PDA

View Full Version : It's Been Educational

PAINTBALL
12-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Prior to this football season, I have never before participated in a chat room. Since this was my youngest son’s senior year and he was playing for the number 1 ranked team in the state, I found myself thinking more about the up coming football season then I ever have in the past with him or my other sons. I was referred to this site by a long time friend to satisfy my urge to discuss Burnet and their season. My participation in the discussions this year has been very educational and I hope you guys and gals will bear with me while I pass on some of the things I have learned.

1. Chat rooms are not good places for open debates. I learned with one of my first post (If You Were the Coach) that the concept of debate is not a part of chat rooms. Many posters simply state their opinions and everyone who disagrees with them are stupid. This brings me to my next lesson.

2. If you participate in chat room discussions you cannot be a sensitive person. I took offense at the names I was called early on and kept trying to make my point about there being two sides of the issue when everyone else was tired of the subject. An old time poster pointed this out to me in a very intelligent post that taught me this valuable lesson about chat rooms.

3. Chat rooms can become addictive. As paintball developed a personality in the chat room I found myself in this chat room on a very regular basis. I even found myself talking in this forum on a daily basis. I am even taking the time to make this post at work while there are files on my desk I should be working on. I have an addictive personality though and this may not apply to most people. (Bite my fingernails, smoke, and over eat).

4. Many intelligent posters love to be hated. Their post, however, reveal their true intelligence. Gobbla and Jason come to my mind under this lesson although there are many others. No matter how much you like to be hated, I have always liked both of you. I think because you both have a good sense of humor and remind me a lot of my own sons. Good luck to you both. I think you both should pay attention to number 3 above, however.

5. If you own your own business, have a child playing on the team, you’re a coach, administrator, or a community leader do not use your true identity and do not tell anyone who your are and do not say anything that will allow people to figure out who you are unless you only intend to post polite post. People will start attacking your personal life and your family for what you post in the chat room. I don’t know if this is right or wrong, but I’ve noticed that the people who say the meanest things have their true identities hidden so it is difficult to know their true motive. Did you kid beat out their kid for a position on the team? Did you represent their wife or husband in their divorce? Other reasons. I think mean post will be directed at you from people who dislike you even if you post only nice post if these people feel their identities are hidden. This brings me back to number 2 above.

6. People begin to believe that the posters in the chat room who they have never met in person or only for a brief time are their friends and some even call the posters their “family.” This prompted my comments this weekend on the dangers of chat rooms. I believe that moderators should prepare some type of WARNING that is posted on a regular basis so as to warn people who are not used to chat rooms of the danger.

7. It is alright to curse if you miss-spell the word. I have a hard time understanding this concept. All you have to do is substitute a $ for an S in the word and it is acceptable or put a * in one or more places in very vulgar words and that is acceptable.

I have really enjoyed my several months on 3A Download. Chat rooms are fun. I don’t know if I’m cured of my addiction or not, so I may be back. Paintball may return as a fan from another town or continue to be a fan of Burnet, but he will for sure be under a different name. He will also be more aware of how chat rooms work. So in the future when a scrub says something that sounds like something paintball would have said, it might be him, but this new person will never admit it, not even to his friends. Anyway paintball still has two weeks to live, so let’s have fun.

spaniard
12-01-2003, 01:53 PM
fair enough

Chris Hart
12-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Long live Paintball! wink

turbostud
12-01-2003, 02:48 PM
I hate to see you go PAINTBALL. I find your posts amusing and pithy. I understand what you mean especially on #5 of your post.

Buccaneer
12-01-2003, 04:26 PM
*$%@#^&

SINTON81
12-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Buccaneer:
*$%@#^&Good one Buccaneer. :) :)

Phil C
12-01-2003, 04:41 PM
I hate to see you go too Paintball because I have enjoyed the discussions but I understand your viewpoint even though I hope you decide to stay. Your son is a fine football player and we know you are proud of him and your team. Best wishes to you and your son and the team in the hopefully final two battles.

3ahunter2k4
12-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Are you ok paintball?

PAINTBALL
12-01-2003, 05:33 PM
3ahunter2k4:
Are you ok paintball?HeHe Paintball's author is just fine. Since my idenity has become known I have decided that paintball only has two weeks to live. Thanks for the concern. :D :D

poncho
12-01-2003, 05:37 PM
Paintball...to me this site is a reflection of the world we live in. Everyday we deal with people who have hidden agends, people who pick on others. We all have to deal with these things everyday. I choose to have a good time on hear. I know everyone's not gonna agree with me. Who cares?? I think when people see Paintball's label on a post, they read it to see what you have to say. You bring out the best and the worst in other posters. :D Hehe. So if Paintball must go. SALUTE!!!!! :cool: :D

Ranger Mom
12-01-2003, 06:12 PM
I think I am going to miss paintball (even though he did "hike a leg" on me!) :D :D

You must start writing your obituary now so we can have one last laugh in Paintball's name!!

<small>[ December 01, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

dawg03
12-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Bye Bye paintball, it was nice to barely talk to you, but If it makes you feel better, I am from Burnet, and I dont know who you are!

JasperDog94
12-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Ranger Mom:
You must start writing your obituary now so we can have one last laugh in Paintball's name!!Maybe we all should help him write it. :D :p

PAINTBALL
12-01-2003, 07:31 PM
JasperDog94:

Ranger Mom:
You must start writing your obituary now so we can have one last laugh in Paintball's name!!Maybe we all should help him write it. :D :p LoL If you have time to do that, you should re-read number 3 above. I don't think I would like that. :D :D :D

olddawggreen
12-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Paintball, I know you will always be there in spirit looking over us! In reality, Ive known you for a while in real life and know that your "good people". Dont stay gone long and promise you won't come back as Jason's long lost cousin from Forney. wink :D wink :D

olddawggreen
12-02-2003, 07:38 PM
:D

espn1
12-02-2003, 08:22 PM
PAINTBALL! I would be able to pick out your posts no matter what name you use. I for one enjoy your opinions. Good Luck in your next life!

PAINTBALL
12-02-2003, 08:35 PM
espn1:
PAINTBALL! I would be able to pick out your posts no matter what name you use. I for one enjoy your opinions. Good Luck in your next life!You might think so, but I'll never admit it. I wonder how many scrubs are going to be accused of being paintball in the future.
http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Jobs_and_People/Justice_System/Blind_justice.gif

espn1
12-02-2003, 08:44 PM
PAINTBALL:

espn1:
PAINTBALL! I would be able to pick out your posts no matter what name you use. I for one enjoy your opinions. Good Luck in your next life!You might think so, but I'll never admit it. I wonder how many scrubs are going to be accused of being paintball in the future.
http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Jobs_and_People/Justice_System/Blind_justice.gifVery good point. I will be a scrub in a few weeks myself.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-03-2003, 01:03 AM
ADIOS!!!!!!!!!!!1#$#$# Moving up to a better place?

PAINTBALL
12-03-2003, 04:21 PM
ttt for Bearcat1 I have answered your PM

pepboy
12-03-2003, 05:19 PM
I'm new to this posting thing but have been reading your stuff for sometime now. Hate to see you leave but understand why. Good luck!