PDA

View Full Version : Wow, how many of these have we seen in the past few weeks?

VWG
11-28-2009, 01:03 PM
After reading these types of posts.....
"Didn't play up to our potential"
"We had too many turnovers"
"We had too many costly penalties"
"Coach's play calling, what was he thinking"
"Injury took out some of our best players"

Anybody care to add to the whiner wagon?
That is why you play the game. You go out and show up and play at the level that you are expected to play. Some play up to that level and some succumb to the pressure.
Injuries are a part of the game.

Still amazes me how some people make excuses and don't just tip their hat to the better team that night.

wimbo_pro
11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by VWG

That is why you play the game. You go out and show up and play at the level that you are expected to play. Some play up to that level and some succumb to the pressure.

Still amazes me how some people make excuses and don't just tip their hat to the better team that night.

So true VWG. So true...

SintonFan_inAustin
11-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by VWG

Still amazes me how some people make excuses and don't just tip their hat to the better team that night. not in this forum but saw it in a different one. Even though the other team won by i think 20+ " The refs won the game, the game should'nt had been close, we would've won if it wasn't for the refs"

LH Panther Mom
11-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by VWG
You forgot one...

http://www.smilieland.com/graphics2/leo_scheidsrechter_blind.gif
Are you blind, ref? :devil:

Budman007
11-28-2009, 01:11 PM
"If only our band had showed up on time!"

We really did have to sing the school song acopello last night at the Graham game because our band arrived so late and needless to say it was'nt good.

GO BULLS!!!

LH Panther Mom
11-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
"If only our band had showed up on time!"

We really did have to sing the school song acopello last night at the Graham game because our band arrived so late and needless to say it was'nt good.
Heck, our band AND cheerleaders were late to the Brownwood game. Okay, the cheerleaders were "there" just not on the field where they were supposed to be. :mad: :doh:

And yeah...same result with the singing of the school song. :helpme:

BLACK ATTACK
11-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Won't hear it from me. We got whipped by a team that played better than us on Friday night.

1st and goal
11-28-2009, 05:05 PM
How about:

The other team was perfect.
The refs were perfect.
I love losing playoff games.

Gimme a break VWG, are you trying to tell us that you've never complained about anything in your life that didn't go your way.....:hand: :hand: :hand:

STANG RED
11-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Is a statement of fact that explains an outcome simply an excuse?

Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for negetive outcomes. I dont see what harm there is in pointing them out for discussion sake. And I dont think it's always whinning and/or "making excuses".

I guess this could all be avoided, if humans would just quit acting so dang human like. ;)

VWG
11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
How about:

The other team was perfect.
The refs were perfect.
I love losing playoff games.

Gimme a break VWG, are you trying to tell us that you've never complained about anything in your life that didn't go your way.....:hand: :hand: :hand:

You missed the point. In my life.... no I am not anywhere near perfect. Far from it.
I have said this before and I will say it again.
When you win, be humble. When you lose, show character and respect for the better opponent that day.

By the way... answer me this. What does complaining get you?

DDBooger
11-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by VWG

By the way... answer me this. What does complaining get you? :thinking:
A: A thread totally devoted to them! :D

Tres Lobos
11-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
:thinking:
A: A thread totally devoted to them! :D

hahaha he's right :clap:

1st and goal
11-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by VWG
You missed the point. In my life.... no I am not anywhere near perfect. Far from it.
When you win, be humble. When you lose, show character and respect for the better opponent that day.

Sometimes the voice of reason will appear and sort things out. There have been, and will always be bad calls and no calls by HS football refs. Even the refs are sometimes swayed by each other and/or the coaches.

Sometimes complaining gets my kid's room cleaned.

Stay thirsty my friend.

OldBison75
11-28-2009, 11:38 PM
OldBison75
All-District

Member #: 7729

To All Gilmer Posters And Fans
First I want to say what a great High School Football Game I witnessed today in Lufkin. Both my Navasota Rattlers and the Gilmer Buckeyes played a lights out game and it was back and forth from the opening kickoff. Very well played and overall very well officiated game. We had a couple of iffy calls and so did Gilmer, but in the long run they did not change the game in my opinion. Gilmer made the plays when they had to and that was the difference in the game. My Rattlers proved to everyone that when they are on they can play with anyone and have a chance to win. My heart goes out to the senior boys on this team as they have given thier heart and soul this year.

Now, to the Gilmer people, you were some of the loudest and classiest fans I have ever seen in a playoff game. Yes, you voiced some disagreement with a call or two, but once the next play started, it was back to being loud and rowdy. You guys and gals really come out to support your team and I love seeing that.

To the group of Gilmer fans that showed true class and appreciation by going to the side of the stands where the Rattler players were exiting the field after the game, they heard your cheers and congratulations and more than one made comments to me later that they really appreciated the opposition recognizing them.

I will say that I was disapointed that no one showed up to meet me under the scoreboard at halftime. I stayed there in my blue Rattler shirt for the entire half and had no takers. Sorry i did not get to meet you.

I have been told the game next week against Cuero is tentatively set for SHSU Bearcat Stadium in Huntsville. Let me know because I would love to come cheer the Buckeyes on.

I posted this on another thread and just want you to know that sometimes, even when you lose, you have to give credit where credit is due. No Navasota fan that i know of will say any different about this game.

navscanmaster
11-28-2009, 11:43 PM
I typically will point out parts of the game that were responsible for the outcome. Not really any complaining, though. I will remark when it is obvious there is home cooking, which is a lot harder to spot nowadays. Refs used to get away with it all the time. I think they are more accountable for their actions now. Heck, when I was in school, we had a basketball ref from Navasota that was harder on us than the opponent in every game!

wimbo_pro
11-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
OldBison75
All-District

Member #: 7729

No Navasota fan that i know of will say any different about this game.

Wow...a supporter who lost a game and didnt make excuses or belittle the opposing team. A new concept on these boards, at least as of late.

Good on ya, OldBison. Good on ya.

Eagle 1
11-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by VWG

Hopefully your not a texas longhorn fan.

XtremeCouture
11-28-2009, 11:50 PM
so if you're awesome qb and awesome rb get injured in the second quarter when they are leading 28-14 or so and the other team comes back and wins 31-28, would you say the better team won or possibly injuries had something to do with the outcome?

BullsFan
11-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I think it's only natural to try and analyze what caused you to lose, especially when it's a big game or a critical one. You're going to look at what went wrong and what could have happened differently. Part of that is going to be internal, part of it external. Talking about injuries or play calling or playing poorly or up to potential isn't always whining. Sometimes it's just why you lost. And certainly at this level, when a loss means the end of your season, there's very little left to do except talk about why you lost.

SintonFan
11-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by VWG

Very well put! Kudos for stating what many of us believe in.:clap: :clap: :clap:
:)

trojandad
11-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by VWG

while i completely agree with the point it sounds like you're trying to make, the definitions of "humble" and "character" by your definitions are narrow and as biased as the "whiners", as you call them....

for instance, when we beat wos, wos87 came online and made the point that his buddies had been saying "get them next year" for several years now, a jab that i took to mean the powers that be could be doing a better job with their talent.....i didn't take that as "un" humble reply or a lack of character, i took it as venting frustration about his coaching staff without knocking his players.....on that same game, i said we absolutely couldn't beat them without the number of turnovers they gave us, i believe that to this day, its not me being humble, its the God's honest truth.....

i think some of the "excuses" you gave differed in degrees tremendously, referees are a facet of the game that if one doesn't learn to just accept and move on, one can't win anything at this level, whereas people have to be given some type of leeway to be able to criticize themselves while staying away from criticizing the other team or players.....self critique is never a bad thing, carrying it to the next point of saying "you couldn't have won if our coaches didn't do this or that" is far beyond self critiquing.....

lots of potential arrogance, whether its intentional or no, comes from telling people they should react like me or they are now categorized as "whiners" or "kids" or "too emotional" or 100 other titles.....i'm glad you respond to wins and losses as you do, i don't care to change or namecall you on your reactions however you choose to respond to my responses to a game is up to you......i think the key, for me at least, is always to respond to someone on this board the same way i would respond to them if standing right in front of them, too many people on here find bravery of namecalling in anonymity and that doesn't seem to be a means to integrity either.....