PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky wants 1950 National Championship

PhiI C
06-28-2003, 10:35 PM
I just read an article on aol that the Kentucky players of 1950 want the national championship. Back then it was awarded to Oklahoma for the regular season. Bowl games were just bonuses and did not figure in final rankings so Oklahoma was awarded it. Kentucky beat Oklahoma in the bowl game which may have given it to them had bowls counted then. What do you think? My ruling is sorry guys - that was the system when you were playing in 1950 and you will have to live with the fact that Oklahoma in 1950 was voted the national champions and that is the way it is.

PhiI C
06-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Man with the things that come up and I was worried we wouldn't have anything to talk about till football season.

big daddy russ
06-29-2003, 02:45 AM
They understood the system as it was back then, why can't they understand it now?

sinton66
06-29-2003, 08:17 AM
If the NCAA was to bow to the pressure and grant Kentucky's wish, I would lose all respect for the organization.

PPHSfan
06-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Man, and OLD Card says that I live in the past. :p

Phil C
06-30-2003, 11:18 AM
I did extra research and found out that the game before the Sugar bowl with Oklahoma, Tennessee had actually beaten Kentucky 7 - 0 and had one loss for the year as Kentucky (Tennessee was upset by Mississippi State early in the year in September). Actually it should have been Tennessee playing Oklahoma instead of Kentucky but bowls were chosen before the final season games back then - a fact the Kentucky players are overlooking or not bringing up. Tennessee beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl 20 to 14. Tennessee seems to have an even bigger claim to the National Championship than Kentucky plus other teams had perfect records. Kentucky needs to live with the system that was in place back then when the national championship was based on the season and not bowl games. Too bad college football couldn't have had some foresight and started a real playoff system then instead of just with two teams we have to put up with now becau$e of you know what.

Phil C
06-30-2003, 11:27 AM
And speaking about Alabama National Championships I had heard some of alumni complain that they were robbed of the National Championship in 1966 because they gave it to Notre Dame which had a tie with Michigan State (the famous tie one for the gipper) while Alabama had a perfect season record. But in 1964 Alabama was awarded the national championship for the season. In the bowl games Alabama lost to Texas while Arkansas (which had a perfect record and beat Texas by one point during the year when Texas went for the win and two point conversion) beat Nebraska. Had bowls been used then Arkansas would have been national champions. But that was the system so Alabama was still national champions and they didn't talk about giving it up to Arkansas in 1964. Such inconsistency. Oh well.