PDA

View Full Version : My hat is off to Jasper!

Chris Hart
12-06-2003, 09:30 PM
First off, Congratulations on another fine season, you guys are truly a major force! Now on to the game. I figured going in, that Burnet would win, not bad but not real close. I thought yall would get outcoached again like last year. Both staffs coached a great game today. Jasper definately came into today's game with an gameplan that they had total confidence in. It worked well, especially in the first half in limiting Burnet to a 90 yd scoring drive on their first posession, but after that Burnet may have posessed the ball for 2 and a half minutes other than that opening drive in the first half. Jasper capitalized on Burnet's only turnover, to get their 6 points in the first half. The second half started with Jasper gaining momentum after stopping Burnet's opening drive, Jasper put together a scoring drive that put Burnet behind for the very first time this season. I didn't know how our boys would react. Burnet ended up tying the score at 14. The field position favored Burnet from there out and Burnet scored the winning TD with 17 ticks on the clock by capitalizing on a Jasper turnover.. What a game! Great job by the Jasper players and Coaches, I was truly impressed by the way yall believed in what you were doing, It's too bad someone had to lose today. We hope to meet yall again, and like the topic says, MY HAT IS OFF TO JASPER!!! :)

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

weatherag07
12-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Ditto! :)

Old Cardinal
12-06-2003, 09:38 PM
I think that this is indicative of great Texas 3A football. I predict that this outcome today will prove that Burnet is #1 and Jasper is #2. This was the State Championship game; only a week earlier than scheduled. Jasper and Burnet will be good solid programs for the foreseeable future.

pakrat
12-06-2003, 09:50 PM
From what I saw and from reading the program, I think Jasper is the team of the future. They started out with a 9th grade quarterback who played well until he got injured and had to leave the game. The program was confusing because they had several guys with duplicate numbers. Apparently this was JV moved up for the game. The standouts were soph and juniors for the Jasper Dogs. I was told they had to rework their whole offensive line this week. They may have had a freshman guard playing tonight.

poncho
12-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Wow!!!! that Jasper team is good. Speed at the skill positions, they gave Burnet their best test yet! I'm very impressed with those guys... Hats off to the Burnet Bulldogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man what a team. They took the best Jasper had to offer and still came out on top!!!!!! Go dawgs on to STATE!!!! :cool: :)

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: poncho ]</small>

20dawgz05
12-06-2003, 10:19 PM
WOW!...Jasper yall were AWSOME, you had me scared...this was a great game yall deserve to be #2 u are the only team that really gave us a run!!..good luck in the future

Leopards,class of 75
12-06-2003, 10:24 PM
I think this was a great match up today, what a ball game! Jasper really did a good job staying in there the whole game. Congradulations to Burnet. Old cardinal, I hope Burnet feels like this was the state championship game so Gainesville can slip by them. (lol) Good luck to both teams. Does anyone know where and when this game will be played?

bulldogmom2
12-06-2003, 10:43 PM
Now, the Jasper/Burnet game is what i call a REAL football game. I have never been so scared at a high school playoff game like that before. My heart was beating really really fast..CONGRATS TO BOTH TEAMS FOR MAKING IT THIS FAR!

Way to go Jasper, Yall are AWESOME, ur #2 in my book!

WAY TO GO BURNET#1 BABY!! Lets show gville who we really are now:D

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: bulldogmom2 ]</small>

JHS_c/o_06'
12-06-2003, 11:57 PM
I would like to say a few things.

1. Jasper Dawgs, its been an AWESOME season. I believed in you 110%, while more than half the school said we were going to get our butts kicked. I kept telling them, your gonna be suprised, cause i know something you dont know. I cant tell you...but its gonna be awesome. Burnet wont know what hit em'. And they said, whatever. And at the end of the game, one of my "non believer friends" came up to me shook my hand and said, you made a believer out of me. Great season dawgs, heres to a state championship next year.

2. Thank you people from Burnet for being wonderful winners. You truly are some of the greatest bunch of fans in Texas. And thanks to Mr. Hart for the wonderful post.

Now on to the other stuff. Some of the people from Burnet might be wondering (now and up untill the end of the 4th quarter) How was Jasper able to do what we did. Well, after Jasper and Burnet traded film, the coaching staff found a glitch (none of the players would tell me what it was, but they told me about the new offense)in Burnets Defense, and we created a new offense that wasnt on the film the players studied. And i gotta hand it to Burnet, they adapted alot quicker than i thought they would. But stil , it was a new, clock wasting offense that cause Burnet by suprise. Last night i said that no matter what the outcome, the ppl from Burnet are going to see some "shock and awe" form Jasper, and i cant speak about the awe part, but i would bet that almost everyone if not everyone on the yall's side was shocked when we had the lead for almost 3 quarters. But between a fumble and a turnover, you managed to squeek by. And my hat is off to you for capitalizing on our mistakes. But our players gave everything they had in their bodies and played with the heart( not hearts, we had one heartbeat, as a team) of Champions. Not to take away anything from Burnet, but because of that, we deserved to win that game just as much as you did, if not more. We were prepared, we were confindent, not cocky, and its my opinion that we were out-scored....not out-played.

(I got nothing against Burnet, yall are a great town with great fans and a great team)
But while i still dont think you are number one, you did beat us, and you do go to the state game. And with saying that. Come next saturday, make it so that we were beat by the champs. Good luck. Thanks again to the people of Burnet, and congradulations Jasper on a friggin' awesome season.

Thanks, and see ya in again in August 04'.

Rooster
12-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Looks like Burnet got a taste of what Deep East Texas Football has to offer and I don't think they liked it very much, in fact they are extremely lucky to be advancing to the next round. I don't live in Jasper but I have followed them closely all year and they are the real deal. As for Burnett, Man, what was the deal with all the whining being done to the refs by Burnets players, especially Shipley and McGeee. Everytime they got touched they were crying to the refs. Give me a break, play ball and take you lumps like a man. What a bunch of primadonnas (I can think of another p-word that would probably fit their actions better). Let's face it the refs kept Burnett in the game, the Jasper Bulldog's were the better team today.
Go Gainsville.

snowsnake
12-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Way to go Jasper Bulldogs, you showed your true colors tonight. The true fans of Jasper are extremely proud of you and your efforts. Coaches, great game plan and great job.
Burnett you squeaked by, glad we could cause the PRIMETIME players some anxiety (truthfully your'e lucky you won). Now lets see what you do next year after you graduate all your seniors. You have some big shoes to fill to keep up with Jasper's effort this year.
Jasper Bulldog's we love you and can hardly wait until football season next year.

spaniard
12-07-2003, 12:25 AM
snowsnake:
Way to go Jasper Bulldogs, you showed your true colors tonight. The true fans of Jasper are extremely proud of you and your efforts. Coaches, great game plan and great job.
Burnett you squeaked by, glad we could cause the PRIMETIME players some anxiety (truthfully your'e lucky you won). Now lets see what you do next year after you graduate all your seniors. You have some big shoes to fill to keep up with Jasper's effort this year.
Jasper Bulldog's we love you and can hardly wait until football season next year.im glad you guys are being such graceful people as far as the game goes. sometimes a game is close like today, and your team may not end up on top, so live with it, and next year ya'll probly will win it all, but thats a year away, so start being good sports and quit saying players are whiners, because im sure that jasper had some things that some burnet fans could fuss about. this is just my opinion, and i wasnt at the game, but it seems that there is some bitterness felt by you two.

lotus67
12-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Rooster seems very upset and Snowsnake is a little put out too. frown

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: lotus67 ]</small>

marktaras
12-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Burnet fumbled too, they also got flagged. They had the same 48 minutes that Jasper had.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Well, What can you expect. We just lost a game that we should have won. Coach Shipley knows it, Jordan Shiply knows it, I KNOW Steven McGee knows it ( he got his only 4-5 sacks this season from us) and the rest of the team knows that we played better. I am by no means trying to take anything away from burnet. But i just hope that some of the fans can agree with this. I got no problem with it, cause Waco Conelly should have won the game against us. But they didnt, we got lucky and lived to play another day. But Burnet dare i say got lucky(good team, but they got lucky today). But anyway, good luck Burnet

snowsnake
12-07-2003, 12:48 AM
spaniard:

snowsnake:
Jasper Bulldog's we love you and can hardly wait until football season next year.im glad you guys are being such graceful people as far as the game goes. sometimes a game is close like today, and your team may not end up on top, so live with it, and next year ya'll probly will win it all, but thats a year away, so start being good sports and quit saying players are whiners, because im sure that jasper had some things that some burnet fans could fuss about. this is just my opinion, and i wasnt at the game, but it seems that there is some bitterness felt by you two.I think you must have misinterpreted what I had to say. I was congratulating my team for a good game and as several of the Burnett fans told me at the game, that they and I were at, they did feel lucky to have won and were quick to tell us that they were very nervous when Jasper was ahead. Also I was referencing the fact that Jasper graduated 32 seniors last year and still made it back to the Semifinals. With Burnett graduating most of its players this year they will have alot to live up to in order to match the effort and outcome of this year's Jasper Bulldogs. Therefore, it may be your opinion but your opinion is misplaced.

dawgdad
12-07-2003, 12:51 AM
When it comes down to it the only thing that counts is the score,to blame referees is only a cop-out. Jasper,you played an excellent game and I was really impressed by your o-line. They executed very well and provided some great holes for your backs. Don't know why you decided to pass when every one of the passes seemed to wobble and float downfield (lucky they weren't all intercepted). There was a great pass to a tight end? across the middle for excellent yardage- should have tried more of those types of plays. The kickoff and fumble from a hit from Rountree was definitley a turning point in momentum.A field goal would have been good to put a nail in Jasper's coffin, but was not to be. Jasper, you guys have an excellent team and will be in the running next year- but give Burnet it's due- we won!!!!!!!! When they needed a win Burnet found a way to do it- that is the mark of a great team.

pakrat
12-07-2003, 01:11 AM
Rooster
Scrub
Member # 3669

Rate Member posted December 06, 2003 11:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like Burnet got a taste of what Deep East Texas Football has to offer and I don't think they liked it very much, in fact they are extremely lucky to be advancing to the next round. I don't live in Jasper but I have followed them closely all year and they are the real deal. As for Burnett, Man, what was the deal with all the whining being done to the refs by Burnets players, especially Shipley and McGeee. Everytime they got touched they were crying to the refs. Give me a break, play ball and take you lumps like a man. What a bunch of primadonnas (I can think of another p-word that would probably fit their actions better). Let's face it the refs kept Burnett in the game, the Jasper Bulldog's were the better team today.
Go Gainsville.
I noticed that too. Everytime McGee got touched he wanted help from the refs. Shipley was talking to the ref's and Pop Shipley was jawing the refs from the sidelines. I expected a quality team like Burnet to get out there and play the game. I was disappointed when Shipley was begging the refs after they got on offense. And yes, Burnet got one or two flags, but not near as many as Jasper. I saw that Burnet is much slicker with their holding when protecting the QB than most teams I have seen. The refs let them get away with it. I didn't see Jasper crying to the refs
about anything, but I'm sure somebody will reply to this. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that I didn't see it.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-07-2003, 01:17 AM
The only time that i saw one of our players talk to the refs about a questionable call was when burnet fumbled the ball, jordan patton got his hat knocked off, he picked up the ball and ran it back. But they refs said he was down before he fumbled when the ref wasnt in the right spot to see what happened. But.....i guess that happenes some times.

3ahunter2k4
12-07-2003, 02:54 AM
yeah it's hard to make every call right it just happens, and the boys get so emotional out there sometimes it's hard to not say anything... besides that i hung around in college station after the bellville game because i just had to see this one... and i'm glad i did. This was the second burnet game i've seen and they have awesome fans, players and halftime shows that really make the game fun and not to mention how awesome the two teams were today. Great game and both teams deserve all the credit that they get, if not more. good luck next year Jasper and next week Burnet. goodnight

oldengray1
12-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Jasper was awesome, great game plan, great players, great execution. congratulations. As far as Burnet being lucky I do not agree. "Lucky" in this game was a big hit by rountree to cause a fumble and turn the momentum, tenacious defense when it counted and
Jaspers inability to pass which turned into an interception by Warner. "Lucky" was made by pressure, then finished by an offense that had been held in check, but came through when it needed to. Jasper forced Burnet to take this one to the next level , and they did.

Haunta Yo
12-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Burnett just took advantage of an opportunity. Great teams do that when they get a chance. Jasper did it when they forced a fumble in the 2nd quarter and scored to make 7-6 and when they took a 14-7 lead in the 3rd quarter. Burnett did it when there was a minute left in the game.

DawgMaw02
12-07-2003, 11:25 AM
pakrat:

Rooster
Scrub
Member # 3669

Rate Member posted December 06, 2003 11:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go Gainsville.
I noticed that too. Everytime McGee got touched he wanted help from the refs. Shipley was talking to the ref's and Pop Shipley was jawing the refs from the sidelines. I expected a quality team like Burnet to get out there and play the game. I was disappointed when Shipley was begging the refs after they got on offense. And yes, Burnet got one or two flags, but not near as many as Jasper. I saw that Burnet is much slicker with their holding when protecting the QB than most teams I have seen. The refs let them get away with it. I didn't see Jasper crying to the refs
about anything, but I'm sure somebody will reply to this. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that I didn't see it.Seems to me I remember one point in the game where a Jasper player was having to pull his whining coach away from a ref.
When 2 teams are as evenly matched as Burnet (yes, that is BurneT, one "T") and Jasper, mistakes have to be kept at a minimum, and Burnet capitalized on Jaspers mistakes.
Regardless of all the whining, it was a great game! Jasper, you fought a hard battle. Good Job! OK BURNET BULLDOGS.......ON TO DALLAS TO BEAT GAINESVILLE!

Old Cardinal
12-07-2003, 12:22 PM
In looking over the big picture, I list Division I in the Playoffs: #1 Burnet #2 Jasper #3 Manor #4 Gainesville #5 Waco Connally #6 Sinton #7 A. Wylie...However you would choose to list these teams, I think we will all agree that their is some potent teams in the playoffs this season.

Old No. 7
12-07-2003, 12:28 PM
My hat's off to Jasper. What a game. I had to listen to the radio.(thanks 102.7 for broadcasting the game) When two great teams meet, someone has to loose. I don't think yall lost, you just got out scored. As I have said before thanks for representing our district. I can't waite till next season. I hope K-ville is still in yalls district next year. :) :)

J-town Hustler
12-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Hey Old Cardinal, you classified the best quite well. Here is what I think about the best.
1. Burnet
2. Jasper
3. Waco Connally
4. Gainesville
5. Manor
6. Sinton
7. Abilene Wylie
You are absolutely right though, there was some great potential this year.

As for Jasper, I am proud to say we almost made it to state. We lost so many last year to graduation, that this year we had a reconstructed team. Now we are young again. With most of the key players coming back. In the 2004 season, we will be a force to be reckoned with. For the next couple of years, expect us to go far.

Old Cardinal
12-07-2003, 01:16 PM
You may well be right on your picks, J-town-H.... I know that Manor is projected to be quite strong next year. Do you know the status of the Connally Cadets for next year? Jasper should be loaded! It really is a problem down here at Bridge City, our 9th grade beats Jasper 14-0 and then again 30-6(the past two seasons) but too many kids quit the program through the years and we have few Senior football players- projected again next season. Graduated youth say that the Defensive Cord., for the most part, is responsible for the decline of athletes in the program. I don't know for sure. I suspect that a little affluence and a few cars purchased for them by parents, may have something to do with it. The odors of gasoline and perfume can be a real temptation for some youth!
I have a question, is WO-S or Jasper going to be the largest enrollment school in the UILs special new SE Texas District? Can you imagine one of the two playing in the Division II playoff bracketing. I would really pity some of the schools that have to face that kind of enrollment induced depth that either of these school will take into the playoff next season. What are your thoughts?

<small>[ December 07, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

J-town Hustler
12-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Old Cardinal,
I heard that this was the year, for the Cadets. Seeing how strong of competition they were this year, I can only predict that they will be just as good, perhaps better. Yes, Jasper should have a good team as well. Since most of the key players will be back and we have an oustanding group of Juniors and Sophomores. Especially with the Freshman, that started against Burnet until a slight injury. He has speed, an arm, and just natural talent. I hope everything goes well with the Bridge City football program. The decline of athletes is not a good sign. Bridge City deserves better than that. They are a great power in Texas football. Maybe things will turn around for the better. I agree with you, WO-S and Jasper will have high enrollments for the division that they will be in. We have had a lot happen between us. A bit of a rivalry one could say. If we are able to play against the smaller schools in Division II, I project that we would go far. I too pity some of the teams that will have to face us. Same goes for those who face Bridge City. The enrollment difference will play a big part next year. Before the teams take the field, the bigger school already has the advantage. More students to choose from means better quality. In the future, I predict that WO-S and Jasper, will be a great force in SE Texas football. Best of luck to you next season Old Cardinal.

spaniard
12-07-2003, 02:16 PM
snowsnake:

spaniard:

snowsnake:
Jasper Bulldog's we love you and can hardly wait until football season next year.im glad you guys are being such graceful people as far as the game goes. sometimes a game is close like today, and your team may not end up on top, so live with it, and next year ya'll probly will win it all, but thats a year away, so start being good sports and quit saying players are whiners, because im sure that jasper had some things that some burnet fans could fuss about. this is just my opinion, and i wasnt at the game, but it seems that there is some bitterness felt by you two.I think you must have misinterpreted what I had to say. I was congratulating my team for a good game and as several of the Burnett fans told me at the game, that they and I were at, they did feel lucky to have won and were quick to tell us that they were very nervous when Jasper was ahead. Also I was referencing the fact that Jasper graduated 32 seniors last year and still made it back to the Semifinals. With Burnett graduating most of its players this year they will have alot to live up to in order to match the effort and outcome of this year's Jasper Bulldogs. Therefore, it may be your opinion but your opinion is misplaced.my comment was mostly directed to rooster, but somewhat to you as well, i'll admit i was nervous listening to the last 10 minutes of the game yesterday. i think this game could've gone either way, and like you did say, we squeaked by yesterday, and maybe there was some luck involved, i dont know, hehe, i wasnt there. you guys will be back here next year in the playoffs with the talent that yall have, and hopefully so will we. yall take care and God Bless!

Dawgystyle
12-07-2003, 02:20 PM
First off, I don't think whining is the right word. Talking up the refs is as much a part of the game as not. It actually keeps the refs more alert. If you mention to a ref that a guy is holding and its not being called, the ref's gonna take a look. If for no other reason than to satisfy himself that his "non calls" have been justified. This is not "bush-league" behavior. They talk up the refs all the time in the NFL. But while we're on the subject, wasn't it Jasper's fans who booed the refs so loudly when they weren't awarded a fumble recovery that was run in for a touchdown. I think so.

Chris Hart
12-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Chris Hart:
First off, Congratulations on another fine season, you guys are truly a major force! Now on to the game. I figured going in, that Burnet would win, not bad but not real close. I thought yall would get outcoached again like last year. Both staffs coached a great game today. Jasper definately came into today's game with an gameplan that they had total confidence in. It worked well, especially in the first half in limiting Burnet to a 90 yd scoring drive on their first posession, but after that Burnet may have posessed the ball for 2 and a half minutes other than that opening drive in the first half. Jasper capitalized on Burnet's only turnover, to get their 6 points in the first half. The second half started with Jasper gaining momentum after stopping Burnet's opening drive, Jasper put together a scoring drive that put Burnet behind for the very first time this season. I didn't know how our boys would react. Burnet ended up tying the score at 14. The field position favored Burnet from there out and Burnet scored the winning TD with 17 ticks on the clock by capitalizing on a Jasper turnover.. What a game! Great job by the Jasper players and Coaches, I was truly impressed by the way yall believed in what you were doing, It's too bad someone had to lose today. We hope to meet yall again, and like the topic says, MY HAT IS OFF TO JASPER!!! :) I'm glad now, that when I posted this, that I left out the Jasper fans. I know Jasper has alot of good fans that post on this board, but now the WHINERS have came out of the closet. Don't say Burnet's players are whiners you few crybabies. Yalls COACHES and PLAYERS came in with a good scheme that limited our success. Both teams scored TDs off turnovers, that still leaves us with 2 TDs and yall with 1. Burnet also missed a FG and botched a snap on a fake FG and came away from inside the Jasper 10 twice with nothing. I'm proud of the way your COACHES coached, and your PLAYERS played, but you were BEAT by a better team and if you few WHINING FANS can't admit that, then apparently you're BLIND! :mad: :rolleyes:

spiveyrat
12-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Congrats Burnet! Thanks for your positive remarks. Good luck this week.

5livecrew
12-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Dawgystyle:
First off, I don't think whining is the right word. Talking up the refs is as much a part of the game as not. It actually keeps the refs more alert. If you mention to a ref that a guy is holding and its not being called, the ref's gonna take a look. If for no other reason than to satisfy himself that his "non calls" have been justified. This is not "bush-league" behavior. They talk up the refs all the time in the NFL. But while we're on the subject, wasn't it Jasper's fans who booed the refs so loudly when they weren't awarded a fumble recovery that was run in for a touchdown. I think so.

5livecrew
12-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Just a point of reference...I was at the game Saturday and the play in question...the fumbled fake field goal apparently returned for a Jasper TD...whether or not the referee blew the play dead is irrelevant...Rule 4-Section 1-Article 3-q says "Ball declared dead when...a runner's helmet comes completely off. The ball belongs to the runner's team at that spot." Meaning if the referee hadn't blown the play dead, by rule, it was dead because the runner had lost his helmet. Still a great game...no whining, please.