PDA

View Full Version : Carthage 2009 vs. Carthage 2008

Milk That Cow
11-23-2009, 04:48 PM
For you Carthage Folks, how does this 2009 squad compare to the 2008 Squad?

oldtownag
11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Defense - A Bit Better
Offense - Almost as good
Overall - Close

ProudHornetMom
11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
:thinking:

Milk That Cow
11-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Defense - A Bit Better
Offense - Almost as good
Overall - Close

If this is true, I would be Very Surprised if Carthage doesn't repeat as State Champions...

That 2008 Carthage Team was the best 3A team I've seen since the 90's...

They were Loaded...

Hornet Fans, y'all better get those Caldwell Boys ready to play the game of their lives in Corsicana...

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes defense is better..but imo the offense of 08 is far and beyond the 09 edition..NOT saying the 09 version is bad on offense, in fact very good, but that 08 Tandem of amazing OL and truly gifted QB and RB puts the 08 offense on the next level above this year's squad

easttexas3a
11-25-2009, 03:33 AM
In the two games of carthage I saw I came away thinking they were about the same in every aspect except there qb is not as good making things happen as the blackshire kid was. The carthage qb is good, but when things break down he can't get you out of a jam. And the second thing is Dwight Smith is one of those once in 10 years type of athletes, they don't have a "freak" running the ball this year. Still a very very good team. Saw them play Jasper and Jacksonville.

ctown
11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Haven't seen them this year but taking at face value the comment that the D is better and the O being a little down, Carthage should still be heavy favorite to win. Smith was truly unique. Celina did rack up some good points and yardage in the title game but we would have had to make zero mistakes and score every drive to have had a chance to win last year.

Any RB will be considered a little down compared to Smith. The O line last year was truly a great one and if they have most players back, that may be the real indicator of how good they are on offense. Scoring most every series but taking %30 more plays to get there is still scoring most every series...

If Carthage still scores the same TD to possession ratio and the D is improved, I say this year's team is better. IMO

waterboy
11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Yes defense is better..but imo the offense of 08 is far and beyond the 09 edition..NOT saying the 09 version is bad on offense, in fact very good, but that 08 Tandem of amazing OL and truly gifted QB and RB puts the 08 offense on the next level above this year's squad
I agree with that ^^^. The Carthage defense is better than last year, but their offense is not as good ----- still good, but not as good as last year. They still have 4 players from that same mammoth offensive line from last year. I think I could probably rush for 100 yards behind that line.:D

BaseballUmp
11-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I even heard Brandon Rhyder talking about his carthage bulldogs, and as a matter of fact, it was as I was driving through Caldwell on my way home from san marcos lol

icu812
11-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I've also seen both versions and I agree with ^^^ as well. Having said that though they still have a decent shot at state.

ProudHornetMom
11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Hornet Fans, y'all better get those Caldwell Boys ready to play the game of their lives in Corsicana...

Shoot, we're so relaxed and ready, coaches gave the team off this week. Told them to relax, eat with abandon and party hard until Friday around noonish. ;)

oldtownag
11-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Ok,

Here is my Carthage Offense Evaluation:

OL - Better (4 out of 5 returning starters)
TE - Better (returning starter)
WR - Better (returning starters)
RB - Down little (back up from last year is starter and he had over 1000 yards last year - hard runner)
QB - Down little (QB has progressed nicely and is very accurate passer)

About all they are missing is Dwight Smith's break away threat.

Milk That Cow
11-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
If this is true, I would be Very Surprised if Carthage doesn't repeat as State Champions...

That 2008 Carthage Team was the best 3A team I've seen since the 90's...

They were Loaded...

After seeing what Carthage did to Caldwell last night, I want to say I will be "shocked" if Carthage doesn't repeat as State Champions....

Matthew328
11-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I think overall Carthage is better...OL is massive, great group of receivers..QB is very accurate...RB not Smith but still pretty good and their D is SALTY

LE Dad
11-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Carthage vs Pittsburg:confused: :confused: All East Texas final:D

Just saying:evilgrin:

alaskacat
11-28-2009, 12:59 PM
If Pitt is missing Burns next week they wont get past PG, probably wont anyway.

PG might have one more week if they are lucky, depending on the luck of the draw.

Just my opinion. Neither could warm Cathage up.