PDA

View Full Version : UIL All-Century Offense

kepdawg
12-09-2009, 01:44 PM
UIL Press Release (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/press_release_detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=table&-Database=press_releases&-KeyValue=366)

Discuss and debate but keep it civil!

FIRST TEAM
QB Vince Young, Houston Madison
RB Earl Campbell, Tyler John Tyler
RB Eric Dickerson, Sealy
WR Tim Brown, Dallas Wilson
WR Roy Williams, Odessa Permian
TE Martellus Bennett, Alief Taylor
OL Leonard Davis, Wortham
OL Forrest Gregg, Sulphur Springs
OL E.J. Holub, Lubbock
OL Jerry Sisemore, Plainview
OL Gene Upshaw, Robstown
K Tony Franklin, Fort Worth Arlington Heights

SECOND TEAM
QB Y.A. Tittle, Marshall
RB Cedric Benson, Midland Lee
RB Ken Hall, Sugar Land
WR Raymond Berry, Paris
WR Jordan Shipley, Burnet
TE Mike Barber, White Oak
OL Justin Blalock, Plano East
OL Blake Brockermeyer, Fort Worth Arlington Heights
OL Doug Dawson, Houston Memorial
OL Alan Faneca, Lamar Consolidated
OL Seth McKinney, Austin Westlake
K Russell Erxleben, Seguin

THIRD TEAM
QB Marty Akins, Gregory-Portland
RB Adrian Peterson, Palestine
RB LaDainian Tomlinson, Waco University
WR Don Maynard, Colorado City
WR Mike Renfro, Fort Worth Arlington Heights
TE Keith Cash, San Antonio Holmes
OL Tray Allen, South Grand Prarie
OL Mike Baab, Euless Trinity
OL Lee Grimes, Brownwood
OL Matt McCall, Lufkin
OL Dan Neil, Houston Cypress Creek
K Phil Dawson, Richardson Lake Highlands

To keep up with all the UIL all-century teams visit: In The News (http://www.3adownlow.com/inthenews.php) on the 3ADL home page.

Deuce
12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Thats a hell of a crew at RB!!

Old Tiger
12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
That first team offense would be unstoppable.

Gobbla2001
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
A lot of these picks are from North of I10... what about SOUTH of I10?

Ohhhhh... you said keep it civil, not keep it Civil War :doh:

bigwood33
12-09-2009, 02:01 PM
That is the problem with an internet poll, people just vote for names that they are familiar with. How can the Sugarland Express, Kenneth Hall, be on the 2nd team!! He may be the greatest high school player EVER...regardless of position. Certainly VY was a very good high school qb but he wasn't the best ever.
Internet polls suck!

Buckeye1980
12-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Traylon Shead of Cayuga 9922 yard (2nd all time in Texas ) and 139 TD's (all time leader in Texas !) and cannot make first 3 teams?????:(

Old Tiger
12-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
That is the problem with an internet poll, people just vote for names that they are familiar with. How can the Sugarland Express, Kenneth Hall, be on the 2nd team!! He may be the greatest high school player EVER...regardless of position. Certainly VY was a very good high school qb but he wasn't the best ever.
Internet polls suck! God bless the single wing.

Keith7
12-09-2009, 02:04 PM
no tebow??

Old Tiger
12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
no tebow??

You know better~kepdawg

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
ok......so i were these teams selected and what was teh criteria?................i know i going to get called a hater.......but vince young at qb....if it was done by fan vote....that is bs.....i can bet 98% of the people that voted never even saw him play or know where he played.............I have watched a lot of high school football...idk about that one.

now i will say this and i have before (remember im an aggie)......young is probably the best college football i have ever seen in person or on tv.
one of my favorites from when i was really young was a highland park qb Lance Mclhenny...
what about todd dodge i saw him h.s he was good....what about some of the other greats this state has produce.

now i will say this tim brown was the most incredible player i ever saw in high school...he's a year older than me...went on a saturday with some buddies cause we were bored to watch nacadoches and wilson play at forrester field on a saturday night...i had no idea i would see one of the best players in texas high school football history and future heisman winner.........he did everything......im telling you he never came off the field...qb, wide out, returned punt and kicks...punted played defense...i will never forget him.

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
ok......so i were these teams selected and what was teh criteria?................i know i going to get called a hater.......but vince young at qb....if it was done by fan vote....that is bs.....i can bet 98% of the people that voted never even saw him play or know where he played.............I have watched a lot of high school football...idk about that one.

now i will say this and i have before (remember im an aggie)......young is probably the best college football i have ever seen in person or on tv.
one of my favorites from when i was really young was a highland park qb Lance Mclhenny...
what about todd dodge i saw him h.s he was good....what about some of the other greats this state has produce.

now i will say this tim brown was the most incredible player i ever saw in high school...he's a year older than me...went on a saturday with some buddies cause we were bored to watch nacadoches and wilson play at forrester field on a saturday night...i had no idea i would see one of the best players in texas high school football history and future heisman winner.........he did everything......im telling you he never came off the field...qb, wide out, returned punt and kicks...punted played defense...i will never forget him.
of course you have a problem with VY :D

j/k

big daddy russ
12-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Internet polls suck!
Amen!

bigwood33
12-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
Traylon Shead of Cayuga 9922 yard (2nd all time in Texas ) and 139 TD's (all time leader in Texas !) and cannot make first 3 teams?????:(
No kidding. LT and AP should not have made the list. Where are Rodney Thomas, Robert Strait, etc...
Of course debating the list is half the fun but people voted for the people with the greatest college and pro careers (for the most part). That should have NO bearing on who was the greatest high school players... Some kids develop more after high school and are able to excel beyond others but this is supposed to be a list about high school careers.
Billy Don Jackson from Sherman was the only person nominated for both the All- Time Offense and Defense and I will promise you that there has never been a more dominant defensive lineman in Texas High School Football History than him, but because he didn't make it in the pro's, no one remembers his name. He was all Pac- 10 and team captain for UCLA as a sophomore but got in trouble with the law (manslaughter conviction) and finished his career at San Diego State at the age of about 28. Well, the NFL isn't interested in 28 or 29 year old rookies. None of that diminishes his high school greatness.
The list is fun, and at times accurate, but let there be no doubt, it is flawed.

Sweetwater Red
12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Deuce
Thats a hell of a crew at RB!!

Would be even better if Billy Sims' name was where Cedric Benson's is. :thinking:

bigwood33
12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Would be even better if Billy Sims' name was where Cedric Benson's is. :thinking:
Or David Overstreet!

Deuce
12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Good point!

trojandad
12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
i guess its not just about stats, or ken hall would be on a team all his own......and Drew Tate and Graham Harrell would be 1st team qb's.....

Maroon87
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
i guess its not just about stats, or ken hall would be on a team all his own......and Drew Tate and Graham Harrell would be 1st team qb's.....

If it was all about stats, they wouldn't have had fan voting.

kepdawg
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by trojandad

Surprisingly a lot of the "should have beens" were not even on the ballot and would needed to have been written in.

I never saw but would be curious as to how the names that were placed on the ballot were chosen.

bigwood33
12-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Surprisingly a lot of the "should have beens" were not even on the ballot and would needed to have been written in.

I never saw but would be curious as to how the names that were placed on the ballot were chosen.
I wrote in (and knew he had no chance) one of my wife's high school classmates, Mike Kinsey from Brownwood. He is in the Texas High School Hall of Fame and the great Gordon Wood said that he was the best defensive player that he ever had. When he went to Tech they moved All- SWC and All- American nose tackle Gabriel Rivera (Senior Sack) to defensive end to make room for Mike. He later became and All- SWC pick as a defensive lineman and then the next year at linebacker. Injuries limited his success in the NFL and he onlly lasted 3+ years. He was a fantastic player...but not on the list.

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
ok...i'll get accused of hating...but what the heck....i'll say it any way half of the these guys went on to play at texas........there are some guys that played in this great state that went to other D1 schools...and many many more that played on lower levels in college.

where is craig james.....i saw him in in the state championship game against plano one year...wow he was incredible.

highland park had an awesome lineman named david richards....went to smu.

what about graham harrell, heck what about colt mccoy hell of a high school football player.

i thought this was about high school players....and i know that when you have something like this ...good guys are going to get left off... but i do understand that all the best players ever to play h.s. football didn't play in my life time and didn't go to texas.

and forgive me but there have been some great players from south texas also........mission had koy detmer...san antonio had ty detmer......and mission had a really good qb lupe roderiquez and wr nati valdez...played byu....those guys were throwing the ball all over the field when all these offensive geniuses of today were still toying with the slot t, veer and wishbone...and trying to transition to west coast offense.

my rant is over........and i mean no disrepect to those on the list..they played a game i love.

thelegend02
12-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm surprised all the TU fans haven't been screaming Colt McCoy

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by thelegend02
I'm surprised all the TU fans haven't been screaming Colt McCoy why would Tulane fans care?

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
oh man i just noticed........no hart lee dykes.......you got to be kidding..

NastySlot
12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
why would Tulane fans care?

cause tulane fans love colt like everyone else does?

Old Tiger
12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Garrett Gilbert is who I wrote in.

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
cause tulane fans love colt like everyone else does? :D

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
Garrett Gilbert is who I wrote in. ahh good choice.

Ex-Tiger2005
12-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
UIL Press Release (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/press_release_detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=table&-Database=press_releases&-KeyValue=366)

Discuss and debate but keep it civil!

FIRST TEAM
WR Tim Brown, Dallas Wilson
OL Gene Upshaw, Robstown
OL Alan Faneca, Lamar Consolidated

To keep up with all the UIL all-century teams visit: In The News (http://www.3adownlow.com/inthenews.php) on the 3ADL home page.

I had no idea these guys were from Texas!!!

Bullaholic
12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
ok...i'll get accused of hating...but what the heck....i'll say it any way half of the these guys went on to play at texas........there are some guys that played in this great state that went to other D1 schools...and many many more that played on lower levels in college.

where is craig james.....i saw him in in the state championship game against plano one year...wow he was incredible.

highland park had an awesome lineman named david richards....went to smu.

what about graham harrell, heck what about colt mccoy hell of a high school football player.

i thought this was about high school players....and i know that when you have something like this ...good guys are going to get left off... but i do understand that all the best players ever to play h.s. football didn't play in my life time and didn't go to texas.

and forgive me but there have been some great players from south texas also........mission had koy detmer...san antonio had ty detmer......and mission had a really good qb lupe roderiquez and wr nati valdez...played byu....those guys were throwing the ball all over the field when all these offensive geniuses of today were still toying with the slot t, veer and wishbone...and trying to transition to west coast offense.

my rant is over........and i mean no disrepect to those on the list..they played a game i love.

I think just about everyone on the lists went on to great college and pro careers, nasty. They were not just good HS players. Not arguing with your choices, just pointing out what I think the UIL was using for team inclusion.

dawg4life
12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
The fact that Ken Hall is 2nd team makes the rest of the list BS. He was the greatest High School Football player in the US, let alone Texas....But then again, i dont think they really play football outside of texas:p

cookiemonster
12-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Is the OL from Brownwood the guy that played recently at ATM?

XtremeCouture
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
stephen mcgee from burnet would have been a good choice. i know his senior year he didn't throw an int until the 2nd round of the playoffs against wharton when he threw 3 yet they still scored 70 points. for as much as they threw the ball that's quite an achievement.

bigwood33
12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by cookiemonster
Is the OL from Brownwood the guy that played recently at ATM?
Yes, I think he is a senior this year.

maroogreen
12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
My dad played college ball with Gene Upshaw. He was sooooo THE MAN!

CelinaCatFan
12-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Ken Hall is not on the 1st team? WOW!

The question is not who went on and made a bigger impact afterwards (college and pro). It is who were the best "High School" players?

Noone will ever break Hall's records.

Pudlugger
12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Y. A. Title! From Marshal! Well, I remember my dad taking my brother and I to the LA Coliseum to watch the LA Rams play the SF 49ers in 1953. Y.A. Title was qb for the 49ers. We sat in the end zone seats of course(tickets weren't cheap even in those days). IIRC the Rams won on a great reception play by El Roy "Crazy Legs" Herse. We parked on someone's lawn for 50 cents. It was a great time.

N4SIR
12-09-2009, 09:44 PM
It's too bad most of the Celina fans have quit cruising this site because I am sure most all of them would insist that Dwight Smith from Carthage be listed at a minimum on 3rd Team. He was a beast.

Gobbla2001
12-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980

I'd for sure put that kid up there... but the polling began early in the season if I'm not mistaken (heard about the poll on sports radio in september maybe?)... pretty sure he wasn't a household name when the poll began... it is unfortunate...

cookiemonster
12-10-2009, 10:20 AM
He's not even the best that Brownwood has produced. Someone is voting with their heart.

NastySlot
12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by cookiemonster
He's not even the best that Brownwood has produced. Someone is voting with their heart.

someone.........more like too many voted with their heart.