PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Coaching Rumors...

TheDOCTORdre
11-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I know as of now Weis has his job but I've started to hear rumors that if he doesnt return next season, that TCU's Gary Patterson is on the short list of rumored canidates. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

Bullaholic
11-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
I know as of now Weis has his job but I've started to hear rumors that if he doesnt return next season, that TCU's Gary Patterson is on the short list of rumored canidates. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

TCU has enough $$$ to match anybody, and Patterson is very happy in Ft. Worth---it will take a ton---as in $4-$5mil+/yr to get him to leave.

pancho villa
11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
ESPN was saying the guy from Cincinnati Brian Kelly

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
TCU has enough $$$ to match anybody, and Patterson is very happy in Ft. Worth---it will take a ton---as in $4-$5mil+/yr to get him to leave.

you sure about that money thing....i hope he doesn't leave...i was amazed with the atmosphere in fort worth and the excitement on the campus the day of the utah game.....ft worth and texas need him and frogs....they're both good for college football in this state.

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
i would probably put chris peterson from boise state on that list.

Deuce
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I also heard Stoops name mentioned last week on ESPN radio. Also heard Kelly as a candidate.

JT44
11-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Wasn't John Gruden mentioned too?

TheDOCTORdre
11-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by JT44
Wasn't John Gruden mentioned too?

yeah but he just signed a contract extension with ESPN

playnhurt
11-23-2009, 12:40 PM
If any of you get it, please take me with you!

Gandalf
11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Gruden is an NFL guy he will not take that job. Good job for Kelly or any coach like that.

turbostud
11-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Maybe Stoops will leave and OU will bring back Barry Switzer.

IHStangFan
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Deuce
I also heard Stoops name mentioned last week on ESPN radio. Also heard Kelly as a candidate. Yup...been hearing Stoops' name thrown around too.

coach
11-23-2009, 01:12 PM
i heard urban meyer's name being thrown around too

coach
11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by coach

and as soon as i posted this i saw on espn that urban says that notre dame is not in his plans lol

Daddy D 11
11-23-2009, 01:18 PM

he is not leaving Florida.

DDBooger
11-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Brian Kelly from Cinci is my guess

injuredinmelee
11-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I have heard the Boise State guy also. I dont care who they get. If they are going to suck as bad as they already do let Weiss stay.

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I have heard the Boise State guy also. I dont care who they get. If they are going to suck as bad as they already do let Weiss stay.

maybe they should join a conference....hey let them in the big xii....that would be cool....kick out iowa state or somebody in the north and put notre dame in.

that golden tate is a heck of a player one of the better i saw this year.

injuredinmelee
11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Notre Dame should be forced to join a conference. The fact that college football has psecial rules for one school is B.S. BUt hey I guess even they are subject top the pressures of a religion and money.

BobcatBenny
11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Realistically, can Notre Dame compete as a top tier any longer?

injuredinmelee
11-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I dont think they can. The power has shifted to the southeast and southwest. Why go to a cold weather school when you can go to the SEC and get all the press. Only Ohio State has semi survived in the recruiting wars.

STANG RED
11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I could see this being a very desirable job for coaches to want many years ago. Seems to be more of a death sentence now though.Seriously, why would a top notch coach wan it? :confused: The challenge? It would certainly qualify for that.

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 01:40 PM

sure they can.....fact is everyone knows they are playing way below what they should........huge alumni base = money......tradition and exposure= recruits...they recruit the entire country and once they have a year that is expected of them watch out.

idk if they still do it but notre dame athletes had to go through the admission dept(meaning accepted by the dean of admissions not approved by the ad and hc) to get into the university...not like other universities.....like i said don't know if that happens anymore...heck at one time they didn't redshirt...but that has changed.....too many get on here and bash....and don't understand getting into notre dame is like getting into big state u.

now im not big irish fan....but it's hard to disrespect tradition and academic values.

Pick6
11-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
...too many get on here and bash....and don't understand getting into notre dame is like getting into big state u.

now im not big irish fan....but it's hard to disrespect tradition and academic values.

Besides the Ivy league and maybe a military team, no other school is harder to play for than Notre Dame.

BobcatBenny
11-23-2009, 02:16 PM
TCU ... is it really considered private?
BYU ...
Notre Dame ...

Who else is there in the private ranks that is competive?

Baylor? I am talking football here ...

I am sure I am overlooking someone.

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 02:18 PM
BYU ...
Notre Dame ...

stanford is doing good...miami has done great for along time and believe it or not usc has done really well......oh boston college holds their own.

charlesrixey
11-23-2009, 02:57 PM
so far i've heard from espn and others:

Brian Kelly #1 most mentioned
Pat Fitzgerald #2 thanks to beano cook

also mentioned:
Patterson--won't happen
Urban Meyer.....uh, no--he turned them down four years ago and much less reason to leave now
Jim Harbaugh, Stanford---decent possibility

Bob Stoops-Now this one i think is the most interesting even if it is not getting a lot of press. Oklahoma is 6-5 pending OkSt and loses Bradford next year. Stoops' magic has worn off and i think secretly that this would be a good move for him to make. Ill put it this way-if there was a time for Stoops to make a move, this is definately that season. I think he is def. better than fitzgerald or kelly.

stoops is used to high expectations and he is a winner, something they want.

Macarthur
11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
sure they can.....fact is everyone knows they are playing way below what they should........huge alumni base = money......tradition and exposure= recruits...they recruit the entire country and once they have a year that is expected of them watch out.

idk if they still do it but notre dame athletes had to go through the admission dept(meaning accepted by the dean of admissions not approved by the ad and hc) to get into the university...not like other universities.....like i said don't know if that happens anymore...heck at one time they didn't redshirt...but that has changed.....too many get on here and bash....and don't understand getting into notre dame is like getting into big state u.

Let me correct one thing. ND does not have a large alumni base. ND really is a small private school. Certainly, they have the exposure, tradition and money.

Deuce
11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Meyer and Stoops would be idiots to go there IMO. Notre Dame has been horrible for years and don't see that changing. With that said Kelly would go just to be at a bigger name school.

westtxfballfan
11-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I think they call Urban Meyer, and once he turns them down they call Stoops and then Brian Kelly.

Stoops is from Youngstown, Ohio, so it would get him closer to home. He comes from a large Catholic family (1 of 10 kids), went to Catholic high school (where his brother now coaches), etc. Lots of family still up there. It's not out of the question that he might want to resurrect arguably the greatest football program in college football history. (Most consensus NCs, most All-Americans, tied for most Heismans, 3rd most wins, etc.) And no, I'm not a Notre Dame fan.

Spread It Out
11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
BYU ...
Notre Dame ...

USC is a prestigious and private academic university. They only admit 22% of applicants, which believe it or not, is a lower number than Notre Dame who admits 27%.

5wide
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Weis, first of all is not college type of coach. He tried to make the Irish into the NFL version of the patriots. They def need a flashy coach( love to see stoops) that can recruit the south well such as stoops has for years...if you people think taking the HD coaching position at ND is a bad move then you are CRAZY!!!

BobcatBenny
11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
stanford is doing good...miami has done great for along time and believe it or not usc has done really well......oh boston college holds their own.
Yes your point is made ... I guess my mind leans more toward the sectarian when I think about private schools.

Sectarian like Notre Dame, BYU, Baylor, SMU or even ... TCU (if you are still counting it) is a whole different ball park.

Boston College is technically sectarian and Catholic ... but other than ruining a few hopefuls records ... when was the last time it seriously competed nationally? I guess in 2007 they made it to #2 in the polls and then slid sharply down?

USC and Miami may technically be private, but they being non-sectarian are going to have the ability be funded like a public institution, or so one might think. But ... I stand corrected. ;)

WTF-82
11-23-2009, 11:38 PM

no, they will try Stoops,Meyer but we know they want leave were they are at. Brian Kelley is the man that's who will be ND next coach another one was Gruden but?

Brian Kelley was supposed to sign a extension but he opted out for now. I really believe this is who ND will really go after.

WTF-82
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
maybe they should join a conference....hey let them in the big xii....that would be cool....kick out iowa state or somebody in the north and put notre dame in.

that golden tate is a heck of a player one of the better i saw this year.

As long as ND has NBC they will not join a conference and NBC and ND just signed another big extension last year. My guess if ND did ever join a conference would be Big 10 or the Big east

WTF-82
11-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Let me correct one thing. ND does not have a large alumni base. ND really is a small private school. Certainly, they have the exposure, tradition and money.

I disagree yes they are small and private but, are large allumi base nationwide specially in California,Texas(Houston),East Coast. You would be surprised. They also have the largest Sub Allumi around with people who just love the university (catholic school ) and what it means and support big time.

coach
11-24-2009, 07:37 AM
bill cower is another dark horse

TheDOCTORdre
11-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
As long as ND has NBC they will not join a conference and NBC and ND just signed another big extension last year. My guess if ND did ever join a conference would be Big 10 or the Big east

could we get a petetion to change the name of the Big Ten to something else...it really bothers me seeing as they have 11 schools

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 5wide
Weis, first of all is not college type of coach. He tried to make the Irish into the NFL version of the patriots. They def need a flashy coach( love to see stoops) that can recruit the south well such as stoops has for years...if you people think taking the HD coaching position at ND is a bad move then you are CRAZY!!!

one of the shocking things about Weis and his problems..Recruiting was not one of em. Most felt if he was to fail it would be not able to get top players to go to ND, he did that and did it well.

His problem has been gameplanning, defense, development of players and bad in game decisions.

StangEm
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM

I heard the same thing. I may be smoking here but something was mentioned about $10 million/yr in the conversation. Lemme check my sources.

NastySlot
11-24-2009, 10:43 AM
could we get a petetion to change the name of the Big Ten to something else...it really bothers me seeing as they have 11 schools

Tradition....their logo is good has the words big ten with and 11 in it.

http://www.bigten.org/