PDA

View Full Version : San Angelo Stadium

bwdlionfan
11-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I know how to get to the stadium... but I'm going to be getting there right about kickoff... so I'm wondering (for someone who knows Angelo really well)... what is the absolute fastest route through town (in regards to stop lights, etc) to get to the stadium when coming in from Brownwood?

SWMustang
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Hiway 87 turns into Bryant BLVD. stay north until you hit S. Jackson street take a left (west) to knickerbocker. Make another left and the stadium is less than a mile on your right. We are talking about San Angelo - there isn't much traffic to speak of.

bwdlionfan
11-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks, it's been several years since I've been there

STANG RED
11-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Here is the fastest way, but you have to pay attention.
Take loop 306 south from 67 before getting into San Angelo. Not far past Quick Sand golf course, hang a right to Goodfellow Air Force Base. Keep going right on past the base. Just keep going till you get to Bryant. Hang a left, go just a few blocks, then hang a right on Knickerbocker, then on to the stadium.
This will keep you out of the most traffic, and most traffic lights.

ASUFrisbeeStud
11-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Here is the fastest way, but you have to pay attention.
Take loop 306 south from 67 before getting into San Angelo. Not far past Quick Sand golf course, hang a right to Goodfellow Air Force Base. Keep going right on past the base. Just keep going till you get to Bryant. Hang a left, go just a few blocks, then hang a right on Knickerbocker, then on to the stadium.
This will keep you out of the most traffic, and most traffic lights.

That's the way I would go

Looking4number8
11-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I know how to get to the stadium... but I'm going to be getting there right about kickoff... so I'm wondering (for someone who knows Angelo really well)... what is the absolute fastest route through town (in regards to stop lights, etc) to get to the stadium when coming in from Brownwood?

If you are going to San Angelo from Brownwood, take 377 like you are going to Brady. A few miles past Winchell there are some flashing lights on the highway. This is FM 765, it is a straight shot to San Angelo from there. Only a couple of stop signs and absolutely no traffic. I have been taking this route since my college days and it will cut off at least 30 minutes on your drive. Have to be careful about the deer though. They are plentiful on this road.

When you get into San Angelo it takes you by the air force base and just turn left on .... I think it is Ave N but I believe you will be able to see the stadium lights because you come in on that side of town.

bwdlionfan
11-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
If you are going to San Angelo from Brownwood, take 377 like you are going to Brady. A few miles past Winchell there are some flashing lights on the highway. This is FM 765, it is a straight shot to San Angelo from there. Only a couple of stop signs and absolutely no traffic. I have been taking this route since my college days and it will cut off at least 30 minutes on your drive. Have to be careful about the deer though. They are plentiful on this road.

When you get into San Angelo it takes you by the air force base and just turn left on .... I think it is Ave N but I believe you will be able to see the stadium lights because you come in on that side of town.

I'd never seen that route before... I like that... I used Google streetview to check the speed limit and it's 70 so I bet that is faster... only 8 extra miles and you get to miss Bangs, Santa Anna, Ballinger, etc.

Thanks

turbostud
11-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
We are talking about San Angelo - there isn't much traffic to speak of.
Yea but their roads can be confusing. I think they paved the cattle trails.

BwdLion_80
11-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I know when we were there to scrimmage Central, the new locker rooms were not even started yet. Have they been completed yet?

50 yard line fan
11-18-2009, 03:26 PM

I'd turn left on Bryant Blvd [instead of N] and then right on Knickerbocker, but like L48 said, look for the lights. You can go the traditional route (Bangs/SA/Ball) too, but either way has some long stretches of nothing.

STANG RED
11-18-2009, 06:31 PM

I dont think you can see the stadium lights till you get a few blocks west of Bryant.
Ave. N is the east west street that goes by ASU. The stadium is a few blocks south of the campus. I cant remember the name of it, but the first street east of the high rises goes from Ave. N to Knickerbocker, right by the stadium.

Looking4number8
11-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I cant remember the name of it, but the first street east of the high rises goes from Ave. N to Knickerbocker, right by the stadium.

Hmmmmm... do you mean this high rise?

ASU High Rise??? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrraJjzvW_0&feature=related)

STANG RED
11-18-2009, 06:45 PM

ASU High Rise???? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTRrq0DyxFo&feature=related)

??? I dont know. I cant get the link to work.

Looking4number8
11-18-2009, 07:17 PM
??? I dont know. I cant get the link to work.

See if it works like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrraJjzvW_0&feature=related

STANG RED
11-18-2009, 07:56 PM
See if it works like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrraJjzvW_0&feature=related

Holy crap, when did they do that? They were nearly new when I went there 30 years ago. Did they demo both of them?
Heck, I put cat 5 cable all over the mens high rise just a few years ago. Seemed to be in pretty good shape to me.

Trashman
11-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Holy crap, when did they do that? They were nearly new when I went there 30 years ago. Did they demo both of them?
Heck, I put cat 5 cable all over the mens high rise just a few years ago. Seemed to be in pretty good shape to me.

I was wondering the same thing.

Looking4number8
11-18-2009, 09:27 PM

From what I understand it was just about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it was only the womens high rise...

funny thing my new friend, it was almost new when "I" went there 30 years ago too.... What years were you there? I was there from 1980 to 1983... damn thats a lot of years to still be a freshman... j/k

lange4
11-18-2009, 09:28 PM
It's been months since I was there but the dorms were still standing. What happened to the chow hall in the middle.

lange4
11-18-2009, 09:31 PM
It was 1980 when I was there as a freshman.

STANG RED
11-18-2009, 09:41 PM
From what I understand it was just about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it was only the womens high rise...

funny thing my new friend, it was almost new when "I" went there 30 years ago too.... What years were you there? I was there from 1980 to 1983... damn thats a lot of years to still be a freshman... j/k

I was there for the national championship in 78. I was there 2 full years. Hess recruited me to play ball, but I couldnt pass the physical. So I mostly drank beer, and chased girls, till they told me I was no longer welcome there. :D Boy was it fun while it lasted.

Looking4number8
11-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I was there for the national championship in 78. I was there 2 full years. Hess recruited me to play ball, but I couldnt pass the physical. So I mostly drank beer, and chased girls, till they told me I was no longer welcome there. :D Boy was it fun while it lasted.
I did a lot of the cold beer and hot women thing too... should have went to class a little more and Cowboy's a little less. Life might be a little eaiser now.

The next game we both go to, we will have to compare notes, I bet we ran into each other way back then. Small world!

3afan
11-19-2009, 08:55 AM

ASU High Rise??? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrraJjzvW_0&feature=related)

cool

BILLYFRED0000
11-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
Yea but their roads can be confusing. I think they paved the cattle trails.

Oh it's not that confusing. Ya gotta remember us West Texas folks think you should have a sense of direction cause if you get out in the middle of nowhere well there is a reason it is the middle of nowhere. Ain't no landmarks or signs. Gotta know which way to go.