PDA

View Full Version : Dec. 12 A college softball OPEN tryout for HS Juniors and Seniors

Old Cardinal
11-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Lamar State College-Port Arthur
1500 Procter Street (P.O. Box 310), Port Arthur, Texas 77641-0310
The Lamar State College-Port Arthur Seahawks women’s softball team will hold open tryouts Saturday, December 12, for current high school juniors and seniors and students now enrolled at Lamar State or planning to attend the college.

The tryouts will take place from 9-11 a.m. at Martin Field, 1000 Lakeshore Drive, Port Arthur on the Lamar State campus.

Lamar State competes in Region XIV, one of the toughest Division I conferences in the National Junior College Athletic Association.

Interested players are asked to download a Tryout Registration form from the Softball page of the college website (www.lamarpa.edu), fill out the form and then follow the instructions for returning it to the college.

Players also are asked to fill out and submit the on-line Prospective Student/Athlete form on the Athletics page of the college website.

For information, call Coach Edwards at 984-6293, or send e-mail to: vance.edwards@lamarpa.ed

Old Cardinal
11-18-2009, 07:35 PM
I am hearing there are a lot of Juniors coming for these open tryouts to get a feeling as to how a college tryout takes place....I am looking for some HS SB Coaches from LA and TX to bring their Uth to these fun tryouts....

aggiejwp
11-19-2009, 12:32 AM
I have never heard of Lamar State College.

footballfan65
11-19-2009, 08:54 AM
What is the best way to find out about colleges have open tryouts?

3afan
11-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by footballfan65
What is the best way to find out about colleges have open tryouts?

GOOGLE (http://www.google.com/)

footballfan65
11-19-2009, 09:16 AM
But do you Google each individual college and look for their open tryout schedule? No place that has open tryouts listed for all schools?

Old Cardinal
11-22-2009, 02:26 PM
I tried to find a list of open tryouts, to no avail...
That would be a good Internet project for someone to undertake... lol

LamarState-Port Arthur is a JUCO playing in a tough conference. As far as I know, their tryouts are unique in that they invited SB HS Coaches & Select team Coaches to bring their Juniors and Seniors--for an open tryout experience. It is a gala event and enjoyed by everyone in attendance.

Even Uth that end up at another college feel it was a good experience to participate and compare skills; an if nothing else, see how an open tryout is run.

I like the atmosphere where HS Coaches can bring their Uth and have a good fun preseason outing. They can load a van and have a fun trip.

NOTE; Please call folks with a Uth in this age bracket that might want to hit I-!0 East and get off the exit to Port Arthur and see what the Seahawks have to offer...lol

coxjj
11-23-2009, 12:05 AM
The JUCO's pretty much all have tryouts. They are usually in the November timeframe (give or take). Easiest way to find most is to go to the college's website and they usually have something posted about tryouts.

Old Cardinal
11-24-2009, 08:21 PM
I Googled the following and read about open tryout taking place all over:

softball college open tryouts Texas

This must be the wave of the future.....