PDA

View Full Version : Former WO-S Earl Thomas finalist for the 2009 Thorpe Award

WO-S 89
11-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Texas sophomore safety Earl Thomas has been selected as a finalist for the 2009 Thorpe Award, honoring the nation’s top defensive back. Thomas will attempt to become Texas’ third winner of the award in the last five years, following S Michael Huff in 2005 and CB Aaron Ross in 2006. Thomas has posted 57 tackles (37 solo), seven INTs, 15 PBU and a forced fumble in 2009. His 22 passes defended rank first nationally and his seven INTs are tied for the third most. The seven INTs are also tied for first on UT’s single-season list, which is the oldest standing Longhorn record after first being set in 1940. In addition, Thomas has returned two of his seven INTs for TDs (92 and 31 yards), making him one of only six players nationally to do so. The two INT returns for TDs are tied for first on UT’s single-season list. His 149 INT return yards this season rank second on UT’s single-season list and are fifth nationally. Thomas has been named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week twice for his performances against UTEP and Oklahoma. For his career, Thomas has started all 24 games and posted 129 tackles (88 solo), seven TFL, nine INTs, 32 PBU and five forced fumbles. Thomas is an active member of the Longhorns’ community service program, including regularly spending time with children from the Dell Children’s Medical Center. He also is a member of the Longhorn Leaders program and has served as a mentor in his hometown. The Jim Thorpe Association announced the three finalists, including Tennessee’s Eric Berry and Florida’s Joe Haden, who will be invited to the nationally telecast Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show on December 10. The winner will be announced on the show and the official presentation will be at a formal banquet in Oklahoma City on Feb. 9, 2010.

pirate4state
11-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Awesome

wimbo_pro
11-24-2009, 04:19 PM
We were talking about Earl Thomas just the other night. He is the ONLY player ever to run down my nephew from behind (in the Wimberley-WOS game of '05). Mikey said he was ready to do his end zone dance after running a good 50 yards or so right up the middle and then *surprise*.....brought down from behind!! We still laugh about this one quite a bit.

Mikey also has met Earl a few times in track and I think in the all Star game the next year. He calls Earl one of the coolest guys he has met. I told him that we will probably see Earl play ball for many, many years....could be for 10 or more. I look forward to it.

catgut
11-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Why does both he and Colt McCoy wear number 12?

PhiI C
11-24-2009, 06:30 PM
:clap:

wimbo_pro
11-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by catgut
Why does both he and Colt McCoy wear number 12?

I THOUGHT THEY WERE THE SAME PERSON!!!!!!

gobblerfan34
11-27-2009, 02:56 AM
really great player, who will be playing on Sundays very shortly, he could really help the cowboys when he is done at UT

GO MEAN GREEN

griff
11-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan34
really great player, who will be playing on Sundays very shortly, he could really help the cowboys when he is done at UT
GO MEAN GREEN

I'd like to see him help the Texans.

Old Tiger
11-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by catgut
Why does both he and Colt McCoy wear number 12? because when Earl went to Texas he wanted to be like Colt