach that's there. No other school can offer the total package quite like Notre Dame. They have the tradition, the championships, and are one of only two elite programs that are also elite academically (USC being the other). On top of all that, no matter how well or how poorly ND is doing, they'll be on the air. Kids love that. Only USC and UCLA can boast that. Heck, even A&M was only on air twice this year, and it was a bowl year for one of the most popular college teams in the nation.

Notre Dame's fine. It will be for a long time. The coaching, on the other hand, isn't. Hasn't been for a long time.

GreenMonster
12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Need to join the Big Ten, that's what should happen. Big Ten ironically has 11 teams and has said they want a 12th. Actually been saying that for years, now why wouldn't Notre Dame go be that 12th team? So that way they can split the conference into 2 divisions and have a conference championship game that would drastically help their media coverage heading into the bowl season.

ND wouldn't be able to keep their very lucrative NBC contract if they joined the Big 10. they would be forced to join the network that the Big 10 is contracted to and have to split the $$$ from that contract 12 ways instead of keeoing the whole pie.

GreenMonster
12-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by scrub c

ESPN guys were talking about this the other day. They said that the admissions standards at ND were equivalent to Ivy League standards and that a big part of the reason Lou Holtz had success was that he convinced the powers that be to reduce those standards a little bit. Lou left and the old admissions standards returned. All coaches since have had to recruit under those stiff admissions standards. Bob Davie graduated 100% of the football players that played in his tenure and 100% of his recruits that stayed after his departure graduated as well. That says a lot about the type of kids ND recruits.

Spread It Out
12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I think this is a terrific hire for Notre Dame. Kelly is a man who has had success at schools that weren't used to it. He won 2 National Championships at Grand Valley State, and turned the Cincinnati program around. ND is one of the best recruiting teams in the nation and has been for a while. Offense is fine and has been for ND, it's the defense that needs work. Another thing that sort of hurts ND is that kids have to go through the full academic admissions process to be accepted there rather than going through the football coach's admission standards. All in all, Notre Dame will be a top tier team but do not see them win a National Championship for another 5-6 years atleast. I think Kelly will take them to some great bowl games in his first few years and possibly a BCS bowl by his 2-3 year.