PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Stadium- What is the point of the Video Board???

bp80884
11-15-2009, 11:46 AM
We played at Georgetown last night. A pretty nice stadium albeit a little plain.

My only complaint is the video board. The point of having it is usually to show replays. They took the time to show Saturday Night Live clips and Ferris Buehler clips but if they are not going to show replays, shut it off. It is a distraction otherwise.

TexMike
11-15-2009, 01:28 PM
From the UIL Football Manual:

Video Replay Boards
In stadiums where video replay boards are utilized replays of game action may only be shown once. Slow motion replays may not be shown. Coaches may not utilize video monitors in press box coaches' booths.

wyliefan
11-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Last night at the Wylie game in Midland they had replays in slow motion for both sides. (They did only show them once) I know both Abilene High and Cooper show slow motion replays on close plays or big hits. Interesting rule.

bp80884
11-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Well, they never showed any replays. Lnly the live game.

Only Jerry Jones' Big Screen is better than what you can see on the field live.

To me, they should have just turned it off. Waste of electricity.

Gobbla2001
11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by bp80884
We played at Georgetown last night. A pretty nice stadium albeit a little plain.

My only complaint is the video board. The point of having it is usually to show replays. They took the time to show Saturday Night Live clips and Ferris Buehler clips but if they are not going to show replays, shut it off. It is a distraction otherwise.

video board = more interest in stadium, which then = more games being played there during the playoffs, which = more money for the school district in the long run...

If you build it, they will come...

trojan37
11-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by TexMike

Video Replay Boards
In stadiums where video replay boards are utilized replays of game action may only be shown once. Slow motion replays may not be shown. Coaches may not utilize video monitors in press box coaches' booths.

I saw slow motion replays at the Lorena-Brownsboro game last night in Corsicana.......:thinking:

shamu85
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM

They have shown replays from time to time in some of our regular season games from what I can remember, but why is it a distraction to you as a fan? Do you mean it kept you from concentrating on the game? Really?

Just about every stadium that I have been to with a video board plays those kinds of clips during the games.

bp80884
11-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by shamu85
They have shown replays from time to time in some of our regular season games from what I can remember, but why is it a distraction to you as a fan? Do you mean it kept you from concentrating on the game? Really?

Just about every stadium that I have been to with a video board plays those kinds of clips during the games.

What I meant about being a distraction is that why even show the game on the video board? Everyone in HS football watches the field and the video board shows replays and has some company sponsor the replays.

Georgetown just showed the live game and a few funny SNL and movie clips. The only useful thing the video board did was introduce the players.

Emerson1
11-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TexMike

Video Replay Boards
Most schools don't follow that. In tyler they showed big hits 2 or 3 times and slowed it down right at impact. Seems like a stupid rule

shamu85
11-15-2009, 04:19 PM
What I meant about being a distraction is that why even show the game on the video board? Everyone in HS football watches the field and the video board shows replays and has some company sponsor the replays.

Georgetown just showed the live game and a few funny SNL and movie clips. The only useful thing the video board did was introduce the players.

Part of it I believe, is that you have to have someone specifically operating it. Another is that this is only the second year of the stadium being open. I am not even sure we have the cameras other than the press box view that is showing the game, to give any meaningful replay views.

You really think the stadium is "plain"? That's the first comment like that I have heard from anyone who has been there for the first time. Other than RRISD Stadium (aka The Palace), I don't know of any place that offers the comfort AND parking availability that our place does. The difference is that our place cost half what The Palace did.

navscanmaster
11-15-2009, 06:30 PM
At Navasota's Rattler stadium, replays are not shown. Advertisements are shown during quarter changes and pregame warmups. They also have Rattler football, band, cheerleader, and drill team student pictures. They can do messaging, graphics for both teams, and motivational graphics like a moving meter for loudness. One of the fan favorites is a intro with yellow, glowing snake eyes with coach Fedora saying "no one, and I mean no one, comes into our house and pushes us around." It is followed by big hits and plays from past games to rock music.

I like our scoreboard. It may not have instant replay, but it wouldn't be hard to set up. There is a big crew of about 10 AV students wearing MEDIA shirts running around with cameras to catch fans, players, band, etc. on the big screen. At the playoff game between Rice and Lexington Friday night, they had excellent graphics tailored to both teams. That really makes it a memorable experience for fans and players from smaller schools who have never had that kind of technology showing them off.

clhsdad
11-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Thought the Georgetown Complex was great. After the game started I did not even know the screen was there.