View Full Version : DI Semi-Finals GotW: Cuero/Gilmer

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Superbacker 00'
12-01-2009, 08:25 AM
although i havent seen the gobblers i have seen the buckeyes and gotta givce the nod to gobbs because i did watch the sealy needville game and thought sealy was explosive and their running game i think is better than gilmers but gilmer makes NO mistakes so.....
Curreo 42
Gilmer 41:clap:

Superbacker 00'
12-01-2009, 08:27 AM
I do think whoever wins this one wins state:thinking:

waterboy
12-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Gilmer will WIN this game. It oughta be a thriller, though. Probably won't be decided till the 4th quarter...... Unfortunately, I have to work and will not be able to make the game.:(

Members of the Army of Buckeyes who read this need to make twice the noise they usually make just to make up for my absence.:clap:

Aesculus gilmus
12-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Blue42
I think the piney woods has skewed your vision and sense of reality;)

Hey, overall I'd say we have way better vision than the folks in the wide open spaces.

We HAVE to, or we'd be constantly running into trees. :vrycnfsd:

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Hey, overall I'd say we have way better vision than the folks in the wide open spaces.

We HAVE to, or we'd be constantly running into trees. :vrycnfsd:

That does make sense...

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Cool, So when we beat your ass............Then will you come back on here?

There ant going to be ass beatin othe than your ride back home crying.

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Sounds like you want to get in real bad in the 4th........what do the starters think?

Hmm I did may playing long time ago. So go and think up something else.:D :D

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
Any news on the status of Tristan Holt, Gus Osborne, Vance Grean yet?

York is saying they will be ready to go.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 09:54 AM
:confused:

forum_guy
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
i will be at the game rooting for the Gobblers but i think some people are a little delusional for saying Cuero by 2 td's. Haven't seen Gilmer play but they have to be #1 for a reason.

OldBison75
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Flag, be careful about those bold predictions--last week you said nearly the same thing about Navasota. Matter of fact, you insinuated that Navasota would only score against the band or something like that. That was wrong and your prediction for this week will be wrong. Cuero will score on the first team defense and probably score at least 28. I just think that the Gilmer offense will score at least 35.

The biggest difference in these two teams in my mind is that Gilmer will not give up the big play and will make Cuero work for every point. Cuero, on the other hand, has been prone to giving up a few big plays and Gilmer will capitalize on those opportunities. This is one game where Cuero can't afford to give up a big play and come back, because the Buckeyes will not only take the play, but once they take the momentum they just keep on rolling and get bigger and tougher.

rojosgirl
12-01-2009, 10:47 AM
WOW - 18 pages! Wonder what we'll be up to by game time?

FYI -- Cuero will have 2 touchdowns in the 1st quarter. And they won't stop there! Not sure what the Bucs will have, but I know they will get theirs too.

Lots on the line. A HUGE game for both teams. High-powered offenses and tough defenses. Team with the least turnovers wins.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Flag, be careful about those bold predictions--last week you said nearly the same thing about Navasota. Matter of fact, you insinuated that Navasota would only score against the band or something like that. That was wrong and your prediction for this week will be wrong. Cuero will score on the first team defense and probably score at least 28. I just think that the Gilmer offense will score at least 35.

The biggest difference in these two teams in my mind is that Gilmer will not give up the big play and will make Cuero work for every point. Cuero, on the other hand, has been prone to giving up a few big plays and Gilmer will capitalize on those opportunities. This is one game where Cuero can't afford to give up a big play and come back, because the Buckeyes will not only take the play, but once they take the momentum they just keep on rolling and get bigger and tougher.

I did not say anything about the band other than i was watching my three nieces do there thing. I did say that the DEFENSE was going to be to fast, and I was right. Cuero is going to have the same problem that yall had. They are smaller and not as fast as yall are.

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
WOW - 18 pages! Wonder what we'll be up to by game time?

FYI -- Cuero will have 2 touchdowns in the 1st quarter. And they won't stop there! Not sure what the Bucs will have, but I know they will get theirs too.

Lots on the line. A HUGE game for both teams. High-powered offenses and tough defenses. Team with the least turnovers wins.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You might one but thenthe Buckeyes Coachs will make there changes and that will stop.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Black Flag
They are smaller and not as fast as yall are.

Yep, I agree with that, no way around it...

Just remember LH... not as fast as you guys when they handled you a couple of years back... we've beaten faster teams (Sealy, Bay City)... I'd argue Sealy was just as big if not bigger than us, Bay City is always bigger all-around than us...

I still think it's gunna be hard for Cuero to beat Gilmer, but I'd never say I'm certain of that... hope you guys are though :D

Buckeye1980
12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
OK , I am back at work, for some reason my home computer will not connect to DownLow, had my heart procedure done last Tuesday and was all set to listen to Navasota game on net , when I passed out and had to go to ER (blood pressure dropped to 78/40 ( it was not heart related and I am now fine ) My wife got upsetwith me in the ER because I kept askin to find out score .

Now on to this week.... Like LostAussie said this will be one for the ages . When you think 3A football, you think Cuero and now Gilmer has made their name . No pick from me cause you know who I want to win . It is NOT "just as game", it is THE GAME ! until next week and I hope the Buckeyes are a part of next week!

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
My wife got upsetwith me in the ER because I kept askin to find out score .

ha you're a hardcore fan... hope you're all fixed up and done with the problems...

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2009, 11:24 AM
OK , I am back at work, for some reason my home computer will not connect to DownLow, had my heart procedure done last Tuesday and was all set to listen to Navasota game on net , when I passed out and had to go to ER (blood pressure dropped to 78/40 ( it was not heart related and I am now fine ) My wife got upsetwith me in the ER because I kept askin to find out score .

Now on to this week.... Like LostAussie said this will be one for the ages . When you think 3A football, you think Cuero and now Gilmer has made their name . No pick from me cause you know who I want to win . It is NOT "just as game", it is THE GAME ! until next week and I hope the Buckeyes are a part of next week!

Glade your back and going again. And yes ETEX has a problem getting on the DOWNLOW. I had the same problem

44INAROW
12-01-2009, 11:35 AM

glad you're back and better than ever.. you gonna make the pre-game festivities?

waterboy
12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow! 93-62 in favor of Cuero........that 50% more votes for the Gobblers than for the Buckeyes.:confused: Looks like Gilmer is the underdog in this one......:thinking: I guess y'all think that Gilmer's #1 ranking is bogus.......hmmmm. We shall see......;) The Buckeyes WILL win this game, in my opinion. I don't care if it's by 60 points or 1 point, a win is a win.:p

GO BUCKEYES! KILL DEM TURKEYS!

44INAROW
12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by waterboy

GO BUCKEYES! KILL DEM TURKEYS! :eek: :eek:

headhunter
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Gilmers is the favorite no doubt. The 3adownlow poll is fan related and is full of bias thoughts. This just proves there is more Cuero fans on the downlow.

Gilmer has to be the favorite, they have averaged 53+ points per game this year, they have 4 players that are going to play for D1 programs. They are undeafeated and have held the #1 ranking all year. So if I was an odds maker I would put the gameline at:

Gilmer -7.5
Over/Under 79.5

Mean Green Fan
12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
Gilmers is the favorite no doubt. The 3adownlow poll is fan related and is full of bias thoughts. This just proves there is more Cuero fans on the downlow.

Gilmer has to be the favorite, they have averaged 53+ points per game this year, they have 4 players that are going to play for D1 programs. They are undeafeated and have held the #1 ranking all year. So if I was an odds maker I would put the gameline at:

Gilmer -7.5
Over/Under 79.5 :iagree:

waterboy
12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
:iagree:
+1 :clap:

XtremeCouture
12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
my line is -13.5 for gilmer. The score should be about 49-35

Buckeye1980
12-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
glad you're back and better than ever.. you gonna make the pre-game festivities?

Sorry to say I will not be able to make game, but will be there in heart (use that word loosley these days!) and soul. Doc has told me to remain as stress free as possible for the next couple weeks . But will listening be any less stressful than being there? That is a good question . I will be in Austin for the next couple days for work and by stayn home to listen wil be more family time

waterboy
12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
my line is -13.5 for gilmer. The score should be about 49-35
Hmmmm......:thinking: .......I like the way you think!:clap: Your line looks better than headhunter's.:cool: I hope you're right, too!;)

Mojado
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
I'll take Gilmer -7.5 and Under 79.5 and parlay them both please...

gobblerfan34
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
heart, determination, and teamwork cannot be measured in some fancy stat, those three things will decide this game

GO MEAN GREEN TO VICTORY

CUERO 46
GILMER 35

44INAROW
12-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan34
heart, determination, and teamwork cannot be measured in some fancy stat, those three things will decide this game

GO MEAN GREEN TO VICTORY

CUERO 46
GILMER 35

That sounds good :)

One Team, One Town, One Goal :)

waterboy
12-01-2009, 03:13 PM

GO MEAN GREEN TO VICTORY

CUERO 46
GILMER 35
Do you seriously think Cuero will be able to put up 46 points on the Black Flag Defense?:eek: IF Cuero wins, I would think they would have to hold Gilmer to less than 35. That's just my opinion. Of course, I'm a homer, too, but I still think Gilmer will win this game. It could be by 1 point, or by 21, who knows, but I still think the Buckeyes will prevail.:clap:

You hear that, Buckeyes? The Gobblers say they will put up 46 points on ya!:eek: If I were on the Black Flag Defense, I'd consider that a challenge!:cool:

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Do you seriously think Cuero will be able to put up 46 points on the Black Flag Defense?:eek: IF Cuero wins, I would think they would have to hold Gilmer to less than 35. That's just my opinion. Of course, I'm a homer, too, but I still think Gilmer will win this game. It could be by 1 point, or by 21, who knows, but I still think the Buckeyes will prevail.:clap:

You hear that, Buckeyes? The Gobblers say they will put up 46 points on ya!:eek: If I were on the Black Flag Defense, I'd consider that a challenge!:cool:

'cos there were no challenges to Cuero in this reply lol

garciap77
12-01-2009, 03:25 PM

I think the Gobblers will put at least 65 points if not more on the Buckeyes!:D

J/K I like both teams, so I'm not going to pick one way or the other! If Wylie wins!!!!!! And Gilmer wins, I would like to have another shot at Glimer! If Wylie wins!!!! And Cuero wins, I would like to give Cuero another shot to beat!

Good Luck to both teams!

WILDGOBBLERCAT
12-01-2009, 03:44 PM

GO MEAN GREEN TO VICTORY

CUERO 46
GILMER 35

So I guess what you're trying to say is, we're going to miss 3 extra points. Do be such a pessimist. :)

Should be one heck of a game.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Do you seriously think Cuero will be able to put up 46 points on the Black Flag Defense?

Actually it's not that insane I guess...

Going into the game vs. The Black Flag defense, Navasota's scoring average was 33 points a game, they scored two more points on Gilmer than they were averaging, 35...

Going into the game vs. The Black Flag defense, Cuero's scoring average is 43.8 a game (we will say 44)... so we round 43.8 up to 44 and add the two points Gilmer let Navasota add on their average and that puts Cuero at 46...

waterboy
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Actually it's not that insane I guess...

Going into the game vs. The Black Flag defense, Navasota's scoring average was 33 points a game, they scored two more points on Gilmer than they were averaging, 35...

Going into the game vs. The Black Flag defense, Cuero's scoring average is 43.8 a game (we will say 44)... so we round 43.8 up to 44 and add the two points Gilmer let Navasota add on their average and that puts Cuero at 46...
:thinking: So using your logic........Gilmer is averaging 53.6 points per game, so that means the Buckeyes would still win (if we round up :D ) 54-46! I like that!;)

Look, I'm not saying it can't happen, but I just don't see it happening. It'll likely be a shootout, but I don't see the Buckeyes giving up that many points. We shall see.......:cool:

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 04:23 PM
:thinking: So using your logic........Gilmer is averaging 53.6 points per game, so that means the Buckeyes would still win (if we round up :D ) 54-46! I like that!;)

No... seeing how Gilmer scored 12 points below average last week we just don't know...

lostaussie
12-01-2009, 04:34 PM
:thinking: does that mean that Gilmer has no heart, determination or teamwork? We have worked just as lon and hard as you guys, so don't pull out that card!!

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
:thinking: does that mean that Gilmer has no heart, determination or teamwork?

Exactly :p

waterboy
12-01-2009, 04:43 PM
No... seeing how Gilmer scored 12 points below average last week we just don't know...
So, what you're saying is Navasota wasn't as good of a team. The Rattlers played lights out, and they deserve credit for that. Don't assume that they couldn't have done the same to the Gobblers. The Rattlers we're not as consistent during the year, and I firmly believe that the week off (bye week) after the regular season helped them get healthier and recharge. I know that in '04 when we won state, we had a bye week at the end of the regular season and I KNOW it made a difference. It hard to gauge these two teams, the Buckeyes and the Gobblers, because they don't have any common opponents, but I can say that this will be a REAL test for both teams.:clap:

gobble_up03
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
GOOOOO MEEAANNNN GREEEEEEN!

gobblerfan34
12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
:thinking: does that mean that Gilmer has no heart, determination or teamwork? We have worked just as lon and hard as you guys, so don't pull out that card!!

just meant that stats won't decide the game

never said who had more heart, determination, or teamwork

i am sure we all think our respective teams do

GO MEAN GREEN

hookandladder
12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I do not think Gilmer has faced a team that has a QB and RB as good as Cuero, this will be a high scoring game. I will go with Cuero- 49 and Gilmer 28, Tyler and Trent and Cuero's FB will be to much for Gilmer to contain.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
haha wow... I said Navasota wasn't as good of a team? as good of a team as who?

44INAROW
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I do not think Gilmer has faced a team that has a QB and RB as good as Cuero, this will be a high scoring game. I will go with Cuero- 49 and Gilmer 28, Tyler and Trent and Cuero's FB will be to much for Gilmer to contain.

;)

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I will go with Cuero- 49 and Gilmer 28, Tyler and Trent and Cuero's FB will be to much for Gilmer to contain.

I dunno man, holding Gilmer anywhere under 35 would be amazing to me... would have to have some turnovers in there somewhere...

We've seen the speed and size of Gilmer, we just haven't seen great execution added to it like we'll see Sat Night... we're about to get a fight...

12thMan
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM

Why not pull that card. All we keep hearing is how the KR is going to run all over us and the QB is going to throw all over us. Stats don't mean a thing if you cant put a W in the win column.

Oh yea, how that pink, I mean, black flag defense will shut down the gobblers.

Gobbler's will find a way to win this game. May not be pretty, but a win is a win. Throw the stats out, who cares what Gilmer's play makers have done, you still have to play the game to win.

One team, One town, One goal!!

Unity!

Leadership!

Those are stats Cuero has racked up!!

hookandladder
12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I dunno man, holding Gilmer anywhere under 35 would be amazing to me... would have to have some turnovers in there somewhere...

We've seen the speed and size of Gilmer, we just haven't seen great execution added to it like we'll see Sat Night... we're about to get a fight...

Turnover's will be the key, I think Tyler will take better care of the ball. He is like a field general out there, could be wrong but I am very impressed with the way Tyler controls the game.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Turnover's will be the key, I think Tyler will take better care of the ball. He is like a field general out there, could be wrong but I am very impressed with the way Tyler controls the game.

he is that, doesn't panic at all... we'll see though, lotta talent on the other side of that ball... I think we'll do a good job out there, just not sure about a positive result...

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 12thMan
Why not pull that card. All we keep hearing is how the KR is going to run all over us and the QB is going to throw all over us. Stats don't mean a thing if you cant put a W in the win column.

Oh yea, how that pink, I mean, black flag defense will shut down the gobblers.

Gobbler's will find a way to win this game. May not be pretty, but a win is a win. Throw the stats out, who cares what Gilmer's play makers have done, you still have to play the game to win.

Bleh, we can't get into all of that stuff... talk is talk... don't worry about what anyone says about their playmakers running all over us, shutting us down etc... they're either going to or they're not going to...

we gotta show up and give 'em hell all the same...

12thMan
12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Bleh, we can't get into all of that stuff... talk is talk... don't worry about what anyone says about their playmakers running all over us, shutting us down etc... they're either going to or they're not going to...

we gotta show up and give 'em hell all the same...

Oh we will. Gobblers will give Gilmer all they want.

Go Mean Green!!!

Green Bling
12-01-2009, 05:09 PM

OMG, B1980, a little perspective,please! Some would say that it's only a game. We hardcores know that isn't true, but health first. Stay well so you can enjoy many more.

:D

waterboy
12-01-2009, 05:13 PM
haha wow... I said Navasota wasn't as good of a team? as good of a team as who?
You were the one making the comparisons, and you added what Navasota did during the regular season as opposed to what they did against Gilmer. Yes, I'd say that's an assumption. It doesn't matter. You're comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. What other comparisons do you have? Just curious.;)

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
You were the one making the comparisons, and you added what Navasota did during the regular season as opposed to what they did against Gilmer. Yes, I'd say that's an assumption. It doesn't matter. You're comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. What other comparisons do you have? Just curious.;)

Okay... I said Navasota scored 2 points above their season average against Gilmer... I also said Gilmer scored 12 points below their season average against Navasota... I'm just wondering where you pulled "so you're saying navasota wasn't as good of a team" out of that... if anything I would be saying Gilmer wasn't as good of a team as I thought based on that information...

But to clear things, it was all in fun... there is no way to predict what Cuero will score against a defense based on how many points above average Navasota scored against that same defense...

I've been taken seriously again:p

waterboy
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Okay, Navasota was better than their season average against Gilmer, and Gilmer didn't score their average. What's that got to do with Cuero? You are "assuming" that Cuero is better than Navasota, just because y'all average more points. I hate to break this to ya, but that theory doesn't hold water. Without common opponents, there's no way to "assume" anything. This will be a good contest that could go in any of a number of directions. It could surprise a lot of people and be a low-scoring game.:eek: I don't think it will........just saying......:thinking:

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm not going to reply to the fact that Gobbla2001 said he wasn't being serious, and I will actually argue with Gobbla2001 using what seems to be his own points just so I can argue

Have it your way, man...

gobble_up03
12-01-2009, 05:31 PM
riiight....

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Maybe it'll help if I repost what I said:

But to clear things, it was all in fun... there is no way to predict what Cuero will score against a defense based on how many points above average Navasota scored against that same defense...

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Just get ready for #34 to be putting the QB and RB on there ends all night long. Speed on the DEFENSE is unreal and I am sure you have never seen a Defense as fast as the one your going to see Saturday.

waterboy
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I really have my doubts about beating Gilmer. I really wanna believe, but....
Uh, huh, I get it.....;)

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Uh, huh, I get it.....;)

haha... if you pull up my serious posts on this topic, you'll find I'm leaning toword Gilmer taking this one... coulda just quoted one of those...

12thMan
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Just get ready for #34 to be putting the QB and RB on there ends all night long. Speed on the DEFENSE is unreal and I am sure you have never seen a Defense as fast as the one your going to see Saturday.

Yea, I'm sure you haven't seen Cuero much this year! We will see at the game what happens. All that smoke your blowing is worthless. Show me on the field Saturday.

Either way, this will be a great game.

Go Mean Green

waterboy
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
haha... if you pull up my serious posts on this topic, you'll find I'm leaning toword Gilmer taking this one... coulda just quoted one of those...
I know........... I can do that, too. I just don't think there's any justifiable comparisons that can be made with these two teams. It beats the heck out of me how they will match up, but I like the Buckeyes' chances.;)

HEMOTOXIC
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Cuero has dominated region 4 for years, so that 44 ppg avg means nothing. Put them in D24/D25, etc. the Gobblers would not have avg 44 points per game. No way The Gobblers will score 44 points on Saturday. I wish that we had won so we could have shown Cuero who the Rattlers are, again.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Put them in D24/D25, etc. the Gobblers would not have avg 44 points per game.

probably not, though we did hang 53 on D25's undefeated champ, and another 50+ on 'em the previous year...

HEMOTOXIC
12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
probably not, though we did hang 53 on D25's undefeated champ, and another 50+ on 'em the previous year...

True. We beat them 45-0 last year our selves.

HEMOTOXIC
12-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I think that the score will be some where around 32-28 range. I think that the defenses will step up big time.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
I wish that we had won so we could have shown Cuero who the Rattlers are, again.

72 - Cuero 17-6
73 - Cuero 49-7
88 - Cuero 8-7 (first football game I ever remember seeing, was 5)
89 - Navasota 52-6

y'all have the last one...

GreenMachine
12-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Cuero has dominated region 4 for years, so that 44 ppg avg means nothing. Put them in D24/D25, etc. the Gobblers would not have avg 44 points per game. No way The Gobblers will score 44 points on Saturday. I wish that we had won so we could have shown Cuero who the Rattlers are, again. Let's see, Cuero hung 50+ on the D-25 champion so you don't know what Cuero would avg. in D-24 or D-25.

Maroon87
12-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

Gilmer -7.5
Over/Under 79.5

Sometimes, that doesn't equate to victory...it's who is better for 48 minutes on Saturday night.

For example:

http://www.caller.com/news/2005/dec/11/wildcats-stun-cubs-for-a-shot-at-4a-title/

sinfan75
12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm picking Cuero by 7. Ain't goin against my favorite Turkeys.:D

N4SIR
12-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Reading through these 22 pages I have read more than once that the Cuero defense is suseptible to the big play --- somethong Giilmer is extremely good at pulling off. If that is true then Gilmer wins this one by at least 14.

SintonFan
12-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm gonna go and pick the Gooblers to win by 4. Why? Because they are real good and knocked off a very good Ingleside team pretty handily. Ohh, and while I may be a little biased, I really really do think Cuero can pull out the win.
Go Gooblers!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

lostaussie
12-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I'm gonna go and pick the Gooblers to win by 4. Why? Because they are real good and knocked off a very good Ingleside team pretty handily. Ohh, and while I may be a little biased, I really really do think Cuero can pull out the win.
Go Gooblers!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :doh:Gooblers:D

makita_6
12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Go Mean Green...cant wait till saturday...gonna be a great game...and i know cuero can win this!!!

gobbler grad
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
it's gonna be real cold...bring your snuggies...:eek:

greenpride
12-01-2009, 09:34 PM

Speed unreal.....saw the game Saturday and I would say the speed is about the same as Cuero. Also saw 2 of 3 down lineman that might be fast but fast usually doesn't work against a very active offensive line like Cuero's, which is really similar to Gilmer's.......I guess all this talking doesn't amount to anything.....it's the game that matters!

headhunter
12-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Sometimes, that doesn't equate to victory...it's who is better for 48 minutes on Saturday night.

For example:

http://www.caller.com/news/2005/dec/11/wildcats-stun-cubs-for-a-shot-at-4a-title/

I am not saying who is going to win, I am just stating the FACT that the Buckeyes deserve the #1 ranking and will be the favorite. I do not need to make a prediction, I feel that the team that wins the game will be the one who executes the best on offense and who will make the one or two game changing defensive plays. Both teams are capable of winning. It will come down to exploiting match-ups, play calling schemes and all the little things.

I post every week what the FACTS are, this week the Gobblers will be the underdog. That doesn't mean they can't win. Go read my earliest post on page 2 or 3

gobbler84
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
it's gonna be real cold...bring your snuggies...:eek:

Yeah, that would be the only thing keeping me from making this one. The season is over, but the cold would definately keep me home. Once it drops under 40, I'm calling it quits. Which reminds me of the Cuero/China Springs game in 07. That was the coldest game I ever played in/ever been to.

SintonFan
12-01-2009, 10:39 PM
:doh:Gooblers:D

It's earned.
Us Pie-rats have taken our fair share of abuse.;) :D

crabman
12-01-2009, 11:20 PM
The one thing I do not want to hear after this game, regardless of outcome, is that one team wanted it worse than the other. What a bunch of crap. Both teams have been going at it for 17 or 18 weeks. Neither team got here by mistake. To say that one group of kids wants it worse is to belittle the other. This is also a statement that cannot be proven so keep that saying off this board.

I made this point in 2004 when AW beat Cuero in the final. Some idiot fan from AW said that they just wanted it worse. Garbage.

One thing I have also observed over the years is that by the time you get to the finals the teams are scoring at about half their season average. Both teams get incredibly focused and play lights out. Don't be surprised if it is 21-17 or 24-21.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by crabman
The one thing I do not want to hear after this game, regardless of outcome, is that one team wanted it worse than the other. What a bunch of crap. Both teams have been going at it for 17 or 18 weeks. Neither team got here by mistake. To say that one group of kids wants it worse is to belittle the other. This is also a statement that cannot be proven so keep that saying off this board.

I made this point in 2004 when AW beat Cuero in the final. Some idiot fan from AW said that they just wanted it worse. Garbage.

One thing I have also observed over the years is that by the time you get to the finals the teams are scoring at about half their season average. Both teams get incredibly focused and play lights out. Don't be surprised if it is 21-17 or 24-21.

Damn good assessment.

Maroon87
12-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by crabman

:iagree:

easttexas3a
12-02-2009, 12:30 AM
This game will not come down to heart, determination, and want too, because both teams will have it.

It will come down to turnovers, penalties, and who makes the fewest mental errors.

I think Gilmer will come out with a W, I don't care how they do it. I don't see the game being too low scoring, but I do not see it going into the 50's either. I was thinking 35-28. But we shall see. I just hope the buckeyes are 100% come game time, and that they play their best. When Gilme ris at their best they are very hard to beat, but their B and C games are very beatable, especially with a team like Cuero.

Cuero scares me because they seem balanced, we all know they will be well coached and won't make many mistakes, and they also have been just plain old whippin people.

gobblerfan34
12-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by WILDGOBBLERCAT
So I guess what you're trying to say is, we're going to miss 3 extra points. Do be such a pessimist. :)

Should be one heck of a game.

6 touchdowns and 2 safeties

as long as we have one more point at the end of the game

GO MEAN GREEN

rojosgirl
12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Gosh - it's hard to believe that so many people will go out on a limb and predict things they have no control over. And with such passion! Sounds pretty foolish to me. What I do know is that this game will be a barn-burner - a game for the ages!

At this time of year, the teams left standing deserve to be where they are. They have all worked hard and they all WANT to win the big game. They have great fans and their coaches have prepared them well.

Comparing apples to oranges only makes sense if you're making fruit salad. This semifinal game will pit two great football teams with winning tradions against each other. Throw out all the stats, wipe the slate clean, and get ready for Texas football at its finest!

Safe travels to all the Cuero and Gilmer fans heading out to the game on Saturday. I'm praying for an injury-free game for all.

GO GOBBLERS!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mean Green Fan
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
GO MEAN GREEN!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbla2001
12-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
Yeah, that would be the only thing keeping me from making this one. The season is over, but the cold would definately keep me home. Once it drops under 40, I'm calling it quits. Which reminds me of the Cuero/China Springs game in 07. That was the coldest game I ever played in/ever been to.

KJ... how the hell have you been? you startin' next year? you big sob!

44INAROW
12-02-2009, 02:19 PM

he played some FB last weekend.. looked good :)

gobble_up03
12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey Gobblers!

Don't forget about the pep rally Friday on Main Street in Cuero!

6:30 pm!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Spread It Out
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Cuero better get their kicking game in order, that could cost them against a good team like Gilmer.

easttexas3a
12-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Friend of mine went to the gilmer booster lunching or whatever it is called, they showed like 15 minutes of film, said it was from all opponets, kind of a highlight type of deal.

His impressions were that cuero is medium size, has a few very fast kids but "avg" speed overall. Said they looked to be very disciplined, and run a ton of different formations on offense. Said the QB and RB were what they have been built up as but thought the defense looked average. One thing everyon noticed he said was that Cuero goes both ways with 6 or 7 kids.

Two things scare me, and two things make me excited.

1. Gilmer does very well against teams who have kids going both ways cause they just play so fast, the ball is snapped before the play clock gets to 20 on most plays.

2. Gilmer does very well against teams who have so so defense and a good offense because we can usually keep pace with a good O, and our D can usually make a few key stops.

1. I am worried that we will be facing two of the most tallented players we have all year, and they will both be on the Offense for Cuero. Gilmer is years past has struggled with good running game, and can sometimes overload the box to stop it giving up long passes. This happened vs. LE this year.

2. I always worry about a team that is well disciplined and wont make many mistakes.

Any Cuero Fans acctually get a chance to see us on youtube or osme of the other places, I would figure you guys have seen some things that are worrisome and some things that you feel u can exploit, I would be curious to hear yalls ideas.

makita_6
12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
i would have to say that the main thing that would worry me about playing gilmer is there quick pace offence...i have only seen a few hightlight reels, but it seems they run a no huddle most of the time...i believe this could cause cuero some trouble having to play some of their players both ways. i have only seen a couple of cueros games this year, but after seeing the ingleside game i also worry about our pass defense...the no huddle, matched with the QB and the spread offense gilmer has could cause some fits for cueros secondary

having said all this i think cuero has an outstanding offense as well with two of the best players i have seen in tyler arndt and trent jackson...i think our offense can put up some points and it is going to come down to which defense can make the clutch stop(s)

I'll be at the game and pulling for my hometown Gobblers

GO MEAN GREEN

Tsip85
12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I have no horse in this race, but it looks like this will be a hell of a game! I haven't seen wither team play this year, but I know they are both loaded. not sure who I'd want to pick. After reading all these posts, I'd have to pull for Cuero, 'cause that's who I'd rather play in the Finals.:cool:

Ranger Mom
12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I have to admit to being surprised by these poll results, I thought Gilmer would be the favorite in this game.

What are the "other" polls saying??

Tsip85
12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Cuero goes into this game as the under dog. There's just a few more Cuero fans on this board. All the Gilmer fanbase is over on the smoaky forums. They certainly have a much different take on this game!!

easttexas3a
12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I think most of the polls are based on a regional thing. Most of the East Texas people pick Gilmer, most South Texas pick Cuero. I think after that its a crap shoot. Also I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with demographics, if demographically ur school is closer to that of Cuero you tend to pull for them, and vice versa. See a lot of West Texas people pulling for Cuero, lots of Dallas and Houston area people pulling for gilmer.

I just hope both teams play up to full potential, lot of pressure on 16 17 and 18 yearold boys. This is the type of game where I am glad my playing days were over 10 years ago. Those boys will be hyped up unbelievably with 15,000 people at this game. Hopefully the cold won't scare off the out siders from coming to watch.

waterboy
12-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I think demographics play a role in who people pick, too, as per example: the votes on Smoaky.com have Gilmer favored 119-39, while 3Adownlow has Cuero favored 105-70 currently. I also think that some of those votes are from people who are pulling for the underdog, and some are just "wanting" a certain team to lose, while others are just "wanting" a certain team to win for one reason or another. Kinda redundant, but it's true.;) Some are pretty confident in their pick......and rightly so with both programs being tradition-rich, but the truth is we won't know how these teams will match up until the showdown in "H" town.:D

I can't wait! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this game.:( I have to work......:mad:

Tsip85
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with demographics, if demographically ur school is closer to that of Cuero you tend to pull for them, and vice versa.

unless you'll be playing one of the other! Like I said, I'm pulling for Cuero. However, i think Gilmer will win.

Pawdaddy
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
How many times have I read that Cuero has a history this year of giving up the big plays? Well, if only half of those posts are right, this will be a long night for the Gobblers. This 2009 Gilmer Buckeye team is the definition of the big play. It may come on an 80 yard screen, a 1 yard QB draw for a first, or a converted 3rd, or 4th down, keeping a ball control drive alive. The Bucks have the offense to go over the top, and will, or pound a defense as they did Navasota in the 4th quarter.

Gilmer 54 Cuero 24

lostaussie
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
This thread has kind of slowed down and i for one am glad. As i have said on several occasions, I have always wanted to play the Gobblers. Tradition, tradition, tradition!!! when we really exploded on the scene in 2003 I vividly remember the
bobcats of Celina. I thought " oh my God" we have reached the pinnacle of high school football. I have followed football a long time and know about "the teams". Hit list started............bulldogs, both jasper and wylie, mustangs of WOS all vanquished. Panthers of Liberty Hill, wanted them too.............just got a little bigger dose than we could handle:D hope soon to get another shot. others on the hit list include for me Wimberly, Sealy, Brownwood and Decatur. But for now I'll take number 1 on my list..............the Gobblers. Come saturday i will strike another off the list.............and if you can't get excited for this one you know nothing about Texas High School Football, its the Buckeyes and the Gobblers for gosh sakes.................IT'S THE FREAKING GOBBLERS.............I'm stoked!!!!!

GreenMachine
12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
How many times have I read that Cuero has a history this year of giving up the big plays? Well, if only half of those posts are right, this will be a long night for the Gobblers. This 2009 Gilmer Buckeye team is the definition of the big play. It may come on an 80 yard screen, a 1 yard QB draw for a first, or a converted 3rd, or 4th down, keeping a ball control drive alive. The Bucks have the offense to go over the top, and will, or pound a defense as they did Navasota in the 4th quarter.

Gilmer 54 Cuero 24 54-24... I believe you are living in a dream world. This game will be MUCH closer than that.

warrior12
12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Gobblers +3

CueroDad08
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I have sat back the first few days just to read the reaction to these two teams. Gilmer is the number one team in the state for a reason. They are loaded on both sides of the ball. They will be very tuff to upset. But what so many people dont realize is these kids from Cuero are something very special. This was going to be Cuero's year to rebuild after so many Sr's were lost last year on both sides of the ball. But after the death of a fellow teamate these kids can fill something knowone can explain but these kids. They are not the best team we all have seen here over the last 6-7 years but they are a team with heart and willing to learn and get better each and every day. They just will fight each and every play untill the very last sec is off the clock. Yes there are lots of kids that go both ways for Cuero. But if you watch every play they are also in and out more than what you think. Cuero has always been in alot better shape than most teams we have played , so dont look for the Gobblers to tire, they will not stop cumming at you. It will take a perfect game and a little luck for the Gobblers to pull this off. But it can happen and these kids beleave they cant be stopped. To them it really dont matter who is on the otherside of the ball. Good luck to both teams, this will be one for the ages.

LE Dad
12-02-2009, 11:09 PM
I think demographics play a role in who people pick, too, as per example: the votes on Smoaky.com have Gilmer favored 119-39, while 3Adownlow has Cuero favored 105-70 currently. I also think that some of those votes are from people who are pulling for the underdog, and some are just "wanting" a certain team to lose, while others are just "wanting" a certain team to win for one reason or another. Kinda redundant, but it's true.;) Some are pretty confident in their pick......and rightly so with both programs being tradition-rich, but the truth is we won't know how these teams will match up until the showdown in "H" town.:D

I can't wait! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this game.:( I have to work......:mad: LOL Thats why I wait till the 3rd qtr to vote:p

Tsip85
12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I know it's not going to happen, but I hope this game looks decided much earlier than the 3rd qtr!!

KingRob
12-02-2009, 11:43 PM
This thread has kind of slowed down and i for one am glad. As i have said on several occasions, I have always wanted to play the Gobblers. Tradition, tradition, tradition!!! when we really exploded on the scene in 2003 I vividly remember the
bobcats of Celina. I thought " oh my God" we have reached the pinnacle of high school football. I have followed football a long time and know about "the teams". Hit list started............bulldogs, both jasper and wylie, mustangs of WOS all vanquished. Panthers of Liberty Hill, wanted them too.............just got a little bigger dose than we could handle:D hope soon to get another shot. others on the hit list include for me Wimberly, Sealy, Brownwood and Decatur. But for now I'll take number 1 on my list..............the Gobblers. Come saturday i will strike another off the list.............and if you can't get excited for this one you know nothing about Texas High School Football, its the Buckeyes and the Gobblers for gosh sakes.................IT'S THE FREAKING GOBBLERS.............I'm stoked!!!!!

Shoot, you got me even more excited!!!

LET'S GO CUERO!!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

KingRob
12-02-2009, 11:46 PM
BEAT THE BUCKEYES!! LET'S GO CUERO!!!

YTBulldogs
12-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Man, I can't wait for this game. Both teams proven winning history. No one will be dominated. Stop one aspect of the opponents game, they have several more weapons for which to unleash.

Playing for Daingerfield (near Gilmer) back in 80's, and living in Yoakum (near Cuero) since 1986, I know these two schools very well. Awesome tradition, and the envy of many. Both towns should be extremely proud of these teams. I am, and I'm a neighbor.

No way will this game be a blow out. Teams too talented to allow that. But, I just think Cuero has a more complete package overall. Except kicker. Which could play a role in the end.

Us fan's will get to enjoy some awesome plays, some snottbubble hits and just a great high school game. One of the best ever I believe is forthcoming.

My final prediction:

Cuero 27
Gilmer 24

YTBulldogs
12-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Was Yoakum's pleasure to lend our Doghouse Indoor Practice Facility to Cuero yesterday. The rain hampered their ability to get some Gilmer game plan work in.

http://www.myvictoriaonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3422:cuero-football-playoff-report&catid=62:home-stories&Itemid=87

KingRob
12-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks Yoakum! Good to know there are good folks down there!

LET'S GO CUERO!! BEAT THE BUCKEYES!!!:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

pirate4state
12-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Just get ready for #34 to be putting the QB and RB on there ends all night long. Speed on the DEFENSE is unreal and I am sure you have never seen a Defense as fast as the one your going to see Saturday. LOL LOL LOL they probably see it everyday in practice :doh:

gobbler84
12-03-2009, 01:42 AM

I'm doing good. Yeah, I got moved to fullback the second to last game and started there against Tech. That will probably be my full time position from now on. Get a couple of carries, and maybe a catch here in there. I mean, I could get use to it.

gobblerfan34
12-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Was Yoakum's pleasure to lend our Doghouse Indoor Practice Facility to Cuero yesterday. The rain hampered their ability to get some Gilmer game plan work in.

http://www.myvictoriaonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3422:cuero-football-playoff-report&catid=62:home-stories&Itemid=87

thank you very much for the help, we really appreciate it

GO MEAN GREEN

Pawdaddy
12-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
54-24... I believe you are living in a dream world. This game will be MUCH closer than that.

I kinda hope it is. But I know the Buckeyes will be stoked and if they hit early in a game, it seems to snowball on the other team. Coaches will have a few wrinkles to get receivers open, new blocking schemes......there will be things that will create opportunities and then the machine will take over. Cuero could be stouter offensively than I think, but I stand behind the Buckeye defense and the coaches that have made the adjustments to shut other teams down this year. Just the facts, check it out.

Buckeyes 54 Cuero 24

44INAROW
12-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Third time is the charm :clap: :clap:

GO MEAN GREEN :)

YTBulldogs
12-03-2009, 09:32 AM
I kinda hope it is. But I know the Buckeyes will be stoked and if they hit early in a game, it seems to snowball on the other team. Coaches will have a few wrinkles to get receivers open, new blocking schemes......there will be things that will create opportunities and then the machine will take over. Cuero could be stouter offensively than I think, but I stand behind the Buckeye defense and the coaches that have made the adjustments to shut other teams down this year. Just the facts, check it out.

Buckeyes 54 Cuero 24

No way this game will be a blow out Pawdaddy. Zero chance.

Might come down to a crucial bonehead penalty someone draws for getting too hyped and letting the emotion of the game take over. Team that play's like they been here before will win this one.

Like to get my ticket before the game. Is Cuero ISD or the HS selling them?

44INAROW
12-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Like to get my ticket before the game. Is Cuero ISD or the HS selling them?

schools and ISD offices have tickets... :) Thanks for the support

YTBulldogs
12-03-2009, 09:42 AM
schools and ISD offices have tickets... :) Thanks for the support

Thanks 44inarow. Having lunch at Don Bravos today. I'll swing by and pick up 6 of them bad boys.

Not sure the 15,000 capacity at SHSU will be enough. Casey Stadium in Waco, or Kyle Field would of been a better place I think.

headhunter
12-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Friend of mine went to the gilmer booster lunching or whatever it is called, they showed like 15 minutes of film, said it was from all opponets, kind of a highlight type of deal.

His impressions were that cuero is medium size, has a few very fast kids but "avg" speed overall. Said they looked to be very disciplined, and run a ton of different formations on offense. Said the QB and RB were what they have been built up as but thought the defense looked average. One thing everyon noticed he said was that Cuero goes both ways with 6 or 7 kids.

Two things scare me, and two things make me excited.

1. Gilmer does very well against teams who have kids going both ways cause they just play so fast, the ball is snapped before the play clock gets to 20 on most plays.

2. Gilmer does very well against teams who have so so defense and a good offense because we can usually keep pace with a good O, and our D can usually make a few key stops.

1. I am worried that we will be facing two of the most tallented players we have all year, and they will both be on the Offense for Cuero. Gilmer is years past has struggled with good running game, and can sometimes overload the box to stop it giving up long passes. This happened vs. LE this year.

2. I always worry about a team that is well disciplined and wont make many mistakes.

Any Cuero Fans acctually get a chance to see us on youtube or osme of the other places, I would figure you guys have seen some things that are worrisome and some things that you feel u can exploit, I would be curious to hear yalls ideas.

I like your assessment.

Let me add that Gilmer may have the fastest and most atheletic secondary I have seen all year. It will be important for Tyler to take what they give him and every now and then run the ball.

I watched Gilmer vs Navasota and I do think that was one of the fastest pace games I saw in the 1st half. Gilmer keeps a good tempo on offense. I think, as fans, you will watch two very similar teams match-up on Saturday. Niether is overly big. Gilmer likes the WR flow screens, and tunnel screens, they are able to execute the option read because both QB and RB are very ellusive. They even run a little quick option. When these speedsters get outside the tackles they are tough for one guy to bring down. The Gobblers will need big plays from the DE and keep the backfiled contained in the tackle box. They are tough to stop, however these kids are human, (both Curo and Gilmer) they will drop passes and some lineman may miss a block, and there will be a few let downs on defense; it just won't happen very often.

The TEAM with the less mistakes wins. Gilmer and Cuero fans both are saying to themselves, "if we play our style of football, then no one can beat us." That is true, so it comes down to which coaching staff can make the other team get away from what they do best. Can one team take away one aspect of the others game and make them one dimensional? Can they continously put the other team in 3rd and long, can they call the timely blitz's or screens? After this game you will look back and see where the big play was made that determined the outcome.

One more thing I would like to point out is that in 1995 the High powered Gobblers played the Sealy Tigers. The Gobblers that season were very talented from top to bottom at every position. Six men were signed to D1 scholoships and three had NFL contracts (Finley, Anderson, and Barrnett). Sealy on the other hand had one athelete sign a D1 scholorship that year. However the better TEAM was Sealy that night, they were nothing fancy, they just played solid and executed when they had to.

The game Saturday night will be much like the one in 1995. Gilmer comes in ranked #1 with four to five players capable of playing D1 football, the Gobblers on the other hand will have one probably two at best. If the Gobblers can play a little above their talent level then as a TEAM they have a great shot to pull out a win. The winning team will have to be pretty close to perfect though, Just my opinion.

YTBulldogs
12-03-2009, 10:04 AM
That's why it's played on the turf, huh HH? To me, this is the state championship game. Unless numerous players sustain some booboo's from this clash, the winner here will win state the following week. Then, withdraw symptoms set in.:(

rojosgirl
12-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Hey King Rob! Glad to see you out there again. Where have you been? The Gobblers are ready for some more football!

I've seen a couple of posts predicting Gilmer beats Cuero 50 something to 30 something. Are you kidding me? I really can't see Cuero going down by that kind of margin and hopefully, not at all! We'll see . . . . .

These Gobblers are a very special group of young men. They display characteristics that should be the envy of many. Come Saturday evening, they will step on that field and give it their all. All for their team, all for their town and all for their fallen brother.

GO GOBBLERS!! We miss you CP22!

:cheerl: :clap: :cheerl: :clap: :cheerl: :clap: :cheerl: :clap: :cheerl:

Tsip85
12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
To me, this is the state championship game. Unless numerous players sustain some booboo's from this clash, the winner here will win state the following week.

Careful what you say. There are 2 very good teams playing in Waco on Saturday that certainly have other plans for Gobblers or the Buckeyes!!

This WILL be a great game! I'm looking forward to watching it.

waterboy
12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I keep seeing where Cuero is playing for a fallen player, and that their motto is "one town, one team, one goal", or something like that. You know, Gilmer has that same motto, and we also have a fallen comrade who the team is playing for, Matt Camp. Matt Camp was the play-by-play announcer for the Buckeye games, and his son is the ball boy for the Buckeye team. He meant the world to this team and the whole city of Gilmer. I find it odd that BOTH teams have similarities that are unreal, and add to the subplot of this matchup.:thinking: The unfortunate thing is one of these teams will fall a little short of their "goal", even though they will both have plenty to be proud about -- having such good seasons.:clap:

BuckeyeNut
12-03-2009, 11:14 AM
GO BUCKEYES:clap: :clap: :clap:

waterboy
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
GO BUCKEYES:clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: Amen!:clap:

GO BUCKEYES!!

Aesculus gilmus
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I keep seeing where Cuero is playing for a fallen player, and that their motto is "one town, one team, one goal", or something like that. You know, Gilmer has that same motto, and we also have a fallen comrade who the team is playing for, Matt Camp. Matt Camp was the play-by-play announcer for the Buckeye games, and his son is the ball boy for the Buckeye team. He meant the world to this team and the whole city of Gilmer. I find it odd that BOTH teams have similarities that are unreal, and add to the subplot of this matchup.:thinking: The unfortunate thing is one of these teams will fall a little short of their "goal", even though they will both have plenty to be proud about -- having such good seasons.:clap:

This bears repeating. However, one thing is wrong at the end of every post you make.

It's now CODE GREEN!!!!!!!

waterboy
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
This bears repeating. However, one thing is wrong at the end of every post you make.

It's now CODE GREEN!!!!!!!
Yeah, I guess I need to change my signature line to Code Green, LOL!

DONE!!!

poisoned10
12-03-2009, 11:57 AM
I changed my signature too, both here and "over there."

waterboy
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10
I changed my signature too, both here and "over there."
:thumbsup: Me, too!!:D

waterboy
12-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh, and if I didn't say it LOUD enough a while ago........

GO BUCKEYES!!

FmrPirate14
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Gotta Go with the Gobblers in this one, I picked Sealy to beat 'em last week but that didnt work out

Gobbler Fan
12-03-2009, 01:17 PM
All these Gilmer posters saying Gilmer has been the best 3a team all year yada yada yada... we'll just take being the best team Say . night ;)

Backing you all the way Gobblers ....GOOOOO MEEEEAAAAN GRRREEEEAAANNNNN:clap:

Gobbla2001
12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
You know, the story about Gilmer playing for a fallen Buckeye (no matter player, announcer, fan, they're part of the community and a Buckeye) and Cuero playing for a fallen teammate reminds me of why you gotta tell these kids not to go into a game wanting to "win" the game for that teammate etc... you don't want to feel like you let the guy down... you kinda need to go with the "leave it all on the field deal"... you might not win the game, but play the best you can, as hard as you can for that fallen teammate, don't let them down in that aspect...

Gobbla2001
12-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Buckeyes 54 Cuero 24

First off I'll address your last line, "Buckeyes 54 Cuero 24"... not hatin' on my boys, but I wouldn't be too shocked, Gilmer's a damn good team and all we can do is play our game...

As for you guys hitting early in the game and it snowballing, I don't see the snowballing... if you guys "hit" early because you're just that much better, yah it might get nasty, but it won't get the Gobblers down...

Against Sealy, a team with the size and speed of Gilmer on D and what I think is just as good of a defense (probably behind on offense) it was 21-7 Sealy at the end of the 1st qt when I got out of the truck... They were calm, no freakin' out, just kept getting after it, started playing harder it seemed, no panic... 28-27 Sealy at half...

I think what helps is that our offense can keep us in a game and the D can feed off of that... it also helps having a 3 yr starter at QB for the first time since '00... the dude is a solid leader, just knows what he's doing and in his three years has learned not to try and do "too much"...

plus, after what I saw in the Sealy game, this coaching staff is doing one of the best jobs they've done in the Reeve era ('03-present)...

We shall see...

waterboy
12-03-2009, 01:43 PM
You know, the story about Gilmer playing for a fallen Buckeye (no matter player, announcer, fan, they're part of the community and a Buckeye) and Cuero playing for a fallen teammate reminds me of why you gotta tell these kids not to go into a game wanting to "win" the game for that teammate etc... you don't want to feel like you let the guy down... you kinda need to go with the "leave it all on the field deal"... you might not win the game, but play the best you can, as hard as you can for that fallen teammate, don't let them down in that aspect...
Exactly, and both teams have done just that. That's all that is asked of them, too. "Give up" is not in our vocabulary.:cool:

Gobbla2001
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
it also helps having a 3 yr starter at QB for the first time since '00...

and I didn't get to see the game, had do listen on the radio, but against Yoakum Cuero was down three scores going into the 4th... the guy just nutted up...

puts it this way: down 4 in the last minutes, 4th and goal from the 29...

now I'd say Gilmer's D is better than Yoakum's for sure... but that was a while back and the heads are now out of the asses... doubt they come in expecting to beat Gilmer... they come in knowing they have to play their best game all year to get past these guys, and that they can...

GreenMachine
12-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Go Mean Green !!! Go Mean Green !!! Go Mean Green !!!

BuckeyeNut
12-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
All these Gilmer posters saying Gilmer has been the best 3a team all year yada yada yada... we'll just take being the best team Say . night ;)

Backing you all the way Gobblers ....GOOOOO MEEEEAAAAN GRRREEEEAAANNNNN:clap:

Talk all the crap you want to still does not change the fact were picked to win bye at least 2 TD's on every other poll but this one.:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

bleacherbum
12-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Talk all the crap you want to still does not change the fact were picked to win bye at least 2 TD's on every other poll but this one.

Being picked to win doesn't mean much until you actually do.

lostaussie
12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by bleacherbum
Being picked to win doesn't mean much until you actually do. hmmmm, I was thinking exactly the same thing. but, having confidence is one of our strong suits. What a bunch of folks pick on the downlow, who pick Cuero to win, only because the want Gilmer to lose, means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of the game.

waterboy
12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
GO BUCKEYES! BEAT DEM TURKEYS!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Green Bling
12-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LE Dad
LOL Thats why I wait till the 3rd qtr to vote:p

:D No Guts, no glory!!:D :D

GreenMachine
12-03-2009, 06:16 PM
I just hope all you Gilmer fans picking the Buckeyes to win 50 something to 20 something are on here Sunday morning cause if Cuero wins you'll be eating crow and I'll be shoving it down ;)

Green Bling
12-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Whew!! Travel plans A through E to get to the game bombed. Thankful that plans F and G are going to work out. Just shows that if you have a little pit bull in you, things can work out. Can't wait!!:D

Green Bling
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I just hope all you Gilmer fans picking the Buckeyes to win 50 something to 20 something are on here Sunday morning cause if Cuero wins you'll be eating crow and I'll be shoving it down ;)

GM, never cared much for crow myself, but I understand it's best eaten medium rare! :D :D

makita_6
12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Go Mean Green....Beat The Hell Outta Gilmer!!!

Gobbla2001
12-03-2009, 07:06 PM
not very familiar with East Texas (though I've always wanted to get lost there), are there Buckeye trees all over the place? just around the Gilmer area? what's the deal?

Gobbla2001
12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't like eating crow either... which is why I say Gilmer winning 50-something to 20-something is not outside of the realm of possibility ha...

slingshot
12-03-2009, 07:50 PM
...this is the state championship game. Unless numerous players sustain some booboo's from this clash, the winner here will win state the following week. We just love statements like this... :rolleyes: You guys thought you had it won after the semi's in '04 also--how did that turn out for you?

Gobbla2001
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
:rolleyes: You guys thought you had it won after the semi's in '04 also

Wow, unless I'm mistaken, Yoakum didn't even make it to the semi's in '04 :confused:

YTBulldogs
12-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah, we dern sure didn't make it to semi's in 2004. Last time, and only time was like back in 1952:weeping:

lostaussie
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, we dern sure didn't make it to semi's in 2004. Last time, and only time was like back in 1956:weeping: get better:D

YTBulldogs
12-03-2009, 08:59 PM
get better:D

We trying. Sure love to have what you and Cuero have that's for sure.

XtremeCouture
12-03-2009, 09:06 PM
We just love statements like this... :rolleyes: You guys thought you had it won after the semi's in '04 also--how did that turn out for you?
oh so you are saying no one from abilene believed they would beat cuero in 2004? yeah i doubt it. why wouldn't cuero fans think they were going to win that game? and considering they lost by a fg as time expired, i would say they had a very good reason for believing they had a chance to win.

XtremeCouture
12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
and anyways you're from abilene. go post on your own thread. seriously, some cuero fans are predicting to lose but i can guarantee you there isn't a single gilmer fan saying they will lose. so why you are deciding to talk crap about cuero is truly beyond me.

Sundance
12-03-2009, 09:55 PM
DID U SAY GO BLACKEYES OR BUCKEYES

could not understand sounds like U had something in ur mouth.

SAY IT LOUD

ONE TOWN........

ONE TEAM.........

ONE GOAL.........

GO MEAN GREEN

Gobbla2001
12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Sundance
DID U SAY GO BLACKEYES OR BUCKEYES

could not understand sounds like U had something in ur mouth.

:eek: :nerd: :dispntd:

Pawdaddy
12-04-2009, 06:58 AM

I'll be ya' Huckleberry!

Gobbla2001
12-04-2009, 07:38 AM
I'll be ya' Huckleberry!

Yor'a daisy if ya do...

lostaussie
12-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Gobbla you coming to the game?

Green Bling
12-04-2009, 09:33 AM
We just love statements like this... :rolleyes: You guys thought you had it won after the semi's in '04 also--how did that turn out for you?

You'll notice that wasn't posted by someone from Cuero, but by a friend from down the road. We appreciate their support, but you can be assured that no one from Cuero is looking any farther down the road than Huntsville. One game at a time, one game at a time!

Aesculus gilmus
12-04-2009, 09:50 AM
not very familiar with East Texas (though I've always wanted to get lost there), are there Buckeye trees all over the place? just around the Gilmer area? what's the deal?

They normally are not the size of trees around here. Here is a typical example of a local buckeye plant in bloom.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zl4G49uzDjg/Sxkf3McnEhI/AAAAAAAAA1U/FL6iOWLStu0/s1600/buckeyeflowers.jpg

YTBulldogs
12-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Ok, we are heading out at 10AM this morning. Thought we'd get a early start Huntsville way due to weather.

Safe travels fan's. Last one out of Cuero, leave water trickling and cut the lights.

I'll have my Blue "Y" cap on, but motivated spirit behind ya Cuero. We didn't have any green "C" cap's in our town.:D

Did find this green smiling face though.:D

lostaussie
12-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Ok, we are heading out at 10AM this morning. Thought we'd get a early start Huntsville way due to weather.

Safe travels fan's. Last one out of Cuero, leave water trickling and cut the lights.

I'll have my Blue "Y" cap on, but motivated spirit behind ya Cuero. We didn't have any green "C" cap's in our town.:D

Did find this green smiling face though.:D Damn, you could WALK to Huntville by 6:00 tomorrow...............you DO know the game is TOMORROW don't you???:D

N4SIR
12-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Keep him straigh Aussie. He must have tsken a few too many licks to the head when he played at Dangerfield (as is evidenced by him rooting for Cuero).

Blue42
12-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Ok Gobbler fans lets get ready to get loud get your butts down to the pep rally tonight and get your noise makers out and all the stuff you will need for the game Saturday.
GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have heard enough of this were # 1 c--p if any thing I would not want a # 1 ranking it has been proven to be jinx in the past and it will be for Gilmer come Saturday night:)

Mean Green Fan
12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

BuckeyeNut
12-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Ok Gobbler fans lets get ready to get loud get your butts down to the pep rally tonight and get your noise makers out and all the stuff you will need for the game Saturday.
GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have heard enough of this were # 1 c--p if any thing I would not want a # 1 ranking it has been proven to be jinx in the past and it will be for Gilmer come Saturday night:)

:1omg!: :1omg!:

If yall were #1 that is all we would hear all day long. That yall are #1 and have been all year and its not going to change.

Tomorrow you will see the #1 Team in the State and see why we are.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

44INAROW
12-04-2009, 11:01 AM
CISD Schools to Close at 12:30 PM
Due to bad weather all schools in the CISD will close at 12:30 PM today.

The CISD Superintendent and the CHS Principal informed us that the downtown Pep Rally has been cancelled. The Pep Rally will take place at the Girls Gym, provided that roads are not iced over. That call will be made at 4 PM today.

Please visit the Cuero ISD Website or channel 15 for more information.

(it's snowing all around Cuero but I haven't seen any of the white stuff at my office yet) The SA Newscrews are parked across the street from the office - not sure if they know something or not?)

YTBulldogs
12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Damn, you could WALK to Huntville by 6:00 tomorrow...............you DO know the game is TOMORROW don't you???:D

I'm going to the Daingerfield game first. It's at 2PM tomorrow. Plus, with the weather, might need to change course. I can't afford to miss these games, thus--I'm heading out early.

YTBulldogs
12-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by N4SIR
Keep him straigh Aussie. He must have tsken a few too many licks to the head when he played at Dangerfield (as is evidenced by him rooting for Cuero).

You'd think since your a close neighbor of the Tigers, you could spell their town correct.

It's

D A "I" N G E R F I E L D:p

N4SIR
12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Have a safe trip and be careful. Wish you would change your mind and come over to the winning sideline to watch the game

YTBulldogs
12-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by N4SIR
Have a safe trip and be careful. Wish you would change your mind and come over to the winning sideline to watch the game

Thanks N4SIR, you travel safe as well. Regardless who wins, I'm blessed to see these two fine schools play tomorrow. I'm the real winner really you might say.

gobblerfan02
12-04-2009, 11:23 AM
CISD Schools to Close at 12:30 PM
Due to bad weather all schools in the CISD will close at 12:30 PM today.

The CISD Superintendent and the CHS Principal informed us that the downtown Pep Rally has been cancelled. The Pep Rally will take place at the Girls Gym, provided that roads are not iced over. That call will be made at 4 PM today.

Please visit the Cuero ISD Website or channel 15 for more information.

(it's snowing all around Cuero but I haven't seen any of the white stuff at my office yet) The SA Newscrews are parked across the street from the office - not sure if they know something or not?) Maybe they're there because it's not snowing in San Antonio at all. I'm still waiting to see any!

44INAROW
12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Maybe they're there because it's not snowing in San Antonio at all. I'm still waiting to see any!

GOT SOME FLURRIES :)

JT44
12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm here at wrk in victoria and it's coming down!! It was a mix of sleet/snow this am around 5 on my way to work.

rojosgirl
12-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Everyone have a great evening enjoying the "snow activities" and be careful. Can't believe the big game is almost here. I'm so excited!

Good luck to all and safe travels as well.

GO GOBBLERS! :D

Gobbla2001
12-04-2009, 01:16 PM
lost, dunno if I can make it, kinda had plans but kinda not, gunna try my hardest... can't miss this one...

hollywood
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
This is going to be one of the best games going this weekend. Wish it wasn't so far from here.

Best of luck to both teams and hope everyone has safe travels. It's going to be a slug fest.

Green Bling
12-04-2009, 01:53 PM
44, do we have a spot selected for the M&G before the game tomorrow night?

44INAROW
12-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
44, do we have a spot selected for the M&G before the game tomorrow night?

GreenBling - there is supposed to be 2 M&G tomorrow 1st one at Margarita's on IH 45 @ 3:30 and another at halftime -

Originally posted by j_dog
The M&G for half-time is also still on for those who cannot meet before the game.

The meeting place will be near the scoreboard which is on the north end of the stadium. If you will bring a small sign with "Downlow" printed on it we can find each other. :)

So come on down! By then you might be delighted for an excuse to move around and warm some limbs. :)

lulu
12-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
and anyways you're from abilene. go post on your own thread. seriously, some cuero fans are predicting to lose but i can guarantee you there isn't a single gilmer fan saying they will lose. so why you are deciding to talk crap about cuero is truly beyond me.

Now now....anyone can post anywhere. Be kind.

Both teams are GREAT.:D

headhunter
12-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Buckeyes face storied Cuero in semifinals

By: Joe Dodd

When the Gilmer Buckeyes and Cuero Gobblers meet Saturday at 6 p.m. in Bowers Stadium on the campus of Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, it will be a showdown between two of Texas’ most successful high school football programs.

Cuero has won 645 games in its history, while Gilmer has 569 wins as a program. The Gobblers have recorded 10 trips to the state finals, winning 3 championships. The Buckeyes have 3 state final appearances and one championship.

Since the 2000 season, Gilmer is 110-17 while Cuero is 104-22. The Buckeyes have a 20-7 playoff record in that time period, while the Gobblers have gone 20-8 in playoff games.

Gilmer has won 44 consecutive district games, while Cuero has recorded 33 straight district wins. The Buckeyes’ home winning streak stands at 34, just ahead of the Gobblers’ 33 game home streak.

Gilmer has lost to the eventual state champions 4 out of the past 6 years, including 3 times in a row. Cuero has lost in the semifinals 3 of the past 5 years, including 2 years in a row.

This is a matchup featuring the two best programs in Class 3A this decade; two programs that are tired of runner-up finishes.

“Since 2003 we’ve either been the state champion or lost to the state champion five out of six years. The secret to winning it is always being around it,” said Gilmer head coach Jeff Traylor.

Cuero head coach Mark Reeve agreed with Traylor. “I think both teams have been fortunate. I think consistency is the key to a good program. Both teams have been able to knock on that door. We’ve been to the semifinals five of the last six years, and we’ve made it once to the championship game in 2004,” said Reeve, whose team lost to Abilene Wylie in the Division I final, the same year Gilmer won the Division II title.

The similarities continue when you look at the Buckeyes’ and Gobblers’ 2009 teams. Both are 13-0 with high scoring offenses and stingy defenses. Gilmer averages almost 54 points per game, while allowing less than 17 points per game. Cuero’s offense scores an average of almost 44 points per game, and allows just over 17 points.

The Buckeyes’ offense averages 464 yards per game. The Gobblers’ offense averages 442 yards per game. Gilmer’s defense allows an average of 214 yards per game. Cuero’s defense allows an average of 247 yards per game.

Both teams are led by senior quarterbacks; both three year starters. Stump Godfrey is 39-3 at Gilmer, while Tyler Arndt has a 36-5 record at Cuero.

“Both teams have excellent quarterbacks. Everything starts with that signal-caller and we’ve been real fortunate with ours and obviously Gilmer has too,” said Reeve. “Both teams are very sound in what they do and have a strong belief system in their offensive approach. Both teams are very balanced. Both teams can throw the football and run the football.”

“They’re as close to what we are like as anyone I’ve seen,” said Gilmer head coach Jeff Traylor.

While the offensive statistics are amazingly similar, the Buckeyes and Gobblers go about it in different ways. Gilmer employs the spread offense, while Cuero’s offense is very multiple, with the Gobblers lining up in many different formations and using a lot of motion.

The Buckeyes rely more heavily on the passing game, counting on Godfrey’s arm to put them in the end zone. Godfrey has delivered 113 touchdown passes in his career, the sixth best total in Texas history.

The Gobblers are a more run oriented team, and who could blame them with super sophomore Trent Jackson in the backfield. Jackson (6-0, 185, 4.4) burst onto the scene as a freshman last year with 1,436 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns, breaking Robert Strait’s school freshman rushing record. Strait starred at Cuero from 1985-1988 and is the 6th leading rusher in Texas history.

Jackson followed up his debut season by breaking Strait’s sophomore rushing mark with 2,311 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns on 257 carries.

“He’s as good a tailback as we’ve ever played against; and we’ve played against some really good ones,” praised Traylor, who listed Liberty-Eylau’s LaMichael James, now at Oregon; Chapel Hill’s Matthew Tucker, now at TCU; Carthage’s Dwight Smith, also at TCU; and Tatum’s Bryce Beall, now at Houston, as the best backs the Buckeyes have faced in the past 3 seasons.

Don’t let Jackson’s gaudy rushing stats deceive you; the Gobblers can throw the football too. Quarterback Tyler Arndt (6-4, 207, 4.5) has thrown for 2,184 yards and 26 touchdowns with only 4 interceptions this season. “He’s got a very strong arm. He’s taken us to the semifinals all three of his years at quarterback. He’s been very consistent for us,” said Reeve.

“He’s so accurate; his arm is so strong. He reminds me of Will Middlebrooks from Liberty-Eylau,” said Traylor about Arndt, who has offers from 7 Division I colleges. Middlebrooks led Liberty-Eylau to the 2006 state championship, beating the Buckeyes in the first round of the playoffs.

Arndt’s main targets are wide receiver Monte Green (6-2, 165, 4.4) and tight end Tanner Hoffman (6-1, 220, 4.6) who have combined for 839 yards and 9 touchdowns on 47 catches.

“They’re as good an offense as we’ve ever played against,” summed up Traylor, who is impressed with the Gobblers’ play calling. “They’ll throw it on first down. They don’t wait until its third and ten and everybody in the stadium knows you’re going to throw it. They mix it up. They play-action pass and run trick plays. You don’t ever know when it’s coming. They’ll run it on third and long,” said Traylor.

“Our defense has got to play way over their head. They’re going to have to play at just a totally different level,” warned Traylor, who is very concerned about matching up with the Gobblers. “With our injuries, I don’t know what we’ll be able to do,” worried Traylor.

“We need some breaks,” replied Traylor when asked what it would take to win the game. “We’re going to need some turnovers. We need to win the kicking game. Offensively we’re going to have to match them. Whatever they do, we’ve got to go match.”

Cuero’s Reeve was a little less forthcoming in his assessment of how the Gobblers could defeat the Buckeyes. ”We’ve got to have one more point on the scoreboard,” Reeve dead-panned.

That’s been difficult to do against the Buckeyes, but Traylor said that Cuero’s defense is very similar to Gilmer’s defense. “Very disciplined and well coached,” said Traylor, who noted that the Gobblers’ defense is small in size, but very fast.

For Gilmer to advance to their 3rd state championship appearance in the past 6 years, Traylor insists that the Buckeyes must reach deep down and will themselves to victory. “There is only about four times a year where you can really reach that high emotional stage,” said Traylor. “We’ve done it once against Kilgore and then again against Jasper and that’s two. I’m hoping that our last two games will be the four times this year.”

Traylor encouraged Buckeyes’ fans to make the trip to Huntsville and help cheer Gilmer to victory. “Cuero’s fan support is legendary, and Coach Reeve told me that their fans will dwarf our fans,” said Traylor.

Traylor promised fans an exciting game. “It’s going to come down to whoever has the ball last in my opinion. I can’t imagine it being any other way.”

Green Bling
12-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Now now....anyone can post anywhere. Be kind.

Both teams are GREAT.:D
I always see it as an honor when non-Cueroites post on our thread. Great to see how many people around the state are interested in the goings on of the Gobblers and the teams they are playing! Lulu, do you plan to be at the game and the M&Gs?

12thMan
12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Heard Gilmer put some crazy song out about beating the Gobblers. They also said some other things in this song that was tastless. Is this true??? Can someone confirm this.

waterboy
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 12thMan
Heard Gilmer put some crazy song out about beating the Gobblers. They also said some other things in this song that was tastless. Is this true??? Can someone confirm this.
:tisk: :tisk: :tisk: Come on now........no need in spreading rumors. If this were true I would've heard it by now. There's no such song.:hand: IF there were, I can assure you it would NOT be tasteless.

12thMan
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm not spreading rumors. That's why I'm asking. I didn't want to assume some people from Gilmer did this.

gobblergreen
12-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Actually the song came in the form of a text, supposedly started by someone from Gilmer...not sure where the song originated, but I received the text and as a family member of Cole Thomas, I found the song very disturbing...once again let me make it very clear, I am not pointing the finger at anyone, but am asking everyone that reads this post, if you know who or how this started, please ask them to stop it...

12thMan
12-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I agree 100%. Let's stop this and show some respect.

waterboy
12-04-2009, 06:33 PM
This is the first I've heard of it. I can't see any way that something like that could've originated up our way. That's not our style. We don't play that way.:thmbdwn: Surely, if it had I would've heard about it before now.

Gobbla2001
12-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Every town has a bad apple or two, I know we've got some in Cuero... the Gilmer fans earned my respect a long time ago, aint nothin' changed (cept our team and their team are finally playing each other)...

A Holes! :mad:

gobblergreen
12-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Like I said, I am not putting the blame on anyone, I just know that whoever would choose to use the memory of a sweet, young person like Cole Thomas, to fuel the playoff fire is IMO one sick individual:(

waterboy
12-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Every town has a bad apple or two, I know we've got some in Cuero... the Gilmer fans earned my respect a long time ago, aint nothin' changed (cept our team and their team are finally playing each other)...

A Holes! :mad:
I agree that every town had its bad apples, but for someone to do something like that I think they would've had to have known a little more about Cuero and their situation there than what the media tells us, in my opinion. Could it have been someone from your area wanting to add some motivation through a malicious "anonymous" text? Anyway you look at it, it's WRONG!:thmbdwn:

Gobbla2001
12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
and BINGO was his name... oh!

maybe I've just been around the football message boards a wee too long, but I never take what "so-and-so" team said about the other seriously... I'd say about 95% of the time it is a fabricated lie from within the side being slammed... same with "so and so is injured, so looks like we'll be short a guy"... most of the time that's a lie...

Gobbla2001
12-04-2009, 07:07 PM
and BINGO was his name... oh!

maybe I've just been around the football message boards a wee too long, but I never take what "so-and-so" team said about the other seriously... I'd say about 95% of the time it is a fabricated lie from within the side being slammed... same with "so and so is injured, so looks like we'll be short a guy"... most of the time that's a lie...

And I'm not slamming my fellow Cuero faithful on this board disturbed that such a tasteless song was written... I totally believe that that message has gone around...

But do me a favor:

Step 1. Pick up your cell

Step 2: Create some stupid, sick rumor in a text message

Step 3: Send it to everyone in your address book (unless you're like me and have parents who do not appreciate such thinks, deselect them)

See how easy that was?

Green Bling
12-04-2009, 07:13 PM
This just needs to be said,
GOOO!! MEEEEEAN! GREEEEN! :D :D

YTBulldogs
12-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Ok, made it to Nacod-whatever for the Daingerfield tilt at 2PM tomorrow. Lovely drive with the snow falling I might add.

Still can't wait for the Cuero one though. The snow was coming down hard in Houston. Stopped just north of Houston.

Gobbler travel tomorrow will be perfect. Cold, but---clear and dry. Stars out now near the SFA campus.

This cold weather should make for some nice snottbubbles when the Gobblers and Buckeyes smack one another.

GreenMachine
12-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Just came from the Smoakhouse forums and I can say this, those guys over there are hilarious. One thing is for sure, each team has each others respect. Should be a great game :thumbsup:

easttexas3a
12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
No such song has been heard around here. I would suspect its someone in house trying to fuel the fires. It happens around smoaky all the time, someone creates a bogus name from an enemy town then makes outlandish statements.

Of course everyone including gilmer has its bad apples.

Gilmer has nothing but respect for Cuero, and share sympathy's over the loss of a young man.

gobble_up03
12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Less than 24 hours til the big game!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

gobbler grad
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
just come from the pep rally...them boys are pumped up...gonna be one heck of a game...weather conditions will be good, other than being a little cold...if we stand and yell all night, ought to be OK...:clap: :clap: :clap: come on Sat. night...:D :D

44INAROW
12-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Go Mean Green :)

lulu
12-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
I always see it as an honor when non-Cueroites post on our thread. Great to see how many people around the state are interested in the goings on of the Gobblers and the teams they are playing! Lulu, do you plan to be at the game and the M&Gs?

Staying home...hubby working. Dad gum it. I was really looking forward to freezing my tush off and meeting all you folks. I will be listening. And if he gets away early we might try to make it.

I was really looking more to meeting than watching.....believe it or not.

Go Buckeyes....

Yell hard Green Bling and 44IAR. I'll be thinking of you too.

gobbler grad
12-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by lulu
Staying home...hubby working. Dad gum it. I was really looking forward to freezing my tush off and meeting all you folks. I will be listening. And if he gets away early we might try to make it.

I was really looking more to meeting than watching.....believe it or not.

Go Buckeyes....

Yell hard Green Bling and 44IAR. I'll be thinking of you too.

come without him...this is gonna be a good game by 2 great powerhouses...:thinking: you won't wanna miss it...:)

44INAROW
12-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
come without him...this is gonna be a good game by 2 great powerhouses...:thinking: you won't wanna miss it...:)

Just making sure - you're going to Margarita's tomorrow?

gobbler grad
12-04-2009, 10:44 PM
oh yeah, we'll be there...:)

Blue42
12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
:1omg!: :1omg!:

If yall were #1 that is all we would hear all day long. That yall are #1 and have been all year and its not going to change.

Tomorrow you will see the #1 Team in the State and see why we are.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
All I can say is the team going to the state championship game will have green jerseys and a turkey as a mascot.:)

waterboy
12-04-2009, 11:13 PM
All I can say is the team going to the state championship game will have green jerseys and a turkey as a mascot.:)
Why would they still be wearing their jerseys if they won't be playing? I guess y'all will be watching the Buckeyes, and sitting amongst the Army of Buckeyes.:D Don't worry we'll make room for ya.....;)

LHS 2SONS
12-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Good Luck Cuero, I said it before and I will say it again, no other team deserves the Championship more than Cuero, CLASS program and what they had to deal with this past summer that not only affected the team but the whole community of Cuero. You are almost their. Go getem from your supporters in La Grange.

44INAROW
12-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by LHS 2SONS
Good Luck Cuero, I said it before and I will say it again, no other team deserves the Championship more than Cuero, CLASS program and what they had to deal with this past summer that not only affected the team but the whole community of Cuero. You are almost their. Go getem from your supporters in La Grange.

Thanks G - Good luck to the Leps tomorrow as well........ Looks like we'll both have good weather - cold but good weather.. safe travels to all the fans on the roads tomorrow....

oh yea -

GO MEAN GREEN

gobbler grad
12-04-2009, 11:35 PM
catch this thread tomorrow morning...:wave:

one more ...

GO MEAN GREEN

easttexas3a
12-05-2009, 03:26 AM
I never put out a prediction

Gilmer 49 Cuero 35

BULLS1993
12-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Cuero 35-34

Mean Green Fan
12-05-2009, 05:08 AM
GO MEAN GREEN

gobbler grad
12-05-2009, 07:48 AM
It's game day...everyone get up...get your game face on ...let's get ready to clash...it's the game many have been waiting for...you don't wanna miss it...pack all your noise makers and let's go make some noise tonight...it's gonna be a beautiful day, hope all has a safe trip from wherever your're driving from...:clap: :clap:

Buckeye80
12-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Headin out at noon. I will be at the M&G under the scoreboard at the half. Safe travels to everyone! Buckeyes and Gobblers!!!!!!! Been waitin awhile for this one!!!

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Now to see which one of you is going to play Wylie next week.:thinking:

CueroDad08
12-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Now to see which one of you is going to play Wylie next week.:thinking:

I am sure LoveJoy will have ALOT to say about that. Dont you?

lostaussie
12-05-2009, 09:01 AM
I am sure LoveJoy will have ALOT to say about that. Dont you? yep, a whole lot!!!!

BTW....................GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!!! IT' MY FAVORITE DAY OF THE WEEK:D................GAME DAY!!!!!!!

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I am sure LoveJoy will have ALOT to say about that. Dont you?

Oh sure! But, my bracket had Prosper beating Love Joy last week
and then Wylie beating Prosper this week. So, it really didn't
matter to me who came out of Region II. ;)

Btw, my bracket also has Gilmer beating Cuero tonight. Scary times
indeed for Cuero fans. :eek: :D

GreenMachine
12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh sure! But, my bracket had Prosper beating Love Joy last week
and then Wylie beating Prosper this week. So, it really didn't
matter to me who came out of Region II. ;)

Btw, my bracket also has Gilmer beating Cuero tonight. Scary times
indeed for Cuero fans. :eek: :D Scary times for Gilmer fans as your bracket has been WRONG! :D

makita_6
12-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Well its gameday people...cant wait for tonight...gonna leave San Antonio early for some pre-game festivities and to watch some college football!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!

P.S. Go Nebraska! I wanna see TCU in the National Championship!

Blue42
12-05-2009, 11:12 AM
My son is one of the freshmen players (tackling dummies) on the team and my wife tried to get him to take a pillow or blanket for the travel to the game on the bus but he being so wise and knowable at 15 said "that's gay" so when I go to drop him off at the gym we see one of the upper classmen starters carrying a blanket and pillow to the gym all I do is laugh.I hope they learn and get a little smarter the older they get.GOD BLESS EVERONE TONIGHT BE SAFE AND GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS !
GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bullaholic
12-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I think this one will be one of the best games of the year. All the elements are in place for this one to be a classic---great players, traditions, coaches, and crowds. Wish I could be there. Best of luck to both teams.

forum_guy
12-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I had a dream these two teams went score for score in the first half and then the 2nd half Cuero made some adjustments and was able to get key stops and win the game 40-35

Gobbla2001
12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I still haven't voted for who I think will win...

I've thought about this game a lot. You look at these two teams on paper and you see two great teams. But to me, in my eyes, Gilmer is just a crazy-great team. Their talent is unbelievable for the 3A level I think. Add to that great discipline, great coaching, experience playing with one another and the driving force of one of those great football communities, and they're the most dangerous team in 3A and ranked #1 for a reason. This IS the best team in the state of Texas in 3A. Just my opinion...

But as a wise man once said on this very message board, and I'm paraphrasing here, "determining the state champion is not determining who the best team is, it's all about who plays the best in the playoffs"...

Last year at this time I voted for Waco La Vega to beat Cuero... after going down 21-7 at half (which I almost expected), the Gobblers stormed back to tie it up at 21, but the Pirates' ground game, their defense stepping it up and a few mistakes on our side of the deal stopped the comeback in its tracks and it was done... unfortunately I was right with my vote...

This year, same time as last year, I found myself in the same situation. I actually clicked on Gilmer... But I did not submit my vote...

Something tells me, almost assures me, that Cuero will win this game tonight... submit vote...

Cuero 48-42

poisoned10
12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I hope everyone has a safe trip to and from the game tonight. Maybe the bus carrying Tyler Arndt will get lost and break down in a area with no phone reception.

Just kidding. I want to see him in action.

Good luck to Cuero but more importantly GOOD LUCK GILMER!

GOOOO
BBUUCCKKEEYYEESS!

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Scary times for Gilmer fans as your bracket has been WRONG! :D

Well, to be honest, I could have flipped a coin to decide who I
thought was going to win this game. But, Wylie/Cuero has already
been done. I'm ready to see Wylie/Gilmer. :)

Gobbla2001
12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
been done. I'm ready to see Wylie/Gilmer. :)

I'm ready for you to shut yer face :mad:

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm ready for you to shut yer face :mad:

Hahahaha!

Hey, I have bitter memories of 2004 too. :mad:

GreenMachine
12-05-2009, 01:09 PM
been done. I'm ready to see Wylie/Gilmer. :) OR Cuero / LL :clap:

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2009, 01:11 PM
OR Cuero / LL :clap:

Eeewwwwww! :speech:

:devil:

LH Panther Mom
12-05-2009, 01:16 PM
[BI hope they learn and get a little smarter the older they get.[/B]
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but..... ;)

44IAR, I hope you (or somebody) will send me updates! GO MEAN GREEN!

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but..... ;)

44IAR, I hope you (or somebody) will send me updates! GO MEAN GREEN!

I'm going to be listening to it. I can send you updates unless you
want them from someone at the game.

LH Panther Mom
12-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm going to be listening to it. I can send you updates unless you
want them from someone at the game.
That sounds good. I just want to be in the loop! :D

I'll send from SA since "others" might be too wrapped up to remember.

Sweetwater Red
12-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That sounds good. I just want to be in the loop! :D

I'll send from SA since "others" might be too wrapped up to remember.

Okay, will do and thanks.

1st and goal
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
GO MEAN GREEN!!!

I'm sitting here at home wishing I could have come to the game. Going to be windy maybe. I'll bet you can hear a pin drop and the leaves rustling in Cuero right now.

Hope and pray that everyone makes it home safely. Also for a good, clean, hard hitting game called fairly by the zebras.

I'll be listening and rooting while sitting on pins and needles here at home. Might build me a fire in the fireplace. I'd rather be freezing my rear off in the stands.

29-3aFAN
12-05-2009, 07:22 PM
TD JACKSON!!!

gameface
12-05-2009, 09:34 PM
What's score?

gobblerfan02
12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
gilmer stops cuero at the 5, 42-36 gilmer, ballgame!

IHStangFan
12-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Great season Gobblers...enjoyed following you this year! :clap:

Congrats to Gilmer!

blowfish
12-05-2009, 10:00 PM
congrats Gilmer...hope we can see you in a rematch!

alaskacat
12-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Where would a Gilmer Wylie game be played

or Gilmer Lovejoy?

blowfish
12-05-2009, 11:58 PM
wherever it is I will see ya there!
GO DAWGS

Maroon87
12-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Credit to Gilmer...Cuero hit them right in the mouth early on but they hung in and made the plays they needed.

statewide
12-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Congrats to mean green for a great season. Gilmer is going to be tough to beat the rest of the way.

44INAROW
12-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Wow what a great game.. wish we'd of won but we left it all on the field. Congrats to Gilmer. Good Luck next week against Wylie..

We are watching the Richmond vs App State game (DVR of tonight's game) now.. Tre Gray from Cuero has had 2 receptions in the 1st drive. ")

forum_guy
12-06-2009, 02:53 AM
just got back from the game. I defintely do retract my agreement with the write up that was posted about gilmer would beat cuero 7 out of 10 times. If anything it would be the complete opposite. Before the game i was one of the ones that said "Gilmer is number 1 for a reason but now say they were not as dominating as they looked on paper. However, Gilmer did show great poise in a comeback win. That one hurts Gobblers. That one hurts for sure. After hearing about how many "D1" commits Gilmer had, the whole game it looked like cuero was the better team and honestly should have won. Defintely feel bad for #12 senior Qb for Cuero. He definitely has a bright future though whether it be football or baseball.