PDA

View Full Version : Bama Cancels Classes January 6-8

Old Tiger
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
U. of Alabama faculty upset that classes were canceled for national championship game
By Associated Press

10:22 AM CST, December 9, 2009
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — The University of Alabama faculty senate is upset over the campus canceling three days of classes for the national championship game.

The group passed a motion Tuesday stating that members were "profoundly disappointed" in the university's decision to cancel classes for a football game. Professor John Vincent said the situation is a "true embarrassment" for the university because it sacrifices 95 percent of students for the 5 percent who will be at the game.

But other members were supportive. Senate Vice President Clark Midkiff said he and the senate president told administrators they supported the move to cancel classes.

An e-mail was sent to campus Tuesday announcing that classes would be canceled Jan. 6-8 so that students, faculty and staff can attend the Jan. 7 game in Pasadena, Calif.

TheDOCTORdre
12-09-2009, 01:02 PM
way to keep your priorities straight Alabama:clap:

Emerson1
12-09-2009, 01:09 PM
So I wonder if the football programs keeps the tens of millions of dollars it makes each year to themselves and the money they will get from the game.

STANG RED
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I see no problem with it. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for those kids. I don’t think missing 3 days out of their college careers will stunt their education too badly.

cotulla
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
does anyone else find it odd that they are in school at that time?

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by cotulla
does anyone else find it odd that they are in school at that time? I was gonna ask the same. It may be they start a week earlier than most.

jason
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
we dont start classes until the 19th...

now, the university opens on the 4th, but classes dont...

Emerson1
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Some colleges do that 3 semester thing

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Some colleges do that 3 semester thing yeah, I now about maymesters. but not in December

eagles_victory
12-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
yeah, I now about maymesters. but not in December Its not Maymesters its Trimesters a lot of the California schools do it.

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Its not Maymesters its Trimesters a lot of the California schools do it. ahhh. Guess so does Bama. And if so, I can see why missing 3 days is pretty bad. That's like a substantial portion of the trimester.

bwdlionfan
12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Could be wintermester (similar to Maymester)

Keith7
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
They would miss maybe one or two classes, big whoop. Winning a national championship doesn't happen everyday. Let them enjoy it

statewide
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Some educators do not believe in athletics. My children were straight A students and I have seen them return from a game after midnight with no relief, piles of homework given on the eve of the big away game with the teacher commenting, this is more important than the game. Shame, I"m all about academics but this is a once in a lifetime event, shut er down and enjoy the beating of Texas University.

DDBooger
12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by statewide
Some educators do not believe in athletics. My children were straight A students and I have seen them return from a game after midnight with no relief, piles of homework given on the eve of the big away game with the teacher commenting, this is more important than the game. Shame, I"m all about academics but this is a once in a lifetime event, shut er down and enjoy the beating of Texas University. you forgot to mention Brad McCoy

hookandladder
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by statewide
Some educators do not believe in athletics. My children were straight A students and I have seen them return from a game after midnight with no relief, piles of homework given on the eve of the big away game with the teacher commenting, this is more important than the game. Shame, I"m all about academics but this is a once in a lifetime event, shut er down and enjoy the beating of Texas University.

It's The University of Texas, keep dreaming. Bama has never beaten Texas.

GrTigers6
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
They would miss maybe one or two classes, big whoop. Winning a national championship doesn't happen everyday. Let them enjoy it Its more so they can recover from the loss. :D

SintonPirateFan
12-09-2009, 06:06 PM
there's a joke in there somewhere about trimesters having to do with pregnancy and alabama coeds and trailer parks and jerry springer.... but i'll leave that alone.

Twirling Time
12-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by cotulla
does anyone else find it odd that they are in school at that time?

A lot of schools offer holiday classes. I never took one myself, but my SIL took one while she was in nursing school that went 8 hours a day M-F for 4 weeks.

Ranger Mom
12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Not on the same scope, but when Greenwood played in the State Championship, we only had school half a day that Friday!!!!:D