PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting DirectTV - Any recommendations?

Keith7
12-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I have suddenlink right now and am paying 150 dollars per month for cable / internet that I'm really not very happy about.. I'm thinking about switching to Direct TV because not only will it save me 70 bucks per month it seems like the service is much better..

Does anyone have Direct TV? I've never had satellite, does service go out often if it's cloudy?

I would prefer verizon fios as that's what I had in college but they don't offer that where I am.

Gobbla2001
12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Direct TV is way better than suddenlink in my experiences... I've had it once and friends have it... not bad... I have DishNet now and like the DVR better for DishNet, but other than that Direct TV is a really good way to go... for sure not a Ford/Chevy argument with me... both worth it I think...

44INAROW
12-06-2009, 02:51 AM
we have Direct tv and are pleased with it. We currently have DSL with our home phone service and seriously thinking about dropping the home phone all together and getting DSL with Direct TV.

poisoned10
12-06-2009, 10:08 AM
We have it too and it has been great.

If you decide to go with DirecTV, PM me and I'll give you my account number and we can both save $100 on our bills!

44INAROW
12-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by poisoned10

If you decide to go with DirecTV, PM me and I'll give you my account number and we can both save $100 on our bills!

damn you beat me,, I thought about that a few mins ago lol

poisoned10
12-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
damn you beat me,, I thought about that a few mins ago lol

My landlord was asking me about DirecTV the other day and I gave him the number to call to get it but I didn't even think about the referral until a few days later. :doh:

Keith7
12-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10

I already signed up for it or I would, sorry!

poisoned10
12-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I already signed up for it or I would, sorry!

:doh:

big daddy russ
12-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Keith, if DirectTV doesn't work out for you, see if AT&T U-Verse is available in your area. Basically the same thing as FiOS, great DVR, excellent picture quality, and you can talk them down by bargaining against their competition.

We got the U400 package (we get all the channels except HD) with a mid-level internet package (6.0 mbps) for less than $100 because we made them and Comcast compete for us.

On that note, I love DirectTV. I had fewer problems with them during storms than I did with Comcast. And no, Comcast isn't a dish service.

BullsFan
12-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Have had DirecTV for around 10 years now, and I wouldn't ever consider anyone else. I have 3 receivers with HD DVR and my bill runs roughly $75 a month.

BwdLion73
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Let me answer the most important question. Weather releted problems can drive you crazy. It's hard to predict but I have had times when I have lost service due to a medium rain shower. If you have all your services tied to the sat. you lose everything, computer TV ect.

I had an experience where the local T.V. news bulletin said "And we have a confirmed Tornado near Lake Br".......................that can drive you crazy.

Leopards,class of 75
12-08-2009, 11:49 PM
We have had Direct T.V. for about 10 years. I really enjoy the HD and being able to record 2 programs at the same time. The weather is not that big of a problem unless it is raining really hard. I think you will like the service.

SintonFan
12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
U-Verse has worked for me. It's pretty cheap, too.

IHStangFan
12-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I heard if you order now, you get the new "Colt McCoy Network" free for 6 months!!! :clap: That's a MUST have!!

piratebg
12-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Direct TV is pretty good. Dish wasn't that bad either. I still would take either one over Charter. Now that is some very crappy service.

Old Tiger
12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I like and prefer Dish Network to DirectTV

Farmersfan
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I currently have Dishnetwork. I have watched Fox Sports Net as my favorite channel for some time now. I watched the Stars games every time they came on Fox Sports Net but recently these games have been blacked out. I went on the Stars web site and they say that Dish Network is in a dispute with the Dallas Stars or the NHL and won't carry the games. I will be switching back to Direct TV if this is the case. Anyone have any info on this situation?

Old Dog
12-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Had Dish for 4 years with the regional sports package........love it!

I'm sure direct is fine too, just never been around it.

Trashman
12-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I have had Direct and Dish and Dish is far better than Direct.:D

swarm
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Why is Dish better than Direct? What do they offer that Direct does not?

Buckeye1980
12-12-2009, 10:08 AM
I have had both and now have DIRECTV and NEVER go back to DISH

sinton66
12-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I have heard many people say they have never had any problem with Direct TV. In my experience, I had problems with their billing system charging me for things I did not order or watch. I had the service for three months and had to call them to correct the bill all three months. They would try to tell me SOMEBODY in my household ordered these things. I was the ONLY one in the household at the time. They said they had records of calls from the box over my phone to prove their case. I explained they were full of it because the only phone in my house was my cellphone, and that box NEVER asked to use it. I finally got tired of their BS and cancelled the service.

So, if you do go with Direct TV, my advise would be to INSIST on a security code for any Pay Per Views.

kaorder1999
12-13-2009, 05:55 PM
i have had both Dish Network and DirecTv and I like Dish Network better by far!

Keith7
12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
I have directv now and no complaints so far though it hasn't even been a week yet. They did give me a huge sattelite dish compared to my neighbors, it had to be put on a poll, it was too big to be mounted to my apartment. Picture quality is a lot better than cable though and I like the DVR a lot better once I figured it out. My girlfriend hates it though because she thinks there are too many channels, I'm trying to convince her that there is no such thing as too many channels.