PDA

View Full Version : Fort Stockton VS Andrews

tex_male
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
This maybe the year that Fort Stockton wins their first play-off game.

tex_male
11-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I believe Fort Stockton has a good chance to win thier first playoff game.

Then they will handle Abilene Wylie:D

Ranger Mom
11-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Well I don't even know what to think anymore.

We beat Fort Stockton and then got beat by Andrews....so I don't even know WHO has the better chance.

It didn't even dawn on me that we also beat Lubbock Estacado during the season and they are playing Abilene Wylie Saturday!!!

tex_male
11-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Greenwood beat Fort Stockton
Fort Stockton beat Andrews
Andrews beat Greenwood
Lakeview beat Greenwood
Fort Stockton beat Lakeview

:D

Bullaholic
11-10-2009, 05:38 PM
This is known as the "Outback" Bowl.... It's a long ways from anywhere. :D

Ranger Mom
11-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Where is this game being played???

tex_male
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Big City of Kermit, Texas. :D

Andrews (4-6), District 3, vs. Fort Stockton (7-3), District 4, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Walton Field, Kermit.

garciap77
11-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by tex_male
I believe Fort Stockton has a good chance to win thier first playoff game.

Then they will handle Abilene Wylie:D

I think they will give us a better game than Monahans would, but I don't think they will beat us! :D

WTF-82
11-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
I think they will give us a better game than Monahans would, but I don't think they will beat us! :D

Right!!!

tex_male
11-10-2009, 11:33 PM
You know what? I was thinking the same thing!:D

It's hard on us playing in such a tough District that we have. Lots of nail biting games.:D

tex_male
11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
WOS87 would know better then me but I think this is Fort Stocktons 11th time to be in the playoffs and is 0-10 right now.

yoe64
11-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Ft. Stockton has never won a playoff game?

Sweetwater Red
11-11-2009, 02:52 PM
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/fortstockton.gif

yoe64
11-11-2009, 04:50 PM
wow.
Is Ft. Stockton fairly new?

Sweetwater Red
11-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by yoe64
wow.
Is Ft. Stockton fairly new?

At the left of the chart is the year of each playoff game. Their first
one was in 1923 according to WOS87's info.

yoe64
11-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Oh, oops didn't look at the years. just saw a few games in their playoff history.

tex_male
11-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Will history be made tonight?

This game is 22 miles up the road from Monahans, and I work with a few guys from Fort Stockton so I think I will try to go to this game.

tex_male
11-13-2009, 02:33 PM
http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/andrews-5064-bodytext-fort.html

Football: Fort Stockton, Andrews meet again with much more at stake
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
November 11, 2009 9:09 PM
BY LEE SCHEIDE JR.
Both Andrews coach Jeff Cordell and Fort Stockton coach Rex Whitfield know what the difference was when the teams met in Week 2 of the regular season in a nondistrict game at the Mustang Bowl.

“Turnovers,” Cordell said.

“Takeaways,” Whitfield said.

That’s because during Fort Stockton’s 32-21 victory that night, Andrews turned the ball over seven times, including a fumble on the game’s first play and a fumble on a punt return in the third quarter that helped wipe out its lead.

The Panthers recovered and running back Edgar Wislar scored to put the Panthers ahead for good.

Now, the Mustangs (4-6) have a chance to redeem themselves, while the Panthers (7-3) have a chance to make school history when the teams collide at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Kermit’s Walton Field in a Class 3A Division I bi-district playoff game.

For Andrews, it’s the first time since 2007 that it has qualified for a postseason berth. In Cordell’s mind, the final half of the season tells a lot about his team.

“The kids have really been resilient all year,” Cordell said. “We had a rough start at 0-4, but the kids believed and we really have been in a playoff mode for a while.

“It was nerve-wracking after last season and all the disappointments. But this team never hung its head or quit and just continued to improve every week.”

Quarterback Hunter Hicks and running back Jorge Gutierrez led the Mustangs, with Gutierrez just recently returned from an injury. He showed no ill effects from the time off, scoring two touchdowns in Andrews’ 38-0 victory last week over Brownfield.

The scoring runs, however, weren’t Gutierrez’s biggest impact on the team, according to Cordell.

“Jorge’s a big boost, not only from the athletic standpoint, but a leadership standpoint as well,” the Andrews coach said. “He’s one of the emotional leaders on the field and it was a big morale boost for the team.

“Plus, though he’s not a big guy, he likes to run downhill and deliver the blow instead of receive it. He understands how to read the blocks in front of him and gets the most out of every run.”

Also getting the most out of his skill is Panthers quarterback D.J. Galvan, who has rushed for 1,238 yards this season, along with passing for 1,007.

His ability to find the hole against the Mustangs in the first meeting resulted in a 42-yard run that moved Fort Stockton to the Andrews’ 31. Eventually, Galvan found the end zone on a 1-yard run that cut the Mustangs’ lead to one, 14-13, and set up the second-half comeback by the Panthers.

But first-year head coach Whitfield knows that if his team is going to make history with its first playoff victory in 12 trips to the postseason, the team with have to play at another level.

The Panthers have made the postseason four years in a row and Whitfield understands the task in front of his team. Every time the kids break a huddle during practice, the cry “Make history,” can be heard.

“The kids are excited; it’s a big deal,” Whitfield said. “We tried to simulate last week as a playoff game and give them something different to do to get ready for this week.

“This is my first year here and it’s always hard to beat someone twice in a season. We have to go in there with a clean slate, work hard and give the best effort we can.”

>> ANDREWS VS. FORT STOCKTON

What: Class 3A Division I bi-district playoff.

When: 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Where: Walton Field, Kermit.

Records: Andrews 4-6; Fort Stockton 7-3.

Last meeting: Sept. 11, Fort Stockton 32, Andrews 21.

Radio: Andrews (KACT, 105.5-FM); Fort Stockton (KFST, AM-860).

thelegend02
11-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Fort Stockton wins this one