PDA

View Full Version : Three of TXs best sign for college baseball

Old Cardinal
11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Baseball current news recaps:

Orangefield's Jace Statum and Jacob Felts made school history Wednesday as both signed baseball scholarships with Big 12 schools. Statum is expected to play in the outfield and Felts will catch.

Wednesday: Bridge City pitcher/shortstop Matt Hicks posed with Coach Chad Landry as he signed a full-ride baseball scholarship to attend Louisiana-Lafayette.

Pictures were deleted-- for 3A-Downlow

Daddy D 11
11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Baseball can't offer full-rides.

And where are the first 2 going to school? It just said big 12.

Mojado
11-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Baseball can't offer full-rides.

And where are the first 2 going to school? It just said big 12.

They can offer full rides but it's tough because they only have 11.7 scholarships so it doesn't happen that often if ever...

I'm curious about your questions also...

BTW ... Congrats to the boys!

Daddy D 11
11-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Mojado
They can offer full rides but it's tough because they only have 11.7 scholarships so it doesn't happen that often if ever...

I'm curious about your questions also...

BTW ... Congrats to the boys!

It changed 2 years ago to where the most athletic money a baseball player can get is 25%. No more than that. Now he can get money from other outlets because of his "good grades" or he can conveniently get a couple prestigious university scholarships but only 25% can go to him for athletics.

Mojado
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
It changed 2 years ago to where the most athletic money a baseball player can get is 25%. No more than that. Now he can get money from other outlets because of his "good grades" or he can conveniently get a couple prestigious university scholarships but only 25% can go to him for athletics.

:thumbsup:

Old Cardinal
11-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Statum is going to TX A&M and Felts to U. of Houston...

It is interesting a Bridge City great Pitcher(Caleb Kellogg) went to play his Senior year at DeQuincy. La--something about living in LA would get him more scholarship money. ULL wanted both of the Junior Pitchers from Bridge City, which are now Seniors this season.
Ironically, Matt Hicks is now a Senior in BC and he too will pitch on scholarship for ULL.
He is being written up in local papers as getting a full scholarship--that may also included academics: he is a smart student.

Had BC had both of these Pitchers back as Seniors this year they were a prime candidate for State Champion...BC is still loaded but losing Caleb Kellogg to LA did not help the playoff cause.

Anyway, Congrats to these fine Uth.

Daddy D 11
11-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Congrats to those guys!

eagles_victory
11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Statum is going to TX A&M and Felts to U. of Houston...

It is interesting a Bridge City great Pitcher(Caleb Kellogg) went to play his Senior year at DeQuincy. La--something about living in LA would get him more scholarship money. ULL wanted both of the Junior Pitchers from Bridge City, which are now Seniors this season.
Ironically, Matt Hicks is now a Senior in BC and he too will pitch on scholarship for ULL.
He is being written up in local papers as getting a full scholarship--that may also included academics: he is a smart student.

Had BC had both of these Pitchers back as Seniors this year they were a prime candidate for State Champion...BC is still loaded but losing Caleb Kellogg to LA did not help the playoff cause.

Anyway, Congrats to these fine Uth. :thinking: when did Houston join the big 12 :thinking:

waterboy
11-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I also hear that Nick Brumlow, pitcher from Bullard, has signed with LSU.

Daddy D 11
11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
They're in the Big 12 east...

Old Cardinal
11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Look, I just copy/pasted a local article LOL

But I did trace what I hope is the correct info on where all these fine athletes will wind up LOL.

TheDOCTORdre
11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
:thinking: when did Houston join the big 12 :thinking:
we should replace a Big XII north school with houston...and TCU while were at it...And then we could rename the Big XII South to the Big XII Texas....UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU, and Houston...

Daddy D 11
11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Just kick ISU out and let them join the big 10. Then let TCU join. Screw UofH:p :D Maybe in another 10 years.

TheDOCTORdre
11-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Just kick ISU out and let them join the big 10. Then let TCU join. Screw UofH:p :D Maybe in another 10 years.

Does it piss anyone else off that the Big 10 has 11 teams?

ronwx5x
11-12-2009, 04:13 PM
And move who to the north? OU or Okie Light. And UofH, never!

TheDOCTORdre
11-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
And move who to the north? OU or Okie Light. And UofH, never!

Afraid that Tech will have one more loss if U of H is in the Big XII:D :D

ronwx5x
11-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Afraid that Tech will have one more loss if U of H is in the Big XII:D :D

That too! I just remember the last time they were really good, they got gutted by the NCAA. Deja Vu?

Has Tech EVER beaten UofH?

TheDOCTORdre
11-12-2009, 04:28 PM
That too! I just remember the last time they were really good, they got gutted by the NCAA. Deja Vu?

Has Tech EVER beaten UofH?

Yeah they have the all time record is U of H 18-10-1

ronwx5x
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Yeah they have the all time record is U of H 18-10-1

Tech is 6-13-1 against UH since 1976 when Houston joined the SWC. They had not played since '95 until this year.

TheDOCTORdre
11-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech is 6-13-1 against UH since 1976 when Houston joined the SWC. They had not played since '95 until this year.

i was going by this:

Houston leads the series 17-10-1, but Texas Tech has won five straight meetings, including a 38-26 win Nov. 25, 1995, at the Astrodome.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview?gameId=292690248

Buffgal
11-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Jacob Felts signs with Univ of Houston????

I had read all summer that he had committed to University of Texas. He is the real deal but thought he was going to be a Longhorn :thinking: Are you sure about the Cougar baseball?

Trey Masek signs with Texas Tech & Ty Marlow signs with Texas A & M.

4a baseball- Brenham's Chase Wellbrock (Univ of Houston) and Erich Weiss (Univ of TX)

Daddy D 11
11-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Those two Brenham kids are studs. Saw them play in the state tourny.

Old Cardinal
11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I found out that Felts is going to the U. of TX as we originally heard. Sorry but I had erronous information...

XMan
11-12-2009, 10:24 PM
The new scholarship rule states that each player must get a minimum percentage of a scholarship and the max can of course be 100%. This keeps schools from giving players a "parking pass" scholarship. Its just a shame that football gives 90 or so scholarships for 22 starters and basketball gives >10 scholarships for 5 starters and baseball gets 11.7 for 9 players. Just doesnt seem fair does it?

Mojado
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by XMan
The new scholarship rule states that each player must get a minimum percentage of a scholarship and the max can of course be 100%. This keeps schools from giving players a "parking pass" scholarship. Its just a shame that football gives 90 or so scholarships for 22 starters and basketball gives >10 scholarships for 5 starters and baseball gets 11.7 for 9 players. Just doesnt seem fair does it?

It's completely fair... Now back to football...:D

block&tackle
11-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Sorry didn't see that someone else had already posted correction to this statement.

88bobcats
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Watch out, base stealers!

Catcher Jacob Felts pop time to 2nd is faster than 1.82 seconds! I only wish he and Statum had both signed with my beloved Aggies.

Jacob has, in fact, signed with the 'Horns. It made for quite a picture.....two current Bobcat teammates signing together, one in maroon and one in burnt orange.

http://www.kogt.com/TEMP/Statum-Felts.jpg

Buffgal
11-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Congrat's to these two outstanding players.

Gotta love that picture.........even Mr. Einstein approves!!!!