PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park Info

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok, anyone out there have some good insight on what we can expect from Iowa Park? We used to play them when we participated in the Brownwood Classic, but that was years ago.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 02:01 PM
bump...come on people!!! Anyone???

lbjacj
11-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Here's their results for the season.I found no stats on them.It looks like we may be in for another shoot out!Any word on when and where it will be?

8/28/09 TBA vs. Argyle (Argyle, TX) 21-28 (L)

9/04/09 TBA vs. Childress (Childress, TX) 40-7 (W)

9/11/09 TBA vs. Holliday (Holliday, TX) 10-14 (L)

9/18/09 TBA @ Graham (Graham, TX) 6-38 (L)

9/26/09 TBA @ Robinson (Robinson, TX) 40-21 (W)

10/09/09 TBA @ Decatur (Decatur, TX) * 34-28 (W)

10/16/09 TBA @ Bridgeport (Bridgeport, TX) * 21-28 (L)

10/23/09 TBA vs. Hirschi (Wichita Falls, TX) * 35-28 (W)

10/30/09 TBA @ Burkburnett (Burkburnett, TX) * 41-48 (L)

11/06/09 TBA vs. Vernon (Vernon, TX) * 48-0 (W)

GreenMonster
11-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Smashmouth, cram it down your throat, football on offense. Will bring the heat on defense. It ain't real pretty, but in this era of finese, spread offenses it's very effective because everyone works on pass rush and pass coverage everyday in practice. Your corners and safeties better be ready to come up and hit and your LB's will need learn how to scrape hard to the point of attack, oh, by the way it's based out of the Wing T so as soon as you start over committing to the toss sweep they hit you with the counter reverse. If you can remember the way Wimberley played offense during Nelms first stint there in the early 90's that's what you will see out of Iowa Park.

Rocket
11-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Smashmouth, cram it down your throat, football on offense. Will bring the heat on defense. It ain't real pretty, but in this era of finese, spread offenses it's very effective because everyone works on pass rush and pass coverage everyday in practice. Your corners and safeties better be ready to come up and hit and your LB's will need learn how to scrape hard to the point of attack, oh, by the way it's based out of the Wing T so as soon as you start over committing to the toss sweep they hit you with the counter reverse. If you can remember the way Wimberley played offense during Nelms first stint there in the early 90's that's what you will see out of Iowa Park.

LOL It is funny to me that people think this outdated Wing T-Slot T crap still works. Either you move to the spread now, or start getting destroyed on a yearly basis. 3A is in the land of the lost. Your Wing T coaches will soon begin to migrate towards 2A. Until the spread infiltrates that level as well. Pretty soon 1A wil be the only level left to run it effectively. Seeing the mass amounts of horrible 3A teams, I guess the Wing T will work if you want to be an ok team. If you want to win championships or go further than the 3rd round, you better figure something else out.

LH did well because of the talent level, not the offense. It was so easy to figure out once we got a coach that new to read the fullback every play. Seriously, LH? LOL

LH Panther Mom
11-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
LOL It is funny to me that people think this outdated Wing T-Slot T crap still works. Either you move to the spread now, or start getting destroyed on a yearly basis. 3A is in the land of the lost. Your Wing T coaches will soon begin to migrate towards 2A. Until the spread infiltrates that level as well. Pretty soon 1A wil be the only level left to run it effectively. Seeing the mass amounts of horrible 3A teams, I guess the Wing T will work if you want to be an ok team. If you want to win championships or go further than the 3rd round, you better figure something else out.

LH did well because of the talent level, not the offense. It was so easy to figure out once we got a coach that new to read the fullback every play. Seriously, LH? LOL
Do you ever get tired of reading your own dribble? I'm pretty sure about 99% of the rest of us do!

3AFootballfan
11-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Brownwood should know because they got destroyed with the spread last year. The spread will work only with ALOT of talent. A few good players and the spread won't work. A good Wing team can keep your offense off the field. Much rather see a good run offense than a spread any day.

Z-RO
11-14-2009, 06:06 PM
GM's assessment might be a lil homerish, but he isnt off by that much. You have to remember these guys played Argyle and Graham very tough.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 06:07 PM
rockets team makes the play offs and suddenly he is an expert in 3A talent. We shall see...we shall see.

I mean...has Brownwood won any 3A championships this decade? I really dont know...just asking so I can try and gauge the silliness of his posts.

Rocket
11-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
rockets team makes the play offs and suddenly he is an expert in 3A talent. We shall see...we shall see.

I mean...has Brownwood won any 3A championships this decade? I really dont know...just asking so I can try and gauge the silliness of his posts.

I can't wait for Thanksgiving.

Rocket
11-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Do you ever get tired of reading your own dribble? I'm pretty sure about 99% of the rest of us do!

Nope! Run the spread and you are light years ahead of 80% of these 3A defenses.

Also, what happens when you get behind by 14 and your QB can't throw a pass to save his life? I have seen it against LH, Snyder, Dalhart, Sweetwater, on and on... just a question..

What happens when there is a defense that can blow up the run? Wing T is ineffective.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 06:17 PM
I can't wait for Thanksgiving.

Why's that? They're gonna let you decorate the cell block with empty bean cans and plastic shanks?

Rocket
11-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Why's that? They're gonna let you decorate the cell block with empty bean cans and plastic shanks?

Nope, that's not it.

LH Panther Mom
11-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Also, what happens when you get behind by 14 and your QB can't throw a pass to save his life? I have seen it against LH, Snyder, Dalhart, Sweetwater, on and on... just a question..
What happens when the majority of the mass amounts of horrible teams in 3A, at least the ones on the schedule, beat you? Watched the implosion last year for your team....and with some phenomenal talent, at that...just a question...

BEAST
11-14-2009, 06:28 PM
What happens when the majority of the mass amounts of horrible teams in 3A, at least the ones on the schedule, beat you? Watched the implosion last year for your team....and with some phenomenal talent, at that...just a question...

Talent on offense last year yes. Talent on D, not so much. They were very young and inexperienced. Now that we have it both sides mom, I think Rocket kinda proved the point.

BEAST

LH Panther Mom
11-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Talent on offense last year yes. Talent on D, not so much. They were very young and inexperienced. Now that we have it both sides mom, I think Rocket kinda proved the point.

BEAST
The only point that I see is that it doesn't matter WHAT you run on offense or defense, if you've got the talent, team chemistry, lack of injuries and some other stuff, to run it well.

The point he seemed to be trying to make is that only spread teams can/will win. I'll take our 93-23 record over the past 9 seasons with 2 state championships & 2 semifinal appearances over running the spread "because Rocket says so" any day of the week.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by BEAST

BEAST

Wow...Rocket being ridiculous and Beast swearing to it...it dont get much sillier than this. Someone check if their house fell on the wicked Witch of the West.

Budman007
11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
IP is a very good and scrappy team. Their RB was as good as any Bridgeport faced this year. They have some really good athletes and definitely play very physical. The Bulls had to play extremely well to beat them in a close game. Win or lose, you will know you have been in a battle when you play this IP team.

wimbo_pro
11-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
IP is a very good and scrappy team. Their RB was as good as any Bridgeport faced this year. They have some really good athletes and definitely play very physical. The Bulls had to play extremely well to beat them in a close game. Win or lose, you will know you have been in a battle when you play this IP team.

Thanks Budman...good assessment. We will have to play all four Q's in this one.

Rocket
11-14-2009, 07:42 PM
The only point that I see is that it doesn't matter WHAT you run on offense or defense, if you've got the talent, team chemistry, lack of injuries and some other stuff, to run it well.

The point he seemed to be trying to make is that only spread teams can/will win. I'll take our 93-23 record over the past 9 seasons with 2 state championships & 2 semifinal appearances over running the spread "because Rocket says so" any day of the week.

All I am saying is this:

The time is coming soon where simple running offenses aren't going to cut it anymore. It happened in 4A and it will happen in 3A. Run your Slot T, but don't plan on being a big threat. Sweetwater is making their move, and several others will too. They see the writing on the wall.

Dalhart
Snyder
Liberty Hill
La Vega
Sweetwater

These are just some of the old school mentality 3A Teams that struggled in 2009 because they didn't have a passing game. Wasn't about being down or completely about running the spread, it was about getting behind and having NO WAY to get back in the game when they fell behind. Defenses that stop the run in 3A WIN. Why? Cuz there are too many teams that will not pass the ball.

My advice to 3A coaches is this:

Your running game is going to be stopped sooner or later, you might want to think about the passing game and developing it and get a leg up on most of 3A while you can.

Abilene Wylie is a great transition team. They don't sell out to the run, they pass the ball as well. Look at their success if you don't like what I am saying.

Oh and Carthage and Prosper in 2008. The trend for 3A Championships is here.

Formula for Excellence in 3A:
Pass the ball well on offense, stop the run well on defense.

The Prophet Rocket has spoken.

LHPM-

Those accolades you keep boasting about are soon going to be afterthoughts unless some big changes are made. Again, we will see in the next 3 years. You might win some games, but I doubt the MAJOR THREAT label will be used to describe your team. That is just my opinion.

Rocket
11-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by 3AFootballfan
Brownwood should know because they got destroyed with the spread last year. The spread will work only with ALOT of talent. A few good players and the spread won't work. A good Wing team can keep your offense off the field. Much rather see a good run offense than a spread any day.

What happens when your team gets behind and turns the ball over twice? Dead Meat.

We lost because of our defense, not our offense. Not one team stopped us on offense.

RPF2666
11-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Celina has yet to go THERE...

Been in 4 state championship games in a row.

:confused:

grmfan93
11-14-2009, 09:31 PM
yall should have no problem

Z-RO
11-14-2009, 10:10 PM
I dont get Rocket; First Graham needs to start running the football because they are going to get beat by just passing the football. Now he is preaching that if you just run the football it is going to get you beat. This guy comes off as a living, breathing contradiction.

Inmateboss
11-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Z-RO
I dont get Rocket; First Graham needs to start running the football because they are going to get beat by just passing the football. Now he is preaching that if you just run the football it is going to get you beat. This guy comes off as a living, breathing contradiction.

Well Z-RO stop and think about what you just said!!! See you said the magic word GRAHAM That word is like water on the wicked witch, or Holy water on a Vampire. If you want to stir him up just use the Graham word. We are kind of a fetish for him.:eek: :D :D

BEAST
11-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Inmateboss
Well Z-RO stop and think about what you just said!!! See you said the magic word GRAHAM That word is like water on the wicked witch, or Holy water on a Vampire. If you want to stir him up just use the Graham word. We are kind of a fetish for him.:eek: :D :D

I'm sure that's true, especially since we beat yall. Think about it guys, he is talking about 1 dimensional teams.

BEAST

Inmateboss
11-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks Budman...good assessment. We will have to play all four Q's in this one.

I like playing IP, They play good ball. Pretty tough lot's of heart. You'll have to take it, their not going to give it to you. Their kind of stingy with the ball and want to keep it all the time. Good fan support, friendly people. Good all around ball club They'll come to play!

cr180t
11-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I will tell you this the best 3A offense I have ever seen in person was the 2004 Gilmer Team the second was the 2008 Brownwood team.

TheDOCTORdre
11-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
I will tell you this the best 3A offense I have ever seen in person was the 2004 Gilmer Team the second was the 2008 Brownwood team.

you must not get out much :D

cr180t
11-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Not a lot. Just the ones I have seen. Whcih is your favorite NINJA Turtle

snaxet
11-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Coach Ellis played for Gordon Wood in Brownwood during one or two of their state championship runs in the 80's. He is a great coach and we developed a lot of respect for him when he coached in Wimberley. His defensive coordinator played for Wimberley on the 93 team and he is a fine young man. They are both disciplined and work well together. Ellis will have a lot of tricks up his sleeve and Coach Nelms will know the level of intensity that IP will play at. It will be a great game and one that will garner a lot of excitement from both the teams and fans. I had the opportunity to visit with Coach Ellis and Coach Robinson last night during and after the game, as well as Coach Merrell, Wimberley's defensive coordinator with Coach Nelms in the early 90's. It brought back some great memories. Now with respect to the game, yes, it will be smashmouth football. Wimberley will need to play at the same level of intensity as they did last night and avoid mistakes. One only needs to look at the Brookshire Royal - Giddings game to see that records don't necessarily mean a whole lot. That is why the playoffs are so exciting anything can happen.

IP-HAWKS
11-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Iowa Park info.......................

Population 6431

11 miles from Wichita Falls on US 287

Will play with class and is proud to be back in the playoffs!!!

Great job coaches and players!!!!!!!!

GreenMonster
11-15-2009, 03:29 AM
I will agree with Rocket on this one, a least a little bit. Not for the same reasons though. His point about being one dimensional is valid to a degree. So is his point about the Wing T being an antique. I disagree with following the fullback though, because the guards are who you should read to find the ball in the wing t. To stop it cold you gotta have good, fast lb's that can tackle head up and penetrate with your d-line. Penetration forces the offense to stay with the traps and the g's because it messes up the criss crossing backfield action which leads to you needing great lb play to stuff the traps and g's. Where I think that these run oriented antique offenses really fail you though is that you practice against it every day and your secondary suffers against the spread because they don't cover in practice and JV kids just can't give your varsity a good enough look when they line up in it either because they do not understand how to run the spread. Basically, the spread kind of forces you to run the spread in order to get good enough practice reps to stop it on Friday night. What's contradictory in his posts is the he says good 3a football teams need to be able to throw the ball and stop the run. If everyone throws the ball then at some point you better be able to stop the pass. Just saying..... Ironically the spread evolved from the Single Wing just like the Wing T evolved from the Single Wing and the Straight T and the Wishbone evolved from the Straight T and the Wing T. It's all tied together. Further irony lies in that Brownwood has not won any titles since they scrapped Gordon Wood's Wing T playbook, again just saying....... The beauty of the old school Wing T and Wishbone is that IF you run it well you are VERY dangerous because you force opposing defenses to over commit to stopping the run leaving them vulnerable to the big play and the pass because they have 10 or 11 men in the box with no one deep over the top. When you run the ball 95% of the snaps HS kids will cheat and creep up and stop reading their keys and as soon as that happens, boom big play on the 5% that you do pass. This backs the secondary off for a little while and you hammer away until they start creeping up again. Mix in a couple of missed tackles, add in the fact that there is no help over the top, and a fast back can go to the house on any play in the Wing T or the Wishbone. Old school can still be successfull, just most OC's today aren't patient enough to go 3 yards 3 yards 3 yards. The balanced attack that BEAST speaks of is very effective as well, but balance is not as important in the Wing T and Wishbone offenses because they want you to put 11 in the box so they can hurt you bad when they do pass. Rocket is correct though, soon 3A will be almost exclusively spread mainly because it's the COOL thing to do not because of ineffectiveness. He's also correct in that if you get down it's hard catch up quick, but if you are down 2 TD's in the fourth quarter it's usually because the team you are playing is better than you anyways and you will have a hard time catching up no matter what offense you run. So, I think Rocket has a decent argument that the antique offenses are on their way out in 3A. I also think that there will be a handfull of teams the never give up the ghost yet they will still have success because they will be the teams that are hard to prepare for. You just can't teach a cover corner to come up and play the run in one week of preparation and you teach a LB that is used to dropping into coverage how to fill a hole with authority in a week either.

GreenMonster
11-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Z-RO
GM's assessment might be a lil homerish, but he isnt off by that much. You have to remember these guys played Argyle and Graham very tough. Not real sure what is homerish about my original post. IP wants to play keep away and be more physical than their opponents, that's just the way it is. They may not win on the scoreboard but they damn sure plan to make sure you were in a fight to the end.

Z-RO
11-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Not real sure what is homerish about my original post. IP wants to play keep away and be more physical than their opponents, that's just the way it is. They may not win on the scoreboard but they damn sure plan to make sure you were in a fight to the end.

It is obvious you have ties to IP thats what I meant by homerish, no disrespect intended. I dont disagree with anything you have said.

JohnnieLightnin
11-15-2009, 09:31 AM

I hate to break it to you, but your beloved spread offense has its roots set in the veer and borrows some from the wing T. I am not a fan of the wing t or veer myself; however, I acknowledge that it is still an effective offense. Insinuating that the wing t is an offense that less cerebral people or small class football are the only ones still using an "antiquated" style of offense is not very observant. Seems like Permian used this last year and Plano High still ran the split back veer the last time I saw them about 2 or 3 years ago. As a coach, you better learn it because you will come across it one way or another.

TheDOCTORdre
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by cr180t
Not a lot. Just the ones I have seen. Whcih is your favorite NINJA Turtle

Leonardo:D

26 Power
11-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Being a "spread" team or a "power" team doesn't make you a good offense. You have to have balance.

It is indeed very ugly to watch power teams try to come from behind.

It is equally ugly to watch spread teams line up in the shot gun on 3rd and one and get stuffed.

All offenses have their pros and cons. A good offense, no matter how you line up, has balance.

Im not saying you have to run 50% of the time and pass 50% of the time. Im saying you have to be a threat to do both.

I prefer college football to the NFL. However, I find it interesting that at the highest level of football, they still use fullbacks and tight ends. Im not sure what that says, but I'm sure it says something.

Okay, I'm stepping down off my soapbox now.

plpsftball
11-15-2009, 10:44 AM
All I am saying is this:

The time is coming soon where simple running offenses aren't going to cut it anymore. It happened in 4A and it will happen in 3A. Run your Slot T, but don't plan on being a big threat. Sweetwater is making their move, and several others will too. They see the writing on the wall.

Dalhart
Snyder
Liberty Hill
La Vega
Sweetwater

These are just some of the old school mentality 3A Teams that struggled in 2009 because they didn't have a passing game. Wasn't about being down or completely about running the spread, it was about getting behind and having NO WAY to get back in the game when they fell behind. Defenses that stop the run in 3A WIN. Why? Cuz there are too many teams that will not pass the ball.

My advice to 3A coaches is this:

Your running game is going to be stopped sooner or later, you might want to think about the passing game and developing it and get a leg up on most of 3A while you can.

Abilene Wylie is a great transition team. They don't sell out to the run, they pass the ball as well. Look at their success if you don't like what I am saying.

Oh and Carthage and Prosper in 2008. The trend for 3A Championships is here.

Formula for Excellence in 3A:
Pass the ball well on offense, stop the run well on defense.

The Prophet Rocket has spoken.

LHPM-

Those accolades you keep boasting about are soon going to be afterthoughts unless some big changes are made. Again, we will see in the next 3 years. You might win some games, but I doubt the MAJOR THREAT label will be used to describe your team. That is just my opinion. Sounds to me rocket just needs to put on a headset and get out there and coach.

Rocket
11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I will agree with Rocket on this one, a least a little bit. Not for the same reasons though. His point about being one dimensional is valid to a degree. So is his point about the Wing T being an antique. I disagree with following the fullback though, because the guards are who you should read to find the ball in the wing t. To stop it cold you gotta have good, fast lb's that can tackle head up and penetrate with your d-line. Penetration forces the offense to stay with the traps and the g's because it messes up the criss crossing backfield action which leads to you needing great lb play to stuff the traps and g's. Where I think that these run oriented antique offenses really fail you though is that you practice against it every day and your secondary suffers against the spread because they don't cover in practice and JV kids just can't give your varsity a good enough look when they line up in it either because they do not understand how to run the spread. Basically, the spread kind of forces you to run the spread in order to get good enough practice reps to stop it on Friday night. What's contradictory in his posts is the he says good 3a football teams need to be able to throw the ball and stop the run. If everyone throws the ball then at some point you better be able to stop the pass. Just saying..... Ironically the spread evolved from the Single Wing just like the Wing T evolved from the Single Wing and the Straight T and the Wishbone evolved from the Straight T and the Wing T. It's all tied together. Further irony lies in that Brownwood has not won any titles since they scrapped Gordon Wood's Wing T playbook, again just saying....... The beauty of the old school Wing T and Wishbone is that IF you run it well you are VERY dangerous because you force opposing defenses to over commit to stopping the run leaving them vulnerable to the big play and the pass because they have 10 or 11 men in the box with no one deep over the top. When you run the ball 95% of the snaps HS kids will cheat and creep up and stop reading their keys and as soon as that happens, boom big play on the 5% that you do pass. This backs the secondary off for a little while and you hammer away until they start creeping up again. Mix in a couple of missed tackles, add in the fact that there is no help over the top, and a fast back can go to the house on any play in the Wing T or the Wishbone. Old school can still be successfull, just most OC's today aren't patient enough to go 3 yards 3 yards 3 yards. The balanced attack that BEAST speaks of is very effective as well, but balance is not as important in the Wing T and Wishbone offenses because they want you to put 11 in the box so they can hurt you bad when they do pass. Rocket is correct though, soon 3A will be almost exclusively spread mainly because it's the COOL thing to do not because of ineffectiveness. He's also correct in that if you get down it's hard catch up quick, but if you are down 2 TD's in the fourth quarter it's usually because the team you are playing is better than you anyways and you will have a hard time catching up no matter what offense you run. So, I think Rocket has a decent argument that the antique offenses are on their way out in 3A. I also think that there will be a handfull of teams the never give up the ghost yet they will still have success because they will be the teams that are hard to prepare for. You just can't teach a cover corner to come up and play the run in one week of preparation and you teach a LB that is used to dropping into coverage how to fill a hole with authority in a week either.

Unless something changes.... To be successful in 3A Football, you must pass the ball well and stop the run well. Not talking about down the line, I am talking about right now.

Success for one team is not the same as success for another team. Some teams just want to make the playoffs. Some teams want the ring. Some teams just want a winning record. Run the Wing T, but that crap will get shutdown deep in the playoffs. Celina won't even be able to be successful with an all run offense before long. Shoot, they are probably done with their championships for all we know.

The Slot T tell is the Fullback. Not the OLine.

Rocket
11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by plpsftball
Sounds to me rocket just needs to put on a headset and get out there and coach.

Been there and done that. Money isn't good enough.

ProudHornetMom
11-15-2009, 03:20 PM

Amen and Amen.

Rocket
11-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Amen and Amen.

LOL You Slot teams better stick together for moral support. :rolleyes:

Macarthur
11-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Trinity has done pretty well at the 5a level with a run first offense.

Rocket, as others on here have pointed out, it doesn't matter what your base set is, the best offenses have balance.

The problem with your blanket statement is that the speard requires quite a few athletes to run. There are many 3a schools that just don't have the numbers of the kids that it takes to run that offense.

I also agree with GM, in that it's kinda the trendy thing now. In a few years, defenses will catch up and something else will be in vogue. Happens every couple of decades.

And not to sound too old school, but generally a game comes down to who tackles and blocks the best. That's the way football has always been and continues to this day.

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Been there and done that. Money isn't good enough.
I can't think of one GOOD coach that I know (and remember, I'm kind of old) that got into coaching for the money.

wimbo - my apologies for the hijacking :(

Inmateboss
11-15-2009, 10:56 PM

DANG, I was just fixen to say that!!!!
Very good post!

plpsftball
11-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Been there and done that. Money isn't good enough. A real coach isnt in it for the money.

Rocket
11-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I can't think of one GOOD coach that I know (and remember, I'm kind of old) that got into coaching for the money.

wimbo - my apologies for the hijacking :(

Yep. I agree with you 100%. That is why I gave it a shot. I did enjoy giving back to the community I grew up in. It was an honor.

Since 1984 (25 years), there has been a member of my family coaching and teaching in Brownwood schools.

LH_Tuff
11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
The Slot T tell is the Fullback. Not the OLine.

Nothing can be further from the truth ole 'Pocket Rocket'. Teams that consistently try this will (and do) get burned on the outside.

Rocket
11-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by LH_Tuff
Nothing can be further from the truth ole 'Pocket Rocket'. Teams that consistently try this will (and do) get burned on the outside.

Not this season.

DaHop72
11-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Also, what happens when you get behind by 14 and your QB can't throw a pass to save his life? I have seen it against Snyder, ... just a question..

:thinking: :thinking: :smoker: :smoker:

TexanAlum_06
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by snaxet
Coach Ellis played for Gordon Wood in Brownwood during one or two of their state championship runs in the 80's. He is a great coach and we developed a lot of respect for him when he coached in Wimberley. His defensive coordinator played for Wimberley on the 93 team and he is a fine young man. They are both disciplined and work well together. Ellis will have a lot of tricks up his sleeve and Coach Nelms will know the level of intensity that IP will play at. It will be a great game and one that will garner a lot of excitement from both the teams and fans. I had the opportunity to visit with Coach Ellis and Coach Robinson last night during and after the game, as well as Coach Merrell, Wimberley's defensive coordinator with Coach Nelms in the early 90's. It brought back some great memories. Now with respect to the game, yes, it will be smashmouth football. Wimberley will need to play at the same level of intensity as they did last night and avoid mistakes. One only needs to look at the Brookshire Royal - Giddings game to see that records don't necessarily mean a whole lot. That is why the playoffs are so exciting anything can happen.

Flame me all you want but I have no respect for Dusty Robinson. I only had to endure 1 year with him (freshmen in 2003) and he was a demoralizing coach and was somebody you didn't want to play for. I understand coaches using constructive criticism as a tool to motivate players. But he crossed the line with it. There was not one player in our locker room that was sad when he left. We liked and respected Dick Smith (current DC) from his first day at Wimberley.

2sweet
11-16-2009, 08:58 PM
It takes a big man to come on a public forum, and disrespect a well liked person. You may not have seen eye to eye with Coach Robinon, but after six year I say GET OVER IT!!!!! I did nto know Coach robinson in 2003, but he is one of the best coaches to ever come through Iowa Park. The student body has so much respect for he and his coaching ability. We are lucky to have him coaching in Iowa Park. Best of luck Coach Robinson. Show Wimberly the Mean Green Way.
I do believe the agreement in the beginning of this says something to the effect of not bad mouthing others. Might want to check into that Texan Alum!!!

GreenMonster
11-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
We liked and respected Dick Smith (current DC) from his first day at Wimberley. Coach Smith is crazy! One heck of a tennis player as well as the pride of Santa Anna, Tx. Coach Smith is the guy driving the bus in a video of one of the band Bowling For Soup's (hits include 1985, high school never ends, Phineas and Ferb theme) videos. I'm sure he loves the Austin area and all of the live music venues that are abound. I miss hanging out with him.

GreenMonster
11-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by 2sweet
It takes a big man to come on a public forum, and disrespect a well liked person. You may not have seen eye to eye with Coach Robinon, but after six year I say GET OVER IT!!!!! I did nto know Coach robinson in 2003, but he is one of the best coaches to ever come through Iowa Park. The student body has so much respect for he and his coaching ability. We are lucky to have him coaching in Iowa Park. Best of luck Coach Robinson. Show Wimberly the Mean Green Way.
I do believe the agreement in the beginning of this says something to the effect of not bad mouthing others. Might want to check into that Texan Alum!!!

I say, "Stop over-reacting!" Coach Robinson is a good guy, but he's also thick skinned enough to not worry what this one guy who was a freshman the last time they crossed paths has to say about him in an internet message board. Criticism comes with the territory if you wear a headset on a Friday night for a living. Be the bigger man and turn the other cheek just like Coach Ellis and his staff teaches you every day. Play with class, live with class, and post on the downlow with class. Remember that and you will never go wrong.

snaxet
11-16-2009, 10:40 PM
TexanAlum06, nobody asked for your opinion about Coach Robinson. He was and still is a passionate coach who demanded more than you were willing to give. When Dusty played for Wimberley, he was loved and respected by all who watched him play. I know him well enough to say that when he returned as a coach, he simply expected you to play with the same passion, drive and heart that he did. Obviously you didn't; enough said.

IP-HAWKS
11-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Flame me all you want but I have no respect for Dusty Robinson. I only had to endure 1 year with him (freshmen in 2003) and he was a demoralizing coach and was somebody you didn't want to play for. I understand coaches using constructive criticism as a tool to motivate players. But he crossed the line with it. There was not one player in our locker room that was sad when he left. We liked and respected Dick Smith (current DC) from his first day at Wimberley.

Man that is Being Blunt! Forgive and Forget!! Before you rip this guy, take into consideration that the Class that Coach Ellis has, maybe this young man and coach has changed with the Positive Influence his Boss Ellis has taught him!!

TexanAlum_06
11-17-2009, 01:51 AM
TexanAlum06, nobody asked for your opinion about Coach Robinson. He was and still is a passionate coach who demanded more than you were willing to give. When Dusty played for Wimberley, he was loved and respected by all who watched him play. I know him well enough to say that when he returned as a coach, he simply expected you to play with the same passion, drive and heart that he did. Obviously you didn't; enough said.

I actually never had any serious run-ins with him. It was just an observation of mine and many others. After re-reading my original post I now see how it comes across a little harsh. I guess I was just in a bad mood this afternoon when i read his name. My apologies for that.

snaxet
11-17-2009, 10:07 AM
TexanAlum06, apology accepted. I wish you and others had truly gotten to know and appreciate his drive and heart. He is an excellent teacher, outstanding coach, a caring husband and a loving father. What you heard from the the older players that year was a failure on their part to accept the changes that were going on. Reflect on it and you might come to understand it. You made the first step in admitting the harshness of your comment. I appreciate that. Wish you the best.

TexanAlum_06
11-17-2009, 11:59 AM
TexanAlum06, apology accepted. I wish you and others had truly gotten to know and appreciate his drive and heart. He is an excellent teacher, outstanding coach, a caring husband and a loving father. What you heard from the the older players that year was a failure on their part to accept the changes that were going on. Reflect on it and you might come to understand it. You made the first step in admitting the harshness of your comment. I appreciate that. Wish you the best.

Yeah when I really think about it more. He may have left a bad taste in mine and others mouth because we were freshmen at the time and new to the intensity of high school. Up until that point we hadn't experience a intense coach like him. Call it kind of shell shocked by his demeanor and style.

I guess I was just in a bad mood and not in the right frame of mind yesterday when i made my original post. Maybe I should stay off the board when im grumpy ;)

2sweet
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
snaxet- What a wonderful comment you made about Coach Robinson. Not everyone got the opportunity to know him the way that you obviously did. It sounds like the two of you were very close. You seem to know the Coach that most of us know.

Texanalum- It took a big person to appologize. I think everyone appreciates you doing this.

Best of luck to both teams on Friday night.

BullsFan
11-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Maybe I should stay off the board when im grumpy ;)

Why? No one else does. ;)

Best of luck to both teams!!

snaxet
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks 2sweet, I am glad that Coach Robinson is so well liked at IP and that you have gotten to know him for who he really is. He is very special to many of us here in Wimberley. Now with all that said GO TEXANS!!!!!!

It should be a great game. Looking forward to the game and hope that the Texans can survive to play another day.