PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown at UT until 2016

Bullaholic
12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/highereducation/entries/2009/12/09/ut_regents_approve_football_co.html

Keith7
12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
what's he doing at Tennessee??

NateDawg39
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
what's he doing at Tennessee?? :doh:

Bullaholic
12-09-2009, 06:31 PM

That's "UT" as in "University of Texas", G'ville boy...not the letters you haters use.

dawg4life
12-09-2009, 06:49 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

zebrablue2
12-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
That's "UT" as in "University of Texas", G'ville boy...not the letters you haters use.

he knows bull, also loves to :stirpot: just ignore each post he makes, and he will disappear like always...

Bullaholic
12-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
he knows bull, also loves to :stirpot: just ignore each post he makes, and he will disappear like always...

LOL--Oh, I know Keith well, zebra---he is like my Lab---he will knock you down until you pet him or tell him to sit. :D

Rabbit'93
12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
wasn't he already locked up through '16? So this basically amounts to a $2 mil. raise. In a recession even....must be nice.

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
wasn't he already locked up through '16? So this basically amounts to a $2 mil. raise. In a recession even....must be nice.

everybody else is in a recession the horns are living it up as the largest revenue makers in college football........there was an article i can't remember when one day in the statesman...$87.6 i believe was the income................they gotta love all those t-shirts being sold at walmart and grocery stores throughout the state...caps at convience stores............somebody in the athletic (mkt) dept at texas isn't a fool.

i think if i remember royalities, advertising and sponsorships made up like 10 million...and was a huge increase...like 30-40%

also stadium expansion helps.

Maroon87
12-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Well the hostesses said "come to Tennessee" and he's got a little time to kill, so what the heck?

Plus, they played Bama tighter than anyone this season.:thinking:

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
everybody else is in a recession the horns are living it up as the largest revenue makers in college football........there was an article i can't remember when one day in the statesman...$87.6 i believe was the income................they gotta love all those t-shirts being sold at walmart and grocery stores throughout the state...caps at convience stores............somebody in the athletic (mkt) dept at texas isn't a fool.

i think if i remember royalities, advertising and sponsorships made up like 10 million...and was a huge increase...like 30-40%

A&M has hats and shirts at the same places..I bet they are doing well

Daddy D 11
12-09-2009, 08:53 PM

So you are bitter towards the University of Texas because the administration is more intelligent than TAMU's?

Is stadium expansion a wrong thing to do? Are they low-down crooks for doing that? Is proper marketing techniques illegal?

Every dealer than sells burnt orange sells maroon. (Wal Mart, HEB, Eckerds, CVS, things of that nature.) They all sell BOTH sides of the rivalry.

Pendragon13
12-09-2009, 08:59 PM
So, does this mean that Muschamp will be content being a highly paid coordinator for the next 7 seasons?

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
So, does this mean that Muschamp will be content being a highly paid coordinator for the next 7 seasons?

he formally signed the coach in waiting contract today so at the moment yes

zebrablue2
12-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
LOL--Oh, I know Keith well, zebra---he is like my Lab---he will knock you down until you pet him or tell him to sit. :D

:clap: i love it!!!

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
A&M has hats and shirts at the same places..I bet they are doing well

funny....i usually look to compare not just texas to a&m but texas to tech also.......look again next time...and another one is go to a bookstore...you will find dozens of books on texas football etc....true it doesn't take much to read them...but there are a lot out there.

Txbroadcaster
12-09-2009, 10:29 PM
funny....i usually look to compare not just texas to a&m but texas to tech also.......look again next time...and another one is go to a bookstore...you will find dozens of books on texas football etc....true it doesn't take much to read them...but there are a lot out there.

I have worked at the lovely Wally World( Wal Mart) on a couple of occasions in my life and the ordering outside of the College towns is almost 50/50 on what is ordered in regard to A&M and Texas when it comes to clothes and things like Christmas ornaments and such.

I have walked into MANY a gas station and the hat racks always have Texas and A&m and in East Texas which has a heavy A&M lean alot of times it is easier to find A&M gear

Daddy D 11
12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
and another one is go to a bookstore...you will find dozens of books on texas football etc....true it doesn't take much to read them...but there are a lot out there.

You have got to be the most jealous Aggie I have ever seen. You think if you graduated from there and had so much "aggie spirit" you wouldn't get so butt hurt over people writing books about another school instead of writing about A&M? I mean come on dude, it's a freaking book. Or it's a clothes rack in a supermarket. I feel really sorry for you and would hate to live your life if those small, stupid things upset you.

Gobbla2001
12-09-2009, 10:34 PM

I usually see equal A&M and UT gear on shelves... but if you don't, it's all because of demand... As for the Tech deal, I'd agree... I'm betting more people demand UT and A&M gear than Tech gear... I'd say their fanbase outside of current students and alum is greater than that of Tech's as well...

hell I don't care if it's A&M or Texas, I'm gunna buy one of their inflatable rafts if I see one because you're cryin' a river...

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
So you are bitter towards the University of Texas because the administration is more intelligent than TAMU's?

Is stadium expansion a wrong thing to do? Are they low-down crooks for doing that? Is proper marketing techniques illegal?

Every dealer than sells burnt orange sells maroon. (Wal Mart, HEB, Eckerds, CVS, things of that nature.) They all sell BOTH sides of the rivalry.

what gives you the impression im bitter...i credited the mkt dept and athletic dept........heck everybody loves a winner.

i made the comment about stadium expansion as a fact it helps when you expand....doesn't it?

unlike most of the posters on hear i sited an article it was a good article...only thing was i couldn't remember what day i read it.

someone posted something about brown getting a pay raise during a recession...i stated facts that texas was wasn't experiencing one.....sure i was sarcastic and took a t-shirt jab...wow sorry i offended you by insulting you alma mater...or school you support.........i was just playing the game....you take a jab/shot (not you specifically)...i take a shot.......even i take a first shot you take a shot.

i already stated that growing up i was a huge horn fan....i mean huge....but i just outgrew my love for them....felt i was a better fit some place else...........i will give credit where credit is do...i have stated i respect the product texas puts on the fields (football, baseball, softball track and field).....i have no hatred toward the sports teams....i can do without a lot of there fans...but i have relatives and friends that are grads......i even have t-shirt fan horn friends............if you knew me you would see i really get along with everybody usually......if i am ever going to be bitter about something it will never have to do with a football team/game or really any sporting event.

oh yeah believe it or not i even have few horn t-shirts....i use to work camps there..

Daddy D 11
For crying out loud, be proud of your school. You say you are "proud". But if you really were, you wouldn't let all these things make you bawl like a baby. I know that after I graduate from Baylor and I walk into a grocery store the clothes racks to my left that are maroon and burnt orange will not even cause me to blink because I am above that and have enough common sense to realize that it is just a rack of tee shirts and holds no bearing on what university is better than the other.

NastySlot
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I usually see equal A&M and UT gear on shelves... but if you don't, it's all because of demand... As for the Tech deal, I'd agree... I'm betting more people demand UT and A&M gear than Tech gear... I'd say their fanbase outside of current students and alum is greater than that of Tech's as well...

hell I don't care if it's A&M or Texas, I'm gunna buy one of their inflatable rafts if I see one because you're cryin' a river...

maybe tech fans don't shop at walmarts?

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 10:47 PM
For crying out loud, be proud of your school. You say you are "proud". But if you really were, you wouldn't let all these things make you bawl like a baby. I know that after I graduate from Baylor and I walk into a grocery store the clothes racks to my left that are maroon and burnt orange will not even cause me to blink because I am above that and have enough common sense to realize that it is just a rack of tee shirts and holds no bearing on what university is better than the other.

you sure?.....so more money wouldn't improve baylor both athletically and academically?

why shouldn't there be baylor shirts on the racks?
Baylor has very solid athletic program...but when anyone ever talks about adding a team and dropping one to make room...they say drop baylor cause they think of football....and you should know it's getting better........i understand there is a higher demand for the large state universities....but why not baylor have baylor gear in stores outside of waco? mkt baylor.

oh yeah i never bawl like a baby.....i might whine like the rest on this board at times...but never bawl.

Daddy D 11
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
you sure?.....so more money wouldn't improve baylor both athletically and academically?

Baylor has very solid athletic program...but when anyone ever talks about adding a team and dropping one to make room...they say drop baylor cause they think of football....and you should know it's getting better........i understand there is a higher demand for the large state universities....but why not baylor have baylor gear in stores outside of waco? mkt baylor.

Quite frankly because I just don't care. I don't judge an athletic program or education on the merchandise in stores. Nor does the the marketability of my school make me feel any better.

Plus, 36 thousand a year is a good chunk of cash. I don't think Baylor is hurting for money.

Gobbla2001
12-09-2009, 10:53 PM

because there's no demand? why does a serious business-person make space for something that most-likely will not sell?

would be like making space for air-conditioning units at a store in Alaska... they're not going to sell...

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Quite frankly because I just don't care. I don't judge an athletic program or education on the merchandise in stores. Nor does the the marketability of my school make me feel any better.

Plus, 36 thousand a year is a good chunk of cash. I don't think Baylor is hurting for money.

oh i don't judge a university by the shirts worn or sold either....give me a little credit....someone mentioned something about a recession and i said texas wasn't experiencing one with all the money they made............Good God I took a jab at texas and t-shirts...maybe im not allowed to do that........sorry.

and im pretty sure all universities are always looking for ways to make money....and i would think small private universities might need it more.....when they're out there competing for students and in athletics.......i might be wrong.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Here's the article nasty was referencing. Some interesting numbers.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/12/09/1209texfoot.html

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 11:01 PM
maybe tech fans don't shop at walmarts? Big Lots?

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Here's the article nasty was referencing. Some interesting numbers.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/2009/12/09/1209texfoot.html

thanks...it really is a good read.....and wow i guess i am getting old cause i couldn't even remember i read it today.

TheDOCTORdre
12-09-2009, 11:32 PM
now this thread can be closed since I made an appearance

slpybear the bullfan
12-09-2009, 11:47 PM
from the above mentioned article...

The data showed that while the country was in the midst of a lingering and deep recession, revenues generated by the Longhorns football program increased by 20 percent in 2008, rising by $14.6 million to a whopping $87.6 million.

That's by far the most money ever generated by a college football program and almost $20 million more than Ohio State — now relegated to second place — pulled in.

"I don't really like comparisons," said Ben Jay, senior associate athletic director at Ohio State. "We're trying to do different things (than Texas)."

...For the 2008 season, Texas made more than twice as much from football as Big 12 South rivals Oklahoma ($42.6 million) and Texas A&M ($38.4 million). Nebraska had football revenues of $55.2 million, good for second place in the league and just outside of the top 10 nationally. "

Texas. Longhorn. Football. Prints. Money.

Love 'em or Hate 'em those are numbers that you gotta respect.

forum_guy
12-09-2009, 11:52 PM
I read an article on another website that said "Mack Brown is the best coach in the country". I then thought to myself he has access to the best recruits in the country and has managed only 2 big 12 championships. Not hating at all but wouldn't the best coach in the country have more hardware.

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 11:53 PM
You have got to be the most jealous Aggie I have ever seen. You think if you graduated from there and had so much "aggie spirit" you wouldn't get so butt hurt over people writing books about another school instead of writing about A&M? I mean come on dude, it's a freaking book. Or it's a clothes rack in a supermarket. I feel really sorry for you and would hate to live your life if those small, stupid things upset you.

oh...don't feel sorry for me cause you've got me all wrong...i am not bitter...nor do i have any anger or hatred toward a university, athletic teams or individuals...................you re missing my point...maybe i shouldn't have taken a jab...in order to be taken serious...but someone mentioned a recesssion and i stated texas wasn't feeling the effects of a recession...in large part to the royalites of sales and sponsorships.......why should you feel sorry me?...i have never asked anyone to feel sorry me nor have i felt sorry myself..........i've rubbed you the wrong way...i could apologize...but it wouldn't do any good...you have formed a strong opinion of me.

believe me....in my life those things far from bother me.

you don't have to answer but would you like me better if i said more positive things about texas........at least i haven't wrote tu...other then the week of the game......man you would probably rip me a new one.

i did mention in previous post....i believe texas will win the title.........so see i have no hatred cause most rivals would pull for alabama.

Daddy D 11
12-10-2009, 12:05 AM
oh...don't feel sorry for me cause you've got me all wrong...i am not bitter...nor do i have any anger or hatred toward a university, athletic teams or individuals...................you re missing my point...maybe i shouldn't have taken a jab...in order to be taken serious...but someone mentioned a recesssion and i stated texas wasn't feeling the effects of a recession...in large part to the royalites of sales and sponsorships.......why should you feel sorry me?...i have never asked anyone to feel sorry me nor have i felt sorry myself..........i've rubbed you the wrong way...i could apologize...but it wouldn't do any good...you have formed a strong opinion of me.

believe me....in my life those things far from bother me.

you don't have to answer but would you like me better if i said more positive things about texas........at least i haven't wrote tu...other then the week of the game......man you would probably rip me a new one.

i did mention in previous post....i believe texas will win the title.........so see i have no hatred cause most rivals would pull for alabama.

I like you:thumbsup:

And you don't have to say more nice things about UT for me to like you. Screw that lol it was just strongly coming off like you were just crying up a storm and that was what got me.

NastySlot
12-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I like you:thumbsup:

And you don't have to say more nice things about UT for me to like you. Screw that lol it was just strongly coming off like you were just crying up a storm and that was what got me.

yeah...well i think you along with everyone else on this board are all good people.......emails, texting and message board post can sometimes come across or be taken wrong..........you should have seen the text i sent my girlfriend the other day...all because i left out word....that one word changed the whole message....im still paying for that.

and i like you too....but i ain't going to call you daddy............i think i'll call you 1's.

SintonFan
12-10-2009, 12:28 AM

I don't see this as being against UT.:confused:

Some of yall can simma down a tad.
Just because Texas had a tough game against Nebraska doesn't mean they will lose the NT. I think the tough game will only help them...
more so than Alabama beating Florida.:cool: :)

SintonFan
12-10-2009, 12:30 AM

and i like you too....but i ain't going to call you daddy............i think i'll call you 1's.

How about "Once"... pronounced(Spanish): Uhn-say. ;)

j/k Dd11:D

PhiI C
12-10-2009, 12:40 AM
This is all wonderful news!

Daddy D 11
12-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
How about "Once"... pronounced(Spanish): Uhn-say. ;)

j/k Dd11:D

LOL better watch it:devil:

Daddy D 11
12-10-2009, 12:42 AM
yeah...well i think you along with everyone else on this board are all good people.......emails, texting and message board post can sometimes come across or be taken wrong..........you should have seen the text i sent my girlfriend the other day...all because i left out word....that one word changed the whole message....im still paying for that.

I prefer daddy :p

carter08
12-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Why was my post deleted?

I posted the Zelda triforce to protest the proliferation of UT topics on the board. Completely relevant.

OldBison75
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
AND--actually referring back to the original article---The contract is for services to the University through 2016, it does not mean he will be the Head Coach for that whole time. I bet that he will stay a couple of more years as head coach and then Muschamp will take over on the field and Brown will move to an athletic department figure head.

Black_Magic
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I don't see this as being against UT.:confused:

Some of yall can simma down a tad.
Just because Texas had a tough game against Nebraska doesn't mean they will lose the NT. I think the tough game will only help them...
more so than Alabama beating Florida.:cool: :) I guess these folks dont remember mid season when Bama almost got beat by Tennesee. Or it could be a case of selective memory.

Old Tiger
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM

i made the comment about stadium expansion as a fact it helps when you expand....doesn't it?

The demand was there for a bigger stadium too. Texas was consistently selling out the smaller stadium so the athletic dept. and university decided to expand and yet they are still selling out and averaging over 100,000 fans.

Old Tiger
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
For crying out loud, be proud of your school. You say you are "proud". But if you really were, you wouldn't let all these things make you bawl like a baby. I know that after I graduate from Baylor and I walk into a grocery store the clothes racks to my left that are maroon and burnt orange will not even cause me to blink because I am above that and have enough common sense to realize that it is just a rack of tee shirts and holds no bearing on what university is better than the other. You know you'll buy one...shut up. lol

Maroon87
12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
I read an article on another website that said "Mack Brown is the best coach in the country". I then thought to myself he has access to the best recruits in the country and has managed only 2 big 12 championships. Not hating at all but wouldn't the best coach in the country have more hardware.

I seem to remember that he also has a nice crystal football in his trophy case and has a chance to get another.

BDB
12-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13

Muschamp will not have to wait 7 more years. Brown will not see the end of his contract, I say within the next 2 -3 years Brown will retire.

NastySlot
12-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I seem to remember that he also has a nice crystal football in his trophy case and has a chance to get another.

he's got a point....you know tressel has one and played for more...stoops has one and has played for more and won and played in more big xii title games.........i will get blasted but i think urban meyer does a really good job.. he's a winner (utah and florida)........and nick saban does a really good job.....giving credit where credit is due (and i know lot will bash me for this) pete carroll is as good as any college coach.

I have always respected Mack Brown for the words he gave his players following the National Championship.........he told his players don't let this moment be the highlight/or best thing you do in life.........that showed me this man has character and cares greatly for his players.

Mack Brown is a dang good football coach...but idk if he is the greatest in the game...........that is kinda an unfair statement.

Maroon87
12-10-2009, 02:55 PM
he's got a point....you know tressel has one and played for more...stoops has one and has played for more and won and played in more big xii title games.........i will get blasted but i think urban meyer does a really good job.. he's a winner (utah and florida)........and nick saban does a really good job.....giving credit where credit is due (and i know lot will bash me for this) pete carroll is as good as any college coach.

I have always respected Mack Brown for the words he gave his players following the National Championship.........he told his players don't let this moment be the highlight/or best thing you do in life.........that showed me this man has character and cares greatly for his players.

Mack Brown is a dang good football coach...but idk if he is the greatest in the game...........that is kinda an unfair statement.

I'm not blasting, but after this year Mack will at worst be equal with Tressel and at best equal with Meyer.

NastySlot
12-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm not blasting, but after this year Mack will at worst be equal with Tressel and at best equal with Meyer.

that is true....so they would be equals.......how can one be greater..........I don't think it's a fair assessment to claim one coach to be the greatest.

I think they are all good....i think we are experiencing a time of some really good college coaches...

Emerson1
12-10-2009, 03:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvpI2HJkL34

That is at 5:30 but the entire speech is pretty good. He deserves a heisman

Daddy D 11
12-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

That's some good stuff right there

NastySlot
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

hey thanks that good stuff.

Snydertigersrul
12-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I guess these folks dont remember mid season when Bama almost got beat by Tennesee. Or it could be a case of selective memory.

It's called "PLAYING IN THE SEC."

NastySlot
12-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
It's called "PLAYING IN THE SEC."

some people even like to throw out the phrase...it was rivalry game..........SEC has done a great job keeping rivals matched across divisions.

i think its bama v. tenn, lsu v florida, auburn v. georgia, ark v. sc (last to join conference)

Old Tiger
12-10-2009, 08:27 PM
nm delete