PDA

View Full Version : Loss of teammate inspires Gobblers

Gobbla2001
11-13-2009, 01:31 PM
http://media.victoriaadvocate.com/img/croppedphotos/2009/11/13/S_mfpargmann_111309_c_73607_t630.jpg
Photo by Mike Forman/Victoria Advocate
The Cuero Gobblers take the helmet of Cole Pargmann to every game. Pargmann died from injuries suffered in an ATV accident during the summer.

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
Originally published November 12, 2009 at 11:06 p.m., updated November 13, 2009 at 8:55 a.m.

CUERO - Logan Pickett was surprised when he looked at Cuero's run-through sign before last Friday night's District 28-3A game against Edna and saw an image of No. 22 in the middle.

"They told me they were going to do a sign like that," said Pickett, Cuero's starting center and a senior team captain. "I had no idea they were going to put Cole in the middle of it. I liked it. It was neat."

Seeing the image of Cole Pargmann on the sign not only surprised a majority of the Cuero players and coaches, it also caught the attention of many in the standing-room only crowd at Gobbler Stadium.

Pargmann died in July from injuries suffered in an ATV accident less than a week before beginning two-a-day practices for his senior season.

"I talked to Nancy Arndt and she said did you see the run-through sign and of course I did," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "One of the things she was talking about was how much it meant to the kids.

"I think they do feel the sense of loss and that's something that's pushing this team. Obviously part of it is their closeness with each other. I think Cole has had an effect on this team. I really do."

Pargmann's name remains on the Cuero roster, his locker is still in the field house, and the Gobblers take his helmet to every game.

A tree planted on the Cuero practice field in Pargmann's honor has started to sprout and should provide shade when practices begin next season.

"I don't know if you ever get over something like that," Reeve said. "It's a tragedy that our kids are going to always remember. We do those goal sessions every week where the kids write their goals down. They still put things in there about Cole."

Pargmann broke his leg after rushing for 99 yards during the first game of last season, but returned for the final district game and played a key role in Cuero's drive to the Division I semifinal.

The Gobblers haven't forgotten that Pargmann scored two touchdowns in last year's bi-district win over Somerset as they prepare for Friday night's bi-district game against San Antonio Sam Houston at Matador Stadium in Seguin.

"I think every week and every practice we come out and just want to play for him," Pickett said. "I think he's done a lot for us."

Reeve admits he wasn't sure how the Gobblers would respond to the loss of Pargmann. Cuero was an inexperienced team and Pargmann's leadership was sorely missed.

"This is a very unique group of kids to me," Reeve said. "They didn't have very many starters back. We have a lot of seniors and it's the first time they've really ever contributed on the varsity. They've overcome a lot of different things.

"In seventh grade, they were 5-5. When they were freshmen, they were second in district. They've gotten better. They've really done a good job of realizing hey we're Cuero and it's our year to carry the torch. It just doesn't seem like anything that has come up has bothered them.

"The team unity is very, very good," Reeve continued. "The kids really care about each other."

Pickett has no doubt the loss of Pargmann played a role in unifying the team.

"There's a lot of us that might not have been the closest of friends," Pickett said. "It has definitely brought us closer together and made us play better as a team."

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2009/nov/12/mf_pargmann_111309_73607/?sports&local-sports

ccmom
11-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for sharing that touching story.

rojosgirl
11-13-2009, 02:46 PM
A great story in the paper today. I have said this all along this year. This group has been criticized for one thing or another all year long. They are a band of brothers, looking out for one another. There's a closness between them I haven't seen before. I see it every day. It's a shame that the tragic death of a teammate may be the reason for it all. There's a lot of love and support for the Pargman family out there each and every day. These "Friday night warriors" are a big part of that. Every time they step on the field, CP22 is there with them. And I for one, believe he is smiling down on what he and his brothers have accomplished this year.

We love and miss you Cole!

44INAROW
11-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I wish "someone" had a picture of the run-through sign and could post on here.. It was awesome ;)

Cowboy_Up
11-13-2009, 04:26 PM
It’s easy to get worked up about bad calls, bad breaks, injuries, losses...and all the other things that go with HS football. Sometimes we over react and even use words like tragedy...but nothing that happens in our game compares with what this young man lost or what his friends and family have endured. One time this year I've rooted against this Cuero team. Now I hope they win out...and I think they can.

Gobbla2001
11-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
It’s easy to get worked up about bad calls, bad breaks, injuries, losses...and all the other things that go with HS football. Sometimes we over react and even use words like tragedy...but nothing that happens in our game compares with what this young man lost or what his friends and family have endured. One time this year I've rooted against this Cuero team. Now I hope they win out...and I think they can.

hell yah... and though you might not want it I'm pulling for Edner...

You goin' to Chili Spill this weekend? We're thinkin' bout entering the horseshoe tourney...