PDA

View Full Version : Dan Patrick interview with new BCS director

Emerson1
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
This guy makes the BCS make so much since........ not

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/danpatrick/audio/2009/11/18/DP-Bill_Hancock-11-18-09_Interview.mp3

idiot. He tries so hard to make the BC$ make sense.

STANG RED
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
the guy is getting paid to say exactley what he said. I didnt hear anything that surprised me. but I did think Dan Patrick did a pretty good job of once again exposing the BCS for the BS that it is.

Daddy D 11
11-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Dan did a good job. I still think Division I should just do what Div II AND III does. I mean why just have a four team playoff, do what EVERY OTHER level of football does;

trojandad
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
won't happen......in order to not have this bcs type of argument about leaving teams out you'd have to take so many teams you'd have to go thru 5 or 6 levels of playoffs......that would stretch into roundball season and the ncaa's already have a multi billion tv contract for roundball......football playoffs would take away from those athletes for weeks......

if we don't have that many levels of playoffs to stop the argument of "the best team got left out"....also, the people in this bureaucracy are making mountains of money, would you give up mountains of money just so boise state can play for a championship?? i mean i'd love to see it, and turned cartwheels when they beat OU, but i don't know many people that, being honest, would give up livelihoods so a new bureaucracy could make my money....they're protecting their turf.....

just not gonna happen no matter how much "justice" it'd solve....what's that saying? the love of what is the root of all what???

Daddy D 11
11-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
you'd have to go thru 5 or 6 levels of playoffs......that would stretch into roundball season

That's completely false. Take away the month off that teams have between regular season and bowl games and that where the 5-6 rounds could fit in perfectly. Everything would end on time like it normally does.

Emerson1
11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
There would only be 4 weeks of playoffs for a 16 team playoff and 3 for an 8 week which is the most highly suggested.

JasperDog94
11-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
There would only be 4 weeks of playoffs for a 16 team playoff and 3 for an 8 week which is the most highly suggested. That's just crazy talk...;)

95mustang
11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Keep the bowl games and just make the BCS bowls (Sugar, Fiesta, Rose, and Orange) a playoff system with 8 teams. last 2 standing can play the NC game.

STANG RED
11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Keep the bowl games and just make the BCS bowls (Sugar, Fiesta, Rose, and Orange) a playoff system with 8 teams. last 2 standing can play the NC game.

Way too simple, and makes way too much sense. They'll never go for it. Where would we be if those in power in the world start making good ol common sense decisions? Anarchy I tell ya, ANARCHY! :D

navscanmaster
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Let the conference champions (yes, even Sun Belt and MAC) all into a playoff system, then fill the remaining spots of the 16 team playoff with at large teams with the highest BCS ranking. What is wrong with that? Think. Texas is going to play its last game on Thanksgiving, then play for the conference championship. Then they will sit at home for a month waiting for the MNC game. That is plenty of time to be playing a playoff system out. They could even shorten the season if they wanted to, not that I would like to see that, but no matter what, nobody is going to by this crap of crowning a MNC when there are still 4 teams left undefeated and highly ranked except the university higher ups counting the money.

Daddy D 11
11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Do away with the BCS entirely. Just have the AP and coaches poll that decides the rankings. Top 32 or 16 get in. End of discussion. Make it like every other division or ncaa sport.

trojandad
11-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
That's completely false. Take away the month off that teams have between regular season and bowl games and that where the 5-6 rounds could fit in perfectly. Everything would end on time like it normally does.

lots of arguments to that but, to simplify, i didn't say levels of playoffs are the root of all evil......the other arguments made by me, you, or any other are just chattle, its all about money.......until someone comes up with an idea that pays the good old boy system (and every last soul involved) the same money AFTER the playoff system is implemented the same they were making BEFORE it, and still pay the playoff people, you'll be hard pressed to find that many Samaritans willing to sacrifice their pot of gold for anyone's wants....

Gobbla2001
11-20-2009, 01:30 PM
the funniest arguement I hear is "they want to keep their money"... they can figure out a way to still keep their money...

keep all of your freakin' bowls, I don't care... keep the BCS, let them rank the top teams for a plus 1. just don't leave #3 or #4 out of the championship game because a computer thinks it's a good idea...

Will #5 gripe? of course, and about half the time #5 seems it might be a decent contender... if that trend continues keep your 4-team format but with a play-in game between 4 and 5 to decide the 4th spot...

Rarely do we have a #6 griping that they should have been in the championship game, right? so we could keep it 5... if they decide to go to 8 then that's fine, they're already halfway there... if 9 starts complaining add a play-in to decide the 8th spot...

Will that system be perfect? No... but I guarantee you it would STILL make money and would be 10 times better than the BS we have right now...

not improving things because perfection is not obtainable is a LAME excuse... in the end nothing improves...

themsu97
11-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I was listening to the guy who was the head coach at Oregon and is now the AD and he stated that he used to be on the side of the playoff system until he became an AD...
with the 32 bowls that are in place he stated that 32 teams end the season on a winning note and that he could not justify ending the season any other way...

that is why I think the 4 BCS bowls should be the determinant with the winners playing each other until they are all done and 1 champion...

there really is no fair way to do it, there will always be a team or two that is left out...

Gobbla2001
11-20-2009, 01:36 PM
man I get so pissed off with this subject... seriously, I'm still thinking about the "oh no they don't wanna lose the money" deal that always comes up...

You have the same damn bowl games all across the country with 6-6 teams playing 7-5 teams in Detroit or whatever... then you have the same damn BCS bowl games, but with a plus 1 only two of those BCS bowl-games are used for the playoffs and then have your big daddy BCS bowl game the next week... Bingo... you still have the same games PLUS ANOTHER ONE to make your damn money off of...

unless we're a buncha dumbasses that just don't understand the math of this deal, it seems it would SO keep the money coming if not increase it...

trojandad
11-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
unless we're a buncha dumbasses that just don't understand the math of this deal, it seems it would SO keep the money coming if not increase it...

can't improve on that summary of your analysis, don't know how to explain it any clearer and don't want to bum you out further with restatements....