PDA

View Full Version : Waco

squid
11-29-2009, 06:35 PM
All this football stuff is fine, but its really about the pregame meal. Buzzard Billy's was always one of my favorite Waco joints, but I hear its moved and is a shadow of its former self. You can never go wrong with George's or the texmex place down on Franklin....

Any other ideas?

Halestorm
11-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Hooters mmmm

theoldoaktree
11-29-2009, 07:16 PM
does wylie play before or after graham friday.. im pretty sure yall play before but umm, im just making sure

coach
11-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by squid
All this football stuff is fine, but its really about the pregame meal. Buzzard Billy's was always one of my favorite Waco joints, but I hear its moved and is a shadow of its former self. You can never go wrong with George's or the texmex place down on Franklin....

Any other ideas?

buzzard billys is horible now

ccmom
11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by theoldoaktree
does wylie play before or after graham friday.. im pretty sure yall play before but umm, im just making sure Wylie plays Saturday.

bleedsbabyblue
11-29-2009, 07:44 PM
here are a few waco game-day favorites :

1. La Fiesta-3815 Franklin. imo best tex-mex and beverages hands down; family owned and operated since 1963.
2. Poppa Rollo's Pizza-703 N. Valley Mills Drive. great pizza and down-home atmosphere. a waco favorite before and after friday night lights. family owned and operated by roland "poppa" duty since 1968.
3. George's-1925 Speight. a waco favorite since the 1930's. burgers, mexican, american--you name it! famous for the "big o".
4. Casa de Castillo-4820 Sanger. great tex-mex, a little different style than la fiesta. family owned since 1930.
5. Lake Brazos Steakhouse-1620 N. MLK Blvd. excellent steaks, burgers and cfs. mason jar "beverages".
6. Heitmiller's Steakhouse-I-35, exit 343 in Elm Mott (N. of Waco). outstanding steaks, burgers and cfs
7. Michna's BBQ-2803 Franklin. best bbq buffet in waco!
8. Baris-904 N. Valley Mills Drive-outstanding home made italian and pizza! family owned and operated.

Others off the path, but popular waco eateries (check the phone book): Kitok's (oriental and americam--outstanding!); Double R Burgers; Rusty Star BBQ; Zeb's (burgers and american fare)

i'm sure i'm forgetting a lot of great restaurants in the area!

Buzzard Billy's is ok, but it's a relative newcomer to waco. and it has slipped a bit since the move to the river.

hope this helps! i'm looking forward to some great 3A football in waco this weekend!

Daddy D 11
11-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by coach
buzzard billys is horible now

Agreed.

sahen
11-29-2009, 08:05 PM
no mention of Viteks? i love the gutpacks!

Gobbla2001
11-29-2009, 08:07 PM
George's serves FOOD? I was there for the beer in '04 (Cuero/A. Wylie)...

Daddy D 11
11-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by sahen
no mention of Viteks? i love the gutpacks!

I eat 2 gutpaks weekly. I live on 12th so it's just a short drive away:)

bleedsbabyblue
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
sorry, but unless you're in waco early on friday or saturday, vitek's will be closed

Matthew328
11-29-2009, 09:11 PM
I am a fan of Rudy's for BBQ. Can't go wrong w/George's

coach
11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
crickets is a good and fun place to go

slingshot
11-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by bleedsbabyblue
here are a few waco game-day favorites :

1. La Fiesta-3815 Franklin. imo best tex-mex and beverages hands down; family owned and operated since 1963.
2. Poppa Rollo's Pizza-703 N. Valley Mills Drive. great pizza and down-home atmosphere. a waco favorite before and after friday night lights. family owned and operated by roland "poppa" duty since 1968.
3. George's-1925 Speight. a waco favorite since the 1930's. burgers, mexican, american--you name it! famous for the "big o".
4. Casa de Castillo-4820 Sanger. great tex-mex, a little different style than la fiesta. family owned since 1930.
5. Lake Brazos Steakhouse-1620 N. MLK Blvd. excellent steaks, burgers and cfs. mason jar "beverages".
6. Heitmiller's Steakhouse-I-35, exit 343 in Elm Mott (N. of Waco). outstanding steaks, burgers and cfs
7. Michna's BBQ-2803 Franklin. best bbq buffet in waco!
8. Baris-904 N. Valley Mills Drive-outstanding home made italian and pizza! family owned and operated.

Others off the path, but popular waco eateries (check the phone book): Kitok's (oriental and americam--outstanding!); Double R Burgers; Rusty Star BBQ; Zeb's (burgers and american fare)

i'm sure i'm forgetting a lot of great restaurants in the area!

Buzzard Billy's is ok, but it's a relative newcomer to waco. and it has slipped a bit since the move to the river.

hope this helps! i'm looking forward to some great 3A football in waco this weekend! Thanks for the tips!

Old Tiger
11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I love Georges. Big O's, Big O Long Island Iced Tea, and Big O margaritas.

GreenMonster
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I am a fan of Rudy's for BBQ. Can't go wrong w/George's x2
Really liked Buzzard Billy's when it was across from the Hilton in that crappy run down dump of a building. Something about a place like that just says "don't worry, the food is awesome here." I guess it's a confidence thing, if you are confident in your food you can open a restaurant anywhere. Haven't been since the move, sad to hear the quality has slipped. If you want something quick but still good there used to be a Backyard Burger down at the end of Valley Mills (at least I think that's where it was, it's been a while.)

Cameron Crazy
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
La Fiesta is a terrible choice to go to. 2 tacos they like to charge 10+ dollars for them and they are terrible. Your best bet is going to georges or you could always check our Rudys!

XMan
11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
If you are really brave, try Sonny's out on the Asa highway.

squid
11-30-2009, 01:49 PM
I remember La Fiesta being pretty good, and not all that expensive. But the last time I ate there was in 2005.

Whats the name of the steakhouse out on 35 north of Waco? Seemed like it was a family name that started with an 'H'.....

jason
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
George's serves FOOD? I was there for the beer in '04 (Cuero/A. Wylie)... ya - me too

DaHop72
11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Old Tiger
I love Georges. Big O's, Big O Long Island Iced Tea, and Big O margaritas.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/Picture026.jpg

Kind of like this guy. :D :D

cshscougar08
11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
La Fiesta is great. No more Backyard Burgers anymore. Someone mentioned Zeb's. EXCELLENT choice and in China Spring as well. A bit out of the way to get to Waco ISD, but you can just make a big loop around Waco from 35 to get to WISD.

Daddy D 11
11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Seriously, if anyone gets to Waco before 6 we can go eat at Viteks. It's the best in Waco. Just let me know!

bleedsbabyblue
11-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by squid
I remember La Fiesta being pretty good, and not all that expensive. But the last time I ate there was in 2005.

Whats the name of the steakhouse out on 35 north of Waco? Seemed like it was a family name that started with an 'H'.....

Heitmiller's. No. 6 on the list I posted yesterday.

squid
11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
sorry, I missed that on your list. Ate there one time and really enjoyed it

formercougar18
12-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Double R is always a good choice, if you like a hole in the wall, its on 18th, and kitoks is a really good vietnamese burger joint that is also on 18th. Rudy's or texas roadhouse is always a good pick to. I dont know that people are saying about buzzard billy's being bad ive eaten at both of the locations its been at and i really like it. Hooters off 35 is always a solid choice. Pretty close to WISD also. I think im gonna make the trip since the stadium is like ten min from where i live.

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bleedsbabyblue
Heitmiller's. No. 6 on the list I posted yesterday.

Ate there last year on the way back from Midlothian after getting waxed by Celina. I thought the cuts of meat were amazing but didn't have alot of spices or anything on them. Very plain type of ribeye, but it was still pretty damn good. All the sides were awesome though. I still think if you want to drink a cold beer and eat some good food than Georges has got to be the place. JMO.

nobogey72
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Halestorm
Hooters mmmm

The last time I ate at Hooters in Waco the wings weren't all that great. BUT, the breasts and thighs were outstanding.:D :D

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
The last time I ate at Hooters in Waco the wings weren't all that great. BUT, the breasts and thighs were outstanding.:D :D

Too bad Abilene didn't have no hooters:mad:

ccmom
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM

How long ago was that? Are you allowed back in there yet? :doh:

;)

sahen
12-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Seriously, if anyone gets to Waco before 6 we can go eat at Viteks. It's the best in Waco. Just let me know!

you have no idea how luck you are...when i was at baylor it was only open weekdays 11-5....they actually closed down my last semester there, it was pretty depressing...i was so glad when they opened back up that they decided to be open on saturdays so I could go by and grab a gutpack a couple times a year during football season....i liked that wings place that was on that side of the highway too Wing Zone, i think....i would eat there and Viteks several times a week

i know its a chain but i always liked Cheddars in Waco...maybe because there is not one near me and thats the only time i eat there but its pretty good....the old Ryans in Waco was the best Ryans I ever ate at but i think it has changed to something else, me and my good friend would not eat anything all day and then go to Ryans and eat that steak buffet...good stuff....

La Fiestas food is ok, a little to pricey for the taste to me, but you cant beat their margaritas...just make sure you have someone else to drive if you want to drink more than one...

Pappa Rollos is pretty good too if you want a local place w/ some atmosphere...though I always felt like the mafia was probably scheming in some back room of the resturant...

of course, like everyone else on here, I recommend George's....great atmosphere, food, and drinks...

nobogey72
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
What is a gut pack?????

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
What is a gut pack?????

Seriously it's the greatest thing known to mankind.

It's fritos, shredded cheese, chopped brisket, chopped sausage, sauce, beans, jalepenos, pickles and onions. ALL THROWN INTO A BOWL!

It's awesome.

You come up on Saturday I will take you. What time is the Wylie game again?

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
you have no idea how luck you are...when i was at baylor it was only open weekdays 11-5....they actually closed down my last semester there, it was pretty depressing...i was so glad when they opened back up that they decided to be open on saturdays so I could go by and grab a gutpack a couple times a year during football season....i liked that wings place that was on that side of the highway too Wing Zone, i think....i would eat there and Viteks several times a week

i know its a chain but i always liked Cheddars in Waco...maybe because there is not one near me and thats the only time i eat there but its pretty good....the old Ryans in Waco was the best Ryans I ever ate at but i think it has changed to something else, me and my good friend would not eat anything all day and then go to Ryans and eat that steak buffet...good stuff....

La Fiestas food is ok, a little to pricey for the taste to me, but you cant beat their margaritas...just make sure you have someone else to drive if you want to drink more than one...

Pappa Rollos is pretty good too if you want a local place w/ some atmosphere...though I always felt like the mafia was probably scheming in some back room of the resturant...

of course, like everyone else on here, I recommend George's....great atmosphere, food, and drinks...

LOL everyone at Viteks knows my name I'm in there so much. I've made friends haha

La fiesta is alright, like you said the only thing that's great there is the margaritas. But I mean I wouldn't know :p :cool:

Sahen, you gonna make this one?

sahen
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
What is a gut pack?????

heaven in a styrofoam box.....

fritos, chopped beef, beans, cheese, bbq sauce...options: jalapenos, onions, pickles, and your choice of 5 different kinds of sausage, dont konw them all but i always got the homeade sausage (german seasoning)....all with your choice of a slice white or wheat bread...

i think that is all that is in it, someone correct me if im wrong...

nm i see someone beat me to it

sahen
12-01-2009, 11:49 AM
LOL everyone at Viteks knows my name I'm in there so much. I've made friends haha

La fiesta is alright, like you said the only thing that's great there is the margaritas. But I mean I wouldn't know :p :cool:

Sahen, you gonna make this one?

nah i only come up for the baylor games...waco is a 3 and a half hour drive from my place...i may come up for a basketball game something this year, but it'll be jan/feb if i do that...money isnt looking too good for it for now though, i burnt too much coming to watch us get killed after Griffin went down...

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 11:54 AM
nah i only come up for the baylor games...waco is a 3 and a half hour drive from my place...i may come up for a basketball game something this year, but it'll be jan/feb if i do that...money isnt looking too good for it for now though, i burnt too much coming to watch us get killed after Griffin went down...

Damn, yeah I had tickets to the OU game, the Aggie game and the Tech game and sold em all when RG3 went down. Only game I made was the UCONN game, which made me :mad: BTW.

Being during hunting season, it's hard to make myself go to games that Baylor really doesn't have a chance in ya know? I hate to admit that, but I had to pick the deer over the Bears.

sahen
12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
yah...it got really hard to justify spending the money on hotel/gas later in the year but since i have season tickets i always have trouble just not using them...i had fun anyway just not at the game...

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 12:06 PM
.i had fun anyway just not at the game...

You went to scruffs didn't you??

LMAO

sahen
12-01-2009, 12:07 PM
You went to scruffs didn't you??

LMAO

lol..havent been to scruffs since i was in school actually...im not the drinker now i used to be, but it was a good place to be back then....

Old Tiger
12-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/Picture026.jpg

Kind of like this guy. :D :D That guy is obviously better looking than myself.

garciap77
12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
What is a gut pack?????

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/gutpack.jpg

Deuce
12-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

Looks like a frito pie on steroids!

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Deuce
Looks like a frito pie on steroids!

I actually ate one for lunch today lol Everyone talking about them got me all excited.

Old Blue
12-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

I don't think I would be able to watch the whole game if I ate one of these.:( :o :( :o :D :D

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Old Blue
I don't think I would be able to watch the whole game if I ate one of these.:( :o :( :o :D :D

It will definitely put a hurting on you. I'm normally immobile for a good 3 hours after eating one. Right now I'm laid up in bed reading for a class and kind of nodding off.

Life is rough:p

sahen
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Old Blue

for the older folks you can get the small gut pack...same thing just in a single sandwich style styrofoam box...enough to fill you up and shouldnt make u run to the restroom in the middle of the 2nd quarter....(excuse me if this is what the picture is of, im at work so i cant see pictures, but im assuming its a pic of the large one)

as for now i can still eat the large one and get away with it...i will do so until i am unfortunately proved otherwise...however, i normally only go to viteks before games that are night games so i have some time to let the thing settle in my stomach...if it is an 11 AM game i just afterwards and sit around the hotel watching football...its a great tradition...

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm so stuffed from mine earlier.... It's bad.

yoe64
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Captain Billy Whizzbangs isn't bad either.

Daddy D 11
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by yoe64
Captain Billy Whizzbangs isn't bad either.

What in the world is that?