PDA

View Full Version : CFN Top Ten

3afan
11-16-2009, 08:16 AM
1. Texas 10-0
Last Week: W, at Baylor 47-14
Next Week: Kansas
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: The Big 12 stinks. Every league has its issues this season, but the Big 12 isn’t doing anything to show off. The best Texas win this year was against … Oklahoma? That isn’t the 2008 version. Oklahoma State? Zzzzzzzz. Texas Tech and Missouri aren’t exactly world beaters. It’s possible that Texas is a very good team that looks better than it is because of the mediocre competition.

2. Florida 10-0
Last Week: W, at South Carolina 24-14
Next Week: FIU
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: The defense really is good. For all the problems and all the lackluster performances, the Gators are first in the nation in scoring D, second in yards allowed, second in pass defense and first in pass efficiency defense. As Urban keeps saying, if you play in the SEC and you’ve won 20 in a row, you’re doing something right.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: Do you believe in your heart of hearts that the TCU defense couldn’t stop this predictable Gator offense cold? There’s little from the passing game, outside of a home run here and there, and Tim Tebow is hardly Tim Tebow right now. The wins are coming, but they’re hardly impressive.

3. Alabama 10-0
Last Week: W, at Mississippi State 31-3
Next Week: UT Chattanooga
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: When the passing game is working, like it was against Mississippi State, this might be the nation’s No. 1 team. It’s not a consistent attack, but the offense is averaging 217 yards rushing and 201 through the air.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: The offense is getting the yards, but it’s struggling to get the points. The 31 scored against MSU were nice, but it’s not like the Tide can go out and hang 40 because it wants to. There could be problems against anyone who can score early.

4. TCU 10-0
Last Week: W, Utah 55-28
Next Week: at Wyoming
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: Last five games: TCU 233, Opponents 53. The Horned Frogs have a better résumé than anyone in the top three, and outside of a rough outing against Air Force, winning 20-17, and a 14-10 win at Clemson, no one has come close.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: It can’t be right now. We promised a big move up the rankings with a win over Utah, and 55-28 does it.

5. Oregon 8-2
Last Week: W, Arizona State 44-21
Next Week: at Arizona
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: As it turned out, that 51-42 shootout loss to Stanford wasn’t so bad. The Ducks have scored 40 points or more in six of their last seven games, with the one time under the mark coming in a 24-10 win over UCLA.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: There’s still the matter of the Ducks losing to Stanford. The win over UC doesn’t seem like such a big deal now, and if that’s not the team’s best win, then the victory over Utah probably is. Whoopee.

6. Ohio State 9-2
Last Week: W, Iowa 27-24 OT
Next Week: at Michigan
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: It shouldn’t be. The defense has played well, but it struggled to put away James Vandenberg and a mediocre Iowa attack. The Buckeyes got this high in the rankings thanks to its defense, but the offense is starting to come through with more of a ground attack.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: Ohio State vs. Oregon in Pasadena and you have to bet the house. Okay, Ohio State vs. Stanford or Oregon State, with the way the teams are playing right now. Oh yeah … the Buckeyes also lost at home to USC (that seems like five years ago).

7. Georgia Tech 10-1
Last Week: W, at Duke 49-10
Next Week: Georgia (Nov. 28)
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: It takes a little while to heat up, and then BOOM. 400 yards rushing. The Yellow Jackets did it. They’re going to the ACC title game and are just one win away from the big stage. No one wants to deal with this offense at the moment, while the defense has improved.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: 10-1 is great. Terrific. Special. But the wins over the last month have been against Virginia, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, and Duke. Yes, the résumé is solid with wins over Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech, and five of the wins have come on the road, but if you don’t believe in the ACC, then you don’t believe in Georgia Tech.

8. Cincinnati 10-0
Last Week: W, West Virginia 24-21
Next Week: Illinois (Nov. 27)
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: At 10-0, the Bearcats keep rolling along with the nation’s third best offense. The win over West Virginia was stronger than the 24-21 final score might appear. This is as well coached a team as there is in the country, and it knows how to win. Remember, they went to the Orange Bowl last year.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: They’re going to loss at Pitt. The last two games against UConn and West Virginia were way too shaky.

9. Boise State 10-0
Last Week: W, Idaho 63-25
Next Week: at Utah State
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: That was a jacked up Idaho team (don’t laugh, it’s going bowling) that the Broncos put away without a problem. The offense is steamrolling through everyone, leading the nation averaging 43.6 points per game, and on its home turf this is an unstoppable machine.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: C’mon … it was Idaho. Yeah, the Vandals will end up in a bowl, but so far there have been only three wins over almost-certain bowl teams. Oregon (great), Tulsa (eeeeh, whatever), and Fresno State (solid).

10. Wisconsin 8-2
Last Week: W, Michigan 45-24
Next Week: at Northwestern
Why The Ranking Should Be Higher: Yeah, it was Michigan, but the Badgers are starting to him at just the right time. While they might not have enough juice to get into the BCS over a two-loss Iowa or Penn State, they’ll be assured of a prime New Year’s Day game somewhere in Florida by beating Northwestern and Hawaii.
Why The Ranking Should Be Lower: The best win this year was again… Michigan State? Fresno State? The non-conference schedule wasn’t exactly a killer, while the Badgers lost in their two big tests (Ohio State and

NastySlot
11-16-2009, 09:56 AM
wow ...that's what ive been saying about texas...all year....it's like a varsity/jv scrimmage every week.

the big xii is awful and no matter what people say....it's a weak conference.......i think the mountain west and acc might be tougher...but because the great horns are winning the big xii its good......wake up.

LionKing
11-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
wow ...that's what ive been saying about texas...all year....it's like a varsity/jv scrimmage every week.

the big xii is awful and no matter what people say....it's a weak conference.......i think the mountain west and acc might be tougher...but because the great horns are winning the big xii its good......wake up. I agree with you that the Big 12 stinks other than Texas, and so far Texas has done what they are suppose to do, which is all they can do, which is what Bama, Florida, TCU, Cincy, and Boise State have done also, and that's win all their games, right now, Bama/Florida and Texas control their destiny to the BCS Title game, TCU, Cincy, and Boise have to have help to play for the Title, Cincy holds the edge there since they are in a BCS conference, if TCU and Boise want to become annual contenders for the Title, then the best advice would be for them to join a BCS leauge, that's just the way it is for now in D1 College football, like it or not.

3afan
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
no one should fault Texas for their schedule ...... look where its gotten them? what else matters?

NastySlot
11-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
no one should fault Texas for their schedule ...... look where its gotten them? what else matters?

so weak schedules and a weak conference is ok....as long as everyone is talking about the horns........ok I got it .

the past few weeks people (maybe not you) have bashed iowa for a being a pretender...they played their schedule and won....the pac 10 teams do the same thing...right... I get it ...the horns will win the national title with this weak schedule and out of this weak conference....and be considered the greatest team since byu to win the title....at least the last time the horns won they had a little comp.

the horns are good and will win the title....i just don't want to hear how they are so great when they have played no one and haven't been challenged cause they play in weak conference.

3afan
11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
so weak schedules and a weak conference is ok....as long as everyone is talking about the horns........ok I got it .

don't be dumb - I meant it has gotten them 2 games away from playing for the NC

:thumbsup:

sinton66
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
We heard all the same tired old arguments in "05 when Texas beat USC for the NC. Horns haters need some new material, IMO.

LionKing
11-16-2009, 05:32 PM

the past few weeks people (maybe not you) have bashed iowa for a being a pretender...they played their schedule and won....the pac 10 teams do the same thing...right... I get it ...the horns will win the national title with this weak schedule and out of this weak conference....and be considered the greatest team since byu to win the title....at least the last time the horns won they had a little comp.

the horns are good and will win the title....i just don't want to hear how they are so great when they have played no one and haven't been challenged cause they play in weak conference. Well, if they do win the title, they would have beaten a team from the SEC, so that would make them ''Great'', and then the ''weak'' conference shedule wouldn't matter.
As for OOC schedules, those are sheduled 5-7 years in advance, it's a double edged sword, what may be a formible opponent now, may be a weak team by then, or, a ''patsy'' may turn in to the next BCS buster.

NastySlot
11-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
We heard all the same tired old arguments in "05 when Texas beat USC for the NC. Horns haters need some new material, IMO.

at least that year they went on the road...and beat ohio state......but if i listen to posters on here the big x is weak and ohio state was overrated...so what is it?

sinton66
11-16-2009, 05:41 PM
You missed the point. Strength of schedule didn't stop Texas from winning the NC the last time they made it there. They may not win it if they make it there this year, then again maybe they will. If you are a top tier program, strength of schedule doesn't mean all that much. They ALL get tested in rivalries.

NastySlot
11-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
Well, if they do win the title, they would have beaten a team from the SEC, so that would make them ''Great'', and then the ''weak'' conference shedule wouldn't matter.
As for OOC schedules, those are sheduled 5-7 years in advance, it's a double edged sword, what may be a formible opponent now, may be a weak team by then, or, a ''patsy'' may turn in to the next BCS buster.

the way the title game is set up....throw out records and conference affiliations.........month and half to prep...it's like playing the season opener...too many miscues and penalities.........this is exactly why i think texas will win the title....give anybody a month to two to prep and it's anyones game.........gotta like horns chances...now put them in playoff like everyones always calling for and odds are the weak schedule and conference gets them.

I am not a horn hater...i think they have both a great team and program....just don't buy that they're the best team in the country right now.

i really think the horns will win the nc.