PDA

View Full Version : What Does Football Mean to You?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but I think it's a curious question...

IHStangFan
11-19-2009, 01:44 AM
Football....it means SO many things to me....

When I think of football, I think of the fall, the temp is beginning to come down a bit, hunting season is around the corner, daylight savings is coming soon, the holidays will be here before you know it......

I think of cool Friday nights under the lights of the stadium...where the townspeople gather to watch their boys on the gridiron.....bringing everyone together for a few hours each week....the blue collar, the white collar, the different demographics, the young, the old.....

I think of comradery, teammates working together as a unit, sportsmanship, cheers, cheerleaders, the band.

Football means many things to me....not sure I can completely describe what it brings to mind or how it makes me feel.....but I know one thing...

I LOVE IT! :)

95mustang
11-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan

When I think of football, I think of the fall, the temp is beginning to come down a bit, hunting season is around the corner, daylight savings is coming soon, the holidays will be here before you know it......

I think of cool Friday nights under the lights of the stadium...where the townspeople gather to watch their boys on the gridiron.....bringing everyone together for a few hours each week....the blue collar, the white collar, the different demographics, the young, the old.....

I think of comradery, teammates working together as a unit, sportsmanship, cheers, cheerleaders, the band.

Football means many things to me....not sure I can completely describe what it brings to mind or how it makes me feel.....but I know one thing...

I LOVE IT! :) :clap: :clap: :clap: Very Nice

maroonpirate04
11-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Football means to me....

Growing up in a small Texas town playing peewee football

Kids on the sidelines with the coaches talking to their favorite idols in town giving that football player a high 5 when they score a touchdown

Cheerleaders pumping up the crowd

The thundering sound of bands

Those intense come-from-behind victories

Banners posted around town

The smell of Fajita tacos and turkey legs:D

Rabid Cougar
11-19-2009, 03:42 AM
LIFE!

ShortDog68
11-19-2009, 05:06 AM
It means waking up early, thinking and planning how to get the most out of the kids day in and out. It is the sound of iron weights moving, the smell of sweat, the buzzing of my head after a solid hit, the feeling of accomplishment after working hard in practice knowing I will do it again the next day, the slow motion that occurs in full speed as you make the big play, the smell of fresh cut football fields, the lil kids playing football at the high school games, the crazy pep rallies, the hope that you will do your best to help the team, and the peace of mind knowing you have done your best....

DDBooger
11-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Excellent metaphor for life

It's amazing in every aspect and comes and goes so fast.

squid
11-19-2009, 07:06 AM
hard to add anything more than what IHStangFan said, very well done sir!

I would add that it is so much about family. My Dad and I havent missed but a handful of Longhorn or Cowboy's games in the past 30 years. Its usually just him and I in the room. He's 77 now.

hookandladder
11-19-2009, 07:41 AM

Football is something to play til Baseball Seasons starts, Just joking (SomeWhat). No Stang said it well.

ivchris
11-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Another Abilene Wylie victory!

pancho villa
11-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Football is something to play til Baseball Seasons starts, Just joking (SomeWhat). No Stang said it well.

Gay, Just joking (SomeWhat)

Cameron Crazy
11-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Football means to me that I can crack open a cold one, watch the game and realize that I would kill to be that talented. I'm beyond jealous to watch everyone play on saturdays.

pirate4state
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Football means to me that I can crack open a cold one, watch the game and realize that I would kill to be that talented. I'm beyond jealous to watch everyone play on saturdays. Are you old enough to crack open a cold one? :D

I like Rapid Cougar's reply. There is nothing better than watching football Friday night and all day Saturday & Sunday. Then again on Monday, Wednesday & Thursday nights. They should just go ahead and put in a Tuesday game.

I just hate that it isn't as long as the professional basketball, hockey and/or baseball seasons! :(

FmrPirate14
11-19-2009, 12:48 PM

+1

Ex-Tiger2005
11-19-2009, 01:00 PM
football brings tears to my eyes just talking about it! i love this game!

sandmaster
11-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Its really hard to describe what football means to somebody. That is because is means so much to each one of us. For me, its cold temps, in small towns, and so so much more. Its an amazing sport that I can't really put into words.

Has anyone ever wondered that if people in other states cherish this sport like so many of us do in Texas?

Superbacker 00'
11-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Means a certain time of the year when from out of the heat of summer Rattler Nation regroups to go from town to town putting Rattler beat downs on whoever!:D

c-town_balla
11-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Everything.

Living out the two sports dreams of my life.

Getting to wear Cameron and Texas across my chest.

BEAST
11-19-2009, 02:03 PM
My first real memory is being a 6 year old kid watching Brownwood win its 7th State Championship. The whole football thing became very real to me from that point forward. I remember as I got a little older, my sisters boy friends coming over to the house, both of them dated the star running back of their grade. I remember dreaming of being as good as they were. I remember hitting 7th grade and being so pumped because I finally got to play "real" football. And then, I blinked, and I graduated. The ups & downs. The playoff wins, and losses. The killer 2 a days and offseasons. The blood, sweat, tears, and glory. Going through all the hell just show your pride and play like a warrior for your brothers on the field. There is not one aspect of it I would ever change. It makes men out of boys. It teaches dedication, work ethic, pride, and understanding team is more important than self. The only thing I wish was different, is that I could go back and suffer through it all over again.

BEAST

All out CAT
11-19-2009, 02:13 PM
short skirts and bloomers:kiss: :eek: :D

trojandad
11-19-2009, 02:20 PM
football was the love i had to give up in order to have a better scholarship....

i was a 6'4", 160 lb side armed qb in the days before sidearmed bernie kosar led miami to the nat'l championship, and every coach back then in their infinite wisdom believed sidearmed qb's couldn't get it done (whether you completed 60% of your passes or not), so i took the basketball scholarship that paid for grad school, too.....

basketball, though fun, always was just such a simple game to organize, tho....i mean run three guys in a triangle, position one for rebounding, one for drop back defense and rotate....football has to consider which way 11 guys will instinctively move to the ball, and which ones of those guys show you on film they don't have as much "instinct" as the player next to him, then figuring our how to exploit that "weaker" link....

i'd go to the high school football games while at college and just ache not hitting, getting hit, especially watching that underdog ennis team win the whole magilla my first year in college....never envied any guy with any girl like i envied those guys playing one more year of high school football.....and that envy has been there every year since, including watching my own boys play.....

i remember hearing ricky williams when he won the heisman saying he loved playing baseball more than football, and i sure felt sorry for him if he was playing a sport he was better at but loved less.....i'm grateful for my place in life (thank you Father) but man oh man i really hope you young guys playing each friday night have any clue how truly blessed you are....

BaseballUmp
11-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Nowadays its means tailgating with the guys and hoping for a win over shsu this weekend

lvbears32
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
football is a pillar that my life is built on. The lord is my foundation, my family is my strength and football is what keeps me building. with out football, life would be a standstill routine and the incentive of getting up in the morning would be much less, and school would no longer be as appealing. knowing myself i would translate my energies into what is available in my town...alcahol. my family has a history of alcahol abuse and i wuold easily fall into the trap. i guess u could say that football has saved my life. The challenges of football have brought me closer to my savior, Jesus Christ, and saved me from eternal damnation. im looking forward to finishing my high school career in the next 2 years and praising the Lord for giving me the game and devoting myself to Him. Football has saved my life on earth and ginen me eternal life with my savior Jesus Christ. That is what football is to me.

BEAST
11-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by lvbears32
football is a pillar that my life is built on. The lord is my foundation, my family is my strength and football is what keeps me building. with out football, life would be a standstill routine and the incentive of getting up in the morning would be much less, and school would no longer be as appealing. knowing myself i would translate my energies into what is available in my town...alcahol. my family has a history of alcahol abuse and i wuold easily fall into the trap. i guess u could say that football has saved my life. The challenges of football have brought me closer to my savior, Jesus Christ, and saved me from eternal damnation. im looking forward to finishing my high school career in the next 2 years and praising the Lord for giving me the game and devoting myself to Him. Football has saved my life on earth and ginen me eternal life with my savior Jesus Christ. That is what football is to me.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Powerful message. Alot of wisdom for a sophmore. Stay away from the sauce. It will be your decision if you ever pick it up. Nobody can make you. Stay strong and devoted.

BEAST

lvbears32
11-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Powerful message. Alot of wisdom for a sophmore. Stay away from the sauce. It will be your decision if you ever pick it up. Nobody can make you. Stay strong and devoted.

BEAST

Amen bro. u gotta make your own choices cuz there are a lot of people out there who are eager to make them for u.

Rabid Cougar
11-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Everything.

Living out the two sports dreams of my life.

Getting to wear Cameron and Texas across my chest.

Only if there is a "," between the two names.

nobogey72
11-19-2009, 03:34 PM
For the kids playing, I think all the qualities that have been talked about in this thread----- teamwork, hardwork, dedication, etc. are unquestionable. For the rest of us fans, parents when it gets right down to it.....what football means is ----a very exciting, fun, emotional "diversion from reallity".

big daddy russ
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
It's consolation for the end of summer.

TheDOCTORdre
11-19-2009, 06:43 PM
A subject like this is far too great to cheapen with heavy handed words, so I will keep it simple football is awesome.

M-town lobo fan
11-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Football is like having 3 girlfriends & a wife on the side!lol

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I think some of the responses are quite interesting. I consider football to be an opportunity...

...football is an opportunity to compete. There is just something about winning that drives a person to do just about anything. One thing I've noticed since I've been in college is how competitive my teammates are. I've gotten into a heated game of CHECKERS before with my teammates. Football, just like any other game, is the opportunity for someone to compete and to win. I think deep down everybody wants to win something. It's rather selfish to think that your winning has to come at the expense of someone else losing, but nobody ever looks at that side of it because everyone loves to win. Winning has a positive connotation to it and always will be; I feel like it should too. People take great pride in winning, and I'm one of those people; I genuinely hate to lose. I hate having to think that someone is better than me at something, anything. I want to be the best at everything and am constantly trying to improve myself. I go to school and I learn and I study. I go lift weights so I can get stronger. I go run so I can be faster and have better endurance. People experience much self-improvement when there is something to fight for and compete for. Competition is a great thing and really and truly, everyone is competing for something in their life. Football is the perfect opportunity for me to compete, for me to prove that I can win a battle that involves brute strength and punishment. I know that some people find it ridiculous to think, but I love to hit people and to assert my masculinity. It's a typical alpha male mentality and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love competing and football is the best way in my eyes to compete.

...football is an opportunity to learn about yourself. Mental toughness is not something that can be acquired without effort, it is something that has to be earned. Not many people truly are mentally tough when it comes down to it. When things start becoming too much to handle, the easy thing to do is to step away, but those who are mentally tough rise to the challenge. Some of the hardest things that I've ever done physically have came in preparation for playing a game of football. I'll be honest, there were times I questioned what I was doing and if it was worth it, but I stuck to it and am proud of myself for doing it...I feel like not many people could have done that and it truly proves that the game is not for everybody....and people did end up quitting because it wasn't for them...

....football is an opportunity to learn about others. As I stated before, not everyone can be mentally tough. The same goes for dedication and integrity. When you look around, football presents you with the opportunity to dedicate yourself to something greater than your own self. The truth of the matter is, I've been on many teams, and lack of dedication and integrity is the reason that I have yet to win a championship. I'm not trying to knock on my teammates, I respect every person who has ever been a teammate to me. But I'm also aware that people cut corners and don't fulfill obligations. I like to think of the integrity on a team as spokes on a bicycle wheel; every person is a spoke, and when a person lacks integrity and dedication, they compromise the structural capacity of that bicycle wheel and its efficiency. The opportunity presents itself to see how others are willing to work and dedicate themselves to a cause. It can show you how people really are to the core of themselves; they can be selfless, motivated, and compassionate, or they can be selfish, greedy, and relish on the hard work of others. It's also an opportunity to show others which of those qualities you maintain and uphold and it is in your hands to leave that impression of who you are in the hearts and minds of your teammates...

...football is an opportunity to build bonds. I feel like some of the best times of football weren't even on the field, but instead in the locker room. From the practical jokes, to the banter, to team meals, or any other team function, I've developed strong memories. And bonds can be built outside of your teammates as well with your opponents. I have nothing but great things to say about Nick Zajicek and Charles Foster. I competed against those guys and wanted nothing more than to kick their ass. It's funny to think of how much mutual respect we all share and how we want each other to succeed in our own right even though we all play for different schools now. It just so happens that Nick plays for Texas and I play for A&M and we're each others' biggest rivals once again. It has shown me that football presents everyone with the opportunity to connect with people even if that is the only thing you have in common. I feel like the locker room and the ridiculous workouts and the stupid things I did with my teammates to pass the time will be something that I miss more than the game, because in the end we will go our separate ways and live our separate lives. It's sad to think of it that way, but things will never be the same after the one thing that brought us all together is taken away, and personal experience can attest to that...

...football is an opportunity to build stronger relationships with your parents and siblings. I love watching football with my father. I also love the fact that my father gave me his unconditional support and encouragement along the way. It has definitely done great things for my relationship with him. I know parents and some of the posters with sons who play feel the inverse way about this as well. I will always be grateful that my father came to every game I ever played and was there to support me. My brother Jesse was always there too, and it helped us connect even though we're several years apart in age. My mother also played a strong role as well, and I know she truly suffered to see me hurt and it showed me how much she really cared; she too was always there in support. I'll never forget how much support my family has given me to play a game; it's truly amazing how great of an impact that it had and not many things can afford the same support system that football creates...

There are so many more things about football that I can write about and can't even begin to put, but those are the biggest things that come to mind. Playing football is going to be one of the most difficult things that I've had to let go. I've endured defeat, injury, and disappointment at times, but I've never walked away from it yet. I've been able to do things that most people can only dream of, and I'm not ready to let go of it. I guess the biggest thing is that football gives you the opportunity to see that everything in life is finite, even the ones that bring you the greatest satisfactions, rewards, friendships, and love from your family. I just wish I never had to quit and could play forever...

boynoles
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm in my forties now,but I remember as you come out of the fieldhouse right before kickoff,your body feels like your floating on air as all the fans go wild,the band playing. Running down on the kickoff screaming your head off.Man when I'm in my company truck going to a job and I start thinking about football, I'll just keep on driving and then I'll catch myself and say where in the hell am I at . Theres not one day that goes by and wish I could play again.When football season ends this year I get a little sad.

OldBison75
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Football is the center of almost every high school experience, whether you play, cheer, dance, or play in the band. It is the life of a community for several months each fall and brings the community together in the stands and in the coffee shops. The banker and the garbage collector have little to evr talk about except during football season. It does not matter what your ethnic, religious, political, financial, or family background--on the football field they are all forgotten and the pure ability of the boys is showcased. It is stragtegy, competitiveness, pride, and willpower. It is the individual accomplishment of a pancake block and the team accomplishment of a 100 yard kickoff return. It is a place where the stars of the team have to depend on the workmen to be successful most of the time. It is the greatest arena on earth because on its grass or turf, young men grow up and find toughness, determination, teamwork, and competition. In the same game, they learn to win with humility and lose with grace (most of the time). They learn to congratulate the other team whether they whipped your butt or you whipped thiers. They learn that no matter if you failed once, twice, or more, you can line up again and succeed if you learn from each mistake and adjust to what is happening around you. It is where the fans in the stands can cheer for the accomplishments of thier children and thier friends children without shame and even dress up in wild colors and paint thier faces and ring bells without someone thinking they need mental help (most of the time). Football is all of these things, BUT most importantly, it is a game. And in any game thiere has to be a winner and a loser. It is what we need to learn as fans that teaches the kids that it is not the end of the world if you lose--it is only the end of the game. Tomorrow will be another day and another challenge for you to overcome.

Txbroadcaster
11-19-2009, 08:22 PM
For me football is a vehicle for life. It is not the only one, but it is one that allows the maturation of a person through teamwork, hardwork, success and failure.

IHStangFan
11-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's consolation for the end of summer. LOL :fnypost:

ProudHornetMom
11-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Began as a fan when I was 13....through enjoying being a coach's wive and watching my husband coach...to now watching my son do what he loves to do. It's just good. It's been great fun and I wouldn't trade my days as a football mom for anything.

'Necks 2013-14
11-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Ditto Pancho!! This is TEXAS and FOOTBALL IS KING. Always has been and always will be.
Originally posted by pancho villa
Gay, Just joking (SomeWhat) :clap:

FmrPirate14
11-20-2009, 10:43 AM
...pulse pumping, heart pounding, the butterflies before the opening kickoff, the crowd erupting after the 1st tackle. The band playing the fight song. The sweat and tears shed after a huge win or a dissapointing loss. The bumps, bruises, sprains & breaks during the season that your team has fought and overcome. The feeling of accomplishment after a TD! The cheerleaders pumping up the crowd, for a few hrs on a friday night the town is somewhat a ghost town as all lights are on the field. The shouts of encouagement from the sidelines, crowd & coaches. A whole community supporting their team, the players feedin off the momentum of the game & playing their hearts out..