PDA

View Full Version : TASO files lawsuit against UIL

YTBulldogs
12-04-2009, 09:43 AM
The Texas Association of Sports Officials filed a lawsuit on December 3rd against the University Interscholastic League in hopes of preventing the UIL from requiring officials to register with the League in order to officiate varsity contests.

The lawsuit comes on the heels of what has been an ongoing battle between TASO and the UIL. At its legislative council meetings on Oct. 26, the UIL passed an amendment to section 1204 of its constitution and contest rules, which previously stated that its members schools were to use TASO-registered officials to call varsity sports.

The amendment, which received final approval from state Commissioner of Education Robert Scott in November and is scheduled to take effect July 1, 2010, changed 1204 to state that member schools must use officials registered with the UIL - removing TASO from the constitution and contest rules for the first time in 33 years.

TASO filed its suit in the Travis County district court, seeking a temporary restraining order to block the UIL from enforcing the new measure and bar the league from collecting any fee or tax as a condition for officiating games.

“We don’t think the UIL has the power to do any of this, and we don’t want our members feeling pressured to pay what may be an illegal fee to protect their jobs until the court sorts this out,” said George Coit, chairman of the TASO board of directors.

Officials who wish to call games in Texas currently pay $50 dues annually to TASO. The UIL amendment requires the same fee for registration beginning in July.

The lawsuit also questions whether the UIL has the authority to regulate the officials that call its contests. Those officials currently contract with and are paid by school districts. The UIL has 20 days to respond to the suit.

Messages left by the Chronicle with UIL executive director Dr. Charles Breithaupt were not returned on Thursday.

Texas is unusual in its current officiating setup. Currently, state high school sports association offices govern all aspects of officiating in 44 states. Four other states require officials to register with the state association but allow officials associations to do their own training.

James Batiste, president of the local basketball chapter of officials which voted to become a UIL chapter this summer, said he feels the concerns many TASO members have may be overblown.

"I think a lot of this is being blown out of proportion," Batiste said. "Many people feel that the UIL is trying to come in and take over and that's not their objective.

"I think once the dust settles, it's going to be better for our vocation."

TASO members continue to question why the UIL feels the need to require officials to register with the league and collect a dues fee.

"It's just leery of why the UIL wants us," said Stephen Hallmark, who is on the board of directors for the TASO Houston football chapter. "We've had a great relationship for 33 years."

Still, like many others, Hallmark hopes for some type of compromise.

"I feel (the lawsuit) is a good way to have all parties look at the positions they're holding and to try to come to a win-win situation for everyone," he said.

sam.khan@chron.com

GreenMonster
12-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Not saying it is right or wrong, but TASO will lose this argument. There is already a precedent in 44 other states that their state governing body regulates their officials as well as the schools and 4 more states that govern the officials but allow them to have independent associations also. I understand why the officials are upset, but UIL will not lose this case.

YTBulldogs
12-04-2009, 10:26 AM
For the past 33 years, it's seemed to work pretty well as is in Texas. TASO an outside, independent stand alone organization. Why you think UIL want's total control of everything? Maybe our 15,000 TASO official's dues?

Yes, leaving TASO as a independent agency, away from UIL, is in the best interest of the kids IMO.

Trashman
12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
For the past 33 years, it's seemed to work pretty well as is in Texas. TASO an outside, independent stand alone organization. Why you think UIL want's total control of everything? Maybe our 15,000 TASO official's dues?

Yes, leaving TASO as a independent agency, away from UIL, is in the best interest of the kids IMO.

That is $750,000. in fees! Show me the money! What do you want to bet that the schools will still be required to pay the officals indirectly through the UIL. It's all about control and the Money. Either way TASO loses.:thinking:

GreenMonster
12-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
That is $750,000. in fees! Show me the money! What do you want to bet that the schools will still be required to pay the officals indirectly through the UIL. It's all about control and the Money. Either way TASO loses.:thinking: UIL wants the $50 fee per official. That's what this boils down to, but it also gives them the power to control the officials. Do I see the officials concerns that the UIL will look after it's own interests first, the schools' interest second, and the officials' interests last? Yes. Do I think Texas will lose some officials over these changes? Yes. Do I think UIL will back down? No. They will do what they want and we will have some disgruntled officials (all sports) out there, but given time everything will settle down and get back to normal. I don't think UIL is neccessarily interested in decreasing the officials pay as much as they are interested in collecting their fees and controling their guidance.

cotulla
12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
It's worked for 33 years? From a coaches standpoint? NO. From an officials standpoint? YES.

TASO is not regulated by anyone than themselves. Ask a UIL coach who has been tossed from a game. Official always wins, no questions asked. There is no accountability on TASO. None.

If I want to officiate, I pay my $50 to TASO, take an open-book test, buy a uniform and off I go.

When the officials get over there power trip and see what UIL is going to do with their $750,000 everyone will be happy.

To the official - what has the $50 gotten you from TASO in the past year? Ever had a trouble getting paid from an ISD? Think the UIL will help you get paid now?

Officials will like the new fee schedule.

Let's see, a UIL official will make more money, recieve more training, and the playoff structure will be more equitable so everyone has a shot, not just the "good ol' boys".

What's not to like?

TASO should be asking why are there only 6 states not doing it this way?

TexMike
12-04-2009, 01:29 PM
The argument that "44 other states do it this way" is beyond weak. 48 other states use NFHAS rules for football. So should Texas abandon NCAA rules and go to NFHS rules? Didn't yall's mothers ever teach about not jumping off a bridge just because all your friends are????

Accountability????????????? How about this? The coaches have the ABSOLUTE right to reject anyone from working their games. If there is a crappy guy out there officiating, coaches are going to let each other know and he will not be working.

And TASO has sanctioned officials in the past who were found at fault in certain scenarios.

More training???????????? Whjo is going to do that/ The basketball official with 12 years experience who is the UIL officiarting czar right now? That is qho you want training football officials?

Texas HS football officials are the best trained in the nation. Ask any college conference who scouts potential opfficials to bring in to their conference.

When I went back East 4 years ago I reached out to several d-II and III conferences to see what the chances were for getting in with them. When I told the supervisors I was coming from Texas and my experience level here, I received several immediate offers, sight unseen.

TexasHSFootball
12-04-2009, 02:01 PM
here is the TASO announced press release obtained by myself

TASO Press Release regarding lawsuit vs UIL (http://www.texashsfootball.com/dailyblitz/tasopressrelease120409.htm)

cotulla
12-04-2009, 02:53 PM
The coaches have the ABSOLUTE right to reject anyone from working their games

You call that accountibility? No, that bad official just goes down the road and affects someone elses game.

TexMike - this is not all just about football.

What sanction does TASO do? Keep officials from working playoff games? Educate me if I'm wrong.

Training - you really think UIL will leave football training to Timmons? Really? Come on now. UIL is better than that.

I will agree, TX high school football officials are the best in the nation. I have not read anyone say they are not. UIL does not think differently. In my opionion, I do not think the UIL thinks differently, I'm thinking they want to take a great product and make it better.

Wait, this is not all about football.

My guess is that it started with the baseball chapters not charging 1204, charging more than the UIL constitution allowed.

Pick6
12-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by cotulla
UIL is better than that.

:lies:

GATAPride77
12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Mike looks like ol Black and White found the 3A DL board?

BwdLion_80
12-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by cotulla
My guess is that it started with the baseball chapters not charging 1204, charging more than the UIL constitution allowed.

Your guess would be wrong. This all started up a few years ago with TASO basketball. They are the only TASO orginization that has no money. Poor management and leadership on the basketball side of things is what brough this all on. As of now, the basketball officials are the only ones that are really pushing for the UIL!

YTBulldogs
12-14-2009, 10:24 AM
The coaches will do a good job calling these games if this UIL takeover goes through.

Could have a visiting coach call one end of the basketball court, home coach call the other.

Visiting coach call the plate, while home school coach calls the bases. Or vise versa.

With the shortages already facing TASO, coaches will have to step up and handle these games for the next 5 years until some new guys join to replace the bulk of officials not registering with the UIL.

These new guys will have to get trained, and since UIL has no plan in place to get this accomplished, might become the norm to have the coaches call their own games in the future.

Here's a few sites you coaches might want to check out for gear.

Honigs.com
Refscall.com

NastySlot
12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
The coaches will do a good job calling these games if this UIL takeover goes through.

Could have a visiting coach call one end of the basketball court, home coach call the other.

Visiting coach call the plate, while home school coach calls the bases. Or vise versa.

With the shortages already facing TASO, coaches will have to step up and handle these games for the next 5 years until some new guys join to replace the bulk of officials not registering with the UIL.

These new guys will have to get trained, and since UIL has no plan in place to get this accomplished, might become the norm to have the coaches call their own games in the future.

Here's a few sites you coaches might want to check out for gear.

Honigs.com
Refscall.com

saw a game a few years ago...between to two teams at a neutral site...both coaches forgot to line up officials.......so they had coaches from both schools and i think two from the hosting site officiate....it was a very well officiated game.....oh yeah it wasn't a playoff just a non-district game.

YTBulldogs
12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
saw a game a few years ago...between to two teams at a neutral site...both coaches forgot to line up officials.......so they had coaches from both schools and i think two from the hosting site officiate....it was a very well officiated game.....oh yeah it wasn't a playoff just a non-district game.

See, they can do it. Most coaches know a few rules. And, the UIL can have them do it for free, saving schools money. There, issue settled.