PDA

View Full Version : Billabong Pipeline Master called off...

big daddy russ
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
...for now due to surf that is too big. Some of the biggest surf that Hawaii's seen this decade.

http://www.triplecrownofsurfing.com/pipelinemasters/index.html?x=124232

FYI: The Pipeline Masters is the surfing equivalent of Wimbledon or The PGA's Masters.

Cameron Crazy
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
...for now due to surf that is too big. Some of the biggest surf that Hawaii's seen this decade.

http://www.triplecrownofsurfing.com/pipelinemasters/index.html?x=124232

FYI: The Pipeline Masters is the surfing equivalent of Wimbledon or The PGA's Masters. That's pretty intense to say the least. Wouldn't they want to do it considering that's what the whole thing is based around? The big waves? But I guess I could understand it being a life threatening deal.

big daddy russ
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
That's pretty intense to say the least. Wouldn't they want to do it considering that's what the whole thing is based around? The big waves? But I guess I could understand it being a life threatening deal.
Waves that big require a different board than the ones used on the ASP. The short boards they use aren't long enough to handle the "chop" on the face of the wave. Same concept as a small boat going out in big waves. Too easy for the nose to catch the water and send you flipping.

The biggest wave I've ever seen was 15 feet and it was enormous. Average waves here in Texas on a nice day are about four feet. Easiest way to think of it is to imagine standing on a half pipe the size of your house that has bumps all over it and skating down it. That's a 15-foot wave. Now triple that and add five feet. Those were the monsters that were out there today.

IHStangFan
12-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah...the other engineer I work with is going to Hawaii next week for vac. and he mentioned that the surf was some of the biggest in years right now.

big daddy russ
12-09-2009, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Yeah...the other engineer I work with is going to Hawaii next week for vac. and he mentioned that the surf was some of the biggest in years right now.
Yup. They held the ASP's only big wave competition today. It only comes around when conditions are right, and the last time they held it was at least four or five years ago.

The kid who won nailed a perfect ride on a 40- or 50-foot wave.

IHStangFan
12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Yup. They held the ASP's only big wave competition today. It only comes around when conditions are right, and the last time they held it was at least four or five years ago.

The kid who won nailed a perfect ride on a 40- or 50-foot wave. Geezus...that's nuts.