PDA

View Full Version : Region III GotW: Caldwell vs Carthage

Global Swarming
11-21-2009, 07:58 PM
The game is in Corsicana Friday night at 7:30. I don't know how well we match up with them but we should be able to hold our own. The defense played very well last night but the offense was a little sluggish. Cleveland ran the same offense as us so there wasn't any surprises. Let me know what y'all think about this game. I know that we will probably be pretty big underdogs.

marlin fan
11-21-2009, 08:21 PM
yeah my "mom" was at the game last night she was texting me updates it sounded like a scary game. i wish all the best for caldwell!!!

Global Swarming
11-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah it was a nail biter. Any one big play for either team would have won it. But the defenses really stood tall for both teams. It definately was a war of nerves.

marlin fan
11-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah since Killeen Lost last night i might make the trip to Corsicana to see this game!

Global Swarming
11-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Hopefully it will be worth the trip.

marlin fan
11-21-2009, 08:51 PM
yeah it should. i havent seen carthages band before so that should be exciting of course lol

HEMOTOXIC
11-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I may try to make this one, stay the night, then head to Lufkin Saturday.

Go Swarm!

Global Swarming
11-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I wish I could make this one but I will be in Arkansas spending Thanksgiving with a buddy. I wish that I could sneak away friday afternoon but my significant other won't hear of it. So I just have to wish that it's on the web so that I can at least listen to it. Does anyone know if it will be on the internet or not?

CHS_CG
11-21-2009, 11:04 PM
I will be there along with HornetMom... gunna be a long saturday though... I will have to be at work at 6am the next day.

OldBison75
11-21-2009, 11:37 PM
To all my friends from Caldwell, great win in overtime and you have proven that you are champions. When the going is tough and you need to make a play, you seem to find a way to win every week.

I predicted on the contest brackets that Caldwell would beat Carthage and have said that was my pick on several threads and nothing has changed. I think you guys will return to normal smooth operation of the slot this week and take it to the defending champs. That slot will control the clock and control the game and at the end, the Hornets will have stug the bulldogs.

Caldwell 28
Carthage 14

Matthew328
11-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I will be there also!

tigerfan09
11-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
I wish I could make this one but I will be in Arkansas spending Thanksgiving with a buddy. I wish that I could sneak away friday afternoon but my significant other won't hear of it. So I just have to wish that it's on the web so that I can at least listen to it. Does anyone know if it will be on the internet or not?

I am thinking that KMIL - 105.1 The Ranch out of Cameron might broadcast this game. www.kmil.com

trojandad
11-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
To all my friends from Caldwell, great win in overtime and you have proven that you are champions. When the going is tough and you need to make a play, you seem to find a way to win every week.

I predicted on the contest brackets that Caldwell would beat Carthage and have said that was my pick on several threads and nothing has changed. I think you guys will return to normal smooth operation of the slot this week and take it to the defending champs. That slot will control the clock and control the game and at the end, the Hornets will have stug the bulldogs.

Caldwell 28
Carthage 14

i'm rooting for caldwell also, just don't share bison's belief they will double up carthage....might be their second OT game in 2 weeks......good luck.....

Matthew328
11-22-2009, 06:29 PM
gotta find a good place for pregame meal

Global Swarming
11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't know anything about Corsicana other than Richland Chambers is an awesome white bass lake lol. I'm hoping that KMIL will cover the game. It's going to suck not being able to be there and then not be able to listen to it on top of that.

Buckeye80
11-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Gonna be Carthage's toughest foe thus far as it should be. I think Mexia showed some vulnerabilities in the Bulldog defense, and those should be corrected by the time the Hornets come calling.

Bulldogs 34
Hornets 20

Aesculus gilmus
11-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Carthage games are carried by KGAS:

http://www.theheartbeatofeasttexas.com/sports.htm

Global Swarming
11-22-2009, 08:17 PM
That's good to know that it will carried on the web. I typed in Carthage radio stations earlier and found this station but didn't know if they were going to carry it.

yoe64
11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Kmil 105.1 the ranch will also be streaming on kmil.com.

Global Swarming
11-22-2009, 08:37 PM
That's cool at least I know that I'll get to listen to it thanks for the info

yoe64
11-22-2009, 09:22 PM
The game will be on the internet at www.kmil.com

Daddy B 12
11-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Should be a good one. Wel have to see how Carthage's D does against the good ol' Slot-T :D

Have they faced it since playing LH in 07?

navscanmaster
11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Daddy B 12
Should be a good one. Wel have to see how Carthage's D does against the good ol' Slot-T :D

Have they faced it since playing LH in 07?

Caldwell is hard to stop, but not hard to slow down. The problem is if they have a lead in the fourth quarter, you may never get the ball back to have a chance.

OldBison75
11-22-2009, 10:53 PM
If Caldwell has the Slot-T working like they can, Carthage may only get a couple of possessions per half. If that happens, Caldwell can win against anybody.

I have seen Caldwell go one seven or eight minute drives consistently all year and don't expect anything different this week. Carthage will have to get them in third and long to have a chance and nobody has been able to do that since week 1.

Hornet Mom 2
11-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Going with my Hornets of course. We have more to prove than Carthage -- and our boys want it more than anything. Like I said about Cleveland last week, no score prediction, it will be close, but the Hornets will come out ahead.

87 TIGER
11-23-2009, 05:12 AM
Caldwell by 1.
Good luck Hornets

Superbacker 00'
11-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Sting that butt hornets!!!

Hornets by 7:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Matthew328
11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I am looking forward to watching Caldwell...would love to meet some of their fans they seem great...CHS_CG you are included :)

tigerfan09
11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
The Caldwell Hornets face the #2 ranked Carthage Bulldogs on Friday, November 27th in Corsicana at 7:30pm. Catch the game live on 105.1 The Ranch-KMIL/Cameron, or online at www.kmil.com

waterboy
11-23-2009, 02:32 PM
This game is pretty much a toss-up. Carthage's defense is very good against the run, though, and that may be the difference. If Caldwell can pass effectively, and keep the Bulldog defense guessing, then they might be able to pull off the upset. If I had to guess, I would say Carthage by 8.:cool:

icu812
11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
This game is pretty much a toss-up. Carthage's defense is very good against the run, though, and that may be the difference. If Caldwell can pass effectively, and keep the Bulldog defense guessing, then they might be able to pull off the upset. If I had to guess, I would say Carthage by 8.:cool:

I was at the Carthage/Mexia game. I agree Carthage has a good D but Mexia's QB & TB ran all over them. Carthage was able to get 1 stop on a 4th down play in the 1st half plus one lost fumble. Other than that Mexia couldn't be stopped. However, Mexia is VERY good offensively and the QB & TB are D1 athletes.
So it's possible to run on Carthage but...........

Beside 1 INT Mexia never got a stop on D against Carthage. That O-line for Carthage is just incredible. QB & TB are solid but of course nothing like last year. Very balanced offense. TE is the best I've seen. Good receivers to.

Terrific game and both coaching staffs made some great play calls on offense. I knew Mexia would be good but I had no idea they were that good. Amazing number of great athletes on both teams.

Carthage couldn't stop Mexia and they still won so I don't know what Caldwell has but if they beat Carthage they got alot!!

waterboy
11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I felt like Carthage may have underestimated Mexia. I know Mexia's offense gave Gilmer fits last year, so I knew it was possible that Mexia could give Carthage all they wanted and more. The same thing happened to Carthage that happened to Gilmer last year against Mexia, with the same result, they both handed Mexia a tough loss. There's a big difference between Caldwell and Mexia, though. Not to say that one is better than the other, but they have totally different offenses. I think any team that can run a zone read offense like Mexia will pose problems for a defense, especially with athletes like Davis and Gentry. Like I say, though, I think Caldwell will have to pass the ball effectively to win. Maybe just a few play-action passes, but I honestly think Carthage can stop them in the red zone if they run exclusively. I've been wrong before, but that's the way I see it. :cool:

icu812
11-23-2009, 03:36 PM
waterboy, u maybe right Mexia was very balanced. They attacked the entire field effectively with the pass which is probably why they were able to run the ball so well.

Carthage's D line was good but I'd like to see their O-line play both ways. I'm thinking those beasts could shut down a run based offense.

waterboy
11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
.....And there may be a possibilty of that happening if the defense has trouble stopping it. I think they should probably use them big ol' boys from the O-line on the D-line just to clog the middle if they are not getting any penetration. I know that if I was a coach I would........especially if I was having trouble up the middle.

oldtownag
11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
The Carthage DL #71 has been a beast for two years now. He was totally taken out of the game vs. Mexia. I expect him to be back again this week.

LoveTheHornets
11-23-2009, 04:46 PM
If you haven't been over to Smoaky.com, head over there and read some of the forum posts about this game. They have some more discussion about the Carthage-Mexia game. Maybe give everyone some extra insight. We don't get a lot of East Texans on this site, and many of the posters on Smoaky don't even know where Caldwell is.

LoveTheHornets
11-23-2009, 04:48 PM
And yes, I have noticed the posters from Van and Gilmer on this thread!! But many people on Smoaky had never heard of Caldwell.

waterboy
11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by LoveTheHornets
And yes, I have noticed the posters from Van and Gilmer on this thread!! But many people on Smoaky had never heard of Caldwell.
BTW, where the heck is Caldwell?:D

oldtownag
11-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I used to live near there during college. I don't remember much about it though.

ProudHornetMom
11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
BTW, where the heck is Caldwell?:D

25 miles southwest of Bryan/College Station.

44INAROW
11-23-2009, 06:45 PM
good luck to my good friends from Caldwell ;)

OldBison75
11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Caldwell is a small town near Aggieland that produces tough kids that love the game of football. Over the years they have had some really good individual players that have gone on to good college careers.

This year, the Hornets have gone to a new level with the term team. When they played my Rattlers, they used the slot-t to perfection and made long time consuming drives to eat the clock. On defense, they had the perfect game plan to neutralize the spead of the Rattlers and even though one player was starting for the first time, they dominated. That fist time player just ate the rattler offense up all night.

I have seen it said that if they can't pass enough to keep the Carthage defense honest, they will be in trouble. All I can say is that they can pass when needed and they seldom have needed to. Like another slot-t team that won a couple of State Championships, Caldwell will pound you and pound you for three or four yards at a time and then break one for 60 when you tighten up your run defense. It is very demoralizing when you know what is coming and can't stop it from gaining yards. I would bet that there are less than 10 times this year the Hornets have lost yardage on a running play.

If Caldwell dos not turn the ball over on fumbles or pass interceptions, they will beat anybody.

tog
11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Will always pull for the hornets.
Dale Williams is one of the best out there.

CHS_CG
11-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by tog
Will always pull for the hornets.
Dale Williams is one of the best out there.

Can you make it to our game?? Some of the Caldwell fans miss seein ya!

tog
11-24-2009, 10:12 PM
where is it at?

tog
11-24-2009, 10:14 PM
never mind

corsicana

friday?

I might just have to show up for that one.

Go hornets!

Yoe_09
11-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I think this will probably be a tight lower scoring game. I do feel that Caldwell will be able to move the ball and do some things pretty well. Carthage should be able to get some points on the Caldwell D. I feel that in the end Carthage will be able to come out and just have a little more and win by 3.

trojandad
11-25-2009, 10:39 AM
well, i've waited this long to vote cause the cleveland game made me start questioning the hornets, but then i guess the same could be said for carthage's close game.....i think the overtime win shows what i was saying about the navasota game, that they are big game sharpened.....

if the hornets stay close, i think they might just have the mental edge late having been there a few times.....i think its up to the hornet defense as last week showed the offense can be held down in points by a good defense....

so heres my vote for caldwell in their biggest nailbiter of the year, both teams will feel like they've won and lost the game ten times before this one is over.....happy Thanksgiving hornetmom, this one will be fun....

caldwell 14
carthage 10

ps, please beat each other up real good (no injuries please) so we have a shot against the winner the next week should we get past lorena........lol

Global Swarming
11-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't know who will win this one and I don't make predictions. I do know that over on smoaky.com the Carthage fans have already written their names on the state championship trophy. I don't know how many of them post over here but if I lived in Carthage I would be ashamed. They have got to be the cockiest bunch of posters that I have ever seen and there have been quite a few of them on here. The ones that I have seen on here have been classy. But the ones that are on the other site well, that's another story. I know that every town has them. We have had a few. I'm sure that I have said some things on here that may have offended a few people on here. I know that we get caught up in the moment or the big game that's ahead of our team and it reflects in some of our posts. I definately hope that the Carthage football team feels the same way that the posters do. Because that can only help us in the game. Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. I will heading out to Arkansas this evening so I would appreciate your prayers for a safe trip. Be careful on your way to and from the games may God go with you.

ProudHornetMom
11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Doesn't bother us that someone wrote their name already on the state trophy. All the bravado on the the forums and in the stands doesn't mean a hill of beans...it's what the two teams bring and do on the field Friday night. If boastful, wise-arse cockiness got any of us anywhere...we'd all be state champions. No wait....Brownwood would be the world champions. ;) :D

trojandad
11-25-2009, 03:41 PM
i'd let them write their name on it, as long as i took it home with me in 4 games......i'm easy that way......write away......:kiss:

HEMOTOXIC
11-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't know who will win this one and I don't make predictions. I do know that over on smoaky.com the Carthage fans have already written their names on the state championship trophy. I don't know how many of them post over here but if I lived in Carthage I would be ashamed. They have got to be the cockiest bunch of posters that I have ever seen and there have been quite a few of them on here. The ones that I have seen on here have been classy. But the ones that are on the other site well, that's another story. I know that every town has them. We have had a few. I'm sure that I have said some things on here that may have offended a few people on here. I know that we get caught up in the moment or the big game that's ahead of our team and it reflects in some of our posts. I definately hope that the Carthage football team feels the same way that the posters do. Because that can only help us in the game. Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving. I will heading out to Arkansas this evening so I would appreciate your prayers for a safe trip. Be careful on your way to and from the games may God go with you.

I remember a team by the name of Sealy. Many of their posters were pretty sure that the Needville BlueJays were going to get blown off the field. It didn't happen. Matter of fact, Sealy needed a last minute td to get the victory.

Let them boast, brag, and even claim their state championship trophy. But, around here we know that the Caldwell Hornets will come out ready to play. And, it is a promise that Caldwell will not give the Bulldogs anything.

Good Luck to both teams.

Go Hornets!

p.s. Have a safe trip & a heart warmed Thanksgiving.

Barney Stinson
11-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Over the years they have had some really good individual players that have gone on to good college careers.

Are we all talking about the same Caldwell? :doh:

1st and goal
11-26-2009, 09:24 AM
GO HORNETS!!!

I'm rootin for ya. Hold on to the ball when you have it and steal it from them when they have it. Do this and you will win.

zebrablue2
11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Doesn't bother us that someone wrote their name already on the state trophy. All the bravado on the the forums and in the stands doesn't mean a hill of beans...it's what the two teams bring and do on the field Friday night. If boastful, wise-arse cockiness got any of us anywhere...we'd all be state champions. No wait....Brownwood would be the world champions. ;) :D

best of luck to the hornets. i saw them once this year and they are a well oiled machine.. carthage had 6/5 starters back from last yrs. st. championship, so there is experience there. pass this test caldwell, and the sky is the limit.. GO HORNETS!!!:2thumbsup

mwynn05
11-27-2009, 10:54 AM
im in ff so i will probably be there

oldtownag
11-27-2009, 11:17 AM

The tone of Smoaky.com posters is very different than 3ADL. If you don't like what you read over their you should stay here. We will be much nicer!

P.S. We are going to kick Caldwells butt! HA! HA!

OldBison75
11-27-2009, 11:52 AM
To the Caldwell Hornet faithful:

You have proven this year that the Hornets are for REAL!!! You have shown the swagger and determination to be classified as winners. Every challenge has been accepted and met all year and I expect no different this week. Remember the attitude and determination that I saw on that Friday night in Caldwell when you lined up and manhandled the Rattlers. If you can match that preparation, determination, and execution this week, the defending State Champs will be a memory on your journey to the top.

I have seen you play and seen the way you can execute that "prehistoric and unexciting" offense and can testify that that offense can wear down and score on anybody. Do what you do best and pound the ball and chew up the clock. Defensively, hit fast, hit hard, and sting the Bulldogs all night.

I am looking forward to the Hornets being in the finals and will be yelling loudly for you guys tonight.

Sting'em Hornets. The Rattlers are in your corner.

HEMOTOXIC
11-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Good Luck!

Go Hornets! Swarm the 'Dogs!

trojan37
11-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I believe my son and I will make this game tonight. I'm looking forward to a good game between these two teams. Does anyone know who the home team is, or did I just miss it already in this thread?

CHS_Grad '85
11-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Carthage is the home team

trojan37
11-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
Carthage is the home team

Guess I will be sitting on the visitors side then!

CHS_CG
11-27-2009, 04:23 PM
HornetMom, lil CHS_CG and I are on the way now... man I love my direct connect card!

oldtownag
11-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Dawgs gonna bite tonight.

Everyone have a safe trip. I will be leaving about 4:30!

Showbiz
11-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Carthage 42

Caldwell 0

at the half!

mwynn05
11-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Absolute beatdown

IHStangFan
11-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Absolute beatdown :iagree:

Ranger Mom
11-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Absolute beatdown

Did you go?

trojan37
11-28-2009, 12:35 AM
God, this game was ugly. Carthage was all over Caldwell from the opening kickoff. Carthage had in the subs to start the 3rd qtr, and that is the only reason they got half way back into it. Once Carthage put the 1st string back in, it was over. Too much speed.

oldtownag
11-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Just back from the Game. Carthage D showed up this week and held Caldwell scoreless in 1st half. 2nd team gave up a bunch of points in 2nd but the game was never in doubt. Carthage O played awesome and they scored at will.

zebrablue2
11-28-2009, 02:34 AM
good year hornets.. very proud of you!!!

Barney Stinson
11-28-2009, 02:57 AM
Absolute beatdown

First half the Caldwell coaching staff all had this look going on... :doh:

marlin fan
11-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah this game was pretty ugly Carthage has 3 things going for them.... color is red(my fav color) they are bulldogs(ima bulldog) and thier school song is the same as Marlins!!!! however was a lil upset that all of thier fans left the stadium before the the game was over i thought that was rude

LH Panther Mom
11-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Hornets - you had a GREAT season and have no reason not to keep your heads high. PHM, hug your young man for me! I hope we get to see you at some PL meets. :kiss:

LH Panther Mom
11-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by marlin fan
and thier school song is the same as Marlins!!!!
How were the bands? :)

marlin fan
11-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
How were the bands? :) they were good exp love carthage since they play marlins school song and they march military style!!!