PDA

View Full Version : Former Burnet WR Shipley named semifinalist...

spaniard
11-24-2009, 05:28 PM
for the Biletnikoff Award

Deuce
11-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Well deserved!!

Charlie47
11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Way to go Jordan!:D :clap:

sinton66
11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Well deserved!!

spaniard
11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
to be honest, i really wasn't sure how he would fare at a d1 school like ut. i knew he was stinkin fast and could catch almost anything thrown in his direction, but i always had my doubts because of his size. but then again, i see guys like wes welker from new england, that are speedy smaller slot receivers having great success in the nfl. it's really pretty exciting to see a guy that you watched throughout his high school years having the success he's had. so yeah, definitely congrats to him, because it is well deserved.

Old Dog
11-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Scouts have commented on Jordan's ability to run precise routes. This may give him just the edge to make it with the big boys! There is also no doubt in his desire to excel and he has so much heart.......I feel he will make it!

gobbler grad
11-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Deuce
Well deserved!!

absolutely...:clap:

injuredinmelee
11-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I believe he said at the beginning of the year that he wasnt interested in playng professional football. Hope he changes his mind. Would give him lots of money and time to pursue his music career.
The thing that has impressed me the most about Shipley since high school is his immediate burst to get to full speed and his ability to cut and return to full speed. His lateral movement is amazing.

c-town_balla
11-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Finalist not semifinalist

spaniard
11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
i didn't realize they already had the finalists chosen, only list i could find was the semifinalists. thanks for the correction c_town!

GATAPride77
11-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Colt would be just an average or slightly above average QB without Shipley. Shipley is a beast and the best player on the Longhorn team.

injuredinmelee
11-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by GATAPride77
Colt would be just an average or slightly above average QB without Shipley. Shipley is a beast and the best player on the Longhorn team.

I dont know about all that but Shipley should def be in the Heisman consideration.

c-town_balla
11-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Senior WR Jordan Shipley has been named a finalist for the 2009 Biletnikoff Award, honoring the nation’s top wide receiver, the Tallahassee Quarterback Club has announced.

Shipley is the first Longhorn to be named a finalist for the award, which Quan Cosby was a semifinalist for last season.

Also a finalist for the Wuerffel Trophy, Shipley has caught 91 passes for 1,204 yards (13.2 ypc) and nine TDs this season. The 91 receptions rank third on UT’s single-season list, the 1,204 yards are a single-season record and the nine TDs are tied for fourth. His 8.3 receptions per game rank fifth nationally and his 109.5 receiving yards per game are sixth. He has six 100-yard receiving games this season (t-No. 2 on UT’s single-season list), which is double the amount he had coming into the season, and he’s caught at least seven passes in eight of UT’s 11 games, including five with at least 10 catches.

Shipley is one of just two players nationally to post five double-digit catch games and six 100-yard receiving games. In addition to his receiving skills, Shipley has returned 23 punts for 306 yards and two TDs. His 13.3 ypr average ranks 15th nationally (first Big 12) and his 142.8 all-purpose yards per game rank 30th (third Big 12). Shipley has posted at least 100 all-purpose yards in eight of 11 games this season.

Over the last five games, Jordan Shipley has posted 40 catches for 599 yards (15.0 ypc) and six TDs. He is averaging eight catches and 119.8 yards per game over that stretch. Of the 40 catches, 25 have gone for first downs (62.5%).

During his 50-game career (32 starts), Shipley has recorded 223 receptions (No. 2 on UT’s all-time list) for 2,910 yards (No. 3 on UT’s all-time list) and 29 TDs (No. 2 on UT’s all-time list). He is the only player in UT history to record multiple seasons with 80 or more receptions and one of just two receivers to notch multiple 1,000-yard seasons with Roy Williams being the other.

He has tallied eight games with at least 10 catches and nine 100-yard receiving games (t-No. 2 on UT’s all-time list) during his career and has produced five games with at least 11 receptions (there are only 10 on UT record). Shipley has caught a TD pass in 18 of his last 27 games and scored TDs in eight of 11 games this season with nine receiving TDs and two punt return TDs.

With three punt return TDs and a kickoff return for a TD (96 yards vs. Oklahoma, 2008) during his career, Shipley holds the UT record for return TDs with four and is just the fourth Longhorn to return a kickoff and a punt for a TD during a career. His three career punt return TDs are tied for first on UT’s all-time list with Aaron Ross (2003-06) and Jim Moore (1971-73). Shipley averages 12.8 yards per punt return (29-for-370) and 25.4 yards per kickoff return (17-for-432) during his career. He also serves as UT’s holder.

Shipley is one of the team’s most active and dedicated members to community service both with team activities and individually. Each Friday before home games, the Longhorns visit the Dell Children’s Medical Center, and Shipley is a constant participant, however he returns on his own for more personal visits. He also is very active in speaking before church, school and other community groups all over the state of Texas.

Having earned his undergraduate degree in kinesiology in December 2008, Shipley is currently enrolled in graduate school in the same area and holds a 3.44 GPA. He is a four-time member of UT's Athletics Director's honor roll and earned the Provost Award for a 4.0 GPA in the fall 2008 semester.

The winner of the 2009 Biletnikoff Award will be announced from the three finalists, which also include Notre Dame’s Golden Tate and Bowling Green’s Freddie Barnes, on Dec. 10 on the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show and the award will be presented on Feb. 13, 2010, in Tallahassee, Fla.

Deuce
11-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by GATAPride77

Obvious HATER!

squid
11-25-2009, 05:54 PM
forget his speed, pass catching abilities, awards, who he plays for, musical talent.....the kid eats at Harolds BBQ, that's what makes him a good ol' boy.

zebrablue2
11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I believe he said at the beginning of the year that he wasnt interested in playng professional football. Hope he changes his mind. Would give him lots of money and time to pursue his music career.
The thing that has impressed me the most about Shipley since high school is his immediate burst to get to full speed and his ability to cut and return to full speed. His lateral movement is amazing.

and the best part--- a great pair of hands... that kid don't miss many!! hope he will play pro ball, cause I know he will make the cut....

bobcat4life
11-25-2009, 10:04 PM
He is a great player and has all the tools to be a NFL reciever.

gobblerfan34
11-26-2009, 03:51 AM
congratulations, great player, well deserved nomination

WILDGOBBLERCAT
11-26-2009, 04:06 AM
He is a phenomenal player, I just hope he has a really bad day today. :)

Rocket
11-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Jaxon is just like him.

Inmateboss
11-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Jaxon is just like him.

Musical?? and eats at Harolds BBQ!!!!:thinking: