PDA

View Full Version : The Mustang Bowl

Who-dun-it!!?
11-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Anybody playing in Sweetwater this week?

GetRDoneStangs
11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Anybody playing in Sweetwater this week?

We had 3-4 games working on and the wrong team lost ...I am not on the committee this year...but from what I was told it just did not work out.

Going to Tent to watch a 6 man game on Friday night!!!

Woodson vs. Highland

This will be a fun game to watch!!!

Snyder_TigerFan
11-22-2009, 10:07 PM
...would be a great place to play IF Brownwood and Graham both win this week.

Looking4number8
11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan

If we both win this week, I am betting on Shotwell in Abeline or maybe even Aledo

BwdLions
11-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
If we both win this week, I am betting on Shotwell in Abeline or maybe even Aledo

I like playing in Shotwell, but I do not care for the Abilene refs. :mad:

Ranger Mom
11-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Sweetwater is closer, so that would be better for me!!:D

squid
11-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Shotwell would be a great place to play IF Brownwood and Graham both win this week.

fixed it for ya'......

and we dont like the Abilene refs in Abilene either. They made/missed some calls in Graham that some are still upset about. But to my knowledge, it was Graham and not the refs that stripped the ball from us EIGHT times.....

injuredinmelee
11-23-2009, 12:32 PM
that would be a stupid place to play that game. Makes NO sense at all.

STANG RED
11-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I had to laugh when I went to the Bowl last Friday night, after seeing complaints from a couple of Monahans posters about the parking. Cars were lined up many blocks away on the east side of the stadium. But when I drove around to the west side (where 90% of the parking is), there were two full parking lots still empty, and not a sole in the grass areas around the softball or practice feilds. :D

Who-dun-it!!?
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I had to laugh when I went to the Bowl last Friday night, after seeing complaints from a couple of Monahans posters about the parking. Cars were lined up many blocks away on the east side of the stadium. But when I drove around to the west side (where 90% of the parking is), there were two full parking lots still empty, and not a sole in the grass areas around the softball or practice feilds. :D

Yea parking ain't great, but I noticed that too. They even announced over the loud speaker for people to move there cars out of alleys. I got a kick outta that. Sure is nice driving an exempt vehicle where parking is never an issue.

NastySlot
11-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

yeah....cisco is the best place to play it...it's about half way........believe it or not i've seen games played in strange places....ie: was sent to scout a playoff game between LCM and Jasper one year in Natchtoches Louisana.....got to the stadium and was told to come home...cause we had lost earlier in the day.....another strange one was one night...i watched refugio and rice consol...play in san antonio.

grahampaw
11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
yeah....cisco is the best place to play it...it's about half way........believe it or not i've seen games played in strange places....ie: was sent to scout a playoff game between LCM and Jasper one year in Natchtoches Louisana.....got to the stadium and was told to come home...cause we had lost earlier in the day.....another strange one was one night...i watched refugio and rice consol...play in san antonio. Is Cisco stadium big enough?

Snyder_TigerFan
11-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

ummm.....ok.:rolleyes:

Who-dun-it!!?
11-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
We had 3-4 games working on and the wrong team lost ...I am not on the committee this year...but from what I was told it just did not work out.

Going to Tent to watch a 6 man game on Friday night!!!

Woodson vs. Highland

This will be a fun game to watch!!!

I might just end up over there too! Sure wish Ira coulda got through Throckmorton. But after an undefeated season they got 45'd. Guess Throck was just a lil better than anticipated. Love to see Borden County and Throckmorton go at it.

Daddy D 11
11-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Wouldn't Stephenville be like perfect? Tarleton?:thinking:

statewide
11-24-2009, 08:11 AM
I think Sweetwater might have the best stadium in that area of the state, shame no game is being played there.

jason
11-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Wouldn't Stephenville be like perfect? Tarleton?:thinking:

brownwood to stephenville is about 60 miles...

graham to stephenville is anywhere from 80 to 100, depending on which way you go...

sweetwater would be a stupid place to play, its probably 150+ miles for each school...

graham can come southeast and brownwood northeast to stephenville...

or graham can come southwest and brownwood northwest to abilene...

either way, the drives would be about equal...

dont know how brownwood folks would feel about playing in stephenville....

DukeNukem
11-24-2009, 09:33 AM
the stadium provides great atmosphere but the facility itself is still lacking. poor dressing facilities and maybe the worst current artificial playing surface ever. the turf severly needs to be replaced. went down on the field after the monahans/graham game. the turf resembles cheap unpadded carpet on top of cement.

NastySlot
11-24-2009, 09:42 AM
if i remember right the uil handbook reads neutral sites should be mid-distance.........................unless agreed upon.....sweetwater could be agreed upon.........someone said it's about 150 miles for each school...so not that far fetched....logic says shorter distances would be better.

Snyder_TigerFan
11-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
if i remember right the uil handbook reads neutral sites should be mid-distance.........................unless agreed upon.....sweetwater could be agreed upon.........someone said it's about 150 miles for each school...so not that far fetched....logic says shorter distances would be better.

well that sounds better than saying it's "stupid".

hell, I didn't break out the mileage to figure which was closer. I figure it would be played in abilene anyway. I just thought it would be cool to play in Sweetwater - 1- you're playing in the home of a 2-3A competitor and 2, you're 30 miles away from 2 other 2-3A competitors.

Sweetwater Red
11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Ya'll crack me up with your whining and crying n regard to Mustang Bowl. I think
some of you are spoiled. I got a tour of many R4 stadiums last weekend and all of them
would love to have the same as 2A Clyde or Snyder. Corpus Christi and Victoria's
stadiums wouldn't hold a candle to Shotwell let alone the Mustang Bowl.

As far as the quality of the turf Dorknukem:D ...
It is 8 or 9 years old. I'm guessing
it will be re- turfed in the next year or two.

mustang04
11-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

As far as the quality of the turf Dorknukem:D ...
It is 8 or 9 years old. I'm guessing
it will be re- turfed in the next year or two.

i suddenly feel really old:(

i remember taking some of the grass they removed from the stadium in little pieces when they were putting the turf in

STANG RED
11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by DukeNukem
the stadium provides great atmosphere but the facility itself is still lacking. poor dressing facilities and maybe the worst current artificial playing surface ever. the turf severly needs to be replaced. went down on the field after the monahans/graham game. the turf resembles cheap unpadded carpet on top of cement.

That turf has seen lots of great games since being laid. I'm told its scheduled to be replaced before next season. With the new restrooms and concessions, it's without a doubt one of the best high school stadiums anywhere. And I've been in a bunch of them. Most people that bad mouth The Bowl, are just jealous, and with good reason. ;)

injuredinmelee
11-25-2009, 07:48 AM
well that sounds better than saying it's "stupid".

hell, I didn't break out the mileage to figure which was closer. I figure it would be played in abilene anyway. I just thought it would be cool to play in Sweetwater - 1- you're playing in the home of a 2-3A competitor and 2, you're 30 miles away from 2 other 2-3A competitors.

how is it still a good idea? There is no logic to your wanting them to play ther other than you wont as far to drive from your basketball game. There are at least 4 other places that make way more sense. Abilene, Stephenville, Aledo, or Mineral Wells.

SWMustang
11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
That turf has seen lots of great games since being laid. ;)

I too have seen a lot of great games since being laid.

95mustang
11-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I too have seen a lot of great games since being laid. :eek:

BwdLion73
11-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I too have seen a lot of great games since being laid.

:)

cr180t
11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
COwboy Stadium Thursday because of big 12 championship. Just a thought.

TXFTBALLFNATIC
11-25-2009, 01:54 PM
I think it will be played in Abilene.

1. Graham lost to Argyle at TSU two years ago...bad taste (which was the second best team McCoy has ever had)

2. Graham has won many games at shotwell and played there numerous time under McCoy....Plus it is his and Shipley's alma mater.

McCoy is going to keep it close as possible so he can get up early and make it to UT game on Saturday.

ccmom
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by TXFTBALLFNATIC
McCoy is going to keep it close as possible so he can get up early and make it to UT game on Saturday.

Does Shipley not go to the UT games, too? :confused: :doh:

Sweetwater Red
11-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Does Shipley not go to the UT games, too? :confused: :doh:

Are you carrying over from yesterday?:thinking: :D

cr180t
11-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Thursday cowboy stadium

Snyder_TigerFan
11-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by cr180t
Thursday cowboy stadium

Appropriate.

injuredinmelee
11-26-2009, 10:59 AM
isnt it like $8000 per team to play there? I cant see two schools this size absorbing that cost. Mc Coy loves thursday playoff games though. He was famous for that at Jim ned.