PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Cuero folks

IHS Fan
12-01-2009, 02:17 PM
looking through the football history thread it says that in 1920 cuero lost to the cuero townies. does anybody know who these people were? were there 2 schools?

Old Green
12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by IHS Fan
looking through the football history thread it says that in 1920 cuero lost to the cuero townies. does anybody know who these people were? were there 2 schools? Not sure, but it could have been against Cuero local alumni . Schools use to do that back then with anybody you could scrape up. I know some schools still do it in basketball.

44INAROW
12-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Not sure, but it could have been against Cuero local alumni . Schools use to do that back then with anybody you could scrape up.

Old Green - do you remember/know if Cuero ever played Daule? Wasn't 68 or so the last graduating class at Daule? I never have heard if the two ever played each other ( I assume Daule had a team)

BwdLion73
12-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by IHS Fan
looking through the football history thread it says that in 1920 cuero lost to the cuero townies. does anybody know who these people were? were there 2 schools?

I thought Old Green played in that game.

:devil: ;)

Old Green
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Old Green - do you remember/know if Cuero ever played Daule? Wasn't 68 or so the last graduating class at Daule? I never have heard if the two ever played each other ( I assume Daule had a team) No they never played. I don't even think they scrimmaged.

Old Green
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73

:devil: ;) Touche!!!!!:D You got me my friend .LMAO

Ranger Mom
12-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Not sure, but it could have been against Cuero local alumni . Schools use to do that back then with anybody you could scrape up. I know some schools still do it in basketball.

It looks like you are right.....

Cuero Townies (http://www.lonestarfootball.net/TeamList.asp?Show=Townie)

44INAROW
12-01-2009, 02:45 PM
No they never played. I don't even think they scrimmaged.

wow - I am glad times have changed. :)

Originally posted by BwdLion73

:devil: ;)

funny stuff :D

bleacherbum
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
From The Cuero Record article entitled "Cuero Gobblers: A tradition of excellence" by Richard Morton. August 6, 2008

The 1920's were truly roaring for the Gobblers as they went 46-26 for the decade. In the second game of the 1920 season the Gobblers defeated Victoria High 38-6, playing the second half in darkness as there were no Friday night lights around. That same season, the Gobblers played a benefit game against former players. The Cuero Record described the All-Star team as being "...made up of former football stars, has beens, would bees, counts, and no counts." In 1924 the Gobblers joined the UIL and in 1928, Cuero won the first of its twenty six District Championships.

Im trying to find the online archive to link the whole article. Oh and the Gobblers now have 28 district championships.

44INAROW
12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
good stuff there, Scoop, opps I mean BleacherBum ;)

Old Green
12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 44INAROW
[B]wow - I am glad times have changed. :) I started at the Cuero Schools in 1966 at the Old Jr. High on Sarah. Both schools Cuero and Daule fielded good teams, but nothing spectacular.

In 1966, I had a Cousin playingrunning back for cuero High and remember him getting both legs broken in a game by some dirty playing players on the opposing team. It ended his football career.

1968 the schools merged and in 1970 we jelled into one unified community. The times did change alright.