PDA

View Full Version : Downlow thoughts on 2009 till now

OldBison75
12-06-2009, 10:25 PM
As we came to September and the start of the football season, there was not much doubt in anybody's mind that Gilmer was the Number 1 team going into the season. Abilene Wylie was generally thought to be number 2. Numbers 3-10 were somewhat of a jumble but generall included Carthage, Graham, Giddings, and Bellville along with assorted others. Through the season, the top two did not change very much until Wylie lost to Graham and then the speculation about the number two team took on a variety of different teams. Sealy put in a look, as did several others.

Well, now we are down to the last couple of weeks in the season and we see that Gilmer and Wylie are indeed primed for the Championship game in Division 1. There are valid arguments that Cuero may have been the second best team, especially before we see next week's final. It is Division 2 that is the real show.

Carthage, Graham, Prosper, Argyle, Brownwood, Monahans, Sinton, Giddings, Caldwell, and West Orange Stark were all thought to have valid argument for making the finals. Of that bunch, only Carthage and Graham are still left playing. Pittsburg and LaGrange, two teams that were pretty much off the radar of this board have found thier way to the semi-finals and both are realistic threats to make the finals. Both are playing thier best ball right now.

From a fan standpoint, the usual group of mass posters from Celina, Brownwood, Gilmer, Cuero and Wylie have made thier presence felt. Granted some have been pleasant and some pretty obnoxius. But, each has the right to express thier opinion in this anonymus fashion and brag , or complain to thier hearts content. Then there is the majority of posters, from these towns and many bands of smaller groups and towns that have been classy, thoughtful and have weathered the insults and cut-downs to support thier teams and win and lose with dignity.

What I'm getting at is that throughout the year, whether we guessed right or wrong, no matter how we chose to express out opinions, and regardless of how brash or even realistic we were, we shared alot of banter and memories of another great football season. We did not all win, but none of us are losers because we got to see some great football played by some great kids. We made new friends and even a few new enemies to make our lives fuller and more interesting. We saw the pure excitement of great competition on the field and in print and when the final snap is taken a couple of weeks from now, we can take a day or two to catch our breath and hear from the winners and brave thier chest thumping, well deserved in my opinion. The, the cycle starts all over again.

A whole new year of Snyder Sucks, Brownwood beat themselves, and Celina has won ----state titles starts again, along with all of us wannabe champs trying to hype our teams and towns. GOD I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. No matter how smart I think I am, there will always be the shockers like LaGrange and Pittsburg that make every week and surprise.

Inmateboss
12-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
As we came to September and the start of the football season, there was not much doubt in anybody's mind that Gilmer was the Number 1 team going into the season. Abilene Wylie was generally thought to be number 2. Numbers 3-10 were somewhat of a jumble but generall included Carthage, Graham, Giddings, and Bellville along with assorted others. Through the season, the top two did not change very much until Wylie lost to Graham and then the speculation about the number two team took on a variety of different teams. Sealy put in a look, as did several others.

Well, now we are down to the last couple of weeks in the season and we see that Gilmer and Wylie are indeed primed for the Championship game in Division 1. There are valid arguments that Cuero may have been the second best team, especially before we see next week's final. It is Division 2 that is the real show.

Carthage, Graham, Prosper, Argyle, Brownwood, Monahans, Sinton, Giddings, Caldwell, and West Orange Stark were all thought to have valid argument for making the finals. Of that bunch, only Carthage and Graham are still left playing. Pittsburg and LaGrange, two teams that were pretty much off the radar of this board have found thier way to the semi-finals and both are realistic threats to make the finals. Both are playing thier best ball right now.

From a fan standpoint, the usual group of mass posters from Celina, Brownwood, Gilmer, Cuero and Wylie have made thier presence felt. Granted some have been pleasant and some pretty obnoxius. But, each has the right to express thier opinion in this anonymus fashion and brag , or complain to thier hearts content. Then there is the majority of posters, from these towns and many bands of smaller groups and towns that have been classy, thoughtful and have weathered the insults and cut-downs to support thier teams and win and lose with dignity.

What I'm getting at is that throughout the year, whether we guessed right or wrong, no matter how we chose to express out opinions, and regardless of how brash or even realistic we were, we shared alot of banter and memories of another great football season. We did not all win, but none of us are losers because we got to see some great football played by some great kids. We made new friends and even a few new enemies to make our lives fuller and more interesting. We saw the pure excitement of great competition on the field and in print and when the final snap is taken a couple of weeks from now, we can take a day or two to catch our breath and hear from the winners and brave thier chest thumping, well deserved in my opinion. The, the cycle starts all over again.

A whole new year of Snyder Sucks, Brownwood beat themselves, and Celina has won ----state titles starts again, along with all of us wannabe champs trying to hype our teams and towns. GOD I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. No matter how smart I think I am, there will always be the shockers like LaGrange and Pittsburg that make every week and surprise.

Yes Sir, We have seen some really good Texas football Teams this year!! Kids just playing lights out, leave it on the field football!I hope that not too many got broken, but I have heard of a couple that are still recovering, and pray for health and healing. I too love high school football, and the downlow family of posters make it more fun, you hurry home after the game to see how everyone did and what is being said. I'm learning alot about opinions, they may be selfserving and thats ok, their just opinions!
May all the Teams that remain, be injury free and be the best examples of Sportsmanship. God Bless all the teams and fans in their travels.:inlove:

bobcat4life
12-06-2009, 11:36 PM
well said OB75!!

Looking4number8
12-06-2009, 11:39 PM

A whole new year of Snyder Sucks,

Stang Red should be proud his thead was so noted!!!

j_dog
12-06-2009, 11:55 PM
I loved the Gilmer/Cuero game last night.

I agree Cuero should be number two from the teams I have seen. They were awesome.

BullsFan
12-07-2009, 01:07 AM
A whole new year of Snyder Sucks, Brownwood beat themselves, and Celina has won ----state titles starts again, along with all of us wannabe champs trying to hype our teams and towns.

LOL--that right there is a great paraphrase of 99.9% of the posts on this board!

SintonFan
12-07-2009, 02:12 AM
OldBison75, who made an argument for Sinton to make the finals?

Pendragon13
12-07-2009, 09:08 AM
great recap...very accurate.:clap:

Rocket
12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Stang Red should be proud his thead was so noted!!!

It's all about 2-3A.

OldBison75
12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
As for who made an argument for Sinton to make the finals, I will take that on myself. I believed then and now that with a break or two, Sinton had a good enough offense to play with anybody in the state. My hope was that the defense would rise to the challenge each week and make the stops needed to let the offense carry them. LaGrange proved my point and when the chips were down, the Sinton defense did not make the stop. The offense put up plenty of points to win, in most cases.

I think Sinton was the most underrated team in the 3A ranks all year, with LaGrange and Lovejoy close behind.

SintonPirateFan
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
LaGrange proved my point and when the chips were down, the Sinton defense did not make the stop.

i'm not sure that's a fair assessment. Sinton's defense has been clutch in big games all year long....especially in the playoffs. they have made the stop, or forced a turnover several times when the game was on the line.

the LaGrange game showed Sinton's D made enough stops to allow the offense to catch up and force OT.... so i'm not really sure how that proved your point.

SintonFan
12-08-2009, 08:18 PM
As for who made an argument for Sinton to make the finals, I will take that on myself. I believed then and now that with a break or two, Sinton had a good enough offense to play with anybody in the state. My hope was that the defense would rise to the challenge each week and make the stops needed to let the offense carry them. LaGrange proved my point and when the chips were down, the Sinton defense did not make the stop. The offense put up plenty of points to win, in most cases.

I think Sinton was the most underrated team in the 3A ranks all year, with LaGrange and Lovejoy close behind.

Fair enough. Your assessment of the Sinton offense makes plenty of sense. Thanks for your honest opinion and I agree completely with you on these teams being underrated.:)

OldBison75
12-13-2009, 11:19 AM
To update my thoughts now that we have reached the last week of the seaon, I will add these observations.

Giler is for real and each and every week found the right combination of offense and defense to win the BIG game that week. I have picked Wylie to beat them in the finals all year and I was wrong. Gilmer not only beat Wylie, they controlled the entire game and won impressively. My congratulations to the Buckeyes for the state championship and I also congratulate Wylie for a great year. As a side note, my Rattlers can say that they got beat in the playoffs by the State Champs by only a touchdown. (Of course, that is kinda like saying you finally kissed a girl for the first time and then have to admit it was the ugliest girl in school.)

Now we see Graham and Carthage in the Division 2 finals and Graham was the team I picked to be there all year. I also picked them to win it all and it was not Carthage that was my pick for the other team. Well, Carthage has again met every challenge all year and may make me eat crow over that pick too. What I do know is that Graham is the only team that has a chance to beat Carthage for a championship and they seem to be on a mission. Who knows, this may be the wek that a Region 1 team makes a statement, but we will have to wait and see.

What a great year of football from some really great teams--CAN"T WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!

oldtownag
12-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, Carthage has again met every challenge all year and may make me eat crow over that pick too.

Other than some of the Gilmer posters and a few others, Carthage was not given the due respect of a returning Champion that dominated in 2008. Win or lose on Saturday, I think they have that respect now. Go Dawgs.