PDA

View Full Version : Props to Yoakum

Pudlugger
08-31-2002, 09:24 AM
Yoakum clearly was the better team last night against a La Grange team that was not ready for prime time. While Yoakum demonstrated poise and pinache on offense not getting a penalty called until mid 4th quarter, La Grange kept shooting itself in the foot with 4 or 5 holding calls, two facemasking (unintentional- when tackling a 5'5" rb how do you keep from touching the helmet!)and don't forget the icing on the cake- a delay of game call with LG on the Yoakum 2 yardline 2nd and goal with the score 13-0 late in the first quarter. This put us on the 7 and the call was for a little dump pass into the right corner of the endzone. Boone defended it beautifully, lying back just enough to get Anderle to loft a soft floater high (not high enough) over to TE Schramm which Boone then leaped up to intercept. Two plays latter, Harrison runs 80+ yards. He would have gone all the way except he was run down by the fastest guy on the field, #1 junior Eric Pittman, who caught him from behind finally after making up a 20 yard lead! No matter, the Bull Dogs scored next play- 14 point turnaround 21-0 rather than 14-7. The Yoakum D was impressive with #81 Cedric Johnson making way too many plays against the LG running game. The LG line looked lethargic and I suspect some changes will be made next week.

I can't close this message without risking sounding like a whinner but the Refs were truly awful. They called some penalties that were questionable, notably holding. One or two holding calls are to be expected but 4 or 5 against the visiting team at critical points stopping drives is just too much. Also, what is that offensive pass interference call all about...that's such a rare call in football you would think La Grange would get a break on that at least but noooooo. The two facemasking calls were on 3rd down stops by the LG D that kept the Yoakum drives going leading to the first 13 points scored. As an indication of how bad it was even the Umpire was unhappy waving off at least 3 calls againt La Grange including a legitimate and really excellent hit by CB Dansin Wolf #89 against Harrison who was trying to break a tackle. The ref threw the flag as the whistle was blown AFTER THE HIT for a late hit call! The other refs huddled with this guy and probably told him to keep his hanky in its holster for a few plays at least.

Bottom line, Yoakum was better prepared and had the most confidence as their defense stopped LG three times inside the 10 yard line which won them the game IMHO. The penalties helped keep La Grange off balance, but they would not have won had the Refs let them play(but it would have been a better game at least and everyone would have felt better about the outcome).

Josh Johnson, the LG defensive team leader and sparkplug linebacker who is being held up by the UIL over some technicality regarding paperwork or guardianship or whatever, did not play and his absence was felt by everyone. It is a shame that a kid can't play football because the UIL bureaucrats have their panties in a twist over his transfer, which was clearly motivated by personal family concerns not athletics.

Anyway, congratulations to Yoakum and good luck the rest of the year.

[This message has been edited by Pudlugger (edited August 31, 2002).]

sinton66
08-31-2002, 09:39 AM
Pudlugger, that's a tough break, but the season is young and it's a long road. You guys have enough talent to rise. I hope they let the Johnson kid play, it's really stupid not to. Let me know if you guys get up a petition.

PISSonU
08-31-2002, 09:52 AM
I agree. Yoakum is by far the better team. LG can't sit on their laurels of the past any more. Don't whine about crooked call even if you think they're legit. My friend got shafted for speaking his mind.
Bellville is team to watch. They beat an above average Rockdale team 31-7. Go Bulls!

bd62
08-31-2002, 10:08 AM
pudlugger how is chase a. saw him leave the game late in 3 quarter and never come back.
this will be a big confidence builder for us.we got edna next week and they are very talented also.
i was a little upset with our coach having boone in the game on defense with 4 minutes in game.he made a hit and was down for 10 minutes. what a relief when he finally got up.also harrison in game with 3 minutes left. now we got the ball and 22 point lead and our best back in game. figure that out.
good luck to lagrange rest of year. they allways seem to start slow and get better as year goes on.

Pudlugger
08-31-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by PISSonU:
I agree. Yoakum is by far the better team. LG can't sit on their laurels of the past any more. Don't whine about crooked call even if you think they're legit. My friend got shafted for speaking his mind.
Bellville is team to watch. They beat an above average Rockdale team 31-7. Go Bulls!

PISSonU, what is lodged high up in your colon? See a protologist asap before you get too backed up with bad vapors. No football team can rest on it's laurels and La Grange knows this more than most. They had nothing to do with all the pre-season polls which only put more pressure on a young team. No points are awarded in a game for the DCTF, AP Coaches or Collier-Sharpe poll rankings, you have to play football plain and simple. This team can get it together, La Grange had poor starts the last two years but managed to put together back to back appearances in the state title game. I'm not saying that will happen this year but I'm not writing this team off either. We have four more weeks to get ready for district play when it really matters.

sinton66
08-31-2002, 10:27 AM
Well said Pudlugger, and people who call other people WHINERS for merely stating their opinion really make me angry! That is a PERSONAL ATTACK of the first magnitude, and if it continues, Matthew or Jacket will ROM Mr. Snook too!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 31, 2002).]

Pudlugger
08-31-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bd62:
pudlugger how is chase a. saw him leave the game late in 3 quarter and never come back.
this will be a big confidence builder for us.we got edna next week and they are very talented also.
i was a little upset with our coach having boone in the game on defense with 4 minutes in game.he made a hit and was down for 10 minutes. what a relief when he finally got up.also harrison in game with 3 minutes left. now we got the ball and 22 point lead and our best back in game. figure that out.
good luck to lagrange rest of year. they allways seem to start slow and get better as year goes on.

Bd62 thanks for your concern,you Bulldogs are a classy bunch I'll say. I haven't heard yet about Anderle, but it looks like a significant ankle injury from where I stood on the 50 yard line. Hopefully it will not be too severe, we have really been hurt by ankle injuries this summer! As for keeping Boone in, I thought exactly the same thing. Why risk injury to your blue chip player when the game is in the bag? Give the second team a few looks! I bet the coach is wishing he had taken him out sooner. It looked like a concusion, is he going to be out a week or two? Last year in the openner at the AlamoDome, Archie McDaniel from Bay City gave our best OL a concussion earholing him bigtime and he missed the Giddings and Sealy games because of it.

That little Harrison kid has some great moves and should have a great year. Good luck in district, but don't start celebrating too soon right? D27AAA is the toughest in region 4 this year with Cuero, Gonzales and Luling all looking real salty.

Time to regroup, rethink, reorganize and reload in La Grange I guess.

bd62
08-31-2002, 10:49 AM
i talked to boone after game and he is ok.he knew me and was laughing when i ask him how many fingers i was holding up.
you are right. one game dont mean a season. i have seen teams come out like a ball of fire and burn out quick. i allways say not too high and not too low. just steady improvement.
as far as our dist. we know what we are up against. its a good situation because cuero,gonzales,luling, and yoakum are in same dist. every year and in a 3 year period each team has beat the other at least once. then you add edna,hallettsville,and goliad that seem to move in and out of this dist. those 7 make for a very competive dist. got to be ready every friday or your ass is beat.

LG_DB
09-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Yoakum did a great job Friday night against us, we didnt take advantage of what we had when we had it, and if we had a good play we would ruin it by a penalty, i think one of our problems was that the whole first quarter when they scored 14 pts. we didnt get a strength call on our defensive line that might of helped us, but i think we made horrible offensive calls. Yoakum is a great team and keep kickin ass, and also here in La Grange we have a motto, its not how you start the season its how you finish it

eye of the tiger
09-01-2002, 09:02 PM
A good win for Yoakum, but Im not ready to count LaGrange out just yet. It is way too early for that.

LG_DB
09-01-2002, 09:35 PM
thank you, most pple think that we are done cause we lost our first game, news flash its only our first game, and ill have most pple know that us losing our first of the season is only a tradition here we've lost our first game of the season the last 3 years, i mean its not tradition like that we go out and say yeah we have to lose, cuase its the first game its just the way its happened, but la grange is far from being over

sinton66
09-01-2002, 10:01 PM
No way will any diehard Texas football fan write off La Grange after one game!

SintonFan
09-01-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by bd62:
as far as our dist. we know what we are up against. its a good situation because cuero,gonzales,luling, and yoakum are in same dist. every year and in a 3 year period each team has beat the other at least once. then you add edna,hallettsville,and goliad that seem to move in and out of this dist. those 7 make for a very competive dist. got to be ready every friday or your ass is beat.

Last year provided some suprises from the meat of this dist. There might be one reg. 4 rep. here...