PDA

View Full Version : Seeing popups on 3ADL?

sinton66
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Have you noticed certain words in text appearing in green? It happens only on the user's end. If you download and use Google tool bar, they have figured a way to pick certain words in text and convert them to hyperlinks. If you click on them, advertisements pop up. I believe Yahoo tool bar can also (and there may be others). I never use anything but the browser default tool bar.

Nothing is being changed on the 3ADL site. Our system is locked down tight and our webmaster is the only one that can make fundamental changes. As of yet, we don't know any way to prevent people from seeing it except to advise folks to not use those toolbars.

44INAROW
11-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Once I got rid of the Google ToolBar - my "green words" stopped appearing ;)

Ranger Mom
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
What's strange is that I have and am currently using the google toolbar and have never run into that problem.

DaHop72
11-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What's strange is that I have and am currently using the google toolbar and have never run into that problem. Yes, but even Chuck Norris is afraid of you. :D :kiss: :kiss:

sinton66
11-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What's strange is that I have and am currently using the google toolbar and have never run into that problem.

I believe it is only the latest version. Earlier versions did not do this. I just noticed it this week on my wife's desktop at home. I haven't fully investigated it, there may even be some "settings" in it that you can turn off.

This at least appears to be a sneaky way around having to pay websites for advertising.

yoe64
11-11-2009, 06:29 PM
get a mac. problem solved

Emerson1
11-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by yoe64
get a mac. problem solved
That would do nothing about a program you voluntarily installed doing what it's supposed to do. :rolleyes:

yoe64
11-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm just sayin no pop ups on a mac.

Yoe_09
11-12-2009, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yoe64
I'm just sayin no pop ups on a mac. [/QUOTE

actually im about to get windows 7 on my new laptop, cant wait for the snap feature.

IHStangFan
11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
get a mac. problem solved :clap: :D

IHStangFan
11-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yoe64
I'm just sayin no pop ups on a mac. [/QUOTE

actually im about to get windows 7 on my new laptop, cant wait for the snap feature. Just a retuned version of Vista w/ a couple of more options. I've had the beta version, and the release candidate version for about 6 months now. Not impressed.

Yoe_09
11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Just a retuned version of Vista w/ a couple of more options. I've had the beta version, and the release candidate version for about 6 months now. Not impressed.

in the end Mac and Pc fans dont really get along on this issue. I personally use a PC and probably always will, but dont really have a problem with mac.

IHStangFan
11-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
in the end Mac and Pc fans dont really get along on this issue. I personally use a PC and probably always will, but dont really have a problem with mac. My "personal" computer is a Mac Book Pro....and I LOVE it...it's hands down the best machine I've ever used.....but I DO still have Windows based machines laying around too...one is a media server, and my "work" computer that I drag around and beat up on is a pc. I'm running XP on it, as it's, in my opinion the most stable Windows operating system out there. Vista is junk, and Windows 7...while it's pretty...is just what I call a "revision" of Vista.

Yoe_09
11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
My "personal" computer is a Mac Book Pro....and I LOVE it...it's hands down the best machine I've ever used.....but I DO still have Windows based machines laying around too...one is a media server, and my "work" computer that I drag around and beat up on is a pc. I'm running XP on it, as it's, in my opinion the most stable Windows operating system out there. Vista is junk, and Windows 7...while it's pretty...is just what I call a "revision" of Vista.

I currently am using XP on my laptop which is about to be replaced and am using Vista on my desktop. I really kind of like the way Vista works. My computer has not....had any viruses and my performance is as good as when i first plugged it in. I personally like the features that are on Vista but will soon be upgrading for 7.

sinton66
11-12-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm just sayin no pop ups on a mac.

The mac version of Google Chrome is due out in December. Most likely will do the same if you download and use it.

CHS_CG
11-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I have yahoo toolbar and I have never had that problem.... I think I have google toolbar installed but I do not use it. Going to get windows 7 this weekend.. cashin in my free upgrade!

IrishTex
11-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The mac version of Google Chrome is due out in December. Most likely will do the same if you download and use it.

Thanks for your "investigative" solution Tony. I had no idea what was going on here. I had downloaded Google Chrome and it looks like it was the culprit on my desktop.

I'll be deleting it soon.

:D

yoe64
11-12-2009, 10:38 PM
My "personal" computer is a Mac Book Pro....and I LOVE it...it's hands down the best machine I've ever used.....but I DO still have Windows based machines laying around too...one is a media server, and my "work" computer that I drag around and beat up on is a pc. I'm running XP on it, as it's, in my opinion the most stable Windows operating system out there. Vista is junk, and Windows 7...while it's pretty...is just what I call a "revision" of Vista.

Windows is doing everything they can to keep up with Mac.

almost every new feature on 7 is pretty much the same as the mac. Just sayin..

LH Panther Mom
11-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
Tony.
:thinking:

SintonFan
11-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Have you noticed certain words in text appearing in green? It happens only on the user's end. If you download and use Google tool bar, they have figured a way to pick certain words in text and convert them to hyperlinks. If you click on them, advertisements pop up. I believe Yahoo tool bar can also (and there may be others). I never use anything but the browser default tool bar.

Nothing is being changed on the 3ADL site. Our system is locked down tight and our webmaster is the only one that can make fundamental changes. As of yet, we don't know any way to prevent people from seeing it except to advise folks to not use those toolbars.

No problem here on several different computers using the google toolbar.:)

IHStangFan
11-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Windows is doing everything they can to keep up with Mac.

almost every new feature on 7 is pretty much the same as the mac. Just sayin.. I've been running both OS's for the better part of a year. OS-X is a much better operating system in my opinion. W7 to me is pretty and has lots of neat "gadgets"...but is nothing more than a revision of Vista. I've had nothing but problems w/ Vista on several machines. The main thing I cannot get past is what a resource whore it is. W7 IS better about that, but still not as smooth and fast as OS-X.

Mcguirk
11-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Google is the devil!:mad: They act like a bunch of spoiled kids that think the laws don't apply to them. I constantly scan my computers registry to remove any google file/program I can find!

sinton66
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
If any of you use Google Chrome and know how to turn off this particular feature, please share your wisdom with the rest of us.

gibby
11-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Installed Win 7 on a network. It was very easy. I never recomend
Vista to any clients. Win 7 is a bit Macish.

Keith7
11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That would do nothing about a program you voluntarily installed doing what it's supposed to do. :rolleyes:

aww mac envy.. it's so pitiful