PDA

View Full Version : New Sweeny coach

Blackcat1954
11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Heard earlier in the week that they probably won't name a new Sweeny coach until next year.

Zajicek will finish out his contract as AD through May my souces say

I'm sure a lot will apply for the position.

Cowboy
11-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Why is he leaving; he has done a good job since taking over the AD job?

Blackcat1954
11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Just retiring to spend time with family and grandkids

Guess he feels its time to move on

http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=8d2f764d0141c107

Advertisement - Crystal Clear Pools & Spas

Zajicek will be missed on field
By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published November 16, 2009
A gentleman stepped away from the high school football field Friday night after a career that spanned more than 34 years.

Whether it was in Leander or Sweeny, Tommy Zajicek coached the game of football for many reasons. But for him, the development of his players after leaving the game was most important.

“I always want them to do things the right way because one day they will have to get up and go work,” Zajicek said. “For them to do things the right way and to learn how to handle things properly. My biggest goal for them wasn’t the wins or losses, but one day they were going to be good husbands and providers for their families.”

He came to learn of and play the game of football at Spring High School in the 1960s as a quarterback.

“It is something that I’ve been involved in with football in the fall since my days from 1966 on,” Zajicek said. “It was something my dad fostered in us at an early age and it was something I wanted to do.”

He first got into coaching in 1976, and made several stops including Leander before arriving in Sweeny.

After taking over the Bulldogs, he decided to give administration a try, becoming an assistant principal in 1999. During his seven-year tenure in the front office, Zajicek was also the principal at the high school level.

He came back to the football field for the 2005 season and remained until his Bulldogs dropped a 48-27 decision in the Class 3A Division II bi-district round on Friday in Waller.

“I had told my superintendent prior to the season that this was going to be my last year,” Zajicek said. “But I didn’t want that to be a motivator or distraction to the players during the season. So I wanted to be patient and was going to announce it in our last game. This is a sad time for me stepping away, but this is something that I love to do. For me it hasn’t been a job but a passion. But I knew it was time to move on to something else.”

In his second stint with the Bulldogs, Zajicek had a 35-18 record with three district titles including this season. He took Sweeny to the playoffs in four out of the five years.

“The games come and go but it is the relationships that the players talk about the most,” Zajicek said. “There is a certain bond whether it is with the coaches or players and it is those that they remember the most because most will forget about the wins and losses. For us as coaches, we get to understand these kids and know what punches their buttons. So for us it is more than just football.”

One of the things that Zajicek instituted after each football game was finding a spot to congregate not only with his team but within an earshot of the Bulldog faithful.

“It was something I started in Leander and for me it was much more than just the players, it was the support group behind it,” Zajicek said. “Whenever I would huddle up with the players they weren’t the only ones I was talking to — because I was talking to the parents as well because they are a big part of this. I wanted them to understand what goals we had and what we had to do to accomplish them.”

There are always notions that a team will resemble their head coach, but for Zajicek, it was more than that.

“One of the things that I tried doing was to be a good model and try to teach them how to be good sportsmen,” Zajicek said. “I wanted these kids to set expectations of themselves and whatever they do, to do it with class. Before they left our program I told them that I’d love them because later on they are going to have that responsibility that will play in some community. The wins and losses are just by-products but it is the relationships that last.”

He will finish up his contract at the end of the school year at Sweeny and for most in Bulldog nation they will miss watching a gentleman walking the sidelines.

Mojado
11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
Just retiring to spend time with family and grandkids

Guess he feels its time to move on

http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=8d2f764d0141c107

Advertisement - Crystal Clear Pools & Spas

Zajicek will be missed on field
By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published November 16, 2009
A gentleman stepped away from the high school football field Friday night after a career that spanned more than 34 years.

Whether it was in Leander or Sweeny, Tommy Zajicek coached the game of football for many reasons. But for him, the development of his players after leaving the game was most important.

“I always want them to do things the right way because one day they will have to get up and go work,” Zajicek said. “For them to do things the right way and to learn how to handle things properly. My biggest goal for them wasn’t the wins or losses, but one day they were going to be good husbands and providers for their families.”

He came to learn of and play the game of football at Spring High School in the 1960s as a quarterback.

“It is something that I’ve been involved in with football in the fall since my days from 1966 on,” Zajicek said. “It was something my dad fostered in us at an early age and it was something I wanted to do.”

He first got into coaching in 1976, and made several stops including Leander before arriving in Sweeny.

After taking over the Bulldogs, he decided to give administration a try, becoming an assistant principal in 1999. During his seven-year tenure in the front office, Zajicek was also the principal at the high school level.

He came back to the football field for the 2005 season and remained until his Bulldogs dropped a 48-27 decision in the Class 3A Division II bi-district round on Friday in Waller.

“I had told my superintendent prior to the season that this was going to be my last year,” Zajicek said. “But I didn’t want that to be a motivator or distraction to the players during the season. So I wanted to be patient and was going to announce it in our last game. This is a sad time for me stepping away, but this is something that I love to do. For me it hasn’t been a job but a passion. But I knew it was time to move on to something else.”

In his second stint with the Bulldogs, Zajicek had a 35-18 record with three district titles including this season. He took Sweeny to the playoffs in four out of the five years.

“The games come and go but it is the relationships that the players talk about the most,” Zajicek said. “There is a certain bond whether it is with the coaches or players and it is those that they remember the most because most will forget about the wins and losses. For us as coaches, we get to understand these kids and know what punches their buttons. So for us it is more than just football.”

One of the things that Zajicek instituted after each football game was finding a spot to congregate not only with his team but within an earshot of the Bulldog faithful.

“It was something I started in Leander and for me it was much more than just the players, it was the support group behind it,” Zajicek said. “Whenever I would huddle up with the players they weren’t the only ones I was talking to — because I was talking to the parents as well because they are a big part of this. I wanted them to understand what goals we had and what we had to do to accomplish them.”

There are always notions that a team will resemble their head coach, but for Zajicek, it was more than that.

“One of the things that I tried doing was to be a good model and try to teach them how to be good sportsmen,” Zajicek said. “I wanted these kids to set expectations of themselves and whatever they do, to do it with class. Before they left our program I told them that I’d love them because later on they are going to have that responsibility that will play in some community. The wins and losses are just by-products but it is the relationships that last.”

He will finish up his contract at the end of the school year at Sweeny and for most in Bulldog nation they will miss watching a gentleman walking the sidelines.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Great job Coach!!!

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
They are accepting applications until Dec. 16

Hope to have a person in place by Feb. 1

mac77
11-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Is there anyone on the inside that might be a front runner for the job? The posting on THSCA says they want someone with a Masters and mid-management certification. Does anyone on staff meet that?

SHSBulldog00
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't know for certain. There is talk the OC and DC are both applying but I'm not certain; they are usually pretty tight lipped about it.

shamu85
11-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Is there anyone on the inside that might be a front runner for the job? The posting on THSCA says they want someone with a Masters and mid-management certification. Does anyone on staff meet that?

Hey bro, how 'bout that big ol' junior high coach they got over there?

:D :D :D :doh:

Tx Challenge
11-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I thought the Asst Head Coach from LH was from Sweeny...... Good fit? IDK

bulldog82
11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
whos handling baseball for varsity

Johnnypaycheck
11-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by bulldog82
whos handling baseball for varsity

Scott Carter