PDA

View Full Version : NFL Field Question

wyliefan
11-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Why do so many NFL teams have natural grass? The Bears field appears to be in terrible condition, additionally the Steelers a few weeks back looked worse. It would seem that they would switch to synthetic turf.

Does anyone know why so many teams prefer/have grass?

Keith7
11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
because it's better to play on

Old Dog
11-23-2009, 02:20 AM
I've always been told that grass creates fewer knee injuries than the rugs. Although, the turf like at UT does have a lot of give and loose particles that can be displaced. There was a recent photo in the Austin paper of Jordan Shipley putting the moves on a DB and black material was flying everywhere under his feet.

Keith7
11-23-2009, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
I've always been told that grass creates fewer knee injuries than the rugs. Although, the turf like at UT does have a lot of give and loose particles that can be displaced. There was a recent photo in the Austin paper of Jordan Shipley putting the moves on a DB and black material was flying everywhere under his feet.

When you play on it, it gets in your cleats and socks.. no fun..

But really I like that the NFL plays on grass, it's kind of sad so many high schools have gone away from it. It adds another element to the game.

ivchris
11-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Count me as another fan of real grass.

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 09:29 AM
real grasss for me also......

interesting story....my son is a turf mangement and also a horticulture major....he recently was telling me about how the grass at Reliant stadium in moved in by sections on large plates...weekly....and that they can't water it before it goes in...that one time early on they did water it and in went into the stadium which was closed....we'll because of the moisture in the turf...it evaporated...condense and fell as precip....in the closed stadium........they should take grade school kids to see that.

Pendragon13
11-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
because it's better to play on Better than the old astroturf...but the newer field turf has cushion without "grabbing" cleats (and causing knee injuries) like the old stuff. Not to mention that field conditions stay the same rain or shine...and it no longer gets rock hard in freezing weather.

FmrPirate14
11-23-2009, 09:33 AM
..good ol grass..

Pendragon13
11-23-2009, 09:41 AM
A lot of high schools are going to field turf to save money in the long run. It takes a lot of time/effort and water to keep a grass field in good shape...especially in Texas with our brutal summers. Not having to contract out groundskeepers and no painting stripes/logos will pay for the cost of the field turf in a few years.

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Better than the old astroturf...but the newer field turf has cushion without "grabbing" cleats (and causing knee injuries) like the old stuff. Not to mention that field conditions stay the same rain or shine...and it no longer gets rock hard in freezing weather.

new field turf...(what ever) is over rated.......i do agree with you on cost....went one summer w/ my ad...to san antonio to talk to a rep selling field turf (Johnny Lam Jones)....he had a great point....right now with real grass we are paying to keep teams off the field so we can get a Friday night game in.....example if we get a few days of hard rain we would cancel or move all sub-varsity games so the field is ready for a friday night game....got me thinking...if i had to i would get it to save money etc and wear and tear on the field............but it's a new thing and like the old astro turf everyone is excited about it.

it was awesome talking to Lam Jones my AD had played against him in high school....football stories were good...but the track stories were even better.

PHOP
11-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Grass is King
I realize why schools go to the turf from a finance point of view. The installation of the turf field can be capitalized coupled with little operations & maintenance makes a turf field very appealing to city/school budgets. That being said I still like the grass fields; natural turf is the way the game was meant to be played. Grass stains and mud are being replaced with rug burn and rubber bee bees in your eyes.

ivchris
11-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Better than the old astroturf...but the newer field turf has cushion without "grabbing" cleats (and causing knee injuries) like the old stuff. Not to mention that field conditions stay the same rain or shine...and it no longer gets rock hard in freezing weather.

That's my main reason for liking grass. Home Field Advantage during the winter. I remember those classic Minnesota/Chicago games where the snow is falling so hard you can't see the players on the television, but then the Vikings went in doors too.
Look at Buffalo, New England, Chicago, Green Bay and those teams. Who wants to play them at home in December? They practice in it every day, so home field means something.

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
That's my main reason for liking grass. Home Field Advantage during the winter. I remember those classic Minnesota/Chicago games where the snow is falling so hard you can't see the players on the television, but then the Vikings went in doors too.
Look at Buffalo, New England, Chicago, Green Bay and those teams. Who wants to play them at home in December? They practice in it every day, so home field means something.

are the vikings going back outside?...the twins are and the gophers already have.

Txbroadcaster
11-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ivchris
Who wants to play them at home in December? They practice in it every day, so home field means something.

Not really..most teams if not all teams have either their own indoor place, or practise somewhere that does have an indoor place.

Bone Pile
11-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
new field turf...(what ever) is over rated.......i do agree with you on cost....went one summer w/ my ad...to san antonio to talk to a rep selling field turf (Johnny Lam Jones)....he had a great point....right now with real grass we are paying to keep teams off the field so we can get a Friday night game in.....example if we get a few days of hard rain we would cancel or move all sub-varsity games so the field is ready for a friday night game....got me thinking...if i had to i would get it to save money etc and wear and tear on the field............but it's a new thing and like the old astro turf everyone is excited about it.

it was awesome talking to Lam Jones my AD had played against him in high school....football stories were good...but the track stories were even better.
NastySlot, Keep in mind he is a salesman for that stuff so he has to tell you something positive. But that is a weak positive point.
Did he tell you that the field will be 20-35 degrees hotter than grass field?
Did he tell you the ratio of injuries for syn/grass?
Did he tell you how EXPENSIVE a syn field is?
Did he tell you about the maintenance needed for syn?
Did he tell you about the extra equipment needed to maintain a syn field?
Did he tell you about the health factors(bacteria) with syn fields?
Did he tell you the dust from the rubber cushion causes cancer?(this is because the rubber is old tires and the problems stem from the way the tires were made).
Did he tell you how some of the field will need to be replaced because of wear and tear?
Did he tell you that the field will need to be replaced in 10 years or so(depending on amount of play).

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Bone Pile
NastySlot, Keep in mind he is a salesman for that stuff so he has to tell you something positive. But that is a weak positive point.
Did he tell you that the field will be 20-35 degrees hotter than grass field?
Did he tell you the ratio of injuries for syn/grass?
Did he tell you how EXPENSIVE a syn field is?
Did he tell you about the maintenance needed for syn?
Did he tell you about the extra equipment needed to maintain a syn field?
Did he tell you about the health factors(bacteria) with syn fields?
Did he tell you the dust from the rubber cushion causes cancer?(this is because the rubber is old tires and the problems stem from the way the tires were made).
Did he tell you how some of the field will need to be replaced because of wear and tear?
Did he tell you that the field will need to be replaced in 10 years or so(depending on amount of play).

you have some great points....like i said not a fan of it....hey you know i've wonder about the tires and dust...that can't be good and i was also wondering about staph.....like i said in an earlier post i think (jmo) it's over-rated....its new...and something people like to brag about having.