PDA

View Full Version : Anyone drove to Phoenix?

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 09:14 PM
approx drive time from Ft Worth??

Gobbla2001
11-30-2009, 09:26 PM
not sure from Ft. Worth, but I wanna say it took us around 12/13 hrs drive-time from San Antone

Gobbla2001
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
and I'd say it may take you an hour more from Ft. Worth looking at the map...

Keith7
11-30-2009, 09:29 PM
13-14 hours driving at a reasonable speed.. depending on what time you leave and how you feel about long car rides, you might want to stay over night somewhere along the way

STANG RED
11-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I drove it from Sweetwater a couple months back. Made it in about 13 hours, stopping to eat and rest a couple times, and a couple more short stops for leg stretching, rr breaks. It was really a pretty enjoyable drive.
You should be able to make it in 15 to 16 hours easy.

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Hoping TCU winds up at Fiesta Bowl since Sugar Bowl looks out....if I go would probably drive to El Paso stay there and make the rest of the drive the next day.

STANG RED
11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
If you have time, do yourself a huge treat and drive on up to Sedona for a day. It's only an hour or so north of Phoenix, and well worth the drive. Most beautiful place I've ever seen.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd suggest staying in Las Cruces, Matt... not that far on the other side of El Paso and shortens your drive a tad the next day... and the Days Inn had a badass breakfast buffet ha

STANG RED
11-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Hoping TCU winds up at Fiesta Bowl since Sugar Bowl looks out....if I go would probably drive to El Paso stay there and make the rest of the drive the next day.

I wouldnt stay in El Paso if I were you. Its a good place to get dead. Tucson is real nice, and has lots of good motels right on the interstate. Nice drive from there on up to Phoenix.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
then you can go to Old Tuscon where they've filmed some Westerns... been there a couple of times...

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I visited El Paso in Sept and stayed there and had no issue? As long as you dont go over to Juarez which I have no interest in its fine

Tx Challenge
11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Why not consider flying? Any way you look at it, it is a long azz drive! ....Take all thing in consideration and really won't be that much difference..

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Corpus to Sierra Vista is about 15-16 hours (according to mapquest)....I was able to do it in just under 14. Phoenix is another 3 hours or so up 10. As far as staying in El Paso...do yourself a HUGE favor and either stop BEFORE ...or somewhere on the other side of El Paso. El Paso is not a nice place these days.

I used to do this drive all the time when I lived in AZ.

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
driving because a couple of buddies are coming with so its much cheaper to drive instead of buying 3 plane tickets.

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Everyone saying El Paso is not a nice place, I stayed there and didn't see it. I enjoyed my time there LOL

STANG RED
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Go to "The Library" while your there. Food and scenery put Hooters to shame, and it's just around the corner. Also just a mile or two from the stadium.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Go to "The Library" while your there. Food and scenery put Hooters to shame, and it's just around the corner. Also just a mile or two from the stadium.

hmmm, is that a chain? I believe there's a "The Library" in Austin, on 6th I guess, I was drunk maybe ILS1 remembers...

Bullaholic
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Everyone saying El Paso is not a nice place, I stayed there and didn't see it. I enjoyed my time there LOL

Maybe you can go thru Odessa, Matt---or do you still owe money for car repairs there? :D

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 10:02 PM
LOL naaa I'm good there..stayed in Midland two weeks ago...brought back ugly memories..LOL

Tx Challenge
11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
If you are driving, stay in Las Cruces instead of E.P.

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Everyone saying El Paso is not a nice place, I stayed there and didn't see it. I enjoyed my time there LOL Been hearing of lots of activity bleeding over from the border town drug wars. Other than that the highest percentage of crimes committed in El Paso are robbery, rape, and auto theft. Murder within the city limits itself is less than the national average per 100,000 people. (El Paso has just under 600,000 documented citizens if I'm not mistaken.)

SintonFan_inAustin
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
If you are driving, stay in Las Cruces instead of E.P. Drove from Corpus to Phoenix on my may to the Grand Canyon and Vegas. Watch out for the dust storms!

STANG RED
11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
hmmm, is that a chain? I believe there's a "The Library" in Austin, on 6th I guess, I was drunk maybe ILS1 remembers...

Yea I think so. Theres a street much like Austin's 6th street in Phoenix as well. Cant remember the name of the street, but it's not quiet as wild and crazy as 6th. Alot cleaner and nicer to. Several good bars and pubs, and some real good restaurants.
I rode the rail transit to and from there to a Diamond Backs game once. Very easy, cheap, and enjoyable.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Drove from Corpus to Phoenix on my may to the Grand Canyon and Vegas. Watch out for the dust storms!

yah we got blasted by one in El Paso last time we went... had to stop at a Petro for about 30 minutes...

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Yea I think so. Theres a street much like Austin's 6th street in Phoenix as well. Cant remember the name of the street, but it's not quiet as wild and crazy as 6th. Alot cleaner and nicer to. Several good bars and pubs, and some real good restaurants.
I rode the rail transit to and from there to a Diamond Backs game once. Very easy, cheap, and enjoyable. There's a similar area in Tucson as well. Good time.

kepdawg
11-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Matt at least you know they care about you!

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
And if you've never been to Tombstone....take the 25 min. jaunt down from I-10 and check it out. It's a good time and unique experience. We lived there for about 2 years. The surrounding scenery in the San Pedro River Valley is beautiful. You've got the Dragoons, the Huachucas, the Chiricahuas, etc. Not to mention Bisbee, Naco, etc. that are just the other side of Tombstone which also both have a lot of history.

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
El Paso much like any big city has its share of areas you want to avoid at night which I did. I stayed in a nice hotel by the airport for 39 bucks so unless I get a better deal in Las Cruces it'll be El Paso once again

Gobbla2001
11-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
And if you've never been to Tombstone....take the 25 min. jaunt down from I-10 and check it out. It's a good time and unique experience. We lived there for about 2 years. The surrounding scenery in the San Pedro River Valley is beautiful. You've got the Dragoons, the Huachucas, the Chiricahuas, etc. Not to mention Bisbee, Naco, etc. that are just the other side of Tombstone which also both have a lot of history.

Yah, Tombstone was cool, want to go back... ya gotta go to Boothill Graveyard/Cemetery:

"Here lies Lester Moore 4 slugs from a .44 no Les no More"

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yah, Tombstone was cool, want to go back... ya gotta go to Boothill Graveyard/Cemetery:

"Here lies Lester Moore 4 slugs from a .44 no Les no More" I've been...I've got relatives buried in that cemetery, no lie! LOL.

There is SOOOO much more to see around there though....most people just don't know where to look. We lived out there for 2yrs...so w/ the help of my atv & 4x4...I was able to see way more than the average tourist. The entire valley is beautiful and there are countless things to see other than the town itself.

Tx Challenge
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
El Paso much like any big city has its share of areas you want to avoid at night which I did. I stayed in a nice hotel by the airport for 39 bucks so unless I get a better deal in Las Cruces it'll be El Paso once again

I didnt know that "nice hotel" and $39 were possible! JK, I have stayed in El Paso a few times as well. Never had a problem. Personally like Las Cruces better

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I didnt know that "nice hotel" and $39 were possible! JK, I have stayed in El Paso a few times as well. Never had a problem. Personally like Las Cruces better Las Cruses is nice....and the backdrop is awesome when you're headed W to E coming into the city.

skins4life
11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
When we drive to Deming, NM from Snyder, it usually takes about 8 hours with potty breaks for the family and stuff. When we drive to Ft. Worth to see the family there, it takes about 4 hours with potty breaks and stuff. If it's you and a couple of buddies (unless you all have small blatters) you should be able to get to Deming in 12 hours and then I think it's only 4 1/2 hours from there to Phoenix. When we go through El Paso (my birth place) we get in the left lane and don't stop till we get to Anthony or further west...UUGGH:mad: I hate driving in El Paso.

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
When we go through El Paso (my birth place) we get in the left lane and don't stop till we get to Anthony or further west...UUGGH:mad: I hate driving in El Paso. Me too brotha!! I ALWAYS make sure I'm gassed up BEFORE...or just AFTER El Paso so I can blow through there as fast as possible.

Tx Challenge
11-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Me too brotha!! I ALWAYS make sure I'm gassed up BEFORE...or just AFTER El Paso so I can blow through there as fast as possible.

+1 I try to avoid, but he is talking about $39 a night. I try to avoid those places as well if I am not camping!

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Trust me its nice! LOL

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 10:57 PM
+1 I try to avoid, but he is talking about $39 a night. I try to avoid those places as well if I am not camping! LOL....amen. Most times I'll gas up in Sierra Blanca just to be sure!

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 10:58 PM
hey stopping in El Paso for some chicos tacos is a must!

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 11:01 PM
hey stopping in El Paso for some chicos tacos is a must! I am guilty of stopping a time or two. My wife and I like the saddle/leather shop there just off 10. I just usually try to avoid it when possible, especially after dark. That's just me though.

At any rate...enjoy your trip and give Tombstone a serious consideration if you've never been. That whole area is amazing.

Tx Challenge
11-30-2009, 11:02 PM

Also, unless you drive a Prius, if you are headed East out of E.P. You BEST fill up!

skins4life
11-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Trust me its nice! LOL

I worked there in '91 & '92 and couldn't wait to get out of there. Company sent me there in a lease truck and gave me "THE CLUB" and said if the truck was stolen and "THE CLUB" was not on the steering wheel, I was fired on the spot, no questions asked!! That year they had a rash a car thefts!!

Plus the locals don't drive like normal people!!!:eek: :eek:

STANG RED
11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
One thing to really watch out for in Arizona. Seems like every 20 to 30 miles you'll see a little white SUV parked on the shoulder, with about a 20' mast sticking up, with a radar gun on top. They'll send you a nice little picture of yourself along with the ticket. But the locals will tell you, you have to be going 10 mph over the limit to get a ticket. But with Texas tags, I wouldnt count on that. Also, there's a fair amount of road work going on between Tucson and Phoenix, and the speed limit is as low as 45 through much of it.

Tx Challenge
11-30-2009, 11:06 PM

I am giving you crap, E.P. is not my thing. Too old to hang with you young bucks. I prefer to stay in other areas. The $39 hotel thing is not something I have seen in years.

I hope TCU gets a bigger bowl game BTW!!!

Matthew328
11-30-2009, 11:11 PM
it was hotwire...Hawthorne Inn and Suites right by the airport..great deal...hoping TCU gets that bowl bid

Tx Challenge
11-30-2009, 11:13 PM
One thing to really watch out for in Arizona. Seems like every 20 to 30 miles you'll see a little white SUV parked on the shoulder, with about a 20' mast sticking up, with a radar gun on top. They'll send you a nice little picture of yourself along with the ticket. But the locals will tell you, you have to be going 10 mph over the limit to get a ticket. But with Texas tags, I wouldnt count on that. Also, there's a fair amount of road work going on between Tucson and Phoenix, and the speed limit is as low as 45 through much of it.

Az Cops love to bust speeders. Esp with out of state plates. Did u drive thru there when Tucson had all the exits thru town closed for construction? Jeez, glad most of that is over.

IHStangFan
11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
There's a truck stop just east of the exit for the airport in Tucson....it has GREAT food!! Will be on your right side as you head west. Can't remember what it's called. "JJJ" maybe?

STANG RED
11-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Az Cops love to bust speeders. Esp with out of state plates. Did u drive thru there when Tucson had all the exits thru town closed for construction? Jeez, glad most of that is over.

Yea there was a pretty good stretch through Tucson that was all torn up, and several exits were closed. I was planning on getting off for a break and some food, but ended up driving on through, and stopping a few miles north, at a real nice Pilot or Luvs.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 09:26 AM
There's a truck stop just east of the exit for the airport in Tucson....it has GREAT food!! Will be on your right side as you head west. Can't remember what it's called. "JJJ" maybe?

A Flying J maybe?

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Also, unless you drive a Prius, if you are headed East out of E.P. You BEST fill up!

Yah, I couldn't believe how much "nothing" was just hanging out East of EP

Deuce
12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Drove to Phoenix from Graham once and went straight thru. I know I didn't leave anything there, so I will not be going back!

pancho villa
12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
On the way there you could drop down and go through Douglas AZ. The hometown of "Pancho Villa" aka me.

Farmersfan
12-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Have you considered going north to catch I-40 in the panhandle and going through Albuquerque NM and over towards Flagstaff? I think it's about an hour longer but a much better drive. Perhaps it's too early in the winter but there is a ski resort just north of Flagstaff that is very cheap for skiing....

garciap77
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I wouldnt stay in El Paso if I were you. Its a good place to get dead. Tucson is real nice, and has lots of good motels right on the interstate. Nice drive from there on up to Phoenix.

CITIES OF 500,000 OR MORE POPULATION:

El Paso is the 2nd safest city in the nation.

OVERALL (320 METROPOLITAN AREAS):

Tucson, AZ is the 18th Most Dangerous METROPOLITAN AREA in the nation.

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm#CITIES

You must be thinking Juarez, Mexico! The murder rate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico has become the highest in the world. There were an average of seven killings every day for the past twelve months in the city. The majority of the 1,986 murders this year remain unsolved. I told you not to go there!:D