PDA

View Full Version : Wylie vs Andrews

wyliefan
11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Wylie should win this game by at least 17, but what should we worry about from Andrews?

Also how about a M&G at the flagpole during halftime.

squid
11-18-2009, 06:43 AM
I'll be there.

ivchris
11-18-2009, 06:47 AM
I'll be there.

Chris

statewide
11-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Absolutely nothing.

stang92
11-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Andrews will need a lot of help to pull off an upset

M-town lobo fan
11-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Goodluck to both teams! Wylie by 21

stang92
11-18-2009, 02:14 PM
The Andrews kids play hard but there is not a lot of speed there right now. Hopefully we'll keep it competitive. Overconfidence equals early exit from the playoffs

Pendragon13
11-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by stang92
Andrews will need a lot of help to pull off an upset Yeah, well they obviously did something right against a favored Fort Stockton team..

Inmateboss
11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Nothing against Andrews, but I can tell you, Wylie is tough as a Boot. They just keep coming, they don't get tired and they never stop hitting hard.

I wish Wylie could play Brownwood every week. ( Thats for Garcia while he's down).:D :D :D

STANG RED
11-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Wylie gets to rest most of the starters, the entire second half. First half will be UUUuuuuuUUUUgly for Andrews.

Ranger Mom
11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
If I go...I will be at the M&G!! May have both grandkids this weekend....don't think I could handle both of them at a football game!!!:eek:

Z-RO
11-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Wylie a bunch
Andrews not near as much

ccmom
11-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If I go...I will be at the M&G!! May have both grandkids this weekend....don't think I could handle both of them at a football game!!!:eek: I hope you can make it again this week!

TinyTim
11-19-2009, 09:17 AM
At this point my biggest concern is what to have delivered to the stadium from Clear Springs Restaurant. A bowl of the cajun gumbo and the Grilled Garlic Chicken probably gets the nod.

Good luck to all.

ccmom
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Dogs dominate with deep D-line
By Daniel Youngblood

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/nov/17/dogs-dominate-with-deep-d-line/

Any time a defense can complete a 10-game stretch allowing fewer than 13 points per contest, two conclusions can safely be drawn.

First, that unit doesn’t have many weaknesses.

And second, one of that unit’s biggest strengths is along its defensive line.

Both assumptions this season apply to the Wylie Bulldogs, who going into Friday’s regional round matchup against Andrews have allowed just 12.9 points and 253.6 yards per contest.

The Bulldogs have been equally impressive against the run and pass, and Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer’s defensive line has been a big reason for that.

“It doesn’t matter what team or what level, your success is going to be determined by the guys up front,” Sandifer said. “I think those guys set the tone for your whole defense.”

At the heart of Wylie’s defensive line is a trio of seniors who have established themselves as staples for the Bulldogs over the past two seasons. Tackles Sylvester Tonche (35 total tackles, three sacks, six hurries) and Kolter Wright (35 tackles, three sacks, 11 hurries) both started for Wylie last season and end Robert Miller (47 tackles, four sacks, 21 hurries) saw time as reserves on the Bulldogs’ 2008 state semifinalist squad.

Those three, along with fellow senior end Conner Merck, have combined with a number of juniors to give the Bulldogs one of the best and deepest defensive fronts in the state at the Class 3A level.

With Michael McMickle (one sack, 12 hurries) earning a starting role and Nick Ruiz (four sacks, six hurries) earning time at end and Reed Kendrick and Jesse Huffine backup up Tonche and Wright at tackle, the Bulldogs have four juniors getting heavy time on the line.

That’s given Wylie a good mix of experience and youth and a group of players whose skills, complement one another’s, Sandifer said.

Tonche (6-foot-2, 220 pounds), Kendrick (6-2, 285) and Huffine (6-3, 220) give the Bulldogs some size in the interior, while Wright (5-8, 175) provides quickness. And the Bulldogs ends, who are between 185 and 190 pounds, have the quickness to provide a solid pass rush and the strength to help out in the running game.

“We have speed and strength and just a lot of different attributes that can confuse the offensive line on different plays that they run,” Tonche said.

While the Bulldogs’ linemen have put up nice numbers this season, accounting for 16 of Wylie’s 24 sacks and 75 hurries, that group’s biggest contributions often don’t show up on a stat sheet. At least not by the linemen’s names.

By taking on blocks and leaving linebackers free to make tackles, some of the best work done by the Wylie linemen results in someone else’s tackle.

“If your D-linemen are getting driven off the football, then your linebackers are going to be in trouble because there’s someone in your face,” Sandifer said. “So every time you see our linebackers have pretty good stats on solo tackles, it’s because some D-lineman kept an offensive lineman off of him, whether it be by fighting a double team or being tough up front.”

But doing the dirty work is what the Wylie linemen enjoy. And as long as they’re helping the team make stops, Wright said the that group doesn’t care who gets the credit.

“We try our hardest and we don’t always get all the credit, but we don’t need that anyway because the linebackers do so much,” he said. “We just hold the linemen and let them do their jobs, and if it comes to us, we do it.

“It’s just real nice to be a part of one of the best defenses in the state.”

TheDOCTORdre
11-20-2009, 10:37 AM
A couple of questions about tonight is Wylie the home team or the away team, because I wanna make sure that I sit on Wylie's sideline. Also can I get a final M&G Roll Call so I can know who I will be meeting tonight. And finally, I will be bringing my fiancee with me to the game tonight, so ya'll can see that I am not just making up stories about someone actually loving me :D lol. At the beginning of the football season I announced that she has never been to a high school football game and I was planning on taking her to one this season, well we both live very busy lifes and tonight will be her first time to see a high school football game:D

ivchris
11-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I'll be there.

ccmom
11-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
A couple of questions about tonight is Wylie the home team or the away team, because I wanna make sure that I sit on Wylie's sideline. Also can I get a final M&G Roll Call so I can know who I will be meeting tonight. And finally, I will be bringing my fiancee with me to the game tonight, so ya'll can see that I am not just making up stories about someone actually loving me :D lol. At the beginning of the football season I announced that she has never been to a high school football game and I was planning on taking her to one this season, well we both live very busy lifes and tonight will be her first time to see a high school football game:D

I'm told we are the home team, but I promise you it won't be hard to figure out which side is the purple side. ;)

44INAROW
11-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Good Luck to the Dawgs tonight.. :clap:

pero chato
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

So...she's not from Texas, right?

ccmom
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM
From the Abilene Reporter News

Wylie preview: Opponent Andrews has reversed season
By Daniel Youngblood

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/nov/19/no-headline---cap_wylie/

What’s riding on this game: A trip to the Class 3A state quarterfinals. The winner of this game gets the winner of Burnet and Burkburnett in the Region I finals next week. The loser shifts its focus to offseason weight training or basketball.

Last week: The Bulldogs handled Lubbock Estacado, limiting the Matadors to minus-7 yards in the second half on their way to a 24-7 first-round win. Andrews overcame a 14-point fourth-quarter deficit to edge Fort Stockton 36-33 in triple overtime.

Scouting Andrews: The Mustangs come into their regional round game with a losing record, but since starting the season 0-4, Andrews has won five of its past seven games. And during that stretch, the Mustangs have been a different team. After being outscored by an average of 40-17 in its first four games, Andrews has averaged 29 points and allowed just 21 since.

“Their team has come a long way since the start of the season,” Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. “They’re a very good Andrews football team. They play extremely hard on offense and defense.

“They’re playing good football. There’s a reason they’re still playing in the second round of the playoffs.”

The Mustangs offense, which features a number of sets and gives opposing defenses many looks, has been led by quarterback Hunter Hicks, who has passed for 1,783 yards, rushed for 280 and accounted for 19 total touchdowns. And the team’s defense, which has forced 21 turnovers, is led by defensive back Ozzie Bueno, who has a team-high 90 total tackles and eight interceptions.

Bulldogs update: It’s still unknown whether quarterback Matt Preston, who has missed the last two games with a sprained MCL in his left knee, will be ready to play this week. But junior backup Colin Harris has filled in admirably in the senior standout’s absence. Since taking over as the starter, Harris has led the Bulldogs to a 47-7 win over Sweetwater and a 17-point win over Estacado, completing 10-of-12 passes for 99 yards and two touchdowns in that game.

But Harris and the Bulldogs offense has gotten a lot of help from the team’s defense, which has allowed just 24 points in first halves this season and has only given up 9.2 points per game over the past six contests. Against Estacado, Wylie allowed just 157 yards and one first-half score.

What Bulldogs need to do to win: Be disciplined on defense. This hasn’t been a problem for the Bulldogs this season, or any season under Sandifer, for that matter. Howver, Wylie hasn’t faced a team this year that’s as multiple offensively as Andrews is. With the Mustangs’ diverse offense featuring looks that range from the wishbone to the shotgun spread, Sandifer’s defensive players will need to know and execute their responsibilities in all situations.

jockcity33
11-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by stang92
Andrews will need a lot of help to pull off an upset

And if they have any say in the officials they will get plenty of help. Maybe even a bogus pass interference call in the endzone when the receiver is out of bounds and the ball lands on the track.

ccmom
11-20-2009, 11:21 AM
From the Midland Reporter Telegram...

H.S. football: Do-it-all senior leads Andrews to regional meeting with Wylie

Greenwood's Jarett Hall tries to get by Andrews' T.J. Rampone earlier this season in Andrews. Photo by Tim Fischer 10-23-09
By Oscar LeRoy
Sports Writer

http://www.mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/11/19/sports/top_stories/doc4b060684bd07d812728837.prt

Andrews senior lineman/linebacker T.J. Rampone received the best birthday present he could have asked for one week ago today.

Rampone not only turned 18 last Friday, but his Mustangs survived a 36-33 triple-overtime thriller against Fort Stockton in the bi-district round of the Class 3A Division I playoffs.

It was only fitting that the Mustangs would win their first playoff game in two years on Rampone’s birthday. Prior to this season, Rampone was especially motivated to put last year’s 2-8 record behind him and his team.

“It means a lot to still be playing,” Rampone said. “Nobody thought we would make it this far but we all believed as a team. It wasn’t just me.”

Rampone and the Mustangs (5-6) look to continue their run in the postseason at 7:30 p.m. today when they face Class 3A power Abilene Wylie (9-1) in the Regional round of the Division I playoffs.

“They’re big, they’re strong and they’re fast,” said Rampone when asked about Wylie. “It’s going to be a real tough game but we all know that every team in the Sweet 16 is tough. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t be there.”

Once again, the Mustangs will be underdogs in this game, but that’s nothing new for a team that has defied the odds all season.

Take last week for example. Andrews was down 23-7 in the third quarter against Fort Stockton but somehow found a way to score 16 points down the stretch to force overtime.

“Everybody was nervous but we just reached down deep and things happened to fall our way,” Rampone said.

In order for the Mustangs to have even gotten this far, they needed some players to step up this season. One of those who has shined this season has been Rampone. He’s a key blocker at left tackle, he has carried the ball when the Mustangs have gotten into a wishbone formation, and he leads the team in tackles from his strongside linebacker position with 97.

Rampone admitted that he didn’t expect to carry such a big load for his team and didn’t expect to be playing linebacker. Rampone started the year playing defensive tackle but was switched to linebacker around Labor Day and has flourished.

“I played linebacker my sophomore year so it really wasn’t much of transition,” Rampone said. “I just do what the coaches tell me and try to play my hardest.”

Rampone is also highly thought of as a leader on the team. Even though the Mustangs tend to choose different captains each week, Rampone has been captain every week because of his leadership qualities, according to head coach Jeff Cordell.

“He’s just one of the natural leaders on the team,” Cordell said. “That’s the reason I would choose him to talk to the media at the beginning of the year, because of the leadership ability T.J. has.”

The responsibility that comes with being a captain is not lost on Rampone.

“If we don’t do well, everybody knows that’s on your shoulders,” Rampone said. “But everybody plays a big part. If somebody hits hard then everybody else has to hit hard. We’re all leaders in our own aspects.”

With that approach, maybe that’s part of the reason why the Mustangs have defied the odds and are still alive in the playoffs.

Mustangs-Bulldogs notebook

CLASS 3A DIVISION I REGIONAL

ANDREWS VS. NO. 8 ABILENE WYLIE

When/where: 7:30 p.m., Grande Communications Stadium

On the air: KACT (105.5 FM Andrews)

Records: Andrews 5-6, Wylie 9-1

Last game: Andrews 36, Fort Stockton 33, 3OT; Abilene Wylie 24, Lubbock Estacado 7

Last meeting/series: Wylie defeated Andrews 28-14 in 2007 Class 3A Division I state quarterfinals

Key injuries: Andrews, none; Wylie, QB Matt Preston (knee) is questionable

Weather forecast: Highs in the lower 60s, cooling down to the upper 30s overnight

Of note

n Andrews is coming off a thrilling victory over Fort Stockton in the bi-district round as Jake Higgs kicked a 42-yard field goal in the third overtime to lift the Mustangs.

“It’s probably one of the most exciting game that any of our coaches or players have ever experienced,” Andrews coach Jeff Cordell said.

Higgs had also kicked a 27-yard field goal in the first overtime. That’s not bad for a sophomore, who had never played football until this year.

The Mustangs also had to come back from a 23-7 deficit in the fourth quarter. AHS scored two touchdowns and a pair of two-point conversions in the final 8 minutes, 24 seconds to force the game into OT.

“To come back and score 16 points like that shows a lot of resiliency by our kids,” Cordell said. “The key to that was execution. We hurt ourselves in that ballgame when we didn’t execute. It took us over three quarters to finally put some things together.”

n DB Ozzie Bueno (5-8, 150, Jr.) picked off two more passes against FSHS and now has eight on the season.

n Wylie didn’t have to fight and claw as must as Andrews in the bi-district round thanks to the play of its defense, which held the Matadors to 157 total yards.

n The Bulldogs played without starting QB Matt Preston, who was sidelined with an MCL sprain in his left knee for the second consecutive week. But junior Colin Harris (5-11, 180) stepped in for his second start and was 10-of-12 passing for 99 yards and two touchdowns.

n Wylie has spread the production around on offense. RB Jon Miller (5-9, 190, Sr.) leads the team with 638 yards rushing on 100 carries, to go with three touchdowns. WR Austin Gray (6-4, 195, Sr.) leads all receivers with 30 catches for 464 yards and three TDs.

n Defensively is where the Bulldogs hang their hats on as they have allowed just 12.9 points and 253 yards per game.

“Our defense has been playing well all year but I think our offense and defense kind of feed off each other,” Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said.

Next: Winner faces Burkburnett or Burnet in Class 3A Division I Quarterfinal, TBA

LE Dad
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
:clap: :clap: Go Wylie:clap: :clap:

:D

Mcguirk
11-20-2009, 12:45 PM
We will miss this one. Anything can happen, but I expect to see Wylie play in the metromess next week. Good luck Dawgs, and everyone drive safe.

PS I went to Roscoe/Snyder yesterday (thursday) and saw 6 separate highway patrol between Abilene and Roscoe. They might have been practicing for tonight.

TheDOCTORdre
11-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
So...she's not from Texas, right?

Sadly she is, to make ot worse she lives in Odessa, so many teams to go watch here in the Odessa/Midland area, however she attended a small private school with no football team...she has always been a football fan just never had any ties to a high school football team