PDA

View Full Version : Brenham Cubs bandwagon rolls on...

navscanmaster
12-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Brenham (12-2) will play Kerrville Tivy (9-4) at 1 P.M. Saturday at Georgetown. This after another big comeback win over Dayton, who had knocked the Cubs out last year. Woohoo, go Cubs!:D

zebrablue2
12-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Brenham (12-2) will play Kerrville Tivy (9-4) at 1 P.M. Saturday at Georgetown. This after another big comeback win over Dayton, who had knocked the Cubs out last year. Woohoo, go Cubs!:D

:2thumbsup That team just does not quit, ever...

navscanmaster
12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
:2thumbsup That team just does not quit, ever...
I know, right? If you rank them in the preseason, they will just disappoint you. But if you write them off, well, look at where they are now...

Daddy D 11
12-07-2009, 08:21 PM

I can't believe Tivy even made the playoffs at 5-4!:eek: Much less rattle off 4 wins in a row.

What's Brenham do every year that's so special?

navscanmaster
12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I can't believe Tivy even made the playoffs at 5-4!:eek: Much less rattle off 4 wins in a row.

Well, for one they don't have to play the Rattlers anymore!:devil: Hence the "don't rank them" comment. In 2003, they were ranked #10 in 4A coming off a state runner up season. They played the little old 3A unranked Navasota Rattlers at the Astrodome in the season opener zero week. Chris Smith (FB-TCU) and Scott Martin ran all up and down the field on Brenham in an embarrasing 50-23 loss to Navasota. That is the last time the two teams had played. The rivalry was much like Texas/TAMU, with Brenham mostly owning the era pre 1970, even beating Navasota badly in their good years. In the last 30 years, they were pretty much evenly matched.

When you look at Brenham's historical record, they have been a very successful and strong program throughout. Also, of note, KBTX just ran a story tonight about Brenham and Blinn looking at improving Cub Stadium for both squads to call it home field. Turf upgrades and other facility improvements are cited.

HEMOTOXIC
12-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, for one they don't have to play the Rattlers anymore!:devil: Hence the "don't rank them" comment. In 2003, they were ranked #10 in 4A coming off a state runner up season. They played the little old 3A unranked Navasota Rattlers at the Astrodome in the season opener zero week. Chris Smith (FB-TCU) and Scott Martin ran all up and down the field on Brenham in an embarrasing 50-23 loss to Navasota. That is the last time the two teams had played. The rivalry was much like Texas/TAMU, with Brenham mostly owning the era pre 1970, even beating Navasota badly in their good years. In the last 30 years, they were pretty much evenly matched.

When you look at Brenham's historical record, they have been a very successful and strong program throughout. Also, of note, KBTX just ran a story tonight about Brenham and Blinn looking at improving Cub Stadium for both squads to call it home field. Turf upgrades and other facility improvements are cited.

:iagree:

He's telling the truth. Not sure how anyone can just end a rilvary series. Its like TAMU not playing Texas around these parts. Old Washington (Washington on the Brazos) is zoned to attend school in Brenham because they are in Washington County, not Grimes (Navasota). However, Washington is about 7-10 minutes outside of Navasota. Where as it about 15+ minutes to Brenham. So, many of the kids, adults, etc know each other. Limas Sweed's mother attended Navasota and so did his sister. Whereas, his dad attended Brenham as he did. It was intentional.

Anyways, hopefully the rilvary will pick back up someday.

And, Good luck to those cardiac Cubs!

NastySlot
12-07-2009, 10:52 PM

tivy year in year out plays a brutal non-district schedule...included SA Roosvelt, Con. Wagner....also SA Madison...that game was called at half..due to weather........other losses to Alamo Hts....and i think San Marcos.............hey they have qb that is one of the best athletes in the state.........johnny manziel....i remember going over there when he was freshman and watching him run through and around our kids...like they were pee wee kids....and he's still doing the same things on varsity ...last season and this season.................brenham's success comes from a good staff and an abundance of athletes.....used to coach a rival school.

oh yeah tivy came out of a district that included steele and hts..the only teams to even come close to LT this year.

Daddy D 11
12-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
tivy year in year out plays a brutal non-district schedule...included SA Roosvelt, Con. Wagner....also SA Madison...that game was called at half..due to weather........other losses to Alamo Hts....and i think San Marcos.............hey they have qb that is one of the best athletes in the state.........johnny manziel....i remember going over there when he was freshman and watching him run through and around our kids...like they were pee wee kids....and he's still doing the same things on varsity ...last season and this season.................brenham's success comes from a good staff an abundance of athletes.....used to coach a rival school.

oh yeah tivy came out of a district that included steele and hts..the only teams to even come close to LT this year.

Damn, thanks for the info. I would LOVE to make this game considering it's 5 minutes from my house in Georgetown but I have a freaking final on Saturday at 2 here in Waco:(

NastySlot
12-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Damn, thanks for the info. I would LOVE to make this game considering it's 5 minutes from my house in Georgetown but I have a freaking final on Saturday at 2 here in Waco:(

yeah i was thinking about it also but westlake has a former player of mine/ours and he was a former classmate of my daughters from grade school til last year....he's having a good year over there...i went to watch him saturday had two picks...taking one to the house..so i think my daughter wants to go watch him.......good luck with the final...........thats one thing about college i don't miss.........oh the stress.

sahen
12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
im shocked dayton made it that far, this was supposed to be their rebuilding year...

Daddy D 11
12-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
yeah i was thinking about it also but westlake has a former player of mine/ours and he was a former classmate of my daughters from grade school til last year....he's having a good year over there...i went to watch him saturday had two picks...taking one to the house..so i think my daughter wants to go watch him.......good luck with the final...........thats one thing about college i don't miss.........oh the stress.

Yeah but luckily right now I have 4 As and a B+ so there really isn't much stress. I just need Bs on all my finals to make As and that's real easy. Still is a little overwhelming having to balance your days out to give each class ample amount though.

injuredinmelee
12-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I wonder if Colt and his dad will be there. (I am responding to every thread with a Brad McCoy reference. Yes my life is that boring and pathetic.)