PDA

View Full Version : Barbers Hill

Old Cardinal
07-05-2003, 11:30 AM
This school has a very good feeder program. It does not hurt either that they are a very rich school District and can take their pick of good Coaches, looking for higher salaries. This season, they will be utilizing replacements from a stout 10-0 JV, that has some speed. They have plenty of seasoned depth, also. I saw them play 3 games last year and was impressed with the Juniors of the squad. Their weakness for several years was a defense that could not stop a full-thrust tackle-to-tackle Offense-- out to make continuing first downs. Outside of that, they were a very capable team. Judging from the Region III situation that developed, BH would have been the Region III Division II Champ, had Cleveland been the 22-3A, Division I District team. If Cleveland gets the nod to go Division I; then BH will possibly sweep the field in Division II, with their greatest competition being Liberty, from their own District. If they go Div. I, they are capable of upsetting most all of those teams, on a given night.... Judging from the homes being built in the BH school District, they will be going 4A in the not-so-distant future; meanwhile they are a 3A threat!

BH_146
07-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Old Cardinal, I too think we have a chance to surprise some people throughout the state. The route in the playoffs though could be the same as last year. You are correct in that for us to go DII, Cleveland has to advance. That is going to be a tall order. Cleveland has to travel to Coldspring and the Trojans have some talent. From what I can gather, the Trojans will be playing a few more of their better players both ways when needed. This could give them an edge to get by not only Cleveland but also Liberty who has to make the journey to Coldspring. By the way, both Barbers Hill and Coldspring had exceptional 8th grade teams last year. We think several of these players may be on varsity by their sophmore year.

As far as going 4A, it may be a while. Unless, as you suggest, the city of Mont Belvieu lays out the infrastructure between Eagle Drive and Hwy 146 and along I-10. If that happens, we will look like Katy because houses are being sold almost as fast as they are being built.

exbccards76'smom
07-05-2003, 02:47 PM
If they are are as good( or better) than last year, I say, everyone better watch out!! Good luck to Barber's Hill this year. wink

<small>[ July 05, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: exbccards76'smom ]</small>

FBmania
07-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Once again we appeciate the hype but let's be realistic. We have excellent coaching and a lot of young potential coming up but, without experience it is just that... potential. We lost a lot of speed in the back field on offense with the departure of Carrington, Cummings, and Northcutt. On defense we lost our work horse in Dolan and a few other solid players Foster, Currie and some jr.s possibly moving to offense.
We have some size coming back and experience on defense so we will just have to wait and see how we gel. We will not give up the title without a battle. Let's play a few games and see where we are.

I am ready for August to get here, 7 on 7 is OK to watch but I need to see some contact. Bring on the 2 a days! Sorry football players I know it's hot but us older guys and gals need to see and hear the contact!

Old Card, I know you guys lost some excellent players also, I'll be keeping an eye on the the Cards as well. Good luck this upcoming season.

Go get'em Eagles!!

<small>[ July 05, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: FBmania ]</small>

eagle08
07-05-2003, 10:26 PM
The Hill will be a very good team for the next several years. They will be just as good if not better this year than last year. I am going to go out on a limb, and the future, and claim the 2005 season as the year of the Barbers Hill Eagles. There is tremendous talent and work ethic in the freshman and sophomore classes. The offseason program at BH is one of the best and toughest around and is a big reason for the success they have had. This combined with a coaching staff of some of the finest and smartest coaches around will make for some fun BH football for the next four years. In 2006 I look for BH to be a competitive 4A team.

QBKilla
07-05-2003, 11:24 PM
I also look for the Eagles to be a very good team this year. Seeing all of these posts makes me wish I was putting on the blue and white again for one more season :( But the outlook for this team does have a lot of potential in it. The defense will be excellent once again with returning stand outs like FS Josh Gaines, LB Louis Duncan, DE Ricky Garcia and DTs Matt Hickey and Pete Thurman. Two new guys that you can expect huge things from this year are LB Ray Nelson and DE Dan Walsh. Both of these guys will only add to an already stout defense. All the Eagles need to do is fill in a few holes at the corner spots after losing two All-District corners; Chase Currie to Texas Lutheran University and Casey Shows to the offense. Shows will fill in at the TB spot for Carrington who will be taking his talents to Prairieview A&M. There are some holes to fill in on offense but the strong point should be the offensive line with 3 starters returning and two others who started at one point last season. The Eagles will depend on a sophomore to take over the quarterbacking duties. Chris Daniels, who scored two TDs as a freshman against Tarkington last season, is a very versatile player; he just always seems to break tackles and make people miss. He'll be throwing to returning WR Jake Daniels and speedster Ty Terrasso. If the Eagles can play to their potential they will be very difficuly to stop. Josh, Louis, Ray, Ricky, Dan, Pete, Matt and Bryan yall keep the BLUE WALL going!!! Good luck to the Eagles and everyone else.

ps Anahuac has been talkin a whole lot of you know what. Yall take care of business.

trojandad
07-06-2003, 12:45 AM
I concure that having the Hill is great in your district, one can only get better by playing good teams and they have one of the best programs around, whether it is due to economics, size, whatever the means. That's the price one pays at the 3A level. We laid a copy of our district over a map north of Houston and it starts over Liberty and stretches over Dayton, a 4A school, past the Hill and down to the outskirts of the Baytown district. It's a complete joke to look at the businesses that help generate funds for the Hill, and then look at our district. The only franchise we have in out town is a Subway. No car dealership, no McDonalds, on and on. I definitely see the correlation Old Card is making and understand the differences of their advantages.

But isn't that what 3A ball is about? How many of us have laced them up against a school we had no business being on the field with and then saw that they put on their jocks just like we did? When we went to the state finals in 92, to the semis in 96, almost beating the unbeatable Sealy team (talk about rich districts), teams were beaten along the way that were incredible with rich rich heritages.

In life, all of these guys are going to face HUGE odds at one time or another. When they do, hopefully they will have these games against great, powerful, overwhelming school districts in their back pockets and be able to draw off of the strength of an upset victory, or even draw off of the lessons learned from a loss to such a school. So it's definitely not a disadvantage to play these schools, it's actually an opportunity, one that I relay to my son to appreciate and cherish the opportunity of.

Barring big injury, BH will be our Div I entry and Liberty and CS will be the Div II ones. Being an alum of Cleveland and having an office there, Cleveland has many many MANY internal problems that won't allow many of their athletes to feel welcome to participate in football. It's a tough situation for coach Al but he realizes that he was brought there for his integrity and his character and not necessarily for wins and losses. He knows he is doing the best he can for the situation he's got and I for one admire him for his courage to tackle a situation like that, it's not gonna bring him very many brownie points in the sports page but he's sure doing the job he was hired to do.

Carrington is going to be at Prairie View next year, but so is Darius Brown, our QB last year. And he turned down a full ride to Iowa State to go Prairie View, he's a happy camper, so those two will be lining up together on Saturdays. We sure plan on going to more than one of those games. But it all shows that objective look at athletes does not include the richness of their school districts, only what they left on the field.

We have Liberty and Cleveland on our turf this year (Liberty for the first time in three years) and have a head coach that wants to put Lagway back in an I and run him 20-25 times a game. He made 1st team All District last year carrying the ball 7 times a game. Only 7. For 1100 yards total. He'll at last get the carries that Carrington was able to get last year. If one does the math, it gets scary.

If I had to bet my mortgage, I would think BH would carry the district this year. But I think Matthew is right, if our line gels with this new coach (a former high school all american offensive tackle) I think that's our last hole to fill. If not, we'll be fortunate to make it through the second round of the playoffs again. But whatever happens, I'm glad BH is in our district. If we beat them, who can't we beat? My hat's off to them, for sure.

Old Cardinal
07-06-2003, 11:39 AM
QBKilla and TrojanDad, those were two excellent and informative post! Thank you!

<small>[ July 06, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
07-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Well said, trojndad!! wink

bheagledad22
07-07-2003, 01:18 PM
THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL OUTLOOK ON THE EAGLES QBKILLA GOOD LUCK AT MCNEESE GO EAGLES 2003.

<small>[ July 07, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: bheagledad22 ]</small>