PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the Heisman

hawkfan
12-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I think Mccoy and Tebow both took themselves out of the running. I think it will be between Toby Gerhart and Mark Ingram. Any thoughts?

carter08
12-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Ingram ran for 3 TD's against the #1 team in the country.

I guess I finally have to resign myself to the fact that there won't be a Heisman trophy coming to Scott Street this year, so I'm gonna go with Ingram.

DaHop72
12-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
I think Mccoy and Tebow both took themselves out of the running. I think it will be between Toby Gerhart and Mark Ingram. Any thoughts? I think that Keith7 clinched the Heisman tonight with his performance on the downlow. :devil: :devil:

STANG RED
12-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Ingram became a slam dunk today. And as bad as I hate to say it, will show it again against Texas.

NastySlot
12-05-2009, 11:56 PM
The Heisman voting is a joke...............the "Best Football Player" in college football is CJ Spiller of Clemson.........too bad the only players being considered are the "Made for TV" players...

Keith7
12-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Ingram easily!

DDBooger
12-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Ingram

hawkfan
12-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
The Heisman voting is a joke...............the "Best Football Player" in college football is CJ Spiller of Clemson.........too bad the only players being considered are the "Made for TV" players...

The way a lot of the sports anchors were talking Gerhart is getting a lot of consideration and he was hardly on TV at all.

blowfish
12-06-2009, 12:02 AM

:clap: :iagree: :2thumbsup

tigerfan09
12-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Hunter Lawrence

Tx Challenge
12-06-2009, 12:10 AM
You know folks, It goes to Colt. Anyone that calls me a homer is a fool. I am anything but a UT fan. Flame away......

IHStangFan
12-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I think that Keith7 clinched the Heisman tonight with his performance on the downlow. :devil: :devil: No...that would be an Academy Award for "Best played out drama" :D

DaHop72
12-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
No...that would be an Academy Award for "Best played out drama" :D http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6639/lafxv3.gifhttp://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6639/lafxv3.gif

Hornet Mom 2
12-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Ingram had (and I know someone will correct me if I am wrong) less than 50 yards last week against Auburn...you can't base the Heisman on today's game. Yes, he had a helluva game today against the Gators, but the Heisman should be based on season performance, not the last game before the award is given. Colt should win the Heisman. He has QB'd the Longhorns to the National Championship game this season. Tonights lackluster win should not take him out of contention...just like 'Bama's blow-out of Florida should not vault Ingram to the Heisman.

WHS02
12-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Hornet Mom 2
Ingram had (and I know someone will correct me if I am wrong) less than 50 yards last week agains Auburn...you can't base the Heisman on today's game. Yes, he had a helluva game today against the Gators, but the Heisman should be based on season performance, not the last game before the award is given. Colt should win the Heisman. He has QB'd the Longhorns to the National Championship game this season. Tonights lackluster win should not take him out of contention...just like 'Bama's blow-out of Florida should not vault Ingram to the Heisman.

ha ha ha
colt had a bad game against OU also.so?????

Hornet Mom 2
12-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by WHS02
ha ha ha
colt had a bad game against OU also.so?????

And Ingram had bad games (that's plural, games) against FIU, Arkansas and Auburn...so??

WHS02
12-06-2009, 12:34 AM
And Ingram had bad games (that's plural, games) against FIU, Arkansas and Auburn...so??

Just dont get your dang panties in a twist when mccoy goes allllllllll the wwwwwaaaaayy to new york to lose the heisman again!!

PhiI C
12-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Amazing how the media now is promoting Ingram with his good game today when last week they had just about had him written off. The Heisman doesn't mean too much now anyway which is a shame. And that goes even if Colt wins.

Ranger Mom
12-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Just dont get your dang panties in a twist when mccoy goes allllllllll the wwwwwaaaaayy to new york to lose the heisman again!!

You shouldnt tell a mom not to get her panties in a twist...that just isn't polite!!!

IHStangFan
12-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Amazing how the media now is promoting Ingram with his good game today when last week they had just about had him written off. The Heisman doesn't mean too much now anyway which is a shame. And that goes even if Colt wins. Phil....I hear you....the media drives me nuts!! They need a hero...and when they can't find a clearcut hero...they MAKE one. They'll take ONE story...and beat it to DEATH, instead of covering across the board. Once they get their teeth into a "story"....they lose all focus on anything else BUT that story. Look at their love affair w/ USC. 4 losses this season....3 of which are to teams that aren't even in the top 20....and THEY'RE still in the top 20....that must be some of that newfangled "abstract" math, because there is obviously NO logic that could possibly explain it otherwise. :nerd:

STANG RED
12-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Ingram had (and I know someone will correct me if I am wrong) less than 50 yards last week against Auburn...you can't base the Heisman on today's game. Yes, he had a helluva game today against the Gators, but the Heisman should be based on season performance, not the last game before the award is given. Colt should win the Heisman. He has QB'd the Longhorns to the National Championship game this season. Tonights lackluster win should not take him out of contention...just like 'Bama's blow-out of Florida should not vault Ingram to the Heisman.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesnt matter. Fact is, most of the voters have been waiting to see how today turned out before filling out their ballots. Only one contender had a great performance today. Fair or not, like it or not, Imgram won it today. McCoy probably had it wrapped up, with just a decent performance today. But it is what it is. Ingram has it in the bag.

bobcat4life
12-06-2009, 12:40 AM
great players play big in big games. Tebow & McCoy played poorly today. Ingram had 125 yards or so and 3 touchdowns, and Gerhart had 4 against USC. Ingram deserves it.

Hornet Mom 2
12-06-2009, 12:49 AM

Actually, even though I think he deserves it, I really don't WANT him to win it! The winner of the Heisman does not usually win their bowl game, and considering the Longhorns will be in Pasadena for the National Championship, that is way more important than Colt getting the award! So yea, GOOOOO Ingram, win that Heisman, and lose the NC game!

Just since 2000, the Heisman winners bowl W/L record is 2 and 7.

2008 Sam Bradford Okla. Lost BCS Champ.
2007 Tim Tebow Florida Lost Cap. One Bowl
2006 Troy Smith Ohio St. Lost BCS Champ.
2005 Reggie Bush USC Lost BCS Champ.
2004 Matt Leinart USC Won Orange Bowl
2003 Jason White Okla. Lost Sugar Bowl
2002 Carson Palmer USC Won Rose Bowl
2001 Eric Crouch Neb. Lost Rose Bowl
2000 Chris Weinke Fla. St. Lost Orange Bowl

big daddy russ
12-07-2009, 01:47 AM
I'd agree with this to an extent. I think we get too much of a Heisman hangover from previous years and too much "vote for the best player on the best team."

If I had three to invite to New York, it'd look nothing like the DAC's actual guest list:
(in order)
1. Case Keenum
2. Ndamukong Suh
3. CJ Spiller

FIU was a blowout. He was benched after only ten carries, but still had over 100 total yards and a TD.

Ark and Auburn were bad games.

Colt had as many "bad" performances as Ingram.

SintonFan
12-07-2009, 02:44 AM
I'd go with the Quarterback who has the most wins in the history of div. 1 collegiate football.;)

coach
12-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
You shouldnt tell a mom not to get her panties in a twist...that just isn't polite!!!

yea bc we dont know if she is even wearing any

SintonFan
12-07-2009, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by coach
yea bc we dont know if she is even wearing any

and that is "polite"?:eek:

Shame on you!:mad:

formercougar18
12-07-2009, 04:01 AM
it should be Spiller or Gerhart. But because their on mediocre teams they wont win it. Mccoy had a slow start and a bad game on national television last night, if he played like he did against ATM all year then he would be a shoe in. Ingram showed up to play when it mattered most, he will probably win it.

eagleqb_14
12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by tigerfan09
Hunter Lawrence :iagree: lol

eagleqb_14
12-07-2009, 08:30 AM
im pretty sure that if you asked Colt if he wanted the heisman or the NC he would say the NC, but dont get me wrong he would love to have the heisman, but he is more focused on getting the glass football!

Looking4number8
12-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by tigerfan09
Hunter Lawrence :clap: :clap:

statewide
12-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Anyone but McCoy is fine with me.

Phil C
12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
"Unfortunately the Heisman is now given to the MVP of the last game played rather than the one that played the best over the whole season" said the Sinton GodFather while on his way to the snack bar for a cup of coffee.

headhunter
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Nominee 1 – Mark Ingram
Mark Ingram has had a great year in a very tough defensive conference:
249 carries for 1,542 lards Avg-6.2 with 15 TD
Ingram’s biggest helper has been the QB Greg McElroy.
192 for 314 2,450 yards 61% 17TD 4INT
McElroy has been the guy that has kept drives alive by making throws on 3rd down to keep drives alive. He has been the one consistent player all year for Bama. Ingram will get the praise now but this kid is going to be good in years to come. Ingram has played in a tougher conference but the argument he has had better players around him which has helped him succeed. Ingram probably has better backs than Gerhart around him and that is why he only gets 46% of the team carries. With that he has made 54% of the team yards.

How well did he perform in Big Games?
W34-24 over No. 7 Virginia Tech (26 for 150 yds 1TD)
W22-3 over No. 20 Mississippi (28 for 172 yds with 1TD)
W24-15 over No. 9 LSU (22 for 144 yds)
W32-13 over No. 1 Florida (28 for 113 yds 3TD’s)

Nominee 2 – Colt McCoy
Passing: 330 for 468 3,512 yards Comp%-70.5 27TD 12INT (Rating 147.5)
Rushing: 128 for 348 with 3TD’s
Colt McCoy has done everything asked of him. He has led his team to a 12-0 record and has the opportunity to win it all. McCoy has had to use his legs to win games as well as throw the ball. The most impressive thing is unlike McElroy at Alabama, McCoy does not have a big back for defenses to really key on, they are keying on McCoy. McCoy may not have had the toughest schedule, but there were some games where he had to step up, take control, and lead his team to a win. He has succeeded at what many think is the most important position and most scrutinized position on the football field.

How well did he perform in Big Games?
W16-13 over No. 20 Oklahoma (21-39 with 127 yds 1TD 1 INT) (14 for 33 yds rushing)
W41-14 over No. 14 Oklahoma State (16-21 171 yds 1TD) (11 for 34yds rushing)
W49-39 over Texas A&M (24-40 304 yds 4TD) (18 or 175 yds 1TD rushing)
W13-12 over No.22 Nebraska (20-36 184 yds 3INT)

Nominee 3 – Toby Gerhart
Toby Gerhart has the biggest argument to make towards winning the Heisman. He has been on a team who many will say are overachieving. He has been a huge reason for the Stanford Cardinals success. Gerhart does get 62% of the team carries but has kept a good ratio as he has ate up 64% of the total Stanford Cardinal Russhing yards.
311 carries for 1,736 yards Avg – 5.6 with 26TD
10 receptions for 149 yards Avg – 14.9

How well did he perform in Big games?
W34-14 over No. 24 Washington (27 for 200 yds with 1 TD)
W51-42 over No. 8 Oregon (38 for 223yds with 2TD’s)
W55-21 over No. 9 USC (29 for 178 yds with 3TD’s)
L34-28 to No. 25 California (20 for 136 yds with 4TD’s)

My vote goes to Toby Gerhart, the kid has been giving the opportunity to succeed and has done just that. He has surpassed expectations from many and has led his team to 3 huge wins. He has lesser talent aroud him and has played a fairly tough schedule. Note that the only reason Ingram doesn't get my vote is becasue I feel McElroy is the biggest reason for Ingrams success.

It would not hurt my feeling whoever wins this award because all are well deserving. If I had to rank them I would vote; 1) Gerhart 2) McCoy 3) Ingram

Rocket
12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

He's not being mean, you are just being a sissy.

StangEm
12-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Has to be Ingram. Colt didn't really show much the past few weeks and Timmy....don't go there.

Deuce
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by StangEm
Has to be Ingram. Colt didn't really show much the past few weeks and Timmy....don't go there.

I know he was not great against Nebraska but give me a break. He was 24-40 for 304 yards and 4 TD's against A&M and 175 yds rushing with a TD. Don't let the UT defense blind you as to what he did in that game.

Ranger Mom
12-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
"Unfortunately the Heisman is now given to the MVP of the last game played rather than the one that played the best over the whole season" said the Sinton GodFather while on his way to the snack bar for a cup of coffee.

I agree! It's nothing but a joke now!!

GreenMonster
12-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I think CJ Spiller has a strong case for the Heisman. Agree that Tebow and McCoy are probably out of the running now. It's down to Spiller and Ingram.

Black_Magic
12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Colt wins it .. You dont base an award like this on ONE game. More wins than ANY starting QB in NCAA history to boot. what was Ingram doing 3 seasons ago? Colt should get it or Tebo should get it.

Old Tiger
12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Can't go wrong with CJ Spillar or White Thunder.

hawkfan
12-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Deuce
I know he was not great against Nebraska but give me a break. He was 24-40 for 304 yards and 4 TD's against A&M and 175 yds rushing with a TD. Don't let the UT defense blind you as to what he did in that game.

So what you are saying is that a good game against a subpar defense should carry more weight than a bad game against a really good defense?

Deuce
12-07-2009, 01:26 PM
So what you are saying is that a good game against a subpar defense should carry more weight than a bad game against a really good defense?

Not saying that at all. His statement was that Colt had really not done much of anything the last few weeks and that is not the case. Say all you want about how bad A&M is and i agree, but no matter how bad they are every year that is a rivalry game and always tuff.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2009, 01:31 PM
I think the winner will be decided by who gets the most 2nd place votes...I think the first place votes will be split by regions..so who ever ends up on more 2nd place ballots compared to 3rd or lower place will end up winning it

hawkfan
12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Not saying that at all. His statement was that Colt had really not done much of anything the last few weeks and that is not the case. Say all you want about how bad A&M is and i agree, but no matter how bad they are every year that is a rivalry game and always tuff.

I agree. But to be truly deserving of the Heisman, McCoy should have followed up the A&M game by totally tearing apart Nebraska' D. That is why I don't think he should win it. I also think Ingram's 30 yds aginst Auburn should exclude him. Gerhat had solid games against all the ranked temas they played. That is Why I think he should win.

Deuce
12-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree. But to be truly deserving of the Heisman, McCoy should have followed up the A&M game by totally tearing apart Nebraska' D. That is why I don't think he should win it. I also think Ingram's 30 yds aginst Auburn should exclude him. Gerhat had solid games against all the ranked temas they played. That is Why I think he should win.

Look, I really don't know that Colt should win it either, and you do have to look at the entire year rather than just a couple of games. I can see arguments for all 3 u listed.

NastySlot
12-07-2009, 02:06 PM

are you kidding....thats like bragging about scoring on the jv during practice.

colt is a very good qb and is deserving.....the a&m game isn't a good one to use as a deciding factor in him winning?

the ou qb i think threw for 5 or 6 td's against the aggies and the cu qb took his team down field in the closing seconds for a come back win......i wouldn't give them a mention for the heisman.

colt is a winner and has done what he went to austin to do..........but spiller is a better football player...heck suh from nebraska went head to head with colt and was better at what he does...........Gerhart is getting a lot of love i have only seen highlights couldn't judge him.

my choice would be spiller ...the guy ran wild this weekend and was hurting.

Deuce
12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
No, I am not kidding you, thats why i said you cant look at just one game!!

pancho villa
12-07-2009, 02:29 PM
COLT!

NastySlot
12-07-2009, 02:38 PM
No, I am not kidding you, thats why i said you cant look at just one game!!

i respect your choice.....colt is deserving of the award if he wins i won't down play his success...but i truely believe the spiller kid from clemson is getting shafted...he is amazing.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
i respect your choice.....colt is deserving of the award if he wins i won't down play his success...but i truely believe the spiller kid from clemson is getting shafted...he is amazing.

I like Spiller but 1100 yards and 11 TDS on the ground are not IMO OMG wow stats

and yes I know he is a great KR..but again IMO his overall body of work this year does not warrant a Heisman

NastySlot
12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I like Spiller but 1100 yards and 11 TDS on the ground are not IMO OMG wow stats

and yes I know he is a great KR..but again IMO his overall body of work this year does not warrant a Heisman

thrown td's, scored on punt returns, ko returns and rushing for them......he played his rear off in his championship game and brought his team back.(ik they lost)....he scored in every game he played in....and was hurt at various times of the season.

i bet he could play defense if called upon..........he is a football player.

the heisman...was supposed to be given to best football player....imo he doesn't have to play for a championship team or just be an offensive player...........i think the heisman is an outdated award......it was i believe originally started and given out when players went both ways....making them true football players.

the other awards imo maxwell, obrien, walker and blienitkof (sp) even the ray guy mean more.........hey maybe we should start a post with who wins all these awards...........

.shipley hands down blienitkof.
mccoy the obrien
ingram the walker
maxwell give it to spiller
guy????????couldn't give a winner here.

* i maybe showing a little regional bias.

BDB
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

If I had three to invite to New York, it'd look nothing like the DAC's actual guest list:
(in order)
1. Case Keenum
2. Ndamukong Suh
3. CJ Spiller

If this list has Gerhardt instead of Spiller, I would agree 100% with this.

SintonPirateFan
12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
"Juice" Williams, no doubt. i mean.....er.....wait.... :D

big daddy russ
12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by BDB
If this list has Gerhardt instead of Spiller, I would agree 100% with this.
I wouldn't be upset at all if Gerhardt got the call.

Daddy D 11
12-07-2009, 03:25 PM
It goes against the norm but I would have to vote for Spiller as well. The guy is a football player. He has done everything this year and done it well. Scoring in every game and then scoring in every way is pretty darn impressive.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM

I agree with your points on Spiller, he has been under the radar and done a helluva job all year. But I would think as much love as you're giving him, what's your thoughts on Gerhardt? Don't think he returns kicks, but he is an absolute workhorse for Stanford. He even threw a TD pass vs Notre Dame, and I think (could be wrong) that the play was drawn because the QB Lucke was so ineffective with a hurt shoulder. Those are my top 2, and Ingram is third.

DDBooger
12-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Golden Taite if he had been on a better team. That kid was amazing. And now ND has lost him and Clausen. Dark years ahead for that program.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I still thnk Jordan Shipley should at least be mentioned

headhunter
12-07-2009, 05:20 PM
I think C.J. Spiller is an amazing athlete but I am just not sure he is the "Best" College football player. He only has four games where he ran for more than 100 yards. He is a very good player and is no doubt a top 5 RB in college football.

When I think of the Heisman, I think of a player who not obly is the best athlete, but is the following.
1) Where would his team be without him
2) How many game changing plays does he make a year
3) How consistent has he been all year

Clemson is 1-3 when he carries the ball 20 or more times.

Spiller is important to his team, but I still think Clemson whould have the same record with or without him. I would not have a problem if he got an invite to New York, I jsust don't see him winning it.

cshscougar08
12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I'd go with the Quarterback who has the most wins in the history of div. 1 collegiate football.;)

This is a season award not a career award.

cshscougar08
12-07-2009, 06:38 PM
I agree txbroadcaster, Shipley should be at least mentioned. He is the main reason that Colt is even close to consideration. Without Shipley the past two years, I don't know if you seen Colt in New York. Certainly not last year.

I gotta give it to Suh. No one else has dominated games like he has this season. He does it all, hardly ever, if at all, comes off the field and he makes a difference. No way would Nebraska's defense be anywhere close to what it is today without him. The guy is amazing. Here are my top picks in order.

1. Suh
2. Gerhart
3. Ingram
4. Spiller
5. Keenum

Bull Butter
12-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Suh

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Without Shipley the past two years, I don't know if you seen Colt in New York. Certainly not last year.

Shipley was not even the leading WR last year

forum_guy
12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
I dont have a problem with Mccoy getting the invite but no way in hell he should win it.

cshscougar08
12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Shipley was not even the leading WR last year

Really? My mistake then.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Really? My mistake then.

Ole Quan Crosby was

cshscougar08
12-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Ole Quan Crosby was

Eh close enough. 3 catches for 63 yards difference. Lol. Although Shipley did have more touchdowns.