PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City to play a team short on Coaches

Old Cardinal
11-11-2009, 11:25 PM
By Jessica Willey

CLEVELAND, TX (KTRK) -- It was a couple of Cleveland Independent School District students who got into a fight, but three employees of Cleveland High School are under investigation for what happened after the brawl.

While many other teams have called it a season, Cleveland High School is still on the practice field. Their first playoff game is Friday and they'll be two coaches short.

Coaches Toby Belt and Quirino Silva -- both assistants -- were suspended without pay last week. They are accused of tampering with evidence that may have implicated a varsity football player.

"The football team comes first," mother Dena Sandoval said. "It always has and always will."
Story continues below:

The incident started when Sandoval started asking questions about injuries her son suffered during a fight at school. He claims a football player stabbed him and a district police officer beat him up.

Both Sandoval and the district were hoping surveillance video would shed some light on the situation, but when district police went to retrieve it, the tape was gone.

According to CISD's superintendent, Belt and Silva were let into the locked room where the school's surveillance videos are kept by the principals' secretary, Maxine Zeringue.

She's been fired over the situation. The coaches -- who have contracts -- have been suspended. While they say it was an accident, the superintendent knows how it looks.

Superintendent Kerry Cowart declined an on camera interview, saying "We don't have that video and it doesn't look good. I'm very disappointed. As district champions for a second year in a row, we should be celebrating, highlighting students and not the actions of adults."

"Accidents like that don't happen," Sandoval said.

The district police will meet with the Liberty County District Attorney on Wednesday, who will then decide whether the coaches will face criminal charges of tampering with evidence. Then next Monday, the School Board will decide whether the coaches should lose their jobs.

No one answered when Eyewitness News went by the employees' homes. The superintendent said the lock to the video room has now been changed, and only the district police chief has a key.

trojandad
11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
with two coaches gone they still have more than us.......lol

WOS1
11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
WOW!:eek: :eek: :eek:

ProudHornetMom
11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Double WOW. :eek: :eek: :eek:

shamu85
11-12-2009, 04:03 PM
How does anyone with a lick of sense not think they will get caught doing something like that? That is some blatant stupidity for you.

Also, how odd is it that the kid claims a district cop beat him up? What the heck is going on in Cleveland anyway?

trojandad
11-12-2009, 10:41 PM
i'm waiting to see coach tullos' response to this.....i understand he can't say SOME things due to legalities, but he's had a real popular ride up until now without having many issues that would make a returning player-turned-coach be deemed unpopular, part of the reason he's been able to convert so many of the basketball-only athletes to play football is his popularity....i'm curious how hard nosed he's going to show himself to his players and community......

people sometimes forget indians record during many of the years with the previous coach were just barely superior to tarkington because he didn't even try to convert the basketball only athletes to football.....i hope this incident doesn't cost coach tullos a lot of good will collateral with everyone but i just can't imagine a scenario he can just stay silent on an incident caused by a coach that he hired or agreed to work with.....coaches not handling this type of situation have been known to be asked to go bye bye before the smoke clears......

TheDOCTORdre
11-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Double WOW. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Triple WOW :eek: :eek: :eek:

bobcat4life
11-12-2009, 11:05 PM
WOW!! What is going on there?