PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park vs Wimberly

GreenMonster
11-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Iowa Park will face off with Wimberly next week at 7:30 in Brownwood (I'm assuming Friday) in a game of student vs. mentor. Iowa Park's Chris Ellis worked under Wimberly's Weldon Nelms for many years and the two are still close friends. Ironically Weldon will be facing off against another of his former schools this week as he left Iowa Park to go to Glen Rose prior to returning to Wimberly. Should be a fiece battle between two run oriented offenses. Hoping to be able to get out of town in time to see this one, it would be nice to meet up with Coach Nelms and shake his hand, he was a great influence on my choice of profession and a great man to emulate.

lbjacj
11-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Iowa Park will face off with Wimberly next week at 7:30 in Brownwood (I'm assuming Friday) in a game of student vs. mentor. Iowa Park's Chris Ellis worked under Wimberly's Weldon Nelms for many years and the two are still close friends. Ironically Weldon will be facing off against another of his former schools this week as he left Iowa Park to go to Glen Rose prior to returning to Wimberly. Should be a fiece battle between two run oriented offenses. Hoping to be able to get out of town in time to see this one, it would be nice to meet up with Coach Nelms and shake his hand, he was a great influence on my choice of profession and a great man to emulate.

Is the game in Brownwood for sure?

Update.. It is official
Wimberley vs Iowa Park at 7:30 p.m. in Brownwood Friday night

IP-HAWKS
11-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Should be a good game!!!!!!!!

Sweetwater Red
11-15-2009, 02:46 AM
If this was the IP team that they had in 2005, I would say the Hawks roll it. It isn't and
Wimberley just had a crazy comeback against Glen Rose. Given that I have to go with
Wimberley.

GreenMonster
11-15-2009, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
If this was the IP team that they had in 2005, I would say the Hawks roll it. It isn't and
Wimberley just had a crazy comeback against Glen Rose. Given that I have to go with
Wimberley. Just remember that the 2005 version of the Hawks entered the playoffs at 5-5 so anything is possible. In the playoffs all records go out the window and all that matters is who gets hot and executes the best.

wimbo_pro
11-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Just remember that the 2005 version of the Hawks entered the playoffs at 5-5 so anything is possible. In the playoffs all records go out the window and all that matters is who gets hot and executes the best.

Aint that the truth GreenMonster...whoever gets hot....its really that simple.

gold_33
11-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Our run defense is pretty good and I think Nelms will have them well prepared to face this offense but we cannot keep spotting teams scores in the first half and play from behind. If we can come out and play like we do in the second half then i think we will win. Plus if Smith keeps running the way he is right now then we're gonna be tough to beat as long as the D steps up. Our team is young but they've shown to have alot of fight in them and not quit while they're down, every week they find a way to win.

Gobbla2001
11-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Hmm... Saw IP and Wimberley in Bwood in '04...

Why does a town in the state of Texas continue to honor the state of Iowa?

:p

injuredinmelee
11-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Hmm... Saw IP and Wimberley in Bwood in '04...

Why does a town in the state of Texas continue to honor the state of Iowa?

:p

its pronounced io-way park.

Gobbla2001
11-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
its pronounced io-way park.

That makes it worse...

injuredinmelee
11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
That makes it worse...

lol you would have to be from there to understand... lol

GO HAWKS!!!

Gobbla2001
11-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
you would have to be from there

that would suck...

ha jk Iowa Park

wimbo_pro
11-15-2009, 02:14 PM
No!! don't "Go" anywhere Hawks!!! Go Texans!!!! I thought we had cleared this up earlier!!!!

IP-HAWKS
11-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Just remember that the 2005 version of the Hawks entered the playoffs at 5-5 so anything is possible. In the playoffs all records go out the window and all that matters is who gets hot and executes the best.

Actually GreenMonster, The 2005 Hawks entered the playoffs at 4-5 (one game was cancelled because of weather) So that year (2005) people thought the same thing about Iowa Parks record!

IHStangFan
11-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Anyone have any stats for these teams? I'm curious how they stack up statistically.

Who all did they both play? Outcomes of their match ups? etc.

TexanAlum_06
11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Iowa Park's offense worries me a bit. They moved the ball on us well in 2004 when they beat us at the Gordon Wood classic. (we had a top 5 defense that year) and they also had some success against our #1 ranked code red defense in 2005 as well. (even though we won)

We have always had a hard time stopping that Tackle trap play where the QB takes the snap and swings around quickly like hes going to pitch it but then hands it to the HB up the gut. It is a quick hitting play. Iowa Park and Bandera are 2 teams that have gutted us with it before. Call it our cryptonite. The playing action pass off of that play worries me as well.

I think this will be another high scoring affair. The good news is that it seems our offense is starting to peak at the right time. We just have to quit spotting teams a head start by playing like crap in the 1st half. I dont think we have seen a complete game from Wimberley all season. Hopefully that comes this week.

lange4
11-18-2009, 10:45 PM
To do the plays the you are talking about takes superb athletes like Hubble at Bandera. He can make things happen when nothing is there.

wimbo_pro
11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
I got a feeling we can beat IP, as long as we play at least THREE quarters.LOL

Seriously though, if we can put together a complete game, we should win this one, at least thats my take from someone who hasnt personally seen IP play in 5 years or so...and based on what stats I have read and input from this board.

GreenMonster
11-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I think it's going to be pretty even and whoever makes the fewest, least costly mistakes will win. It may even come down to who has the ball last. Should be a good one. Sure wish I could go.