PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer 42 Cuero 36 Postgame Thoughts

headhunter
12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
I would like to hear what everyone thougt about the game tonight. I have plenty to say and will sleep on my thoughts tonight and post in the morning.

IHStangFan
12-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Not being there in person, and only listening in on the webcast all I can add is this....

Sounded like a great game. Sounded like the teams were pretty evenly matched. They went blow for blow all game long.

In the end Gilmer's D made a stand in the final seconds to stall a Gobblers team that had been moving the ball pretty effectively and shut them down only a few yards from a winning score.

GREAT game!!

:clap:

Maroon87
12-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Trent Jackson is a stud. That is all.

bvillebrahma010
12-06-2009, 01:32 AM
made the drive for this one. freezed my butt of for this one. in the end, it was all worth it! These two teams are INCREDIBLE! both deserved to win but couldnt! The Gilmer quarterback is a complete MONSTER! the cuero quarterback and running back are probably 2 of the best athletes in 3AAA. it was back and forth all game long! this was a true dog fight! incredible game! sorry to all of the cuero players, coaches, and fans about the loss, but you guys ALMOST beat the #1 team in state! fantastic game!!

44INAROW
12-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by bvillebrahma010
made the drive for this one. freezed my butt of for this one. in the end, it was all worth it! These two teams are INCREDIBLE! both deserved to win but couldnt! The Gilmer quarterback is a complete MONSTER! the cuero quarterback and running back are probably 2 of the best athletes in 3AAA. it was back and forth all game long! this was a true dog fight! incredible game! sorry to all of the cuero players, coaches, and fans about the loss, but you guys ALMOST beat the #1 team in state! fantastic game!!
thank you ----- were you with your QB/pitcher? if so you'll were just a few rows in front of us.

my thoughts.. it was COLD lol.. I will sleep on it and reply later if I get my thoughts together ;)

gobbler grad
12-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by bvillebrahma010

I agree totally...

but with a running back like Jackson, why throw it...you only need 5 yds...i can almost guarantee with 2 plays left, he will get the 5 yds. the way he was running tonight...i'm sure many Cuero fans will agree with me...

but i am still very proud of the young men...you all played an outstanding game...i'm going to bed---good night all

Maroon87
12-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
I agree totally...

but with a running back like Jackson, why throw it...you only need 5 yds...i can almost guarantee with 2 plays left, he will get the 5 yds. the way he was running tonight...i'm sure many Cuero fans will agree with me...

but i am still very proud of the young men...you all played an outstanding game...i'm going to bed---good night all

I heard a LOT of griping on the way out of the stadium about why Jackson didn't get the ball on every play down there. I cannot disagree with that opinion at all.

GTownballer
12-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Godfrey guns down Arndt,,, How do you turn the ball over 3 times, and give up 14 pts on those, and still come out with the win, against a team like Cuero? Godfrey just refuses to lose, and the Blackflag stepped it up when they had to. This was a great game, alittle closer than I expected, but just an exciting game. Cuero, never quit. one to remember....

forum_guy
12-06-2009, 03:05 AM
just got back from the game and i think as headhunter stated im going to sleep on this one too. Damn if you were a Gobbler fan this one hurt. Even in a so called "down" year i still believe Cuero should have won that game and could have actually played for a state title. Congrats Gilmer and I hope #12 keeps his head up. He's got a bright future.

29-3aFAN
12-06-2009, 03:14 AM
I agree totally...

I second that.

gobblerfan02
12-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by GTownballer
Godfrey guns down Arndt,,, How do you turn the ball over 3 times, and give up 14 pts on those, and still come out with the win, against a team like Cuero? Godfrey just refuses to lose, and the Blackflag stepped it up when they had to. This was a great game, alittle closer than I expected, but just an exciting game. Cuero, never quit. one to remember.... I wouldn't say Godfrey gunned down Arndt...after all, it was Godfrey who had 2 turnovers...don't forget Cuero turned the ball over once that led to 7 pts! Just don't see how you can justify one Quarterback being better than the other, they have two different styles. Who knows, if that last play was different would you say Arndt gunned down Godfrey, NO. Both are outstanding quarterbacks with different styles of play, Godfrey did it tonight with his legs, Arndt did it with his arm. It's just not fair to either of them that one had to lose as both are great players!

Just my 2 cents!

easttexas3a
12-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Words can not describe how good of a game this was. Just getting in from Gilmer, Im tired, I cant speak, and my toes are gone. Just an amazing game.

The tradition of the two schools just oozed out during pre game with the cuero go mean green shouts, and the buckeye band performing "call out" witht he fans rocking back and forth. I was very very impressed with the cuero fan base and how into it they were the entire game. Was also special to see #22 honored so much by the cuero players and fans.

Thoughts on the game, Cuero was as good as advertised and more on Offense. Jackson is absolutely amazing. Reminded me a lot of Dwight Smith from Carthage last year. I would hate to face him in the years too come. Arndt was very good, very accurate, and just did not make mistakes. And WOW at you guys tight end. Idk his name but he just kept getting open. And talk about some of the catches you guys made. The Cuero Defense played very hard and made some huge plays, great interception early in the game and was able to pounce on the costly Godfrey Fumble in Buckeye Territory. I thought the Cuero D was much better than what the score might of indicated.

For the buckeyes, its just another game in which toughness and grit was displayed by the entire team. Godfrey threw an interception and fumbled inside his own 30 seemingly on the first two possessions of the game I believe resulting in 13 Gobbler points. Paul Chestnut fumbled a punt return in the 2nd quarter after Gilmer for the first time stopped the gobblers. At that point, I thought 3 turnovers vs. this good an opponet would be way too much. However Godfrey and Coach Traylor refused, Coach Traylor made some gutsy calls, and rather you liek the riverboat gambling or not, he coaches to win a game. The onside for Gilmer proved to be huge. The Darian Godfrey TD run that proved to be the game winner was one of the most spectacular plays I have seen as a Gilmer Fan. I just can't express how proud I was of Darian for getting himself out of the early game slump and basically lifting the whole offense on his back in the 2nd half. The Gilmer D made just enough stops to stay in the game, Cuero gave the Gilmer D oppurtunities to put the game away, but somehow Cuero kept finding a way, creating turnovers for a short field, recovering muffed punts, and the fake punt on 4th a 10 late was huge as well. But when it came down to 1:22 left, the Gilmer D facing a Cuero O they hadn't stopped much all night, the D stepped up 4 plays ina row when we needed it the most, not allowing a yard. THE best defensive stand the buckeyes have ever had.

Nothing but respect for the Cuero Gobblers on a great season.

12thMan
12-06-2009, 08:30 AM
I agree also. Trent would of punched it in with the night he was having.

GreenMachine
12-06-2009, 09:09 AM
WOW!! What a game. Everything it was advertised to be. Two great teams going after it and not decided until the final seconds. A couple of Gilmer fans predicted a blowout, but I knew that wouldn't happen EITHER way. I think if they played ten times, you could split it 5-5. Gilmer QB was impressive and Cuero didn't have an answer for him and I was afraid this might be the case. Tyler, Trent and company were impressive as always. I sure hope Tyler plays football because he will be playing on Sunday's in the future and no doubt there were college recruiters foaming at the mouth over Jackson... but you'll have to wait a couple years. How about Hoffman making huge plays and kicking a 37 yd field goal? Green making big catches and the rest of the team playing great. BOTH teams knew they had played in a "dogfight" and the sportsmanship showed towards the end of the game and at the end. Gilmer fans were loud and proud and so were the Cuero fans. BOTH towns have teams they can be proud of and represent there communities with class and respect. :clap:

GreenMachine
12-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Hard to question the coaches decisions down on the goal line at the end. They got us this far again. I probably would have run Jackson four straight times, but they put it in our senior leader's hands and POSSIBLY without the great play by the Gilmer player getting through the line and rushing Tyler the game MIGHT have turned out differently. Like I said, you put the game in the hands of your "field general", just didn't work out this time.

gobbler grad
12-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Hard to question the coaches decisions down on the goal line at the end. They got us this far again. I probably would have run Jackson four straight times, but they put it in our senior leader's hands and POSSIBLY without the great play by the Gilmer player getting through the line and rushing Tyler the game MIGHT have turned out differently. Like I said, you put the game in the hands of your "field general", just didn't work out this time.

that's one way to look at it...:thinking: but the running game was working so much better...:confused:

GreenMachine
12-06-2009, 09:28 AM
that's one way to look at it...:thinking: but the running game was working so much better...:confused: Agreed. DOUBT they could have stopped Jackson. Just saying, Tyler isn't a bad option to go to :thinking:

old dragon
12-06-2009, 09:54 AM
The Gobblers had no time outs left, if Jackson doesn"t score there is no way to stop clock.

GreenMachine
12-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Just got back from reading the smoakhouse forum and when Cuero was winning 13-0 early, Some Gilmer poster played the "injury" card and was stating why they were losing. :rolleyes: Are you kidding me? A lot of Cuero's kids play offense and defense and are banged up and you pulled that card?

GreenMachine
12-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by old dragon
The Gobblers had no time outs left, if Jackson doesn"t score there is no way to stop clock. But there was still 40 something seconds left.

lostaussie
12-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Just got back from reading the smoakhouse forum and when Cuero was winning 13-0 early, Some Gilmer poster played the "injury" card and was stating why they were losing. :rolleyes: Are you kidding me? A lot of Cuero's kids play offense and defense and are banged up and you pulled that card? if you wouldn't read what they say over there your blood pressure would not go up!!! they got some real winners over there................and their not just from gilmer. i basically use that board for stats and info because its great for that. your kids played a great game................hit us with a sunday punch and we took it. you got a great group of kids, great fanbase, and a great town. i am always a gobbler fan and will continue to be so!!! congradulations to your kids.............they played awesome!!!

poisoned10
12-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Just got back from reading the smoakhouse forum and when Cuero was winning 13-0 early, Some Gilmer poster played the "injury" card and was stating why they were losing. :rolleyes: Are you kidding me? A lot of Cuero's kids play offense and defense and are banged up and you pulled that card?

Like 'aussie' said, I wouldn't worry much about what was said on SDC. I used to be a hardcore poster there, I have around 4,000 posts there.

Those players that he mentioned were playing. They may not have been 100%, but they were playing, except for maybe Vance Green, I don't remember seeing much of him during the game, if at all.

GUNHO
12-06-2009, 10:37 AM
But there was still 40 something seconds left.

I agree,just not enough time left to do what brought you here.I beleive they punch it in had they had the time to regroup.40 seconds is a life time in the pros but not for highschool kids.Great game...to bad one had to lose.

LionFan72
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
WOW is all I can Say!

What an incredible weekend for 3A Championship Football across the board! Gilmer may be the real deal, we find out this weekend against another very good Abilene Wylie team. Congrats on hard fought wins by both finalist, and it is a shame that there has to be losers. All games with exception of the Graham game were decided in the last minutes/seconds of the game.

Cuero, Lucas-Lovejoy, Sinton, Pleasant Grove, and Wimberly, are winners and have nothing to hang their heads about. My congrats on your accomplishments and your great game play!

I-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e and we have 3 more suspense filled games, what else can we ask of 15-16-17-18 year old young men. THANKS for some of the best football ever!

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Wow... what a game... really enjoyed this one... and how 'bout that weather? soooooo nice....

Anyway... great game Gobblers, so proud of you guys... as said before I expected it to be a down year with only 5 or so starters returning but you guys did it... very proud of you...

Gilmer? Wow... athletes... they also have a few great athletes and then there's some more athletes... It seems their coaches did a damn good job of making adjustments at the half... That secondary was amazing... they were like Glue on our guys and almost every passby Arndt had to be perfect and out the damn way... and Godfry/frey? Wow, was cool to see this kid play, awesome athlete... awesome athletes all around (have I said that yet?)... hope they can win state since Cuero can't (or hope they played an ineligible player ala Katy '98 ha)...

As for the decisions to pass at the end and not run... I mean I'd almost agree, hell Gilmer was callin' timeouts for us... but I like what someone said about putting the ball in the hands of your leader... and not only that, look at that second half... Trent doing well on the ground was hit or miss, it wasn't going to be automatic... the Buckeyes were doing a great job against him... I think it was a toss-up of what to do and won't complain, they did the right thing...

buxfanatic
12-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10
[
Those players that he mentioned were playing. They may not have been 100%, but they were playing, except for maybe Vance Green, I don't remember seeing much of him during the game, if at all. [/B]

They were playing but not near as much. 3rd string rb started triston wasnt returing punts gus was used the most and looked like he may have been re injured SORRY BUT INJURIES WAS A FACTOR

1st and goal
12-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Both of these teams have my utmost respect this year. It is sad that one had to lose.
No one should 2nd guess (in anger) what could have happened. All the whatifs and such. It could have ended differently. Give Gilmer's D the respect they deserve.

When you get this high in the playoffs, you need a bit of luck too. All the hard work and preparation gets you where you need to be. You just need a bit of luck too to get the win.

Hold your heads up high Cuero boys, you represented your town well.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by buxfanatic
SORRY BUT INJURIES WAS A FACTOR

it's okay, wins don't have to be blowouts... you're spoiled

:p

BuckeyeNut
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
#10 Stump Godfrey put this team on his back and did what he needed to do win. This is the young man that no one would vote for all year long for POW. I hope now everyone see just how great this young man is.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
I hope now everyone see just how great this young man is.

a badass... a Turkey Hunter... :mad:

lostaussie
12-06-2009, 11:10 AM
They were playing but not near as much. 3rd string rb started triston wasnt returing punts gus was used the most and looked like he may have been re injured SORRY BUT INJURIES WAS A FACTOR do you not think the gobblers might have had some banged up players? i am pretty sure 27 was hurting in the second half. he didn't get the ball nearly as much. injuries are part of the game............we won............we don't have to make excuses for why we didn't win by more................the Gobblers were a GREAT opponent that we were fortunate to beat. I hope in the future we get another opportunity to play such a storied tradition:clap::clap:

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
do you not think the gobblers might have had some banged up players? i am pretty sure 27 was hurting in the second half. he didn't get the ball nearly as much. injuries are part of the game............we won............we don't have to make excuses for why we didn't win by more................the Gobblers were a GREAT opponent that we were fortunate to beat. I hope in the future we get another opportunity to play such a storied tradition:clap::clap:

Yah, and I'm pretty sure #3 was hurting, had to have an injury timeout... laid that wood on ole Monte a couple of times... glad he came back after one of those to make a great catch...

poisoned10
12-06-2009, 11:29 AM
On to the game . . .

This was probably the greatest game that I have ever seen. Both teams came out and went HARD at each other for 48 minutes non-stop. There is no doubt that these are 2 of the greatest programs in the state.

About Cuero: You guys were exactly right when you said the kids would never quit. They never seemed to slow down from start to finish. They played on such a high level the ENTIRE game. Tyler Arndt is a very good QB. H was very accurate, even on the run. Trent Jackson is just a BEAST. He is easily one of the best RB's that I've seen and the kid is just a sophmore. I hope we don't have to face you guys when he is a senior. #3, Green, I think, is a playmaker. He is a good reciever and very fast. I didn't see how many seniors you guys have, but if this is your "down" year, I'm sure you won't have any problems getting back here.

About Gilmer: Uncharacteristically, we had 3 turnovers. Even more so, 3 in one half. But you never let it get you down and you continued to play lights out. 3 turnovers that lead to TD's for your opponent are NEVER easy to over come. But to your credit, you guys had an oppertunity to have the lead at halftime. Excellent fight, especially when it would have been easy to get down on yourself. Defense, to hold a team like Cuero to 0 yards after 4 plays from the 5 yard line was great. You made the plays when you needed to. That dive to swat away the pass on 3rd down had to be the play of the game. You guys really stepped it up when you had to.

Stump, after watching you play QB over the last 3 years and 43 games, you continue to amaze me. The determination you showed on the game winning TD run and the ensuing 2-point conversion was just amazing. I don't care if there are 100 QB's that are "better" than you, I wouldn't want any one else to lead this team. It is a pleasure and priviledge to watch you play every week.

I know this loss has to be extremely tough for all those involved with Cuero. I know if you guys would have scored at the end, it would have been extremely tough for us. Unfortunately, someone had to lose. This was the 1st time that I've been able to see you play and it was everything that I imagined it would have been. Congrats on the season you guys had and good luck next season. Hopefully we will be seeing you in the near future.

Lets go Buckeyes! 14 down, 1 more to go. Lets finish it off next week againt Wylie!

44INAROW
12-06-2009, 11:30 AM
They were playing but not near as much. 3rd string rb started triston wasnt returing punts gus was used the most and looked like he may have been re injured SORRY BUT INJURIES WAS A FACTOR

oh give me a freaking break :rolleyes: take that crap somewhere else.. you aren't even in the same league as most of the Gilmer posters.. :doh: Injuries as well as turnovers are part of the game.. deal with it. you won - why be an ***:confused:

gobbler grad
12-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by old dragon
The Gobblers had no time outs left, if Jackson doesn"t score there is no way to stop clock.

you have to run the ball down there and also run time off the clock...you cannot give the ball back to Gilmer with lots of time time left...Godfrey is too damn dangerous...he can run 60 yds. untouched very easily...it happened earlier:mad:

XtremeCouture
12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
gilmer called timeout after the first two plays so i'm fairly certain cuero could manage to run the ball twice in 60 seconds.

Simple Man
12-06-2009, 01:29 PM
What I great game everyone witnessed last night. Cuero was everything that I expected. I have been reading about them for years. They have been winning state championships since I was in high school, and might I add that was many years ago. I know that everyone from Cuero went home with a heavy heart last night. With less that a minute left, I thought i would be driving home with the heavy heart. The game could have gone either way. Gilmer just stepped up and made a couple plays in the end. It could have just as easily been the other way.

To some of the Gilmer posters, and you know who you are, be happy, we won the game. Dont get on here and make excuses, we cant expect the young men on our team to beat everyone by 40. This wasnt just any team we were playing last night, it was the Cuero Gobblers. Read your history. They have been here many times and they will be back again. Any excuses diminishes the effort put out by the players and coaches on both teams. Both teams left it all on the field last night. Great players make great plays and both teams had plenty last night.

44INAROW
12-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Simple Man
What I great game everyone witnessed last night. Cuero was everything that I expected. I have been reading about them for years. They have been winning state championships since I was in high school, and might I add that was many years ago. I know that everyone from Cuero went home with a heavy heart last night. With less that a minute left, I thought i would be driving home with the heavy heart. The game could have gone either way. Gilmer just stepped up and made a couple plays in the end. It could have just as easily been the other way.

To some of the Gilmer posters, and you know who you are, be happy, we won the game. Dont get on here and make excuses, we cant expect the young men on our team to beat everyone by 40. This wasnt just any team we were playing last night, it was the Cuero Gobblers. Read your history. They have been here many times and they will be back again. Any excuses diminishes the effort put out by the players and coaches on both teams. Both teams left it all on the field last night. Great players make great plays and both teams had plenty last night.

thank you :clap: you said it more delicately than I did :)

buxfanatic
12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
oh give me a freaking break :rolleyes: take that crap somewhere else.. you aren't even in the same league as most of the Gilmer posters.. :doh: Injuries as well as turnovers are part of the game.. deal with it. you won - why be an ***
:confused:

SORRY WASNT TRYING TO BE i had read where gilmer was overrated after the way they played last nite theyy did not play their best and cuero did wasnt tring to take anything from yall yall were great

headhunter
12-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I’m going to make two posts, first about the game then about how I disagree with the last four plays and the last seven years.

The Cuero Gobblers may have been the underdog on Saturday night, however when they kicked off you would have never known that was the case. The Gobblers shut out the states #1 team in the 1st quarter and had the Gilmer offense wondering what had just hit them. The Gobblers played a three down linemen front with a nickel coverage package (something I have never seen before and neither had Gilmer). The Gobbler just flat out made plays and took a demanding 13-0 lead. At this time the only thing that had stopped the Gobblers was a bad snap to Tyler that forced the Gobblers to punt. After the dust settled in the 1st qtr Gilmer found the endzone three times in the 2nd qtr. The biggest play for Gilmer was the surprise onside kick which was just executed perfect and the ball just bounced right for the Buckeyes. As good as things had gone for the Gobblers they were trailing with 1:40 left to play before half. Arndt and Jackson each made a big play and put the Gobblers in the endzone and leading going into the half.

The biggest play of the night then came, not on offense, but on defense for the Gilmer Buckeyes. The Gobblers chose to receive the ball the second half with the intentions of scoring their first possession. Gilmer made three huge plays and forced the Gobblers to a three and out. This then led to both teams going back and forth and Gilmer’s Darien Godfrey making the biggest run of his life to take a lead with 2:12 left to play in the game. Then it came down to the Gobblers having to go 65 yards and score a TD to win. They took it 60 yards and the Gilmer defense made four stops to give the Buckeyes a trip to the state finals.
It was a great game, the feeling I have is “shocked,” I felt we outplayed Gilmer all night and deserved to win the game. Gilmer just stepped up at the right time. I was sick to my stomach all night and still am. The thing that I am amazed at it how the Gobbler community backs the players. I witnessed one of the loudest high school games ever. The crowd stood the entire game and played a huge roll into the false start penalties early for Gilmer. I think it is just amazing how Gobbler Alumni plan all week to make it to the game, nothing else matters to them. My group of friends which consists of younger, newer Alumni could have had that feeling, “Since I didn’t win it I don’t really want these kids to either.” BUT that is not the case, we all realized that is the selfish was to look at it and scream our hearts out for those kids. We all wanted these kids to do the thing we failed at. I think it is just amazing how all week my group set their schedule around making it to the game and nothing else mattered. That right there is what it’s all about.

I feel for those kids because just like in 2004, they had a chance and no right plays just where not called to get them in the endzone.

buxfanatic
12-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
oh give me a freaking break :rolleyes: take that crap somewhere else.. you aren't even in the same league as most of the Gilmer posters.. :doh: Injuries as well as turnovers are part of the game.. deal with it. you won - why be an ***:confused:

sorry i aint in the same class as some the other gilmer posters on here talkin smack about smoaky people then get on smoky bein buddys. Sorry dont want to be that kind of person. good luck in b-ball

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 01:42 PM
good luck in b-ball

bleh, with only 6 teams left out of 96 that is no longer an insult...

Good luck to Gilmer!

44INAROW
12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
sorry i aint in the same class as some the other gilmer posters on here talkin smack about smoaky people then get on smoky bein buddys. Sorry dont want to be that kind of person. good luck in b-ball
why don't you go back to Smoaky.. and thank you for proving my point!

headhunter
12-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Now here are my feelings on the game and play-calling and game plan. I know I will get blasted from the Reeve believers. I know y’all will say, “He is doing his best.” Well sometimes your best isn’t good enough. You have had seven years of talent come through Cuero and you have failed to put a ring on your finger. If you want to, I will go toe-to-toe and match any argument you have. I know what most will say is, “Coach Reeve is a good guy and he teaches those kids more than football.” Here is my response to that, THAT IS ALREADY EXPECTED, WE HIRE YOU TO TEACH THOSE KIDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY WE PAY YOU TO WIN AND OUTCOACH SOMEONE ELSE.

Let’s breakdown the game.
I was very impressed with the defensive game-plan for the game, I though coach Mark Reeve did an excellent job of scheming the defense and throwing something at Gilmer that they have not seen.

My problem is with the offensive play-calling. Travis Reeve called a very good game most of the night. After Gilmer scored to make it 13-7 we received the ball and called three plays that had gone away from everything we were doing from the start. Three plays started out by lining up in a double tight single back formation (note we run this on 2nd down and goal at the end and it didn’t work either) and giving Jackson the ball on an ISO. Up to this point, Jackson was running off tackle and we had a full back or a man in motion that would assist to block. We then threw a low percentage pass as we only had 2 WR in the route on second down. Then we tried a trick play with a left handed WR catching it and running to the right. 3rd and 4 and you don’t let Arndt make a throw? If anyone should through the ball its #12, if you’re going to call a trick play, then call a good one! We got away with this 3 and out because of the muffed punt, but we looked like crap on that series. We went away with what we do best.

Next, and this was the most important part of the game. We had 25 minutes at halftime to decide what plays we were going to run on our opening drive. We went 3 and out. Gilmer loaded the box in the second half with 8 men in the box. Did we not think they were going to adjust? Gilmer was not going to let Jackson beat us. We should have realized that right away and let Tyler move the pocket and throw the ball. Gilmer was going to stop the run, and we were to stubborn to realize the odds were better if we came out throwing.

THE LAST FOUR PLAYS!

We had them just where we wanted them. 1st and goal from the 10. I liked the first play call, it was a counter with a fullback blocking that allowed Jackson to pick a hole. Why not stay with it? Instead we line up double tight with one back in the backfield (Jackson). That made it easy for Gilmer to key on one guy and we just ran an ISO run up the middle. BAD CALL! You still could have run it on third down, but I do not mind letting Tyler throw it, however allow Tyler to roll and give him the option to run or pass. It has worked all year. Remember Sealy and Edna when he tucked it and ran for a TD. Then the 4th down play call was horrible. It was the “DICKYDOO” Trick play. Hengst is covered up by Hoffman who steps back and goes in motion so to hope the defense forgets about Hengst. Only Gilmer did not forget because when we lined up they pointed him out, Gilmer scouted well and realized the play. I saw the LB call this as we lined up. The problem I have with this play call is it has only ONE option. If Hengst is covered up as he was, then Tyler has no other option. You should have allowed your best player, the guy who has been there three times, the leader, the field general to rollout and give him a throwback option, give him a RB in endzone and WR over the top to the corner. OR he just tucks it and run. We outcoached ourselves. As soon as I saw the Gilmer LB call out Hengst I knew we were in trouble.

We have had our chances in seven years, we had the ball on the Abilene Wylie 16 with 2 minutes left to play. And ran the four worst plays known to man.

We had a 21-12 lead over Hutto with 10 minutes left and got conservative in 2005.

We told our players to calm down in 2006 before we came out of the tunnel at halftime and lost the intensity. In 2006 we played all year without a DB that chose to go rope and then in the playoffs Coach Reeve asked him to come back and let him play. Telling his players pretty much we are not good enough with what I got. BAD DEAL

In 2007 our first play vs China Spring was a throw with a soph. QB into the wind with only one WR out wide and it gets picked. Change the entire game.

In 2008 we were undersized on defense, BUT when we block LaVega’s extra point with 9;40 left in the 4th we trailed 27-21. It was up to Travis Reeve to put together one drive that would get us in the endzone and take the first lead of the game and force LaVega to have to come from behind, what did we do? 3 and out!

And in 2009 we were first and goal with 1:07 left to play and we couldn’t get it in.

I realize I just called out a coach who has a 84-11 record in 7 seasons. But in Cuero we do not play for semi-finals. We play to Win a State Championship, the day we become satisfied with a season like this is the day we fail. That is the way Gobbler football is. Either figure out a way to get it done or we can get someone else.

headhunter
12-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I would love for someone to start debating with me, before you argue, just remember - IT CUERO WE PLAY TO WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. IT HASN'T CHANGED SINCE 1970. Anything less is not excepted.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 01:52 PM
well I can debate you on one thing: telling the players to calm down before coming out at halftime is NOT why Wimberley kicked Cuero's ass in the second half... sorry...

Green Bling
12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
WOW!! What a game!! Gobblers acquitted themselves exceptionally well. After looking at the stats in the paper this morning, this really was a toe to toe match up! Both teams left it all on the field, both played with great character and resolve. Great fans on both sides enjoyed what December football is all about . So proud of our Gobblers. Thanks for a great run!! Good luck to the Buckeyes. Will be listening to your game next week.

Green Bling
12-06-2009, 02:11 PM
On another note! Got home at 3:30 this a.m. Charter broke down twice on the way home. Finally had to bring in another bus. Must take some responsibility for this one as this also happened to me in "04 on the way to the game in Waco. Not sure I'll be able to get a seat on a charter in the future.:D :D Totally worth it though, wouldn't have missed this for the world!! Gooo!! Meeean!! Greeeen!

lostaussie
12-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
I would love for someone to start debating with me, before you argue, just remember - IT CUERO WE PLAY TO WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. IT HASN'T CHANGED SINCE 1970. Anything less is not excepted. i'm not gonna debate you cause I'm not from there.................but to your post I just want to say...........HOLY CRAP!!!!! AND THATS NOT REALLY WHAT I MEAN.

XtremeCouture
12-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Now here are my feelings on the game and play-calling and game plan. I know I will get blasted from the Reeve believers. I know y’all will say, “He is doing his best.” Well sometimes your best isn’t good enough. You have had seven years of talent come through Cuero and you have failed to put a ring on your finger. If you want to, I will go toe-to-toe and match any argument you have. I know what most will say is, “Coach Reeve is a good guy and he teaches those kids more than football.” Here is my response to that, THAT IS ALREADY EXPECTED, WE HIRE YOU TO TEACH THOSE KIDS TO DO THE RIGHT THING BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY WE PAY YOU TO WIN AND OUTCOACH SOMEONE ELSE.

Let’s breakdown the game.
I was very impressed with the defensive game-plan for the game, I though coach Mark Reeve did an excellent job of scheming the defense and throwing something at Gilmer that they have not seen.

My problem is with the offensive play-calling. Travis Reeve called a very good game most of the night. After Gilmer scored to make it 13-7 we received the ball and called three plays that had gone away from everything we were doing from the start. Three plays started out by lining up in a double tight single back formation (note we run this on 2nd down and goal at the end and it didn’t work either) and giving Jackson the ball on an ISO. Up to this point, Jackson was running off tackle and we had a full back or a man in motion that would assist to block. We then threw a low percentage pass as we only had 2 WR in the route on second down. Then we tried a trick play with a left handed WR catching it and running to the right. 3rd and 4 and you don’t let Arndt make a throw? If anyone should through the ball its #12, if you’re going to call a trick play, then call a good one! We got away with this 3 and out because of the muffed punt, but we looked like crap on that series. We went away with what we do best.

Next, and this was the most important part of the game. We had 25 minutes at halftime to decide what plays we were going to run on our opening drive. We went 3 and out. Gilmer loaded the box in the second half with 8 men in the box. Did we not think they were going to adjust? Gilmer was not going to let Jackson beat us. We should have realized that right away and let Tyler move the pocket and throw the ball. Gilmer was going to stop the run, and we were to stubborn to realize the odds were better if we came out throwing.

THE LAST FOUR PLAYS!

We had them just where we wanted them. 1st and goal from the 10. I liked the first play call, it was a counter with a fullback blocking that allowed Jackson to pick a hole. Why not stay with it? Instead we line up double tight with one back in the backfield (Jackson). That made it easy for Gilmer to key on one guy and we just ran an ISO run up the middle. BAD CALL! You still could have run it on third down, but I do not mind letting Tyler throw it, however allow Tyler to roll and give him the option to run or pass. It has worked all year. Remember Sealy and Edna when he tucked it and ran for a TD. Then the 4th down play call was horrible. It was the “DICKYDOO” Trick play. Hengst is covered up by Hoffman who steps back and goes in motion so to hope the defense forgets about Hengst. Only Gilmer did not forget because when we lined up they pointed him out, Gilmer scouted well and realized the play. I saw the LB call this as we lined up. The problem I have with this play call is it has only ONE option. If Hengst is covered up as he was, then Tyler has no other option. You should have allowed your best player, the guy who has been there three times, the leader, the field general to rollout and give him a throwback option, give him a RB in endzone and WR over the top to the corner. OR he just tucks it and run. We outcoached ourselves. As soon as I saw the Gilmer LB call out Hengst I knew we were in trouble.

We have had our chances in seven years, we had the ball on the Abilene Wylie 16 with 2 minutes left to play. And ran the four worst plays known to man.

We had a 21-12 lead over Hutto with 10 minutes left and got conservative in 2005.

We told our players to calm down in 2006 before we came out of the tunnel at halftime and lost the intensity. In 2006 we played all year without a DB that chose to go rope and then in the playoffs Coach Reeve asked him to come back and let him play. Telling his players pretty much we are not good enough with what I got. BAD DEAL

In 2007 our first play vs China Spring was a throw with a soph. QB into the wind with only one WR out wide and it gets picked. Change the entire game.

In 2008 we were undersized on defense, BUT when we block LaVega’s extra point with 9;40 left in the 4th we trailed 27-21. It was up to Travis Reeve to put together one drive that would get us in the endzone and take the first lead of the game and force LaVega to have to come from behind, what did we do? 3 and out!

And in 2009 we were first and goal with 1:07 left to play and we couldn’t get it in.

I realize I just called out a coach who has a 84-11 record in 7 seasons. But in Cuero we do not play for semi-finals. We play to Win a State Championship, the day we become satisfied with a season like this is the day we fail. That is the way Gobbler football is. Either figure out a way to get it done or we can get someone else.
i agree with some of this but the fact is the refs screwed us in 2005 against hutto without a doubt. 2006 i think that team was way too arrogant for their own good and the last two years they were just outplayed by one really good team and then another team playing with a criminal that should have never been on that team. last night, as much as i want to find someone to blame, i really can't. the only playcall i had a problem with was running out of a shotgun formation on 2nd and 3 in gilmer territory when handing off to jackson could have easily got the first down and really put us in a position to win. tarzan's mother should have been run on 3rd down instead of 4th. i will agree running a play with only one person to throw to on 4th down is ridiculous. i remember in high school talking about this play with the receivers and qb that played and they said if the te isn't open not only does the qb not know who to throw to but the receivers don't even know what route to run on the play.

so yeah the playcalling was fine except for what i said i believe and definitely on 4th down you have to give arndt the option to run or pass.

maroogreen
12-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I want to say congratulations to both teams, first of all. With a sick kiddo, I didn't make it to the game to sit in the cold, but I listened on the radio. and off topic, this has been the worst football season, weatherwise, that I can remember in some time....

I agree that there have been some questionable calls in the past years. But we can't know all of the factors playing into the decision-making on the field. I guarantee you that no coach calls plays intending to lose. And as the daughter of an AD, I can tell you that those plays are relived over and over for months, if not years, by the coaches that called them and the players that executed them. Former players STILL come up to my dad (those he played WITH in high school and those he coached) to talk about certain plays. And my dad is in his mid-60s!

I'll admit I was concerned after the Ingleside game. I thought Cuero looked sloppy and there were some issues with the line. I also think that T. Jackson has stellar games mixed with mediocre games. But he is a kid and still young, and that should even out over time. I have said before that I think Arndt is outstanding; I still do.

That said, I felt that Cuero played an outstanding game against a formidable Gilmer team. I remember the Hutto game, the Wylie game, etc., and it hurts every year. Gilmer should be proud of their performance and the mettle they showed. The Gobblers should be proud of their ability to overcome tragedies that teens shouldn't have to face and coordinate the efforts of all for a terrific season.

The South (Reg. IV) will rise again!

buxfanatic
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
bleh, with only 6 teams left out of 96 that is no longer an insult...

Good luck to Gilmer!

wasnt trying to insult now then since yall played yalls best and we didnt and still won hahahah

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 02:44 PM
wasnt trying to insult now then since yall played yalls best and we didnt and still won hahahah

haha well I tired to understand since couldnt what gunna do rosetta stone maybe bwah

lostaussie
12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
haha well I tired to understand since couldnt what gunna do rosetta stone maybe bwah roflmao

hookandladder
12-06-2009, 02:56 PM
I would love for someone to start debating with me, before you argue, just remember - IT CUERO WE PLAY TO WIN STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. IT HASN'T CHANGED SINCE 1970. Anything less is not excepted.

Have no dog in this fight but I would assume to make those comment's about a very successful coach that you have won aleast 1 State Championship and have had a successful career in coaching high school football. State Championships are very hard to come by and in high school you must have talent and recruiting is not allowed by most schools, so to compete and win a championship every year is impossible in high school. Sounds like you are trying to make Cuero a College or Pro team. Just my 2 cents.

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Have no dog in this fight but I would assume to make those comment's about a very successful coach that you have won aleast 1 State Championship and have had a successful career in coaching high school football. State Championships are very hard to come by and in high school you must have talent and recruiting is not allowed by most schools, so to compete and win a championship every year is impossible in high school. Sounds like you are trying to make Cuero a College or Pro team. Just my 2 cents.

Then you hav e no idea who I am. In the last seven years Cuero should have at least 1 State Championship. That is a FACT.

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Very bad last three plays, Tyler could have looked at his arm band and called a better plays. The 4th down play was horrible. Tyler only had 1 option. BAD CALL

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Very bad last three plays, Tyler could have looked at his arm band and called a better plays. The 4th down play was horrible. Tyler only had 1 option. BAD CALL

because Gilmer covered the other options like a blanket?

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Gobbla are you kidding me!!!

Get real man, Gilmer called two timeouts and gave us time to think about what we wanted to do, Abeline Wylie had the same thing last night from the 8 yard line, You know what happed? They figured it out and scored with less than 30 seconds left. They are going to the Show!!

If you agree with those three plays then you don't know football man!!! Just like in 2004 when we ran the worst 4 plays from the 16 yard line.

If your not going to run Jackson then give Arndt the option to run or pass. And on second down dont run Jackson up the mddle with no fullback, toss sweep and beat them to the corner

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:27 PM
I promise you - you do not want to get me started.

Sometimes to win it all you have to win a game your not supposed to win!!! Reeve has yet to have a ring. Bottom line is you got to get it done. 90% of the people in the stands agree with me.

And to go three and out after the half - UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Gobbla are you kidding me!!!

Get real man, Gilmer called two timeouts and gave us time to think about what we wanted to do, Abeline Wylie had the same thing last night from the 8 yard line, You know what happed? They figured it out and scored with less than 30 seconds left. They are going to the Show!!

If you agree with those three plays then you don't know football man!!! Just like in 2004 when we ran the worst 4 plays from the 16 yard line.

If your not going to run Jackson then give Arndt the option to run or pass. And on second down dont run Jackson up the mddle with no fullback, toss sweep and beat them to the corner

hey man, I'm not saying Reeve and his staff has called a perfect game every game every year, because they haven't... I'm just saying go pick up an application...

Reeve has done a great job here at Cuero... Gilmer just played lights out defense down there in the redzone, they had our receivers covered well and Trent was not going to be automatic, the Gilmer D was getting him 50% of the time...

Yah we want a championship, but I dunno many more coaches that give Cuero the opportunity to get there so I'm not going to complain too much...

he has done a great job disciplining these kids and has done an even better job putting the right players at the right positions every year...

I'm in NO hurry to get rid of him...

as I said, go get an application... explain to the admin what's gone wrong and how you plan to fix it...

SintonFan
12-06-2009, 03:35 PM
haha well I tired to understand since couldnt what gunna do rosetta stone maybe bwah

Rotflmao!
:clap: :D

GreenMachine
12-06-2009, 03:41 PM
hey man, I'm not saying Reeve and his staff has called a perfect game every game every year, because they haven't... I'm just saying go pick up an application...

Reeve has done a great job here at Cuero... Gilmer just played lights out defense down there in the redzone, they had our receivers covered well and Trent was not going to be automatic, the Gilmer D was getting him 50% of the time...

Yah we want a championship, but I dunno many more coaches that give Cuero the opportunity to get there so I'm not going to complain too much...

he has done a great job disciplining these kids and has done an even better job putting the right players at the right positions every year...

I'm in NO hurry to get rid of him...

as I said, go get an application... explain to the admin what's gone wrong and how you plan to fix it... I agree totally with this statement!!!

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes you say this every year "Go get an application if you think you can do better"

Well my response is - That is not my profession, I chose to do something else and when I fail I expect people to tell me.

When I mess up at my job I realize someone will be pissed and I will have to hear all about it. Same hear, probably same at your job. So don't go there.

This message board is just like being a college gameday analysts. They give their opinions, I give mine. They back their opinions up with fact, I do as well. Neither of us are a coach.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Yes you say this every year "Go get an application if you think you can do better"

Well my response is - That is not my profession, I chose to do something else and when I fail I expect people to tell me.

When I mess up at my job I realize someone will be pissed and I will have to hear all about it. Same hear, probably same at your job. So don't go there.

This message board is just like being a college gameday analysts. They give their opinions, I give mine. They back their opinions up with fact, I do as well. Neither of us are a coach.

I agree... and no I don't say that every year I think it's the first time I've said it...

I don't mind people being critical... but it sounds as if you're calling for the job of a coach who took a team with 5 starters returning to a 13-1 record... 5 yards and 6 points short of winning a state semis game against a very talented and just as determined football team...

I was being dead damn serious... you talk as if you know how to fix it... call up coach Reeve, tell him what you think... tell him what you would have done in all of those situations, maybe he'll listen...

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I will never say I can be a better Coach than someone else because that is not what i do. I won't say I am a better doctor or mechanic either because that is not what I do.

The fact is Coach Reeve did not surpass expectations, in 13 weeks this year we were the better team in all of them. Their is not one week we should have been beat. 84-11 record over 7 years is great, yipee! But go back and look at the 11 losses and you tell me, How many of those games could we / should we have won. Even if it is one game then he has underachieved with the talent he has had in seven years.

A win last night would have surpassed expectations!!

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:53 PM
My beef isn't really with Mark per say, I do like the guy and I know he means well. I think he put himself in a tough spot working with his son. Travis has tendencies and over 5 years those have hurt him. The only thing that stops the Gobbler offense is usually ourselves. Tyler Arndt may have just been the best QB to come through Cuero and when it mattered the most we did not give him the best chance to run or throw it in on 3rd and 4th down.

Let me repeat, anyone with any since will say the percentages are not in your favor when you call that 4th down trick play. Let Arndt roll with the option to run, It's not like I just thought of this, I said this before we ran our 3rd down play.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I will never say I can be a better Coach than someone else because that is not what i do. I won't say I am a better doctor or mechanic either because that is not what I do.

The fact is Coach Reeve did not surpass expectations, in 13 weeks this year we were the better team in all of them. Their is not one week we should have been beat. 84-11 record over 7 years is great, yipee! But go back and look at the 11 losses and you tell me, How many of those games could we / should we have won. Even if it is one game then he has underachieved with the talent he has had in seven years.

I'm not gunna get into the "shoulda" won type of stuff... Those other teams pulled deep and I won't discredit that... not here...

hookandladder
12-06-2009, 03:55 PM

You are correct everyone has their opinion and their right to express it however I think you have some unrealistic goals, It is very easy to sit in the stands and question calls made by the coaches. The only way for you to to be happy with every call is for you to be the HC and until you become one you will have to deal with it. I am sure if Reeves was forced to leave he would find a job pretty quick, don't know if you have that power in Cuero. Good Luck.

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Yes because you know I am right, their was at least one game

headhunter
12-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
You are correct everyone has their opinion and their right to express it however I think you have some unrealistic goals, It is very easy to sit in the stands and question calls made by the coaches. The only way for you to to be happy with every call is for you to be the HC and until you become one you will have to deal with it. I am sure if Reeves was forced to leave he would find a job pretty quick, don't know if you have that power in Cuero. Good Luck.

I will be happy along with others when we surpass expectations and get a ring. I do not think asking to win one State Championship is unrealistic.

Your from Lagrange, in 2004 with three starting pitchers in Bailey, Zoch and Jake (cant spell his last name) and Shramm at catcher ALL D1 COLLEGE POTENTIAL AND 1 PRO -- If you would not have won state you would have considered that a huge failure. The thing is, yall took advantage of the opportunity and made it happen. Baseball is way different than football but the point is when you have talent, you better take advantage of using it.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes because you know I am right, their was at least one game

k... I'll bite...

in '04 were there mistakes in the play-calling? You betcha... but I also saw Case Keenum kill us with his legs... I also saw Ross go for two picks that turned into big receptions when he could have made tackles for short gains (<-- that's an edit, originally said he could have "broken them up")...

I also saw two TD's called back on Cuero in that Hutto game for penalties, then saw a dedicated Hutto bunch blow Cuero off the ball for the game winning drive...

I saw Wimberley break tackle after tackle in route to blowing Cuero's ass out of the Alamo Dome...

I saw China Spring beat our asses, I saw Waco La Vega's running game kill us last year...

This year did I see some coaching mistakes? Yah... I also saw Tyler make a couple of bad passes... I also saw our Oline miss some blocks... I also saw Gilmer play great D with some damn good talent... I also saw Monte Green catch a badass pass from Tyler but take about 10 yards off of the play by trying to be cute and cut it back inside when he could have just ran down the sideline for more... I saw Gilmer stuff jackson a few times and I saw them break up some damn good passes on plays that I thought were good plays...

I'm not throwing all of this on Coach Reeve...

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I will be happy along with others when we surpass expectations and get a ring. I do not think asking to win one State Championship is unrealistic.

Your from Lagrange, in 2004 with three starting pitchers in Bailey, Zoch and Jake (cant spell his last name) and Shramm at catcher ALL D1 COLLEGE POTENTIAL AND 1 PRO -- If you would not have won state you would have considered that a huge failure. The thing is, yall took advantage of the opportunity and made it happen. Baseball is way different than football but the point is when you have talent, you better take advantage of using it.

Yah, Keenum at Wylie wasn't D1 talent... neither was Kerley at Hutto, or about 6 players for Gilmer last night... you act like we've lost to a buncha scrubs...

headhunter
12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Keenum never beats you in 04 if you give Harryman the ball and pound it to the endzone with that big o-line. Harryman had 4 carries in that game for about 50 yards, I think the odds are in your favor to get it in, INSTEAD we give a WR sweep to the littlest guy in Taylor on the team and lose four yards, then on 2nd and 14 we run a sweep outside the tackle box (to AW strength) then on 3rd we are in a must pass situation because we have already took ourselves out of field goals range, 4th down we just throw up a prayer.

If you think Hutto was better that night your wrong, We led 21-12 and only got one first down in the 4th qtr. That was travis's first year as OC and we got conservative, bad calls by the refs didnt help but our coaches were playing not to lose instead of playing to WIN.

I will go on if you want...

headhunter
12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I am not taking anything away from the other teams, What are my arguements about? It is about US the GOBBLERS!!!

When you have an opportunity you you either succeed or you fail!!! We have failed for 7 years, maybe Reeve is just jinxed

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Keenum never beats you in 04 if you give Harryman the ball and pound it to the endzone with that big o-line. Harryman had 4 carries in that game for about 50 yards, I think the odds are in your favor to get it in, INSTEAD we give a WR sweep to the littlest guy in Taylor on the team and lose four yards, then on 2nd and 14 we run a sweep outside the tackle box (to AW strength) then on 3rd we are in a must pass situation because we have already took ourselves out of field goals range, 4th down we just throw up a prayer.

If you think Hutto was better that night your wrong, We led 21-12 and only got one first down in the 4th qtr. That was travis's first year as OC and we got conservative, bad calls by the refs didnt help but our coaches were playing not to lose instead of playing to WIN.

I will go on if you want...

I've said the coaching hasn't been perfect... but there's a lot more that has gone into those losses than just coaching...

headhunter
12-06-2009, 04:19 PM
In 2006 a kid said he would rather rope than play football, he did that, Coach Reeve then asked him to come out in week 10 but he had to do extra running to make up for two a days and 9 weeks of games. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, then in baseball coach Reeve approved him to workout 4th period so he could rope after school and still play tuesday and fridays.

I am not calling out the kid. I am callingout Coach Reeve. How would you feel if you were a player and worked all year to get the opprotunity to play and then the coach says I cant win with you I need someone else.

COME ON GOBBLA get real man

OldBison75
12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I am not from Cuero and can't speak for what has happened in the past or what seems to be disappointment with not winning state every year. What I can say is that each year in this division, only two teams can win a trophy that says State Champ. Each year, there are usually at least ten teams that have the talent and ability to win that trophy if everything goes thier way. I guess that means that the top ten teams each year have eight coaches that make poor decisions.

If one of the plays Reeves called on the last drive would have been a score, Reve would have been the smartest coach in the world. Because it did not work, he is a goat. What I can tell you is that there were 11 guys on the defensive side of the ball that had alot of influence on the success, or failure of any plays. Face it, the Cuero team would not have been in that situation if Godfrey had not scored just before that. If the Gobbler defense had stopped him, those last four plays would have been moot points. You can't degrade a coach or team over a microscopic view of a whole game and only hold them accountable for those few plays. In this game there were about 100 snaps of the ball and on any of those, a different outcome might have changed the complexion of the game.

Both teams played inspired and very hard nosed football all day. The reality is someone had to lose and in this case it was Cuero. Was Gilmer really the better team, I don't know the answer because I saw two very good teams. Yes, Gilmer was ahead on the scoreboard at the end of the game and that is the final test. But, from what I saw, these teams could play 10 times and I think that the results would be five wins for Gilmer and five for Cuero. AND, i think every game would be decided by no more than 7 points. That is how these two teams compare in my book.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
In 2006 a kid said he would rather rope than play football, he did that, Coach Reeve then asked him to come out in week 10 but he had to do extra running to make up for two a days and 9 weeks of games. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, then in baseball coach Reeve approved him to workout 4th period so he could rope after school and still play tuesday and fridays.

I am not calling out the kid. I am callingout Coach Reeve. How would you feel if you were a player and worked all year to get the opprotunity to play and then the coach says I cant win with you I need someone else.

COME ON GOBBLA get real man

no that's not right, not saying it is, but you're graspin', you aint got enough mole-hills to make a mountain...

everyone in Cuero knows our coaching hasn't been perfect and there have been big mistakes, but we also know we've got a great coach...

we're gunna have to agree to semi-agree and disagree here... I aint beating this subject up, Reeve's gunna be the coach against next year and I hope he's learned from past mistakes...

headhunter
12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
The thing is I am not saying it after the fact, me as well as others are saying during the game let Jackson take a toss to the corner, or let Arndt throw or run on a rollout. You know why we say that? Because percentage wise that give you the best way to succeed. You have to put your team in the best possible situation to succeed. The plays called where not to the Gobblers strengths, they had a low percentage of succeeding.

Cowboy_Up
12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I am callingout Coach Reeve.

Through the weeks of this season I've read this type of thing over and over. We lost because of this...or that...turnovers, refs, bad play calling...
I once learned a valuable lesson from a hall of fame coach. We had just lost a game, a game similar to the game Cuero lost last night. Played against a higher ranked opponent in a championship type of game...only to get so close but end up short. As my teammates and I sat around going over the game and the what ifs, our coach reminded us that there were some damn good athletes on the other side and they had a lot to do with our failures.
Cuero wasn't playing against air last night, they were playing against a team with more studs than any other in 3A and the Gobblers almost got it done. But they didn't beat themselves and to come here and act like that is traitorous...IMO.

Your Gobblers played with all they had and your coaches did all they could. Every decision a coach makes in a game is countered by the guy on the other side who is doing the same. You don't win every battle no matter how good you are when you get to this level. Gilmer won the game, Cuero didn't give it to them.

headhunter
12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
we're gunna have to agree to semi-agree and disagree here... I aint beating this subject up, Reeve's gunna be the coach against next year and I hope he's learned from past mistakes... [/B][/QUOTE]

I wish he had learned from the previous years and yes I know he is going to be the coach, and replacing Tyler Arndt is going to be the toughest task. He made things look so easy. Two kids coming up, Blake Reeve and Clint Davis at the QB position, going to have to work really hard and get those kids ready for the future. Lots of talent coming back and we should be playing next year for a chance to go to state again.

headhunter
12-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm not graspin, we were good enough to win 80+ games over 7 years. All we have done is met expectations.

headhunter
12-06-2009, 04:32 PM
The bottom line is you have to get it done and we didn't --- I'm out on that note!

maroogreen
12-06-2009, 04:36 PM

I was going to stay out of this, but seriously...
Why stop there? Why not back up the analysis? What would 2004 have been like if Latrael Cooper would have been healthy instead of being on crutches after almost having his leg amputated earlier that year after tearing 3 out of 4 knee ligaments? Where would we be in 2009 if Cole Thomas was still with us? Events occur, large and small, that we cannot change. Coaches call in the best play they can at any given moment. I've never met a coach that calls in a play--especially in the last seconds--to try to lose a game.

Is every play call good? No. Is every play executed well? No. I thought Case Keenum was the slowest state-game QB I had ever seen, yet he singlehandedly pulled it off in the last seconds of that state game for Wylie. And recent history has proved just how wrong I was about him overall.

Cuero's tradition of excellence has spoiled fans. And you know what I mean. While other teams would be thrilled with a district championship, we don't think it's anything special, to the extent that is doesn't even go up on the school's marquee. You have to have at least a regional championship to make the honor board. Didn't get out of the region? Those coaches will be replaced... Tradition is wonderful, and I'm proud to live here. But it doesn't negate the multitude of factors that come into play during every game. And now a tough, hard-fought game ends with this garbage.

The bottom line is that coaches put their careers in the hands of teenage boys weekly. Teenage boys who sometimes make bad choices and stay out all night or get MIPs or blow off practice. Due to injuries and life in general, coaches don't know who their available players will be in the next quarter, much less the next week. And unless you've made a career out of teaching and/or coaching minors while 10000+ spectators judge your every decision from the safety of their seats, you really don't have a leg to stand on and you really can't compare it to your job.

Like Gobbla said, if you think you could have done it better, get an application.

1stnurseryman
12-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Headhunter are you not the ex player benched for MIP? Just wondering what must be your real dog in this hunt? Just calling it like i see it, believe that is alsays one of your quates!!!!!!

Compete/punish
12-06-2009, 05:11 PM
as Mack Brown said "Ignorance comes easy when you haven't watched opponent film". Let me ask you a question, what def front was Gilmer in last night, what was their favorite covergae in the red zone, what was their blitz percentage in goal line....you have no clue. So to sit here and say that there wrong calls made just shows ignorance. Whether they were the right calls or not, you have no idea! Oh well that's not your job....that's right its not so what credibility do you have? "Well its all about state championships around here"...I'm sure that Permian, SLC, La Marque, Judson, etc are saying the same thing, yet none of them played this weekend. Its so hard to win a state championship or hell to even play in December. I think its great that people have high expectations, that's what makes Cuero what it is. But I'm tired of people who know it all always gripping about how they could have done it better. "Well this is a message board and I have the right to say what I want"....that is true you do, so do I. Its amazing how people get spoiled with success. It wasn't too long ago when people would have been happy with a district championship.

Green Bling
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Really couldn't make myself read every word of the nay saying about our Gobbler coaching staff. The plain and simple truth is that there are something over 180 3A football teams in the state of Texas and all but 4 D1 teams stayed home last night. Cuero wasn't one of those at home. Those boys didn't get there by themselves. Also need to keep in mind that some of the Gobblers read the postings here. Having said that, I'm taking myself out of this thread.

hookandladder
12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
The thing is I am not saying it after the fact, me as well as others are saying during the game let Jackson take a toss to the corner, or let Arndt throw or run on a rollout. You know why we say that? Because percentage wise that give you the best way to succeed. You have to put your team in the best possible situation to succeed. The plays called where not to the Gobblers strengths, they had a low percentage of succeeding.

Every high school team in Texas has these guy's in the stand's questioning every call, you my friend our what we call an ArmChair Coach. As stated earlier until you get your degree and become a real coach, you are what you are. ArmChair Coach that I beleive no real coach would listen to. Good Luck.

greenpride
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Hey buffy or whatever your code name is..........shut up, move on down the line and try not to get fired from trash collection job on Monday.......the only loser from last night is YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

IHStangFan
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
it's okay, wins don't have to be blowouts... you're spoiled

:p LOL...no kidding right!?

IHStangFan
12-06-2009, 05:43 PM
wasnt trying to insult now then since yall played yalls best and we didnt and still won hahahah where were you w/ your OH so entertaining and intellectual trash talk BEFORE the game??!! Weren't too sure about this one were you?!?! Sound like a fan that didn't have much faith in their team until AFTER it was decided. :clap:

YTBulldogs
12-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Great game like I thought. Both schools played hard and congrats to both fine schools.

An unbiased observer of this classic.

Cuero has a team, Gilmer has a QB. To beat Gilmer, stop the QB. Dude can work magic.

Key plays I seen:

1.) Cuero not able to sack Gilmer QB, who then makes big plays on third downs to keep drives alive with his magic movement.

2.) The early on-sides recovered by Gilmer.

3.) Cuero using all their TO's.

4.) Arndt under throwing a wide open receiver down Cuero sideline that got them down around the 10 with seconds remaining. Lead him a tad, he walk's into endzone untouched. You win.

5.) Cuero's final few play selection.

Once again, thanks for entertaining a fan Cuero/Gilmer.

Also, I know for a fact those officials were not from South of I10. Must agree, they were not very good mechanic wise.

TexMike
12-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Game was officiated by Houston chapter

pirate4state
12-06-2009, 06:15 PM
It sounds like I missed a really good game, but I also witnessed a good game of my own.

For my Cuero friends, I share your pain in that our seasons are over, but am confident that we also share in the pride we have for our boys & coaches!

Headhunter - you really should go speak directly to Coach Reeves and his assistants. You may have valid points, but they need to be made directly to the individuals you have beef with, not only on this message board. You may also want to re-read rule #3 as you seem to have a personal vendetta to air. I understand about being frustrated and wanting to hash it out, and the mods have seemed to give you a little leeway. My advice would be to quit while you are ahead. ;)

Buckeyes --- I'll be seeing you next week! :) YEAR OF THE STUMP CONTINUES! :clap:

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Does your job depend upon the performance of 15-18 year old boys/young men?

lostaussie
i just read every word of this...............and i am stunned........wow

YTBulldogs

call up coach Reeve, tell him what you think... tell him what you would have done in all of those situations, maybe he'll listen...

How about a dump pass in the flats to Trent, on 2nd and goal? Out in open, one on one, Gilmer had heck trying to stop him.

forum_guy
12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I think headhunter made some very valid points. I was at the game and thought the late game playcalling was questionable. Why would u run a trick play on 4th down. I know exactly what you are talking about headhunter. Let arndt use his talent to his advantage and give him the option to run or pass outside the pocket or atleast go off tackle with #22 instead of right up the middle. Either way you look at it, I know the players and coaches as well as the fans are still devastated with being that close.

N4SIR
12-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Great game like I thought. Both schools played hard and congrats to both fine schools.

Cuero has a team, Gilmer has a QB. To beat Gilmer, stop the QB. Dude can work magic.

Key plays I seen:

1.) Cuero not able to sack Gilmer QB, who then makes big plays on third downs to keep drives alive with his magic movement.

2.) The early on-sides recovered by Gilmer.

3.) Cuero using all their TO's.

4.) Arndt under throwing a wide open receiver down Cuero sideline that got them down around the 10 with seconds remaining. Lead him a tad, he walk's into endzone untouched. You win.

5.) Cuero's final few play selection.

Once again, thanks for entertaining a fan Cuero/Gilmer.

Also, I know for a fact those officials were not from South of I10. Must agree, they were not very good mechanic wise.

N4SIR
12-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs

How many Gilmer games have you been to this year? If you think all Gilmer has is the QB, you are dead wrong. Gilmer has a "team" as well and I would bet Godfrey would be the first to tell you that he wouldn't be the player he is without his supporting cast on both sides of the ball. We have great kids at all positions, Godfrey just happens to get the most press and being the QB is in the spotlight most of the time, and deservedly so. The best "team" won last night.

Refs did a good job last night and had no impact on the outcome of the game. The way it should be

gobblergreen
12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 1stnurseryman
Headhunter are you not the ex player benched for MIP? Just wondering what must be your real dog in this hunt? Just calling it like i see it, believe that is alsays one of your quates!!!!!!

I now realize why my post count is so low, you post an opinion and people start getting personal, the above post was totally uncalled for :mad:

alaskacat
12-06-2009, 07:23 PM
I have read this whole thing and I am just stunned. I could only listen on the radio and do play by play and it seemed a super game..

I come from Alaska every year to watch the playoffs, and not just Celina, but all of them from 5A to 1A whichever seems to be the game of the week.. This was my choice this week, but didn't want to travel in what could be bad weather for several hundred miles.

Then I have coached kids. At best they are inconsistent, and coaches sometimes have to be mommy daddy coach and 50% politician, Weather calls are right or wrong they still have to be executed perfectly to work....

The coach catches the wrath or the praise by the community one way or the other.

I was a jockey and a pro athlete all my life, so sports has been my life

Sometimes the best horse dont win a race because the pace was wrong, or traffic problems, or 100 other reasons...but there will only be one winner. A horse can have a bad trip because of post position, poor choice by the jockey etc etc...do you blame a successful trainer that had gotten them this far, to at least get a pull at the brass ring? No you don't, you just tighten your belt another notch, and get over it and give them hell next time.

On that, my best to Gilmer next week, and to Cuero...hey keep your chin up, you gave it a hell of a shot.

I will make next week to SMU one way or the other.. to watch Wylie put a spanking on Gilmer:)

Ii do remember a game in Daingerfield afew years ago just as painful as this...but I wont go there either:)

headhunter
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow, I post my opinion and because it is not what you all like, I get slammed for posting my thoughts.

Well I stirred the pot!!!

Let me first state that I do not think 1stNursuryman knows who I am. And to all others: I do not hate Coach Reeve, actually just the opposite, I actually think he is a good guy and tries his hardest to win. I think he is probably just as miserable as us today. I actually thought he was the right man for the job in 2003. When the list of finalists came out I picked Coach Reeve. The school board actually picked coach Bludau and I was very upset. Coach Reeve was more proven and had succeeded more than anyone on the list of eight. So please do not think I do not appreciate the man for what he does for a living.

The reason for my two posts where 1) to state the facts of what happen at the game and 2) to voice MY OPINION about why we did not score at the end.

I may be mistaken but that is why we get on these message boards --- To talk football!!! I don't get on here to ask about the weather or to find out when the games are being played, that what the newspapers are for.

Pirate4State you are correct, I did let my emotions play a little part in my posts, however I am stating facts and am not saying Coach Reeve is a terrible guy, I am pointing out FACTS that we have failed to win a State Title and I feel, along with many others, we have had the potential to win one. I actually praised Coach Reeve for the defensive gameplan and I also said the offensive gameplan was called very well, I pointed out that I did not agree with the final three plays because the FACT is they did not put us in the best chance to score, We went away from what we were doing best, same in 04.

And maroongreen, I do not think you really know who I am either, you make a point about if we had Lateral? What are you getting at? We did not have him, I have no idea why you throw that out there.

No, my job does not consists of working with 14-18 year old kids, I am an analysts. I analyze things, for example - football - I post my opinion and I usually back it up with facts. I like, Kirk Herbstreat and Lee Corso give my opinion everyweek about different games, they are not coaches either, you may not agree with them, but they normally make valid points.

I think their is probably more people that feel the way i feel but just chose not to say anything.

Pirate4State if I broke any rule then I apologize, but I do not think I bashed anyone, I just pointed out facts and that is what Rule 3 says.

alaskacat
12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Sounded like you trounced on Cuero coach pretty good to me...but then that is just my opinon which means nothing.

Pawdaddy
12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I just got finished reading this entire thread and it really wasn't much fun. Pretty depressing really. Some of us are taking this way too seriously. It should be fun, even exciting and uplifting, instead of this.

Let me give you a little perspective. I miss very few Buckeye games. I did not make it to Huntsville because my family is far more important than anything else other than my relationship with Jesus Christ. We had my mother's funeral on Friday afternoon and I NEEDED family, not football.

Trying to catch up a little today and find some routine again and I should have left this one alone. It is a game guys and gals. If you can't enjoy it, leave it to the ones who can.

maroogreen
12-06-2009, 08:15 PM
My point, HH, was that the analysis of a play, a quarter, a game, or even a season, changes with every little event that occurs before it. Think of it as the butterfly effect on football. You, as well as the rest of us, don't know what was factored into the coaches' decisions. What play would or would not have worked depends on a multitude of events, most of which are outside of our control. You rehashed a series from 2004. My point is that that series, in addition to all that came before it, are impacted by prior events. The ones I mentioned were public. Unless you are coaching, you aren't necessarily privy to all of the other factors.

I know who you are, and I'm going to chalk this up to youth and emotions. Both teams played an outstanding game. Let's leave it at that for now.

Ranger Mom
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I also just now read this entire thread and saw what I considered coach bashing and personal attacks.

Clean it up or I will close it down!!!

PhiI C
12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Congratulations to Gilmer for a great win and to Cuero for an outstanding season. It is great to be playing in December.

Green Bling
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Know I said I was outta here, but saw this on Smoaky. Hope it's legal to repost it here. This was posted by "An Old Buckeye." Thanks, man! Lots of mutual respect as it should be between true fans of Texas HS Football.

Quote:
know it's late for me getting on here today. It's been a busy day, and I just "had" to get in bed when I got home last night. I was exhausted,, that game wore me out. LOL

First, if there are any Cuero fans still on here reading these posts, I just want to say you folks don't only have a storied program, school, and team. You also have a lot of heart, and soul in your town and the kids and the school. When I looked at your team on the field,, I thought some of the same things I have felt about The Buckeyes ,,, "they don't look all that impressive." I've said that about our own team all year long. But then the ball was kicked,,,,,,,,,,, and after 48 minutes, I had a different opinion, just like I do about our Buckeyes. What an awesome game. All I will say now is that I salute you. You earned a full 48 minutes worth, and a ton's worth of respect from this Old Buckeye fan. I don't know how you get that many kids on the field, and make practically no mistakes for 48 minutes.

The Buckeyes were a bit more mistake prone tonight. Moreso than normal. But oh my good gosh,, I've never been so proud of a team. They never quit,, never gave up on themselves, and kept coming, and just absolutely would not be denied.

The key to the game for me was the stops, and the punts. My friend and I were talking about it on the way home, and I said, I was shocked, that we could give up three turnovers, Cuero could make so few mistakes, and not be penalized more than two or three times,, and we still win. The difference came down to the fact we only punted once,, and they punted what,,, three or four times. The stops we had on them made the difference and more than made up for our own turnovers. The Blackflag defense, stepped up when they had to (one Cuero TD in second half, and no gain in four tries from the five),,, and Stump just "willed" himself, and the team to victory. He would not let us lose,,, but of course we know he didn't do it all by himself. I saw no quit, in any Buckeye on the field. It may be an over used cliche',,, but the Gilmer Buckeyes just simply "found a way to win." When it wasn't there,,, and it wasn't obvious,,, they searched deep in their hearts,,, and found the way. It was heart, and it was effort, and a lot of kids doing a lot of things, they started preparing for back in 7th grade.

We've put ourselves into position to win it all. We've got 48 "more" minutes of football, and just as we've taken all this one game at a time,,, we have to take each moment of those 48 minutes,,, one at a time. We do what Buckeyes do,, and if we keep that up, I believe we will be the best of the best next Saturday night at SMU.

I don't know what else to say,, it's already been said anyway. Great job coaches, team, and fans. Our Army of Buckeyes were fantastic last night. There was totally "zero" dwarfing by the Cuero fans. We were just as loud and proud,, and when I saw Stump throw the game ball to the fans, I got a huge lump in my throat. Don't think those kids don't appreciate our support. We've got one more game too,,, Army. Let's go to Dallas, and in the words of the great philosopher 'Larry the Cable Guy',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, git 'er done. .

ImaNut
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Congratulations to Cuero on a great season, and a well-played, hard fought game.

This was one of the few games that, had Gilmer lost, I would still have the same things to say after the game. Your team was all that we had heard they would be: classy, sportsmanlike, talented athletes with a never-say-die attitude. Their ability to convert on 4th downs was (repeatedly) a mind-numbing blow to our psyches in the stands, but fortunately not to our boys on the field. The same appeared to hold true for your boys. Every time it seemed the momentum was shifting our way, the Gobblers would make a big play. Both teams played with everything they had and then some, and left it all on the field.

Best of luck in the future to you (at least, until we meet again!).

XtremeCouture
12-06-2009, 09:12 PM
i've seen this a few times. people say cuero had 4 tries from the 5 yard line. i was listening on the radio so i really don't know but what i heard was it was first and goal at the ten and then 2nd and goal from the 6 and then there were two tries from the 5. is this wrong?

THSFfan70
12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok I usually lurk and just read the forum but I had to register for this.

I have never more unfair criticism in my life for a coach. HH I am sorry but you are WAY off base here. You can go back to any game and pick a play or two(even series) and say should have ran this or that. Its so easy for people to do. I thought that Coach Reeve called a great game, was able to balance the offense very well(which is very hard to do with weapons like Cuero has) and overall did a good job. Was there a few mistakes? Sure probably and I bet that Travis will admit this. But the fact is there are mistakes from the best coaches to ever coach this game every time they step on the field.

What about the defense? How can you blame all of this on the offensive play calling? Its laughable it really is. You can not win a big games without a defense that can not make a stop when they have to. Plain and simple. Last year Cuero's defense was the weakest it has been in a long long time. It was outmatched and it showed. They honestly had no chance. Last night Cuero's defense was outmatched. If they make a stop the game is over. Well thats my rant for now Im sure i will post more later.

THSFfan70
12-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Just to add one more thing this was probably the best HS game I have ever seen. Both teams played amazing football and this thread really is a shame. I am very glad I was able to see this football game.

lostaussie
12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
i've seen this a few times. people say cuero had 4 tries from the 5 yard line. i was listening on the radio so i really don't know but what i heard was it was first and goal at the ten and then 2nd and goal from the 6 and then there were two tries from the 5. is this wrong? i think you are correct..............but its kinda a blur.

Maroon87
12-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
i've seen this a few times. people say cuero had 4 tries from the 5 yard line. i was listening on the radio so i really don't know but what i heard was it was first and goal at the ten and then 2nd and goal from the 6 and then there were two tries from the 5. is this wrong?

1st down...Jackson 5yd gain to the 5.
2nd down...run for little/no gain.
3rd down...inc. pass in end zone.
4th down...inc. pass in end zone.

12thMan
12-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Wow, what a game!! Gilmer's defense made just one more stop than Cuero's D.

There were a lot of people saying that Gilmer would crush Cuero. That didn't happen. This Gobbler team earned a lot of respect tonight from Gilmer.

Gilmer is a great team and they kept fighting and believing. Good luck next week.

For all the Gobblers comming back next year, continue where you left off this year. You can't put into words the lessons learned from the Seniors on the Gobbler team. You learned how to never give up, to believe in each other, play as a team, and most of all, unity. Continue on next year and take what you learned this year with you!!

Tyler, Logan, Austin, Banda, Nick, Egg, and the rest of the Seniors (sorry, I know I missed a lot of other Seniors) Thanks for the memories. I pray that no other team has to go through what this group of kids went through this year. CP 22, I'm sure, is very proud of what you accomplished this year.

Go Mean

j_dog
12-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
About Gilmer: Uncharacteristically, we had 3 turnovers. Even more so, 3 in one half. ...
My thoughts, why couldn't Gilmer have been so generous to Jasper! :D

Congratulations on the win! :) :clap:

gobblerfan34
12-07-2009, 12:28 AM
as a dad of one of the boys on the team I am very proud of our football team and also very proud of our coaching staff, our players are well prepared for each and every game, the effort that is put in by the players and the coaching staff shows by the terrific results that occur each time we are on the field, we all want to win state as does every team, as a dad i appreciate the effort that the coaches and players put forth and thank them for all the hard work that goes into each and every season, i have attended quite a few practices this year and have seen first hand all the prepartion and excellent coaching that goes into each and every practice and it really is true you practice as you play, the coaching staff is excellent and only hope that they stay together for years to come, because i have another son that will be playing in the next few years

i think we all get caught up in the emotion of the game at times, and it is really easy to monday morning quarterback, to say what should have been done after the dust has settled and we know what the outcome is, it is not as easy when the pressure is on and you have to make the decision without the benefit of hindsight,
to anyone who thinks we don't have good coaches come out to practice and see first hand and if you know anything about football you will see what good coaching and in my opinion great coaching is all about

we are spoiled in cuero, we take regular season wins and district titles for granted, some teams struggle to win games, we struggle to win state, thank you coaches for spoiling us

thank you players and coaches for a great season

GO MEAN GREEN

WILDGOBBLERCAT
12-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Ok, sorry I’m going to repeat a lot of the points made on this thread. My first thought was to let this go and hope the thread went away, but I can’t help myself.

First off, congratulations on the huge win Gilmer. You have a team, coaching staff and program to be very proud of (as if you need to be told that). Your boys made some key plays to pull it out and no one should discount that. Hat’s off to you and best of luck in winning it all.

Oh the brilliant armchair coaches, every team has them. It’s truly comical that AFTER the called play fails, they can profoundly say “man, that was the wrong play to call, what the hell were the stupid coaches thinking?” I’ll go out on a limb here but I’m pretty sure whatever the calls our highly-successful coaches called were not done on a whim. These men practice the kids every day. They scout and watch hours of film on each opponent. I’m pretty sure going into any given ballgame they discuss many different scenarios and how to adjust or scheme for each situation. Basically they make the best call given the information at hand and hope it’s executed as planned. What else can they do? That’s right, nothing. To go back and recall the specific drive or play call over the years that made us “fail” in our quest for the trophy is laughable. How about all the drives, plays and effort that gets us this far every year? Yea, we’ll just go to the State Championship Coaches Store and get a coach that can get it done, LOL.

An interesting point was made about the LaGrange baseball team, and if they would be upset had they not won it all with 4 D1 players on the team. I’m pretty sure we have one D1 player on this year’s team (ok 2 with Trent). Gilmer had what 4? I don’t know but maybe the other Gobblers were coached “UP”, by let’s see………..our coaches?

I know a very small handful of locals who have an apparent “axe to grind” with our current staff. There’s usually a personal story behind the scenes that brings out these negative feelings/comments, and makes them disgruntled. Sure they have the right to free speech and what better place is there to sling mud than the safety of the home computer.

We do have some young quarterbacks coming up and yes the coaches will have to develop them between now and then. The good news is we KNOW our coaches will have our boys ready for another deep run into the playoffs next year too. That’s a given, and we are so fortunate to have this staff running the show, and setting the bar so high. State championships are hard to come by, and we’ll get a break one of these days because that’s just what it takes. For now, we’ll just have to be satisfied with 13-1 in a REBUILDING year, and oh yea 84-11 overall.

Thank you Coach Reeve and staff for giving us another great football team. The Cuero Gobblers of 2009 will not soon be forgotten. 99.99% of us are behind you all the way!