PDA

View Full Version : Region III Playoff Predictions

R3Editor
11-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Through bi-district I am sitting at 7-2 overall in both divisions. Brownsboro and West Orange-Stark were my only two incorrect picks last week.

3A Division I Regional Picks

Gilmer over Waco La Vega
Silsbee over Navasota

3A Division II Area Picks

Center over Lorena
Rockdale over Coldsring
Carthage over Mexia
Caldwell over Cleveland

87 TIGER
11-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Gilmer by 28
Navasota by 14

Center by 7
Rockdale by 7
Carthage by 21
Caldwell by 3

navscanmaster
11-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Gilmer by 31
Navasota by 2

Lorena by 7
Coldspring by 6 (I like both teams, and I am sorry one of them has to lose.)
Carthage by 28
Caldwell by 10

I hate doing score predictions, but they actually help people understand what kind of game it is thought to be, rather than just a spread. Here goes:

Gilmer 49, La Vega 18
Navasota 22, Silsbee 20
Lorena 31, Center 24
Coldspring 14, Rockdale 8
Carthage 42, Mexia 14
Caldwell 24, Cleveland 14

trojandad
11-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Gilmer by 31
Navasota by 2

Lorena by 7
Coldspring by 6 (I like both teams, and I am sorry one of them has to lose.)
Carthage by 28
Caldwell by 10

I hate doing score predictions, but they actually help people understand what kind of game it is thought to be, rather than just a spread. Here goes:

Gilmer 49, La Vega 18
Navasota 22, Silsbee 20
Lorena 31, Center 24
Coldspring 14, Rockdale 8
Carthage 42, Mexia 14
Caldwell 24, Cleveland 14

however our game goes with rockport, i'm pretty sure our point total will be higher, don't know about theirs....

i agree with the picks except i'm thinking navasota's and caldwell's winning margins will be larger......good pix IMO....

navscanmaster
11-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
however our game goes with rockport, i'm pretty sure our point total will be higher, don't know about theirs....

i agree with the picks except i'm thinking navasota's and caldwell's winning margins will be larger......good pix IMO....

Only if Navasota reverts to pre-Caldwell play calling. Caldwell and Cleveland run basically the same offense, not identical, but basically the same. I think it will be a low scoring game, since they both know what they are facing better than anybody else. I will go out on a limb and say that we might see "several" passes in this game.:D

CHS_CG
11-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I will go out on a limb and say that we might see "several" passes in this game.:D

Thats ok, our QB knows how to pass too!

Superbacker 00'
11-16-2009, 08:28 AM
navasota by 3

Yoe_09
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Gilmer 52, La Vega 7
Navasota 25, Silsbee 17
Center 21, Lorena 14
Coldspring 28, Rockdale 8
Carthage 45, Mexia 10
Caldwell 28, Cleveland 21

thepatriot
11-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Gilmer -28, La Vega
Navasota , Silsbee -10
Center -7, Lorena
Coldspring -21, Rockdale
Carthage -17, Mexia
Caldwell , Cleveland -3

Coach BS
11-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Gilmer 56 LaVega 21
Navasota 28 Silsbee 14
Center 35 Lorena 20
Rockdale 33 Coldspring 30
Carthage 38 Mexia 28
Caldwell 48 Cleveland 14

Pawdaddy
11-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Gilmer wins. Everybody else loses.

easttexas3a
11-18-2009, 04:01 AM

Gilmer 49 Waco La Vega 14
Navasota 35 Silsbee 24

Lorena 28 Center 21
Coldspring 20 Rockdale 19
Carthage 56 Mexia 28
Caldwell 21 Cleveland 7

easttexas3a
11-18-2009, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by R3Editor
Through bi-district I am sitting at 7-2 overall in both divisions. Brownsboro and West Orange-Stark were my only two incorrect picks last week.

Gilmer over Waco La Vega
Silsbee over Navasota

Center over Lorena
Rockdale over Coldsring
Carthage over Mexia
Caldwell over Cleveland

As a Gilmer fan I was under the impression that if we advance we would most likely play navasota, does silsbee have a good shot? I have no idea of course.

big daddy russ
11-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
As a Gilmer fan I was under the impression that if we advance we would most likely play navasota, does silsbee have a good shot? I have no idea of course.
Silsbee's good. Real good. One of the two best (maybe even the best) 3+ loss teams in the state. Lost to 2A #6 and 3A #16 Jasper by a combined five points, beat #12 West Orange-Stark.

They have the weapons to play with anyone, have the top 3A recruit in the state, and seem to get better each week. Dangerous team.

OldBison75
11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm from Navasota and can tell you that Silsbee is a damned good football team. They have a top notch QB that can beat you with his arm or his feet and he is just one of the weapons they will use against you. Silsbee always has pretty good speed and size and they play hard from the first snap to the last. Take away a couple of turnovers this year and they are winners of every game. Defensively, they can give up a few points when they shouldn't, but they are good enough to overcome those times in most cases. They run to the ball very well and will lay some smack to you when they hit.

Either of these two teams are capable of really putting up some numbers on any given night and both have enough defense to make the other team work hard for points. No matter which one wins, Gilmer will face it's toughest game next week.

By the way, both coaching staffs are very good and both have proven that they can get the most from thier teams on any given night. McGallion at Silsbee, used to be a Navasota Head Coach and was successful here and we all know that he will be ready for the Rattlers. Fedora has proven over the last few years that he coaches best in the biggest games--he is a winner.

OldBison75
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
I got on a roll and forgeot to answer your real question---

YES, Silsbee is good enought to win against Navasota and nobody from Navasota is taking this game for granted. If we don't play the best game we have played all year--we will be playing basketball next week.

Silsbee would be district champions in most districts in this state and undefeated if they played in most other districts. I think that they are at least a top 15 team.

waterboy
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
No matter which one wins, Gilmer will face it's toughest game next week.
Gilmer hasn't beaten La Vega.............YET! I don't think any team will be an easy out from here on out, though.......and doesn't Silsbee still have to beat Navasota?:thinking: Hmmm.......I don't allow myself to think past this week's opponent..........although I do see the Buckeyes winning.....;)

OldBison75
11-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Waterboy, I was just answering the question posed earlier in the thread about Silsbee's chances of beating Navasota.

As for the games this week, you are right, nothing is a given, but I also think Gilmer will win. I believe my Rattlers will win but this game does make me very nervous.

As for next week, if it is a Gilmer vs Navasota game we have in store, I hope that the football gods will smile on the Rattlers and give them a chance to win. I know that Gilmer is the best team we will face in the playoffs on paper and that they will want to continue thier roll. I am hoping we get that matchup for no other reason than to get the chance to see them play in person and hope that a miracle happens.

waterboy
11-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing that Gilmer/Navasota matchup, either, OB75! That would mean we'd both be in the playoffs at least one more week.

trojandad
11-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I got on a roll and forgeot to answer your real question---

YES, Silsbee is good enought to win against Navasota and nobody from Navasota is taking this game for granted. If we don't play the best game we have played all year--we will be playing basketball next week.

Silsbee would be district champions in most districts in this state and undefeated if they played in most other districts. I think that they are at least a top 15 team.

while i completely agree with you on silsbee's quality of athletes, this doesn't seem to be one of those years that they could have won the title in most districts.....they had a loss to diboll by two touchdowns when three "lesser" teams (one of them being us) were putting over 60 points on them......diboll had a terrible year this year by their standards and the 3 booster people i know there admit that diboll didn't win that game as much as silsbee just seemed to mail it in that day......

in other words, this just isn't one of those typical 9-1 silsbee teams that everyone is running from.....if they show with their A game they can even beat the likes of wo-s, but they had as many down games this year as incredible ones......and when they fell, they fell HARD....consistency is not one of their usual strengths this year, it would seem......

Trashman
11-18-2009, 01:49 PM
An outsiders opinion......

Waco La Vega over Gilmer (just a hunch) :D
Navasota over Silsbee

Rockdale over Coldsring
Carthage over Mexia
Caldwell over Cleveland

waterboy
11-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
An outsiders opinion......

Waco La Vega over Gilmer (just a hunch) :D

:eek: Hahaha! That's NOT "a hunch", I believe that's GAS! Don't worry, though, it'll pass.........just stay downwind! Sorry, Trashman, that ain't gonna happen!;)

Silsbee1989
11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
in other words, this just isn't one of those typical 9-1 silsbee teams that everyone is running from.....if they show with their A game they can even beat the likes of wo-s, but they had as many down games this year as incredible ones......and when they fell, they fell HARD....consistency is not one of their usual strengths this year, it would seem...... [/B][/QUOTE]

Consistency ????? The 4 games we lost was to 4 teams that made the play-offs last year and we lost to them by a combined 24 points. And we beat WOS (FINALLY) and are on a 6 game winning streak so i would say that is consistant. We have been getting better each week and putting 50 plus points up for the last several weeks...... Silsbee\Navasota game is gonna be a hellava game and it could come down to who has the ball last.

trojandad
11-18-2009, 03:41 PM
still haven't explained THIS years loss to some bad teams, or at least to diboll, you weren't playing last years diboll team, you were playing this years team.....they weren't very good....

and i still bragged on the athletes, who knows why they have had slack games this year, cause they sure have had some good ones.....

big daddy russ
11-18-2009, 03:58 PM
while i completely agree with you on silsbee's quality of athletes, this doesn't seem to be one of those years that they could have won the title in most districts.....they had a loss to diboll by two touchdowns when three "lesser" teams (one of them being us) were putting over 60 points on them......diboll had a terrible year this year by their standards and the 3 booster people i know there admit that diboll didn't win that game as much as silsbee just seemed to mail it in that day......

in other words, this just isn't one of those typical 9-1 silsbee teams that everyone is running from.....if they show with their A game they can even beat the likes of wo-s, but they had as many down games this year as incredible ones......and when they fell, they fell HARD....consistency is not one of their usual strengths this year, it would seem......
I will say this, trojandad. Their losses all came during the first half of the season, and the last two losses of that four-game streak were by a hair to two state-ranked teams. They seem to have gotten stronger as the season goes on and are peaking at the right time. That's never a fun team to play, even for a team as loaded as Navasota.

Navasota's still the favorite in my mind, but I don't think it would surprise many to see Silsbee win.

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Silsbee1989
Consistency ????? The 4 games we lost was to 4 teams that made the play-offs last year and we lost to them by a combined 24 points. And we beat WOS (FINALLY) and are on a 6 game winning streak so i would say that is consistant. We have been getting better each week and putting 50 plus points up for the last several weeks...... Silsbee\Navasota game is gonna be a hellava game and it could come down to who has the ball last.

Okay, Im not sure what losing to the teams that made the playoff last year has to do with the '09 season.:confused:

Anyways, puting up all those points is fine and dandy, but, when you play a good defensive team, i.e. WO-S, Newton, Jasper, etc., you see the results. It's playoff time and the teams and defenses will only get better. Navasota this week. If you guys slip by Navasota, Gilmer/La Vega will be waiting. I just don't see Silsbee putting up 50 points against Navasota and Gilmer (who Im predicting will win) will definatly not give up 50 points. Of course, this is just my opinion. Anyone can agree to disagree.

What I will agree on, is that Navasota versus Silsbee will be a good game. :D

Silsbee1989
11-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Okay, Im not sure what losing to the teams that made the playoff last year has to do with the '09 season.:confused:

Anyways, puting up all those points is fine and dandy, but, when you play a good defensive team, i.e. WO-S, Newton, Jasper, etc., you see the results. It's playoff time and the teams and defenses will only get better. Navasota this week. If you guys slip by Navasota, Gilmer/La Vega will be waiting. I just don't see Silsbee putting up 50 points against Navasota and Gilmer (who Im predicting will win) will definatly not give up 50 points. Of course, this is just my opinion. Anyone can agree to disagree.

What I will agree on, is that Navasota versus Silsbee will be a good game. :D Im not saying they will put up 50 points against Navasota or gilmer. im saying they put up 50 plus points in the last several games....meaning they were getting better and starting to gel. And they did it last week against a very scrappy Huffman team too. I guess in the end it really dont matter...he said she said....It will be whatever its gonna be come friday night. And it will be a good game....I HOPE

Silsbee1989
11-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Listening to the peeps on here....After this game everbody should just quit and go to the house cause Gilmer is gonna kill everybody????? Ive never seen Gilmer play but by the sound of it they should be able to beat the Longhorns.... Lol

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Listening to the peeps on here....After this game everbody should just quit and go to the house cause Gilmer is gonna kill everybody????? Ive never seen Gilmer play but by the sound of it they should be able to beat the Longhorns.... Lol

Well, their record and results speak from themselves.

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Im not saying they will put up 50 points against Navasota or gilmer. im saying they put up 50 plus points in the last several games....meaning they were getting better and starting to gel. And they did it last week against a very scrappy Huffman team too. I guess in the end it really dont matter...he said she said....It will be whatever its gonna be come friday night. And it will be a good game....I HOPE

Or, could it be the competition level wasn't as good?

Silsbee1989
11-18-2009, 04:49 PM
The way I honestly see it....... We are 1-0 and Ya'll are 0-0 because the regular season dont really matter at this point. Either team could have scored 100 points per game and come friday night and score 14. these 2 teams are equally matched and it should be a good exciting game. My hats off to the winner and the looser has nothing to hang there heads about. Silsbee is undefeated district champs and Bi-district champs. Thats the best weve done in a while. Im proud of them either way. I dont have a dog in this hunt. Im just a highschool football nutt that backs his hometown. Win or loose.

lostaussie
11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
Carthage WILL NOT survive against Mexia. Mark this post, tag it, highlight it, tie a string around it.......but do not forget to tell me that you were notified!

Wow...........where did this post come from???
Mexia has given up 174 points in their last 6 games..............give up the crack pipe:D

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
The way I honestly see it....... We are 1-0 and Ya'll are 0-0 because the regular season dont really matter at this point. Either team could have scored 100 points per game and come friday night and score 14. these 2 teams are equally matched and it should be a good exciting game. My hats off to the winner and the looser has nothing to hang there heads about. Silsbee is undefeated district champs and Bi-district champs. Thats the best weve done in a while. Im proud of them either way. I dont have a dog in this hunt. Im just a highschool football nutt that backs his hometown. Win or loose.

I understand that. Hats off to Silsbee for what they have accomplished this year thus far. The entire state knows that it isn't easy to win a district championship playing the likes of WO-Stark and others in SE Texas.

Have you seen the Silsbee Bee this week? According to them, it will be the "Johnson vs Hildreth" matchup.

Check out this clip from the Navasota Examiner. http://navasotaexaminer.com/articles/2009/11/18/sports/doc4b041bcc29c4a203784151.txt

Silsbee1989
11-18-2009, 05:10 PM
I understand that. Hats off to Silsbee for what they have accomplished this year thus far. The entire state knows that it isn't easy to win a district championship playing the likes of WO-Stark and others in SE Texas.

Have you seen the Silsbee Bee this week? According to them, it will be the "Johnson vs Hildreth" matchup.

Check out this clip from the Navasota Examiner. http://navasotaexaminer.com/articles/2009/11/18/sports/doc4b041bcc29c4a203784151.txt No I havnt.... It comes out today though and the link you sent wont let me in without a user name and password......

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2009, 05:11 PM
No I havnt.... It comes out today though and the link you sent wont let me in without a user name and password......

Just register, its free.

Silsbee1989
Just register, its free. OK:clap:

HEMOTOXIC
Here is the article. I wanted you to see the "flyer".

Rattler-Tiger rematch in first playoff game

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:12 AM CST
When the Rattlers take the field Friday night in the Woodforest Bank Stadium in Conroe, they will be facing a familiar foe, the Silsbee Tigers, a team they eliminated from the 2008 playoffs with a 48-33 win.

While last year’s win was a blowout, this year’s game is expected to be a toss up as the Tigers, (7-4) come into the contest as District 21-3A champions and fresh off an impressive 54-35 Bi-District victory over Huffman.

The Tigers are led by senior quarterback Jeremy Johnson, a legitimate All-State candidate, who has committed to play for West Virginia after graduation. On the year, Johnson has completed 121 of his 216 attempts for 1,838 yards and 17 touchdowns, and was intercepted 12 times. He has rushed for 537 yards and 12 touchdowns in 157 carries.

Johnson’s favorite receiver is junior Prentice Lane who has 30 receptions for 549 yards and four touchdowns.

The Rattler will counter the Tigers and Johnson with quarterback Kye Hildreth, Navasota’s All-State candidate, who has completed 64.44 percent of his passes. The crafty Hildreth has connected with receivers 87 times in 135 attempts for 1,427 yards and 14 touchdowns.

In addition to his passing, Hildreth is the Rattlers’ leading rusher and has picked up 1,015 yards and 15 touchdowns on 269 carries.

While most of last year’s performers are gone, it’s an even bet that Silsbee will be out for revenge. The 2008 blowout is a thing of the past, as this year’s Tigers come from one of the toughest districts in the state, having to face perennial powerhouses West Orange-Stark and Bridge City each year. The Tigers averaged 37 points a game in their 11 outings and only allowed an average of 22.09 to be scored against them.

The Rattlers have averaged 25.4 points a contest and have held opponents to an11.5 points per game average. The Rattler defense shut out three opponents this year.

Navasota should be at full strength Friday using the bi-week to get some of their minor injuries healed. Head coach Lee Fedora, who earlier said he was no fan of open dates in the playoff round, welcomed having last week off.

Following lighter practice sessions last week, the Rattlers stepped it up this week and concentrated on their defense, knowing the game will swing on stopping Johnson, who has led the Tigers all year. One of he keys to last year’s win was the pressure the Rattlers put on Johnson, forcing him to scramble numerous times never allowing him to get into a rhythm. Fans can expect to see the same type of defense this year.

The team that prevails Friday night will meet the winner of the Waco LaVega-Gilmer game, which will also be played Friday night.

waterboy
11-18-2009, 05:14 PM
The team that prevails Friday night will meet the winner of the Waco LaVega-Gilmer game, which will also be played Friday night.
LaVega-Gilmer game is Saturday. Just thought you would want to know.;)

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
LaVega-Gilmer game is Saturday. Just though you would want to know.;)

Yea, I know....But, its the Navasota Examiner. Not to bash them, but, I find something wrong every week.

Silsbee1989
11-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Check out this clip from the Navasota Examiner. http://navasotaexaminer.com/articles/2009/11/18/sports/doc4b041bcc29c4a203784151.txt I guess only the 2 quarterbacks need to show up...lol

I am really amazed on how equally matched these 2 are. Should be a good one.

trojandad
11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I will say this, trojandad. Their losses all came during the first half of the season, and the last two losses of that four-game streak were by a hair to two state-ranked teams. They seem to have gotten stronger as the season goes on and are peaking at the right time. That's never a fun team to play, even for a team as loaded as Navasota.

Navasota's still the favorite in my mind, but I don't think it would surprise many to see Silsbee win.

your right, the best teams this year seem to have a hiccup, save and except for the top 3 or 4....

a few years back we had a nightmare game against silsbee, they scored every two minutes on the clock, so you can estimate the score....42 to nothing in the 1st qtr....they were nice enough to put in subs the 2nd qtr....silsbee could take it the distance and it wouldn't surprise me one iota......

and to comment on the gilmer subject, your right, soon somebody's gonna post that gilmer can beat a team full of Jesus's....back your favorite team but Lord have mercy, if i was playing these days and read all these posts about their invincibility, i'd be wanting and scheming to beat them so badly i couldn't make a fist........my opinion is too many of the posters on here believe in the polls as the Gospel....if the polls were all there was, gilmers name would have been on last years trophy....i'm all for giving gilmer their dues, they have a great track record working, wish we had their season working (though i'm proud of ours this year), but any of us are one or two key injuries (or a key expulsion, huh wo-s?) from having a inferior ending.....

and i'm with everyone else on here, if either navasota or silsbee wins, won't surprise me NEARLY as much as us sneaking by the mustangs.....they both have the talent to win.....

j_dog
11-20-2009, 03:18 PM
still haven't explained THIS years loss to some bad teams, or at least to diboll, you weren't playing last years diboll team, you were playing this years team.....they weren't very good....

So Silsbee had a really bad game earlier in the year? So the team did not even get off the bus for Diboll? So what?

That will not count for diddly tonight. That is useless history.

This will be a tough game for both teams. If one does not bring its "A" game they will be thump thumping next week for sure.

trojandad
11-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
So Silsbee had a really bad game earlier in the year? So the team did not even get off the bus for Diboll? So what?

That will not count for diddly tonight. That is useless history.

This will be a tough game for both teams. If one does not bring its "A" game they will be thump thumping next week for sure.

i'm sorry, we'll forget that loss......all of them......my bad :smoker:

Pawdaddy
11-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Mexia has given up 174 points in their last 6 games..............give up the crack pipe:D [/B]

Aussie, you can title the thread with my name on it please after Mexia UPSETS Carthage. I know, I know........24 straight wins, defending champs, yada, yada, yada..........

Mexia 29, Carthage 27

What's a crack pipe?

lostaussie
11-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
Aussie, you can title the thread with my name on it please after Mexia UPSETS Carthage. I know, I know........24 straight wins, defending champs, yada, yada, yada..........

Mexia 29, Carthage 27

What's a crack pipe? if you hit it i will be the first to tell you..................where in the hell did you get this wild a$$ pick:D but, u have seen Carthage and I have not................we shall see how well you scout..............you told me last week not to worry about Jasper and you were spot on.............let the games begin!!!!