PDA

View Full Version : Why some valley teams prefer home and home instead of a neutral site in playffs

Phil C
11-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I will give you an example. Suppose Progreso is to meet Mathis in a playoff game. Basically the neutral sites closest to the halfway point with adequate stadiums are Falfurrias and Kingsville.
It is 87 miles from Progreso to Falfurrias and 107 miles from Progreso to Kingsville. At the same time it is only 45 miles from Mathis to Falfurrias and KIngsville. That means at a neutral site Progreso would have almost twice as far to travel as Mathis to Falfurrias and more than that to Kingsville.
It is 152 miles between Mathis and Progreso. So the valley teams are willing to take a chance and flip for home and home and not have to travel or have to travel much.

I remember when Sinton was going to play Zapata in a softball playoff game and I talked to some of the Zapata officials during the Sinton game and they indicated that they would want to flip home at home. I suggested Falfurrias as a neutral site because Falfurrias is 86 miles from Zapata and 81 miles from Sinton which is close. They said they would prefer home and home. Bottom line is they got their wish and lost the flip and had to come to Sinton where they got beat.