PDA

View Full Version : Brownwoood football scouts log 1,610 overnight miles on 2 road trips

Rocket
11-20-2009, 02:39 PM
http://media.reporternews.com/media/img/photos/2009/11/19/20091119-192055-pic-814315671_t160.jpg
MIKE LEE Special to the Reporter-News
Posted November 19, 2009 at 10:47 p.m.

BROWNWOOD — Because of the difference in their age and coaching experience, Richard Davis and Evan Cardwell jokingly call themselves “The Odd Couple.”

Here’s betting Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau never drove 930 miles from Brownwood to Dalhart and back in 21 hours to scout a high school football game.

Or 680 miles from Brownwood to Pecos and back in 17 hours.

Davis, who is 61 and set to retire in May after 38 years in coaching, and Cardwell, 27 and in his first season of coaching, have scouted the next opponent this season for the Brownwood Lions. On Nov. 6, that meant leaving Brownwood at 10 a.m. for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff in Dalhart between the Wolves and Perryton.

“We got back at 7 Saturday morning,” Cardwell said. “I went home and drank a pot of coffee, and then went back to the school to start breaking down film. I didn’t go to bed until about 6 Saturday night. I had been up 36 straight hours.”

Last Friday, while Brownwood was playing Dalhart in a Class 3A Division II bidistrict game in Lubbock, Davis and Cardwell left town at 11 a.m. and drove to Pecos to scout a bidistrict game between Seminole and Clint. The Brownwood scouts arrived home at 4:30 a.m. Saturday, which allowed them the luxury of a three-hour nap before returning to work.

Davis and Cardwell don’t spend the night in a motel because they need to get back so the scouting report can be compiled as soon as possible. They take turns driving, but the passenger doesn’t dare go to sleep. He has to help keep the driver awake and alert.

They pass the hours in various ways, including singing along to oldies on the radio in their own version of karaoke.

“I was surprised he knew any oldies, young as he is. His mom or dad must’ve liked oldies,” Davis said of Cardwell.

They also pass time by listening to whatever high school football scoreboard show they can tune in on the radio. They also talk about fishing and golfing.

They share memories of their own glory days as athletes. Davis was a state champion half-miler for Early in 1967 and later won a Lone Star Conference title in the 880-yard run for Howard Payne. Cardwell, an All-Sun Belt Conference defensive lineman for the University of North Texas, played in four consecutive New Orleans Bowl games from 2001-04. He also played professionally in the Arena Football League.

More than anything, though, they talk about high school football.

“On the way home, we talk about what the team we’re going to play does and what we’ve got to do to stop ‘em,” Davis said. “I’ve scouted off and on my whole career, and I learned more about football my first few years from seeing so many different offenses and defenses.”

Davis, who has been around Brownwood for much of his life, also fills in Cardwell on the tradition of Lions football.

“You pick a year,” Cardwell said, “and he can tell you all about the Lions’ playoff run: who they played, what the score was and who scored the touchdowns.

“As much time as we’ve spent together this year, I’m sure we’ll be lifelong friends.”

Being the veteran, Davis knows the best places to eat on just about every trip. His favorite hole-in-the-wall is Mary’s Café in Strawn, just off Interstate 20 between Ranger and Thurber.

“They’ve got the best chicken-fried steaks in Texas,” Davis said. “We eat at a Rosa’s anytime we can. I love their beef enchiladas.”

“The Odd Couple” label appears to fit the scouting duo. Davis’ hair and mustache are graying. Leathery skin and lines in his face signal his veteran status. Cardwell’s rosy cheeks give away his youth. His bright green eyes and boyish smile suggest he can’t wait to see what happens next. Davis has already seen what happens next.

Davis drinks sodas and munches on candy bars to stay awake on road trips. Cardwell uses 5-Hour Energy drinks.

For all their differences, though, Davis and Cardwell share a passion for being part of a successful program and helping kids. That’s what keeps them awake at 4 a.m. during trips to Dalhart and Pecos.

“We have some coaches that coach in our games Friday night, then stay up all night breaking down the film and the information we bring in,” Davis said. “We’re just doing our part. It’s all part of being in a program with a tradition like Brownwood. I’ve been blessed. This is my 25th year here, and I’ve scouted more than 30 playoff games. Some coaches don’t get more than one or two in their whole career.”

For all the driving and long hours the previous two weeks, Davis and Cardwell will enjoy a reward tonight. Their scouting assignment is the Iowa Park-Wimberley game, scheduled for Brownwood. Davis and Cardwell will make a five-mile roundtrip from Brownwood High School to Gordon Wood Stadium and back.

“There is a God after all,” Davis said, laughing.

Richard Davis is my dad. I am proud of him!

Daddy D 11
11-20-2009, 02:57 PM
That's cool man!:clap:

Deuce
11-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Neat read!

BwdLion73
11-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Great story, Dads are always bragging on their son's.
Glad your young enough to reverse it.

You must be proud of your Dad.:clap:

DaHop72
11-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Great story, Dads are always bragging on their son's.
Glad your young enough to reverse it.

You must be proud of your Dad.:clap: Great article Rocket.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I see where you get your "height" now. :devil: :devil: :devil:

hollywood
11-20-2009, 03:56 PM
That's very cool! Tell your dad howdy for me. And he's right about Mary's Chicken Fry... it's the best I've ever had!

Rocket
11-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Great article Rocket.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I see where you get your "height" now. :devil: :devil: :devil:

My dad is taller than you. LOL

DaHop72
11-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
My dad is taller than you. LOL I wasn't talking about me. :tongue: :tongue:

ccmom
11-20-2009, 04:25 PM