PDA

View Full Version : To All Gilmer Posters And Fans

OldBison75
11-28-2009, 09:42 PM
First I want to say what a great High School Football Game I witnessed today in Lufkin. Both my Navasota Rattlers and the Gilmer Buckeyes played a lights out game and it was back and forth from the opening kickoff. Very well played and overall very well officiated game. We had a couple of iffy calls and so did Gilmer, but in the long run they did not change the game in my opinion. Gilmer made the plays when they had to and that was the difference in the game. My Rattlers proved to everyone that when they are on they can play with anyone and have a chance to win. My heart goes out to the senior boys on this team as they have given thier heart and soul this year.

Now, to the Gilmer people, you were some of the loudest and classiest fans I have ever seen in a playoff game. Yes, you voiced some disagreement with a call or two, but once the next play started, it was back to being loud and rowdy. You guys and gals really come out to support your team and I love seeing that.

To the group of Gilmer fans that showed true class and appreciation by going to the side of the stands where the Rattler players were exiting the field after the game, they heard your cheers and congratulations and more than one made comments to me later that they really appreciated the opposition recognizing them.

I will say that I was disapointed that no one showed up to meet me under the scoreboard at halftime. I stayed there in my blue Rattler shirt for the entire half and had no takers. Sorry i did not get to meet you.

I have been told the game next week against Cuero is tentatively set for SHSU Bearcat Stadium in Huntsville. Let me know because I would love to come cheer the Buckeyes on.

XtremeCouture
11-28-2009, 09:44 PM
if you're cheering for gilmer you're not allowed. we only need cuero fans.

N4SIR
11-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75

I have been told the game next week against Cuero is tentatively set for SHSU Bearcat Stadium in Huntsville. Let me know because I would love to come cheer the Buckeyes on. [/B]
Game is definitley in Huntsville at SHSU Bearcat Stadium and your welcome on our side anytime. Sorry you got stood up for the M&G. As for the Gilmer fans, they really do turn out. I hear Cuero fans do to so the stadium ought to be packed next week. Can't wait. Saturday can't get here fast enough.

lulu
11-28-2009, 10:02 PM
First I want to say what a great High School Football Game I witnessed today in Lufkin. Both my Navasota Rattlers and the Gilmer Buckeyes played a lights out game and it was back and forth from the opening kickoff. Very well played and overall very well officiated game. We had a couple of iffy calls and so did Gilmer, but in the long run they did not change the game in my opinion. Gilmer made the plays when they had to and that was the difference in the game. My Rattlers proved to everyone that when they are on they can play with anyone and have a chance to win. My heart goes out to the senior boys on this team as they have given thier heart and soul this year.

Now, to the Gilmer people, you were some of the loudest and classiest fans I have ever seen in a playoff game. Yes, you voiced some disagreement with a call or two, but once the next play started, it was back to being loud and rowdy. You guys and gals really come out to support your team and I love seeing that.

To the group of Gilmer fans that showed true class and appreciation by going to the side of the stands where the Rattler players were exiting the field after the game, they heard your cheers and congratulations and more than one made comments to me later that they really appreciated the opposition recognizing them.

I will say that I was disapointed that no one showed up to meet me under the scoreboard at halftime. I stayed there in my blue Rattler shirt for the entire half and had no takers. Sorry i did not get to meet you.

I have been told the game next week against Cuero is tentatively set for SHSU Bearcat Stadium in Huntsville. Let me know because I would love to come cheer the Buckeyes on.

Sorry....I did not get to make the game today. Family first you know and we had unexpected arrivals. I would have been there.
But I see by the other poster that we can't meet next week.

lulu
11-28-2009, 10:04 PM
WaiT a minute...he can't tell us we can't meet just because we cheer for Gilmer. WE WILL IF WE WANT AND ARE THERE!!!!!!!!!

OldBison75
11-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Lulu, I hope to see you next week. I really wanna meet you and the Mr. I appreciate your love for the game.

lostaussie
11-28-2009, 11:00 PM

funny you mention this OB.as i exited the stadium the kids came across right in front of me. a gilmer fan behind me yelled at the kids about what a great game they had played and several of the kids acknoledged they heard him. at that point, for some reason i started clapping.............next thing i knew there were several hundred fans clapping for those kids. they desevered it and at that moment i was proud to be a buckeye. your kids played a whale of a game and they have nothing to hang their heads about:clap::clap:

44INAROW
11-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
funny you mention this OB.as i exited the stadium the kids came across right in front of me. a gilmer fan behind me yelled at the kids about what a great game they had played and several of the kids acknoledged they heard him. at that point, for some reason i started clapping.............next thing i knew there were several hundred fans clapping for those kids. they desevered it and at that moment i was proud to be a buckeye. your kids played a whale of a game and they have nothing to hang their heads about:clap::clap:

amen - to that :)

OldBison75
11-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Again, such a unplanned show of sportsmanship and appreciation to these kids made them feel better. This is what kids need to know, sometimes you lose and sometimes you win, but if you give your best, people will notice and appreciate your effort.

Simple Man
11-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the kind words old bison. It was a great game yesterday that could have been won by either team. I too thought both teams showed great sportmanship. Both teams fought hard to the end. It was a pleasure to watch Navasota play and hope to meet up again some day. Not sure what region Gilmer might be in after this year. They have always been in region 2 until now. It has been great the last 2 years watching some good region 3 teams play. Good luck to Navasota in the future.

OldBison75
11-29-2009, 11:00 AM
If any of you Gilmer people know BLACK FLAG--call him and tell him I would like his take on the game. I know he is a big fan and he really talked big all week. Just wondering how he rates Navasota and the game after yesterday. He was right, Gilmer won. But , what did he think of the Rattlers?

OldBison75
11-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I've been reading on Smiaky.com and am really shocked that some Gilmer people seem to be moaning about some officials calls. Let me say that i thought that the officials were overall pretty darn good. They let the teams play for the most part and only threw the flags when the call had a direct impact on the play being made. Like many others, I saw times when flags could have been thrown but were not. As for the questionable interference call against Gilmer late in the fourth quarter, I too was in a great position to see the play. The back judge made the call because the defensive back had one arm over the shoulder pad of the receiver as the ball approached. Call could have gone either way as the receiver then pushed off the defensive back.

Either way, that call was not the difference in the game. Gilmer made the plays to win and Navasota did not. The officials need to be commended for the game they called and letting the game be decided on the field and not by flags. There was no single call that had any effect on momentum and none that changed the game outcome. That is the best compliment you can give an officiating crew. By far the best officiated game the Rattlers have had all year in my opinion.

Win with honor and lose with honor.

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Blaming the refs has always been a temptation and a weakness of Gilmer fans.

I personally have never seen so many pass interference calls--and it was being called about equally against both sides--in one game in my life.

But I agree the officiating had no impact on the outcome. The crew was from Houston. I asked someone who knew because the Cuero head coach asked me if I knew. Most of the green-garbed Gobbler coaching staff made the trip to Lufkin and sat on the top row of the home side, where I already was.

What was amusing, and you'll appreciate this, OldBison75, is that before the game Coach Mark Reeve and his staff were obviously focusing and concentrating on the Gilmer players during the warmups. That changed a bit once it became apparent that either team might win.

I didn't talk smack beforehand, but I admit that Navasota was WAY better than I anticipated. I told the Cuero coaches that I couldn't believe the Rattlers didn't come into the game undefeated also.

OldBison75
11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Gilmus, this Navasota team was supposed to be in a year of transition after losing Pratt to Ok State, Jackson and Lamascus to A & M, and three others to smaller schools. They had a first year starter at QB and a whole new receiving corps. They placed thier hopes on a good offensive line and a group of linebackers that really came on at the end of last year.

During the year we saw them look invincible at times and very medicore at times. When they were good, they were very good, but they had some games where they were flat and not emotionally in the game. Against Silsbee, the teams matched up very well and the score reflected that. Against Gilmer, the matchups were equally good, but the Rattlers came into the game with the belief they could win and had something to prove. The played thier best game of the year and had a chance to pull off the win with less that a quarter to play, that is all you can ask of your team.

I am very proud today to be a Rattler fan and very proud of the boys that played the game. They walked off the field in Lufkin having left thier hearts and souls on the field. This day it was not in victory except for the victory of knowing you performed to the best of your ability. Congratulations to the Buckeyes and I hope I get the chance to meet you at Huntsville next week. I will be wearing my Rattler Blue proudly.

HEMOTOXIC
11-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Just to add to what OLDBISON75 and most of you have already said, this game was great on all levels. I have to give it to Gilmer, the fans, the band, etc. The Band sure knew when to make alot of noise. Yes, their were a few questionable penalties, but, as stated before, I don't believe that they had a big effect on the outcome on the game. For the 3rd year in a row, the team that Navasota has lost to in the Quarters (Liberty Hill, La Vega, now Gilmer), has gone on to win the state championship or play for the championship. I don't think that Gilmer will be any different.

Good Luck to Gilmer and Cuero. I may be able to make this game with it being so close next Saturday.

Go Bucks!

navscanmaster
11-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Just to add to what OLDBISON75 and most of you have already said, this game was great on all levels. I have to give it to Gilmer, the fans, the band, etc. The Band sure knew when to make alot of noise. Yes, their were a few questionable penalties, but, as stated before, I don't believe that they had a big effect on the outcome on the game. For the 3rd year in a row, the team that Navasota has lost to in the Quarters (Liberty Hill, La Vega, now Gilmer), has gone on to win the state championship or play for the championship. I don't think that Gilmer will be any different.

Good Luck to Gilmer and Cuero. I may be able to make this game with it being so close next Saturday.

Go Bucks!

You are right, and I hope that one year soon, WE will be the buzzsaw!

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2009, 03:26 PM
I have just found in my research that Thomas Sweed is INDEED a cousin of the famed Limas Sweed.

Where is he headed at the next level? Certainly someone must be interested.

BuckeyeNut
11-29-2009, 04:12 PM
If any of you Gilmer people know BLACK FLAG--call him and tell him I would like his take on the game. I know he is a big fan and he really talked big all week. Just wondering how he rates Navasota and the game after yesterday. He was right, Gilmer won. But , what did he think of the Rattlers?

I'M HERE AND THAT WAS A GREAT GAME. Big O-line wow. Sorry about not comming the to score board some how I had camara duty while my wife went to the bathroom. I have 3 nieces doing there thing during half time. Good game, and tell me was the clapping loud?