PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Heroes

Backwoods
09-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Just thought I'd toss this one out. The next game you go to, think about it. Some of us are blessed with good teams and winning programs. Think of the other side of the coin. We hear a lot of smack talked and the bragging on good teams and players. What about those that aren't so good. They get beat almost every week many times 40+ to zip. Yet next Monday these courageous kids will be back on the field getting ready for Friday. There is no playoff in their future, only the satisfaction of giving their all. To me ( and I'm a veteran,) this is the American spirit at it's best. I like to think that we outscore them, not beat them. My hat's off to these guys and I hope they score big and often in life. You're my heroes.

cajun1
09-30-2003, 05:03 PM
I agree with you 100%... :D :D :D

Gobbla2001
09-30-2003, 05:23 PM
No doubt...

I know I rib 4A Calhoun a lot because of their football disabilities, but that's mostly because I was once a part of the program (7th and 8th grade) and couldn't understand why they were bad...

My step-bro played both his 7th and 8th grade year on the Calhoun (Travis Middle School) A team... They went 20-0 in those two years playing tough 4A competition (Bay City ring a bell?)...

That class never got over 3 wins in Varsity Competition and I just couldn't understand...

BUT, I respect each and everyone of those players who get on the field and lose almost every week... They love their football, and not even an 0-10 season will take it away from 'em...

They're all champions in my book...

EndzoneJR43
09-30-2003, 06:17 PM
I think this is the best post I've read in a long time. Thank you for giving recognition to the young men who haven't tasted victory or glory but yet they go out on that field every Friday night and give it all they got. Then like you said they go back to the practice field Monday to start over with all they have to give.

I live in Bastrop County and we have a team, I think everyone knows who I am refering to,
They haven't had a win as of yet but they are winners in my book, they give it all they got every week, their heart and soul goes into that game, They play hard till the end and don't give up till the last play, though they haven't come out the victor yet, they can hold their heads up high, shake their opponent's hand and say 'Good game'.
These young players are every bit the heroes that those that come on here and boast about their wins.

Let me say these guys are improving every week,
the last 2 games, they were supposed to have been shut out by 40 to 55 points, well they made their opponent work hard for their win and the point spread was no more than 11 points in one game and 13 in the other game.

GO TIGERS, Always hold your head up high! You deserve it.

Old Green
09-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Wow! That's deep Backwoods. I guess you could say I'm one who forgets what football is really about.best post in a long time. I will give you a five star rating for that one.

Chief Woodman
09-30-2003, 06:29 PM
There is one on here for sure...CRSeagle plays for Carter Riverside. I have met him and he is a very polite young man. He plays both ways and gives it his all despite the oods. Playing just for the love of the game and the chance to do his best. He is exactly what you are describeing.

BrahmaMom
09-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Now there is the definition of a champion in my book. It is easy to practice and go out on Friday night when the odds are with you, it is a lot tougher and says a lot about your character when you keep giving it your all despite the odds and the record. Lots of respect goes out to the "other" teams, the ones that aren't ranked and play for the love of the game. A great life lesson, to be sure. Thanks for reminding us all--great post.

exbccards76'smom
09-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks for bringing this topice up. It makes me think of my high school, Kountze. They play their hearts every year.

Pudlugger
09-30-2003, 09:09 PM
I played football for a 5a school in 1964. They just came out with facemasks the year before and it was just one bar across the helmet (many bloody noses!). I was a right tackle at 185 lbs. That was average size in those days. We had a coach that no one liked. He was a racist and a tyrant who belittled every player to the point of tears sometimes. We went 0-3 until he was fired, then the assistant coach (an English teacher of mine who loved poetry!) took over. He gave the most inspirational talk to the team about fear and courage, honor and manhood.

The Soldier

If I should die,think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is forever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed:
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by rivers, blest by suns of home.

Rupert Brooke 1914 ( soon after died on a troop ship en route to Gallipoli of dysentary in the Great War)

We went out that Friday night and beat the undefeated district champion 28-7. We only won 2 games that season, my senior year, but I will never forget that coach or that speech. I think it is wonderful that my son gets to play on a winning program with professional coaches who have the kids interests in mind. Yes, I often feel a little identification with those guys who put out the effort day in day out and never gain the respect or glory of being on a winning team. Great post and a great thought. Thank you. :)

<small>[ September 30, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

Wildcat81
10-01-2003, 11:56 AM
well said backwoods that was really great words man that is something to think about those that give thier all and but get out there on monday to get ready for the next game .

Old Cardinal
10-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Wow, We appreciate these thoughts. Sometimes we get a little out of prespective on football..

CatsDen
10-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Backwoods, that was an outstanding post! I have to admit that I rarely think about the team, or the fans, on the other side of the field when Kennedale is ripping off 50 points in a blowout game...humbling post. Thanks

underware
10-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Cheers to all the boys! I was on a losing program also. My four years in High School, we went 9 and 31. BUT we had a blast!! Band, cheerleaders, fans. It was fun. :)

Commerce Fan
10-01-2003, 12:51 PM
WOW I have never looked at it that way and have never been on that end of the stick. These guys are real soldiers. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. You have changed my way of looking at these guys!!!!

BIG19
10-01-2003, 01:08 PM
Great post. Thanks. This is why I, personnaly, really try not to talk about the other team we are playing. Sure we brag about our team. Specially when they are winning. It is also the reason why so many of us, after the game is played, try to pick the losing team back up. It is an encouragment thing for this kids to learn from. High school football is just a game fought by these warriors (kids) on Friday nights. Say a prayer for both teams before each game that they may all be safe, have fun, and most of all remember that it is just a game and not a life and death situation. No matter what is riding on the game. Thanks again for the post.

SintonFan
10-01-2003, 02:20 PM
A wonderful post! Many times we lose sight of what winning and losing means. Any child who experiences losing like this is a true winner. They've learned perseverence, something many people never achieve or understand. Again a great post!

trojandad
10-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Best of posts, is why I respect teams like Tarkington who get on here every week and read "you've beaten nobody, you played Tarkington and...". Also, I appreciate any post that would let us FINALLY know the answer to the question "Did Pud play ball without a helmet?"

ROFL......just messin with ya, bro!! wink

3afan
10-01-2003, 02:51 PM
i played on varsity 3 years and we were 6-23-1 so i understand that aspect very well ... thats why i'd NEVER slam or ridicule someone for losing

PAINTBALL
10-01-2003, 05:35 PM
SintonFan:
A wonderful post! Many times we lose sight of what winning and losing means. Any child who experiences losing like this is a true winner. They've learned perseverence, something many people never achieve or understand. Again a great post!My dad always told me not to pray for perseverence because of what you have to go through to learn it. He would point to the Book of Job as his reference

Old Cardinal
10-01-2003, 05:35 PM
To SintonFan: I just wanted to say that it looks like we are both, kind of struggling early this year..We have been on top, of our District with ease before-- and now we will struggle to make the playoffs...That's the way it goes some years...I was just curious, BC has still maintained an incrediable fan attendence base: we had our side of the stadium full for the H-F game, even after 3 straight loses. Has Sinton been able to keep that big Pirate attendence in tack?

Gobbla2001
10-01-2003, 05:51 PM
I might be able to help, Old Card... I was at the Cuero/Sinton game in Sinton Friday night and the stands were packed the whole time...

Old Cardinal
10-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks, I kind of figured they would not desert that team, during stressful times. I have never seen Cuero play-but they sound like a prowd program also..

SintonFan
10-02-2003, 12:19 AM
Old Cardinal:
To SintonFan: I just wanted to say that it looks like we are both, kind of struggling early this year..We have been on top, of our District with ease before-- and now we will struggle to make the playoffs...That's the way it goes some years...I was just curious, BC has still maintained an incrediable fan attendence base: we had our side of the stadium full for the H-F game, even after 3 straight loses. Has Sinton been able to keep that big Pirate attendence in tack?Old Card, sorry it took me awhile to get to this. I work nights now. Gobbla is kinda right. There was enough folks to fill up the stadium but many were missing in the reserved section. Sinton has a decent number of people who 'fence' it. They haven't abandoned the team, but attendance was down somewhat. Many of the bandwagoners weren't there. Spirit is down too. It was disheartening to hear "Go mean Green" so loud in our stadium. We still root for those boys, they are giving it their all. :cool:

PAINTBALL:
My dad always told me not to pray for perseverence because of what you have to go through to learn it. He would point to the Book of Job as his referenceUnderstandable...