PDA

View Full Version : RIV, Week 12, Playoff Preview

R4Editor
11-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Region IV Week 12 Playoff Preview
We’re not going to spend a lot of time and bandwidth breaking down these match-up as every game has a poll with many replies on the message board already. What we do know is of these 6 games most are toss ups and we’ll be lucky to get half right. The only game with a clear cut favorite is La Grange over Edna and even that one is tough to pick as the Cowboys are a scary team.

Friday November 20th

Division I
Cuero Gobblers (11-0, 5-0) vs. Sealy Tigers (11-0, 5-0)
Without a doubt one of the most anticipated games of the year. We’ve all tried not to look ahead but most in RIV have seen this game coming since mid-season. These teams met last year and Cuero controlled the game for the most part although Sealy did hit the big play a few times. Sealy is a lot better this year and Cuero is a different team as well. We like how steady and unflappable Cuero plays the game. Sealy has talent and has answered the bell whenever needed. But against a heavyweight like Cuero, you need to play a full game. We think Sealy jumps out to an early lead but Cuero’s relentless attack wears down the Tigers in the end.
Cuero by 8

Bandera Bulldogs (8-2; 5-1) vs. Ingleside Mustangs (10-1; 6-1)
The Bulldogs have suffered through injuries all year long and seem to be on the mend, but will it be enough to stop the Mustang trio of Hull, Farbacher & Perez? No one outside of the Bandera training room really knows if their pre-season All-State QB Cole Hubble is 100%. If he is, it could make the difference. But we like Ingleside and think the Mustangs can slow down the Bulldogs enough to win.
Ingleside by 10

Division II

Pearsall Mavericks (9-1; 5-1) @ Sinton Pirates (10-1; 6-1)
The Mavericks bring a strong running game to Corpus Christi Friday night, but we think Sinton's quick strike offense will cause some problems for the Mavericks. The big question mark will be the impact of the weather on this game. This one is going to be played on grass and the field will be slow and muddy. That would seem to favor a power running attack like that of the Mavericks. But, the footing for DBs isn’t great either and the Sinton passing game will adjust. We like the Pirates.
Sinton by 6

Mathis Pirates (10-1; 6-1) @ Devine Warhorses (7-3; 4-2): Both teams like to run the ball and we think Mathis' RBs will be the difference. They have speed to burn and are riding high after their win over previously undefeated Lyford. This is about power vs. power and we think Mathis is the stronger team.
Mathis by 14

Saturday November 21st

Yoakum Bulldogs (6-5, 3-2) vs. Brookshire Royal Falcons (6-5, 4-1)
The Falcons pulled off the biggest upset in the state last Friday when they put away the Giddings Buffaloes. That would sure seem to make the Falcons the favorites. All year long we’ve been talking up the Yoakum Bulldogs. All year long we’ve said they have a new coach and new system and it will take time for them to hit their stride. They hit it last week with a huge win over a favored La Vernia team. This game is a contrast in styles, speed vs. power. We think the Yoakum Bulldogs are peaking at the right time.
Yoakum by 3.

La Grange Leopards (9-2, 3-2) vs. Edna Cowboys (8-2, 4-1)
Most publications have the Leopards favored between 3 and 4 touchdowns. We’re not sure where they come up with those numbers. The Edna Cowboys have one of the most feared players in all of 3A in Kam Jones. All you need to do is ask those who watched the Cuero-Edna game to get a feel for what Kam is capable of. But, the Leopards answer with a very good QB of their own in Josh Schneider, and Josh has an assortment of very good receivers. This game matches up two very good offenses and we think the key will be which defense plays best. The Leopards are an outstanding team, but we like the Cowboys in an upset.
Edna by 7

44INAROW
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice job as always - I hope you are right in your predictions :)

fourbeee
11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Great Job as always. You and a only a few others think that Yoakum has a prayer in this game. I hope you are correct. The BR people will think you are crazy!!!

Gobbla2001
11-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by fourbeee
Great Job as always. You and a only a few others think that Yoakum has a prayer in this game. I hope you are correct. The BR people will think you are crazy!!!

they have five guys pick the games in the victoria advocate every friday...

they were 5-0 Edna over LG
they were 5-0 Yoakum over BR
they were 3-2 Cuero over Sealy

crabman
11-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Wes Bloomquist has picked against Cuero several times this year and was wrong. He picked against Cuero this week also. I felt pretty good when I saw that.

29-3aFAN
11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Great job. Hope all are right.

R4Editor
11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Well 3 out of 4 so far.
Think we called the Cuero/Sealy game pretty well. Quick start by Sealy, but the relentless attack of the Gobblers wears 'em down. Cuero is very, very tough. Cuero has a great QB, great RB, and very good role players. And the coaches do such a good job of running all those different formations early to see how the defense reacts. The coaches up in the box then seem to use that information to make excellent play calls as the game goes on.

Ingleside dominated Bandera. We thought the 'stangs would prevail, but not quite so easily. Very interesting to see how they match-up with Cuero.

Think PATs matter? Ask Pearsall and Mathis after losing 1 point games last night. Two hard fought games that must have had the fans on the edge of their seat all night. Congrats to the Pirates and Warhorses.

crabman
11-21-2009, 11:40 AM
We think Sealy jumps out to an early lead but Cuero’s relentless attack wears down the Tigers in the end.

You are very wise, grasshopper.....

Old Green
11-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Wes Bloomquist has picked against Cuero several times this year and was wrong. He picked against Cuero this week also. I felt pretty good when I saw that. Hope he picks against the Gobblers again. He's the good luck charm.;)